Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here?

Jimi007

[Maybe the first thing you do when on holiday in another country is look for an internet cafe so you can continue your smarmy posts

Oh dear, another one who attacks the poster and not the posts. Maybe you should take a break to put things back into perspective?

Yup, I'll always find a place I can get online. I need to check emails and it doesn't take a minute to see what's going on here.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hilarious that the bitching and moaning about Phuket has turned to other TV members, bet the OP didn't expect that !

Agreed. I seem to remember that this topic was about 'Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here? (I read too much bitching and moaning on this forum).'

The topic was an invitation to relate why members stay in Phuket. But (as usual) it's turned into a 'bitching and moaning' fest.

If you can't stay on topic then this topic will be closed very soon. Last chance.

Love these boring forums where so many people get wound up, :D it's all just fun and as I keep saying it's banter, some posters do get very angry though and retaliate with rudeness and name calling, love it !!!

Although I love it I never take anything personally because it is that word again banter!! people who do lose there cool and get very personal are very sad, I am amazed to read that a certain person wanted to and I am assuming fight or talk face to face is incredible!! grow up certain people these forums are just for fun!!:D :D

I also find it boring rather than "fun"...

I am from the north of the country but will go often to Phuket in the future. So, out of curiosity, I came to read some topics on the Phuket forum...

I wonder why... (I mean why I came on the Phuket forum, not why I go to Phuket).

[Maybe the first thing you do when on holiday in another country is look for an internet cafe so you can continue your smarmy posts

Oh dear, another one who attacks the poster and not the posts. Maybe you should take a break to put things back into perspective?

Yup, I'll always find a place I can get online. I need to check emails and it doesn't take a minute to see what's going on here.

Taking a break from these boring forums and a few boring people is exactly what I will be doing, I am not a pensioner by the way, have fun you lot and don't get nasty with each other. :giggle: Phuket supporter signing off for a wee while...

I believe the question asked by the OP was answered very early on in the thread by several people.

All the people I've ever met that live in Phuket (I have lived there myself for 4 years) are as happy as the preverbial pig. It's the forums that are the problem and the kind of people they attract and the way they make people behave.

Look at this very thread. You would never know that some of the people arguing on here weren't teenagers by the petty way they squabble and try to get one up on each other. Forums attract people with issues, and even people without any issues perhaps are incouraged to act in a way that isn't truely representitive of the kind of person they are in the real world. That's what anonimity does to a lot of people.

Forums like this can be enjoyable, and they can be a wealth of information but they will always be more infamous for the negative moaning and one up man ship and the desperate need some people have to impress complete strangers.

Just the othe day when somebody was talking about where they get their petrol from he couldn't resist but to add in the words: When I get petrol for my two cars and my two motorbikes, I go here. That's what forums do to some people for some reason. Then you have the 'I'm friends with big police' and 'Iget it cheap because I know the owner' kind of comments, people trying to impress complete strangers with things that just aren't that immpressive.

So the fact of the matter is, nearly everybody that lives in Phuket loves it, because let's face it, what's not to love. A lot of forum users however are a different matter, who knows what's going on in their crazy little heads.

I believe the question asked by the OP was answered very early on in the thread by several people.

All the people I've ever met that live in Phuket (I have lived there myself for 4 years) are as happy as the preverbial pig. It's the forums that are the problem and the kind of people they attract and the way they make people behave.

Look at this very thread. You would never know that some of the people arguing on here weren't teenagers by the petty way they squabble and try to get one up on each other. Forums attract people with issues, and even people without any issues perhaps are incouraged to act in a way that isn't truely representitive of the kind of person they are in the real world. That's what anonimity does to a lot of people.

Forums like this can be enjoyable, and they can be a wealth of information but they will always be more infamous for the negative moaning and one up man ship and the desperate need some people have to impress complete strangers.

Just the othe day when somebody was talking about where they get their petrol from he couldn't resist but to add in the words: When I get petrol for my two cars and my two motorbikes, I go here. That's what forums do to some people for some reason. Then you have the 'I'm friends with big police' and 'Iget it cheap because I know the owner' kind of comments, people trying to impress complete strangers with things that just aren't that immpressive.

So the fact of the matter is, nearly everybody that lives in Phuket loves it, because let's face it, what's not to love. A lot of forum users however are a different matter, who knows what's going on in their crazy little heads.

One of the most insightful posts that I've ever read in this forum, congratulations. Nobody should be offended reading your comments, though perhaps they'll give a few pauses for thought and reflection.

One of the most insightful posts that I've ever read in this forum, congratulations. Nobody should be offended reading your comments, though perhaps they'll give a few pauses for thought and reflection.

I agree - great post. :thumbsup:

1323697076[/url]' post='4907868']
1323695461[/url]' post='4907815']
1323687278[/url]' post='4907544']

I agree - great post. :thumbsup:

I like it too. Not bad for your second post. I use to read it a lot and not post. But then I found afew forums that I could offer some advice and help, which I enjoy. So after so many of the threads that got so off track, Including this one, I though I'd post this topic and just see what would happen. GOM, pointed it out several posts ago actually. Anyway cheers!

Love these boring forums where so many people get wound up, :D it's all just fun and as I keep saying it's banter, some posters do get very angry though and retaliate with rudeness and name calling, love it !!!

+1

It would definately become boring if we couldn't have some Banter and Disagreements and that includes no Complaints too,............that some members would like to see happen.

Fact of the matter is: sanitize a website/blog too much,and watch the membership interest and ratings plummet!

