Austrian Tourist Stabbed, Robbed By Phuket Youth Gang

Lite Beer

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the bashers of the police and Thais in general.

It took the police approx 3 hours 45 minutes to make the first arrest.

Ask yourselves, would this happen where you live ?

I am just imagining a boor bloke mugged and stabbed in London, New York, Paris, Rome, Berlin etc and NOT expecting an arrest within 3 hours 45 minutes.

To why these kids have chosen that career path, well its not reported is it now ?

So I see the full force of Thai / Phuket bashers out and yet again making their negative statements.

Good for you lot, that a man was stabbed, so you get to blame the Thais yet again.

Lets hope for X-mas, that you lot get a jet ski scam with fighting and injuries to multiple people.

That would be almost as good as a white X-mas huh ?

It's the tourist's fault, if he hadn't have been there it never would have happened.

I agree.

Why the hell would anyone go to Phuket anyways? Got what he deserved for visiting such a s*** hole!

Phuket is by far the worst place in LOS.

Contrary to most comments here, I sincerely believe that it is in the police best interest to investigate these gang robberies. I am very confident that they will be p[punished. Problem is that there is no possibility to send their parents to jail. They might deserve the punishment as much as these boys.

There is no punishment for the boys. They are under age and Thai law has nothing to do about them. The parents will be told they are bad boys, and that's about it.

WOW, and they did all this for 200THB to buy snacks !, and also during the day, is anywhere safe in Thailand now !

Don't judge all of Thailand by what happens in Phuket...and to be fair, don't judge all of phuket from the actions of a few...although it does seem more and more that the thugs are multiplying and are in firm control of phuket and have no fear of the local govt or law. When the kids see the taxi mafia do as they dam_n well please with zero repercussions year after year, story after story it likely emboldens them to think why not?

Phuket is a beautiful island that has made just about every wrong decision possible over the past ten years or so.....of course the tourists right now still pour in there and they think it will always continue. But today with the internet stories like this fly around the world in minutes and are picked up by all sorts of travel sites that potential tourist may well visit...eventually it will take it's toll and the quality and quantitity of toursist will decline. Frankly i feel safer in Pattaya than in Phuket and for anyone who has ever lived in Pattaya you know that it isn't exactly the home of the upper crust.

I know a number of people that have had business in Phuket for at least seven years and they are upping sticks and moving to Pattaya...the three reasons, expensive, less and less tourists every year and crime issues......Pattaya on the other hand has reversed, more tourists, less crime..expense no increase...Something needs to be done soon!!!

I have lived in Pattaya for 24 years and never seen what I have read about Phuket just in the last year.

WOW, and they did all this for 200THB to buy snacks !, and also during the day, is anywhere safe in Thailand now !

Bangkok, considering the population of 11 million there is hardly ever a report of farang muggings.

What happened in Phuket is particularly worrisome considering it was in broad daylight and these guys stabbed to kill! It could have been any farang, just a roll of the dice. Phuket is overtaking pattaya as the number 1 crime hot spot, glad I dont live there

I agree, I think they wanted to fight/attack as much or even more then find the money. Picture you see fat drinking screaming people from outside building houses and choose one of there woman (without any interest for culture and other things sometimes ).

Many of us (farang) are just behaving "ok" becaue we can buy a easy live here but the evil is in us too and maybe more then the Thai. Phuket is indeed a down the hill project.

Dont put all farang in same basket .... please ..... I dont spend my weekends on soi cow boy drinking beer ...:lol:

Bangkok, considering the population of 11 million there is hardly ever a report of farang muggings.

What happened in Phuket is particularly worrisome considering it was in broad daylight and these guys stabbed to kill! It could have been any farang, just a roll of the dice. Phuket is overtaking pattaya as the number 1 crime hot spot, glad I dont live there

The BIB do all the mugging in Bangkok

I am just imagining a boor bloke mugged and stabbed in London, New York, Paris, Rome, Berlin etc and NOT expecting an arrest within 3 hours 45 minutes.

To why these kids have chosen that career path, well its not reported is it now ?

So I see the full force of Thai / Phuket bashers out and yet again making their negative statements.

Good for you lot, that a man was stabbed, so you get to blame the Thais yet again.

Lets hope for X-mas, that you lot get a jet ski scam with fighting and injuries to multiple people.

If the culprits were just around the corner from the police station, I would certainly think that the police in my country may be able to make an arrest within 3 hours 45 minutes,

With regards to People "Thai Bashing", I suppose that commenting on the jet ski scam, the airport scams, the violence that occurs against Farang, the tuk tuk mafia, and of course the numerous police shake downs should not be commented on because they are carried out by Thais and we wouldn't want be "Thai Bashers" would we? Perhaps if it was you laying on the ground, having just been stabbed, you may not have the same

opinion as you do now. Just remember Kama can be a bi-tch

Edited by lensta

If the culprits were just around the corner from the police station, I would certainly think that the police in my country may be able to make an arrest within 3 hours 45 minutes,

With regards to People "Thai Bashing", I suppose that commenting on the jet ski scam, the airport scams, the violence that occurs against Farang, the tuk tuk mafia, and of course the numerous police shake downs should not be commented on because they are carried out by Thais and we wouldn't want be "Thai Bashers" would we? Perhaps if it was you laying on the ground, having just been stabbed, you may not have the same

opinion as you do now. Just remember Kama can be a bi-tch

Between smart police or stupid perpetrators, my money would be on the latter being the reason behind the quick arrests. :whistling:

I agree, I think they wanted to fight/attack as much or even more then find the money. Picture you see fat drinking screaming people from outside building houses and choose one of there woman (without any interest for culture and other things sometimes ).

