Which Visa, For Long Term Stay

High can some one advise me on what is the best hassle free visa to enable me to to stay in Thailand long term? i will be living in Non Bua Lamphu, i really dont want a retirement visa, and dont need a work visa, my gf has a bit of land and i might want to set up a hydroponic vegetable business on her property, so i think i can be a consultant to her? any help would be of great help, i will be applying for the visa in Australia, and i see some visas you have to do border runs? how long can you do this and still be legal?

Cheers

Scoop1

All visas limit stay to 90 days without a border crossing. The pre-approved retirement O-A visa/extension allows one year stay but does not allow work. That will require normal proof of 800k in bank or income 65k, over age 50, medical, police check. The alternative is extension from a non immigrant entry inside Thailand which requires the 800k in Thai bank 2 months or 65k income in letter from your Embassy or combination. But as said no work on such an entry.

Your best short term solution would be a double entry tourist visa, Nong Bua Lam Phu is not that far from the Laotian border so crossing the border should not be too much of an inconvenience. If you decide to apply for retirement, the tourist visa can be converted to a Non-O and extended for retirement. The financial requirement stands, but no medical or police check. You can not work on either.

Lopburi3: correction noted and put in memory, all be it short!

Edited by wayned

Your best short term solution would be a double entry tourist visa, Nong Bua Lam Phu is not that far from the Laotian border so crossing the border should not be too much of an inconvenience. If you decide to apply for retirement, the tourist visa can be converted to a Non-O and extended for retirement. The financial requirement stands, but no medical or police check. You can not work on either.

Thank you, so if i get that visa, a double entry tourist visa. how long does it last, can i just keep getting it stamped every 90 days, for how longcan i keep doing this for, this what i dont understand

Scoop1

Thank you, so if i get that visa, a double entry tourist visa. how long does it last, can i just keep getting it stamped every 90 days, for how longcan i keep doing this for, this what i dont understand

Scoop1

To get the maximum time on one visa, you could get a triple entry tourist visa which is also valid for six months. If the visa is issued close to your departure date and you manage your extensions and two border crossings correctly you can get 260+ days. On the first entry you get 60 days permission to stay and then extend for 30 days at immigration in Thailand (1900 baht). On the last day of the extension exit and re-enter and you wiil get 60 days. Extend that for another 30 (1900 baht) Now you have to be careful! Even if the 30 day extension hasn't expired, the day before the VISA expires you must exit and re-enter Thailand. You will get 60 days and that can be extended for another 30 (1900 baht). When that extension expires you must leave and apply for a new visa. The cost of the initial visa is determined by the number of entries and the maximum is 3 and it is valid for entry 6 months from date of issue.

Edited by wayned

In reading your post, I don't think anyone has addressed the basic problem you are faced with: you want to set up a hydroponic vegetable farm on her property. You need a work permit to do ANY work in Thailand, paid for or not. You won't be able to get a work permit to set up a business, unless you actually set up a Thai company, hire four workers for each work permit you require, and get a B (business) visa. On that basis you could stay here indefinitely, IF you continue to meet the business visa requirements..

If, as you state, you don't need a 'work visa', then what is your objection to a retirement visa? Or an extension of stay, based on retirement? If you are 50 years old or over, those would be your best options for long stay, assuming you don't work.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you have few options.

Scoop1

To get the maximum time on one visa, you could get a triple entry tourist visa which is also valid for six months. If the visa is issued close to your departure date and you manage your extensions and two border crossings correctly you can get 260+ days. On the first entry you get 60 days permission to stay and then extend for 30 days at immigration in Thailand (1900 baht). On the last day of the extension exit and re-enter and you wiil get 60 days. Extend that for another 30 (1900 baht) Now you have to be careful! Even if the 30 day extension hasn't expired, the day before the VISA expires you must exit and re-enter Thailand. You will get 60 days and that can be extended for another 30 (1900 baht). When that extension expires you must leave and apply for a new visa. The cost of the initial visa is determined by the number of entries and the maximum is 3 and it is valid for entry 6 months from date of issue.

Does that mean i will have to return to Australia and get another visa or can i just go to a nearby country and get a new visa and start all over again?

Cheers

Scoop

In reading your post, I don't think anyone has addressed the basic problem you are faced with: you want to set up a hydroponic vegetable farm on her property. You need a work permit to do ANY work in Thailand, paid for or not. You won't be able to get a work permit to set up a business, unless you actually set up a Thai company, hire four workers for each work permit you require, and get a B (business) visa. On that basis you could stay here indefinitely, IF you continue to meet the business visa requirements..

If, as you state, you don't need a 'work visa', then what is your objection to a retirement visa? Or an extension of stay, based on retirement? If you are 50 years old or over, those would be your best options for long stay, assuming you don't work.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you have few options.

Hi Sateev, thank you for your information, i thought if i setup a hydroponic garden at her house, whats the problem? and she could do all the business stuff, if it ends up that way, to start with it will just be small so we can supply ourselves

whats your thoughts on this? i read a lot of people on tv that farm in thailand i dont think they have a work permits or business visa

Cheers

Scoop1

Scoop1

Does that mean i will have to return to Australia and get another visa or can i just go to a nearby country and get a new visa and start all over again?

Cheers

Scoop

1. If you want to apply for another tourist visa you can do that in a neighboring country.

2. If you want to convert your tourist visa to a Non-O and apply for a retirement extension, that can be done in Thailand.

3. If you want to apply for a Retirement Visa, Non-OA, you have to return to Australia.