The Barriers At Two Heroine'S Monument

modafinil

Last time I went from Surin to Phuket Town, I decided to go via Two Heroine's Circle. When I arrived at the circle, there were two sets of barriers set up, so that traffic can't go around the circle.

I assume the police do this to make the Phuket Town-Airport (and beyond) journey quicker?

Does anybody know when the barriers are set up? Are they there 24/7, or just at certain times? Or is it a high season/low season thing?

Cheers!

again an other logic fail by thais. More traffic caused by this.

Same as when they switch of the traffic lights during rush hours and try to control the traffic by hand, Thai logic i will never understand it. :whistling:

Same as when they switch of the traffic lights during rush hours and try to control the traffic by hand, Thai logic i will never understand it. :whistling:

That's not as silly as it sounds. Lots of traffic lights have different sequences for different periods of the day and night. I'm guessing they don't have that ability in Phuket so they do it manualy. Letting a lot more cars go through at rush hour can help the over all situation. They can allow the busier directions more time than the less busy ones.

By far the worst thing about that rounabout is when you have 4 lanes of traffic trying to go from West to South all trying to use the two lanes on the roundabout, when there's very few chances to get across as it is.

Thanks for the good answers. If given the chance, I will try to steer clear of that route during peak traffic hours. It does make some kind of sense to have the major commercial highway in and out of Phuket unblocked at busy periods - how much time it costs locals is another question.

Lots of traffic lights have different sequences for different periods of the day and night. I'm guessing they don't have that ability in Phuket so they do it manualy

One of my relatives is a wealthy (self-employed) and experienced traffic light engineer (it's quite a niche career choice!). The technology to do this is decades old. If you seriously think that the lights aren't timed, I'll ask him to approach "the powers that be" with a business proposal. Might end up making a few more commutes a bit more tolerable.

Edited by modafinil

That's not as silly as it sounds. Lots of traffic lights have different sequences for different periods of the day and night. I'm guessing they don't have that ability in Phuket so they do it manualy. Letting a lot more cars go through at rush hour can help the over all situation. They can allow the busier directions more time than the less busy ones.

By far the worst thing about that rounabout is when you have 4 lanes of traffic trying to go from West to South all trying to use the two lanes on the roundabout, when there's very few chances to get across as it is.

THe police almost caused a major pile up yesterday when they took control of the lights at Central junction. Everybody was ready to move as the countdown moved to one, bikes were making an early move as usual but the lights remained red and the timer went out. Bikes were already on the move as the traffic continued to come around the corner and cars and bikes were swerving to avoid each other. Absolutely ridiculous and dangerous traffic management.

>>Lots of traffic lights have different sequences for different periods of the day and night. I'm guessing they don't have that ability in Phuket so they do it manualy.

Sure they do. It's 2011, not 1952. Lights have been set according to timers and traffic flows for a few decades now in most parts of the world.

>>Lots of traffic lights have different sequences for different periods of the day and night. I'm guessing they don't have that ability in Phuket so they do it manualy.

Sure they do. It's 2011, not 1952. Lights have been set according to timers and traffic flows for a few decades now in most parts of the world.

Yes I'm well aware of that, I was just sugesting that perhaps here that don't use the automatic system very much. Of course I was over looking night time when they start doing constant red or amber flashes which is obviously done automatically.

The point is, lights can't change the sequence every five minutes as and when required. A human standing there can control the traffic in accordance to what he is seeing in real time. If one direction is completely clear for a long time, he allows people coming from the other direction to continue even though the light has turned red. You may not like it but that is why it's done.

How many people sit at red lights in the middle of the night in the West when the road is completely empty? I like the flashing red lights at night and the turn left when safe sytem. It works for me.

Thanks for the good answers. If given the chance, I will try to steer clear of that route during peak traffic hours. It does make some kind of sense to have the major commercial highway in and out of Phuket unblocked at busy periods - how much time it costs locals is another question.

Lots of traffic lights have different sequences for different periods of the day and night. I'm guessing they don't have that ability in Phuket so they do it manualy

One of my relatives is a wealthy (self-employed) and experienced traffic light engineer (it's quite a niche career choice!). The technology to do this is decades old. If you seriously think that the lights aren't timed, I'll ask him to approach "the powers that be" with a business proposal. Might end up making a few more commutes a bit more tolerable.

in my opinion that round-about works fine most of the day so does not need lights. At peak periods I also think that the diversion works well, I know it means an additional 800m of driving but its worth it if it means the traffic stays moving. Personally I would much prefer that than sitting at traffic lights.

I think the logic is that one 'logical person' controlling traffic is better than all the 'logical' drivers deciding when they can go regardless of the pretty lights.

Edited by Kernow86

I think the logic is that one 'logical person' controlling traffic is better than all the 'logical' drivers deciding when they can go regardless of the pretty lights.

You are correct if you have a "logical person" involved but in this case we are talking about Thai Police Officers. ;)