Chiang Rai Flower Festival

pomchop

Flower Festival also means Bloody Traffic Jams every where again for that period.

yep traffic bit of a hassle but i do think the festival brings a lot of needed baht into the CR area as seems quite a few bkk people drive up and no doubt spend some money in the local biz...and the flowers really are nice...i just hope all the bkk people don't like CR so much that they want to move here..

On flowers, I note the poinsettia are all doing great. Saw them last year and poinsettias have always played a big part in my christmas. So nice to have that here as well. They seem a much deeper red here or maybe just me enjoying them so much.

When we were on our little biketrip you must have seen these flowers along the road. Before and after Wawi! They are like trees there, 2-3 meters high!

They are very popular in my country too but never seen that big as here in Thailand.

:blink::)B)

Yes Svenvan, saw them last year up in Wawi too and the wife told me the thai call them christmas flower. They were so tall I thought they couldn't be poisettia but did a net search and sure enough. We do have them growing here in the village as well, quite nice but not as large (3M) as some of the trees up high.

post-122310-0-43624000-1323387675_thumb.

Edited by rmacdon61

They call them Christmas flowers commercially in Australia sometimes as well Mac.

They have to do all sorts of artificial things to them to get them to turn that nice red colour in the middle of summer though.

I had one here I planted that must have been over two metres high but it disappeared during my last period of domestic absence. :unsure:

They call them Christmas flowers commercially in Australia sometimes as well Mac.

They have to do all sorts of artificial things to them to get them to turn that nice red colour in the middle of summer though.

I had one here I planted that must have been over two metres high but it disappeared during my last period of domestic absence. :unsure:

Lots of Poinsettia facts etc here. They also grow really big on the big island of Hawaii.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/poinsettia/facts.cfm

• 2 weeks later...

Flower Festival also means Bloody Traffic Jams every where again for that period.

The traffic is not nearly as bad as when they located it at Haat Chiang Rai. Relief for Harsu!

Bloody ? Yes, there will be blood spilt on our roads as the BKK drivers are fast and highly dangerous.

Anyone who has found out the time of the parade please post it, as that website is very vague.

Brian - thanks - but it is a link to last year's event. and it is not difficult to find the same blablabla nothing specific info for this year. I was wondering if anyone knows anything specific, maybe on the ground info that the locals all know. :(

1323424771.jpg

Activities.- The King's honor.

- Watching the parade is the nation s 24 Dec 54.

- Winter Park, flowers such as tulips, lilies yard.

- Park and Contest orchid species.

- Video, sculpture, trees, flowers and style.

- Our homes, livelihoods and culture of Lanna art and culture tribes in Kuang.

- Through the intellectual landscape booting California Wines Home, Kat would roast the dry season.

- Painting and taking photos of flowers contest at the event.

- The announcement by the 5 level.

- Award of Garden furniture, vases, flower bush tray.

- Where Miss Thailand beauty contest.

- The community products (tea, coffee from Doi).

For more information, please contact that

organization, call 0-5371-2169 or province. Www.crpao.com.

http://www.crpao.com/index_pao.php

Edited by dindong

Brian - thanks - but it is a link to last year's event. and it is not difficult to find the same blablabla nothing specific info for this year. I was wondering if anyone knows anything specific, maybe on the ground info that the locals all know. :(

I am so sorry-but if you dont mind-there is a place on that site,where you can ask(mail) about what ever you wont-but ok. thats maby to much work for you,since you need to use your time complaining about people who try to help you.

I am so sorry-but if you dont mind-there is a place on that site,where you can ask(mail) about what ever you wont-but ok. thats maby to much work for you,since you need to use your time complaining about people who try to help you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You have to love the way some people never complain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by villagefarang

Courtesy of Google Translate for non-Thai readers.

For the event. Festival in Chiang Rai, the beauty of flowers. 8 held on December 24, 2554 until January 2, 2555 at the beautiful riverside garden it. Bridge in honor of a district, Muang, Chiang Rai. To work as part of the celebration of 750 years anniversary of Chiang Rai. Organized to provide a park with a winter flowering tulips, lily, orchid park. Miss Thailand beauty contest place. Kuang and Lanna culture and ethnic distribution of local products.

In particular, the highlights for the opening ceremony on Saturday, December 24, 2554 will be floral float parade and the grand opening ceremony is amazing as well.

Courtesy of Google Translate for non-Thai readers.

For the event. Festival in Chiang Rai, the beauty of flowers. 8 held on December 24, 2554 until January 2, 2555 at the beautiful riverside garden it. Bridge in honor of a district, Muang, Chiang Rai. To work as part of the celebration of 750 years anniversary of Chiang Rai. Organized to provide a park with a winter flowering tulips, lily, orchid park. Miss Thailand beauty contest place. Kuang and Lanna culture and ethnic distribution of local products.

In particular, the highlights for the opening ceremony on Saturday, December 24, 2554 will be floral float parade and the grand opening ceremony is amazing as well.

Does anyone know the time of the opening ceremony and parade?

Yes the festival is similar year after year but I still enjoy it and frankly think it is a very pleasant way to spend a few hours.

The flowers are always beautiful and i do enjoy watching all the Thai families, couples, kids, grandma/pa, etc enjoying a day out and taking a zillion pics of each other. I was there for six hours and saw only a handful of farangs so for anyone wanting a "real" thai outing this is a good one....and if you don't like looking at plants/flowers there for sure are some pretty thai gals wandering around and they alone make a trip worthwhile to see some beauty.

There is a bigger shopping area and an extra section of food vendors this year than last year if shopping is your thing.

The opening ceremony I thought was pretty impressive this year as well.

The food and beverage vendors continue to serve up a good variety of items at bargain prices..

It also seems to me that the plant selling section is bigger with a better selection this year as well.

So...bottom line is I think it's a very good event and will likely go back again for a second look later this week.

Nice work with the photo's scea, although a few

of the locals wouldn't have gone astray smile.png

I see you have a photo of the green house there.

I thought it was quite impressive.

Speaking of impressive, the Le Merdien food stall.

Purchased a few bags of their cookies......delightful.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Great show.

It took us two visits to even get to the flowers with so many (better quality than normal) OTOP stalls and food to pass through first but I am glad we returned specifically for the flowers.

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens to the flowers/gardens after the flower show?