Many of us (farang) are just behaving "ok" becaue we can buy a easy live here but the evil is in us too and maybe more then the Thai. Phuket is indeed a down the hill project.

Dont put all farang in same basket .... please ..... I dont spend my weekends on soi cow boy drinking beer ...:lol:

Even if you did...what does that say about, if you are good or bad. I spend most of my weekends on Patpong- I live 5 minutes from there. But than again: I am from Hamburg, Germany. We have one of Europes most "famous" red light districts. I was going there a lot. Just because you spend your days (or nights) among "filth" doesn't make you filthy.

I just found some nice statistics..

Metropolitan Police Service all of London.

Robberies ( against a person )

No. of robberies previous 12 month leading up to October 2011 : 35.923

No. of robberies previous 12 month leading up to October 2010 : 31.301

That's by the way a 14.8% increase from 2010 to 2011.

Source : http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/

So because someone gets robbed in Phuket ever so often - its now the worst place you could imagine ?

I just don't buy into that.

The number above equals 1 robbery every 15 minutes in London.

And that is only counting robberies against another person.

There's something going on. I have heared a few young people, about the same age as those who were arrested, saying recently: "I don't like farangs staying here". They were/are moving in groups. This was in Bangkok ... and they were speaking in Thai.

What are they using, social media, SMS?

Be careful everyone. They may also be encouraged by adults, or at least of what they hear at home.

So because someone gets robbed in Phuket ever so often - its now the worst place you could imagine ?

They are reported and recorded properly in the UK though.

London is a big city, and will have figures equivalent to Bangkok.

Don't judge all of Thailand by what happens in Phuket...and to be fair, don't judge all of phuket from the actions of a few...although it does seem more and more that the thugs are multiplying and are in firm control of phuket and have no fear of the local govt or law. When the kids see the taxi mafia do as they dam_n well please with zero repercussions year after year, story after story it likely emboldens them to think why not?

Phuket is a beautiful island that has made just about every wrong decision possible over the past ten years or so.....of course the tourists right now still pour in there and they think it will always continue. But today with the internet stories like this fly around the world in minutes and are picked up by all sorts of travel sites that potential tourist may well visit...eventually it will take it's toll and the quality and quantitity of toursist will decline. Frankly i feel safer in Pattaya than in Phuket and for anyone who has ever lived in Pattaya you know that it isn't exactly the home of the upper crust.

Yes i agree that NOT all of Phuket is bad, but unfortunately Patong is under the control of thugs and mafia and police corruption, and nothing will be done because the law makers are involved.

I feel sorry for the honest business people who are trying to make a living, as patong is becoming less attractive for tourists.

And i also agree with Boater-- That these little scum bags nearly killed a person for 200 baht.

The culprits could live on top of the police station and the police wouldn't be any wiser, unless they already dispatched a unit to investigate the incident.

Its more so the response time here that is very efficient, rather than where the culprits live.

A lot more efficient than most people would expect from the police back home.

Ok, agreed if you are 13 and 14, you may not carry out the best planned muggings in the world.

But still, I applaud the police in this case.

Phuket is not a beautiful island. I've been there once, and once is more than enough. I was fooled by all the false propaganda that this place is paradise. In fact, all the beauty is off the island (Phi Phi islands, Phang Nga Bay). The island itself is no better then other, safer, more affordable tourist areas such as Hua Hin or Pattaya.

It's the tourist's fault, if he hadn't have been there it never would have happened.

I agree.

Why the hell would anyone go to Phuket anyways? Got what he deserved for visiting such a s*** hole!

Phuket is by far the worst place in LOS.

" Got what he deserved" show a little compassion, anyone should have the right to visit where they want to without being attacked by these little <deleted>.

I hope the police send the bill for this mans hospital treatment and his damaged motorbike to these kids parents (as opposed to the victim or his insurance company). I'm sure that the parents when faced with a bill for a foreigner in ICU at Bangkok hospital and a foreigner motorbike rental repair bill. (even split four ways) will be more than a little annoyed and teach the kids the error of their ways.

Do you really think these kids know who their real parents are......Get a life....!

Judging by the hostility of your reply, perhaps you are related to the offenders?

Well Thai's committed the crime didn't they?

You cannot compare crime statistics in the way you have done with 2 places which have such a population differential. It's like comparing mouse poop to cow manure, which has more flies?

I hope the police send the bill for this mans hospital treatment and his damaged motorbike to these kids parents (as opposed to the victim or his insurance company). I'm sure that the parents when faced with a bill for a foreigner in ICU at Bangkok hospital and a foreigner motorbike rental repair bill. (even split four ways) will be more than a little annoyed and teach the kids the error of their ways.

if he gets out of the hospital alive, but there is no way the Thai's will pay anything toward this unfortunate victim bills, sounds like Phuket is really a horrible place...

You cannot compare crime statistics in the way you have done with 2 places which have such a population differential. It's like comparing mouse poop to cow manure, which has more flies?

Its still a 14.8% increase in London from 2010 to 2011.

And it happens every 15 minutes.

In Phuket, maybe once every 15 days if that.

So what this is really about, is where do you feel safer.

Doesn't matter if you're standing in mouse poop or cow manure does it now ( counting flies ) ?

At least in Phuket, you could safely be standing in either for 14 days ( without being mugged B) )

In London, you could only be safe, standing in either for 14 minutes....

Well Thai's committed the crime didn't they?

The Thais also solved it fast.....

Crime is everywhere, efficient police work is not....