Why Does Fox `news` Operate In Thailand?

baboon

Look, they concentrate on an audience who have no interest in Thailand or indeed anywhere else in the world unless America has a bone to pick with them.

Did any of you see any coverage of the terrible floods in Bangkok? Of the human suffering? But hey - a kitten was rescued in Arkansas. Do they honestly think a Thai/ Brit/ German etc. is interested?

Why DO they bother?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watch it sometimes to watch what the American right wing propaganda machine is spinning at the moment. Its scary to know they are the most influential media organ in the US because they talk such total garbage. Watch for their classic tactic of saying SOME PEOPLE SAY constantly. Such as -- some people say Obama supports man-dog marriage. Never say who said it. Its always the Fox News fiction writers. You're right, they don't cover Thailand the way BBC and Al Jazeera English do. I wish my local cable had CNN US version, it doesn't even have CNN international but I think the US version is much better.

Edited by Jingthing

I noticed the floods mentioned a couple times. They got more coverage than most foreign disasters because of the hard drive price spike and Toyota factories in the US shutting down due to lack of parts.

Anyway I don't watch Fox News much anymore because it's too focused on domestic US politics. It's just so hard to get upset about American politics after living in Thailand. As bad as US politicians have been at least we don't have it as bad as here. I'm comforted by the fact that even minor scandals here would be career ending disasters with possible prison time at home.

I was in Bangkok on the day of the tsunami staying in a hotel that had Fox News as one of its cable channels. All they broadcast was a suit with a picture of the waves in the background while the suit told us how wonderful the American people were for donating loads of money. There wasn't a single word about the effects of the tsunami on the people who were suffering. It was disgraceful and wasn't fit to be called 'news'.

I watch it sometimes to watch what the American right wing propaganda machine is spinning at the moment. Its scary to know they are the most influential media organ in the US because they talk such total garbage. Watch for their classic tactic of saying SOME PEOPLE SAY constantly. Such as -- some people say Obama supports man-dog marriage. Never say who said it. Its always the Fox News fiction writers. You're right, they don't cover Thailand the way BBC and Al Jazeera English do. I wish my local cable had CNN US version, it doesn't even have CNN international but I think the US version is much better.

I have to say that the BBC you get in Thailand is absolute rubbish and not a patch on the 'proper' Beeb. You might want to go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/ or http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/ and click on 'Listen' to get the flavour of the real thing.

Edited by endure

I found Al Jazeera head and shoulders above the rest during the violent Bangkok protests last year.

They gave equal air time to spokespersons from both sides of the equation.

I watched them last month and was very impressed. Pity we can't get them in the UK.

see how long you can watch it without gagging

Some people say Obama is a Muslim terrorist and hates puppies. Heard that on Fox News.

I just returned from the states and watched cnbc talk about out right rubbish with a left wing agenda after watching them you would think that obama has created jobs is saving the economy and that the republicans were in control of the house and senate for the last 30 yrs. Fox news is as fair and balanced as any news channel on US tv having said that I am in Thailand and would prefer to know a bit more about world news Al J is my pick when i want to see what is happening in asia BBC i as others have posted left wing rubbish.

Fox had plenty of coverage of the redshirt troubles and covers everything that the other news services do. The news is pretty much the same as any other channel and the commentary is just that, commentary.

They mostly have conservative commentators, but there are a number of liberals as well. I like watching Fox, the BBC and Al Jazeera for different aspects of each channel, but I prefer Fox because of people like Chris Wallace and Bill O'Reilly whose shows I really enjoy.

Is it really that hard to figure out why FOX, US based news is aired in Thailand? Perhaps because there are American Expats that want to watch that particular news channel with a focus on US based news. Much like some Japanese channels, Russian channels, etc, etc.

Or is this just a convenient excuse to make the topic Thai related so you can have your little rant on FOX news. Does the OP feel all better now?

It is that hard to figure it out?

Syndication and content. Pure and simple. Who cares if there is an audience for it? The big media companies pack and rack a variety of channels together for the local cable operator on a take it or leave it basis.

I know some cable companies here carry both Fox News and Fox Business channels. News Corporation owns Star TV, and News Corp. has long targeted Asia as a huge market. I assume they bundle Fox News (aka Faux News) and Fox Business in for service providers, perhaps at little or no cost, in order to expand that particular brand?

Fox & Friends is easily one of the funniest shows on TV.

It is that hard to figure it out?

Syndication and content. Pure and simple. Who cares if there is an audience for it? The big media companies pack and rack a variety of channels together for the local cable operator on a take it or leave it basis.

That is the kind of answer I was aiming at in this thread. Cheers, mate!

Fox had plenty of coverage of the redshirt troubles and covers everything that the other news services do. The news is pretty much the same as any other channel and the commentary is just that, commentary.

They mostly have conservative commentators, but there are a number of liberals as well. I like watching Fox, the BBC and Al Jazeera for different aspects of each channel, but I prefer Fox because of people like Chris Wallace and Bill O'Reilly whose shows I really enjoy.

Hear hear! thumbsup.gif

Watch for their classic tactic of saying SOME PEOPLE SAY constantly. Such as -- some people say Obama supports man-dog marriage. Never say who said it. Its always the Fox News fiction writers.

Good observation!

The liberal media equivalent, though, is "activists said that...."

Same BS, different agenda.

Watch for their classic tactic of saying SOME PEOPLE SAY constantly. Such as -- some people say Obama supports man-dog marriage. Never say who said it. Its always the Fox News fiction writers.

Good observation!

The liberal media equivalent, though, is "activists said that...."

Same BS, different agenda.

Gotta' love Megyn Kelly calling pepper spray a "food product". :whistling:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LiberalViewer#p/u/0/1N6mBckWAGw

While still leading in the ratings FNC's ratings are on a significant downward trend. Some theorize that people eventually get sick of the bias, negativity and doom & gloom, the last of which did Glenn Beck in.

Gotta' love Megyn Kelly calling pepper spray a "food product". :whistling:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LiberalViewer#p/u/0/1N6mBckWAGw

While still leading in the ratings FNC's ratings are on a significant downward trend. Some theorize that people eventually get sick of the bias, negativity and doom & gloom, the last of which did Glenn Beck in.

There is a downward trend of all main stream media.

Be it extremists like Fox or the lies of the politically correct "liberal" media.

The future is in the internet. 90% there is BS too, but you can find good and unbiased information about almost anything if you make some efforts.