+1

It would definately become boring if we couldn't have some Banter and Disagreements and that includes no Complaints too,............that some members would like to see happen.

Fact of the matter is: sanitize a website/blog too much,and watch the membership interest and ratings plummet!

Hit the nail on the head there.... Phuket forum-where to dye hair and where to get business cards, real riveting stuff...I might sign off for a while myself.

Love these boring forums where so many people get wound up, it's all just fun and as I keep saying it's banter, some posters do get very angry though and retaliate with rudeness and name calling, love it !!!

+1

Hit the nail on the head there.... Phuket forum-where to dye hair and where to get business cards, real riveting stuff...I might sign off for a while myself.

I can see where you're both coming from but I think my definition of the word 'banter' must differ from yours. People who dislike each other and are completely unable to get a long, don't partake in banter. They take part in pissing contests and slanging matches. The word banter implies the ability to tolerate each other at the very least, and I'd even go as far as saying a certain amount of respect for each other. For banter to be banter it needs to be directed in a certain way and recieved in a certain way, i.e both parties happy and amused. If that's not the case then banter it isn't.

Disagreements are different all together. Any forum with more than one member will have disagreements, that's perfectly normal. I've read lots of threads on here that have got pretty heated. Tuk tuks and duel pricing come to mind. Those threads are great. People are emotional and have strong opinions and want their opinions heard, that's human nature and a lot of fun. But the same people that come on here to tell everyone how crap Phuket is, and the same people who tell you you're a moron because you prefer to live somewhere different from them, will alway ruin those kind of threads by not having enough brains to discuss the topic without reverting to childish sqabbling, and name calling. It's those kind of people who make most forums a waste of time.

I don't believe eradicating forums of a certain kind of poster is 'sanatizing' it. You critisize other threads about business cards and hair dye for being so 'riverting' but then how exactly is pointing that out going to change the forum any. If you are going to put down other threads for being boring, shouldn't you be posting more interesting ones yourself at the same time?

I can see where you're both coming from but I think my definition of the word 'banter' must differ from yours. People who dislike each other and are completely unable to get a long, don't partake in banter. They take part in pissing contests and slanging matches. The word banter implies the ability to tolerate each other at the very least, and I'd even go as far as saying a certain amount of respect for each other. For banter to be banter it needs to be directed in a certain way and recieved in a certain way, i.e both parties happy and amused. If that's not the case then banter it isn't.

Disagreements are different all together. Any forum with more than one member will have disagreements, that's perfectly normal. I've read lots of threads on here that have got pretty heated. Tuk tuks and duel pricing come to mind. Those threads are great. People are emotional and have strong opinions and want their opinions heard, that's human nature and a lot of fun. But the same people that come on here to tell everyone how crap Phuket is, and the same people who tell you you're a moron because you prefer to live somewhere different from them, will alway ruin those kind of threads by not having enough brains to discuss the topic without reverting to childish sqabbling, and name calling. It's those kind of people who make most forums a waste of time.

I don't believe eradicating forums of a certain kind of poster is 'sanatizing' it. You critisize other threads about business cards and hair dye for being so 'riverting' but then how exactly is pointing that out going to change the forum any. If you are going to put down other threads for being boring, shouldn't you be posting more interesting ones yourself at the same time?

you remind me of some previous posters on TV who no longer post ,you would not be the same poster would you? you certainly dont sound like a NEWBIE :(

you remind me of some previous posters on TV who no longer post ,you would not be the same poster would you? you certainly dont sound like a NEWBIE :(

Ah, because someone can read and make intelligent post must mean they are a previous banned member? How many times have I read that on this thread alone? People do have questions on where to get something around here as there isn't any real business guide (well there kind of is) or phone book to call around and find something, so I find this forum useful for that. I find tourists asking about a rental on here totally lame. But I actually happen to agree with some of what HongKongPhooey said... snamos has had a few good topics lately, I don't seem to remember your last topic barka, I guess I could look it up... This forum can be entertaining, but it can be and is a resource for local information. But I agree with snamos as well, as I don't need my hair died and why does a farang need a business card? Does he actually own a business and have a work permit? Or just a tout? Didn't bother to read either one...

Edited by Jimi007

Didn't bother to read either one...

That's the difference right there. You're not interested in a thread, don't read it, or read it and don't comment on it. Couldn't be simpler. It brings us back to the topic of moaners. In my opinion, anybody that would open a forum thread about something he's not interested in, just to be negative and to tell the world that he's not interested in it or simply to push the buttons of the people who are interested in it, has serious issues, and can be labled nothing but an attention seeker.

That in my opinion is where the confusion lies. That is NOT banter, and in my opinion it's not entertaining in the slightest.

Didn't bother to read either one...

That's the difference right there. You're not interested in a thread, don't read it, or read it and don't comment on it. Couldn't be simpler. It brings us back to the topic of moaners. In my opinion, anybody that would open a forum thread about something he's not interested in, just to be negative and to tell the world that he's not interested in it or simply to push the buttons of the people who are interested in it, has serious issues, and can be labled nothing but an attention seeker.

That in my opinion is where the confusion lies. That is NOT banter, and in my opinion it's not entertaining in the slightest.

Banter is enjoyable with like minded people who do not take things personally, I am bored with these forums because of a few people that find it impossible to join in and be sensible (up to them, I have read recently about posters wanting to meet and sort out their differences, for fecks sake this is a forum where the majority of posters do not know each other.

I have decided enough is enough, maybe I will post again in the future but I am certain the few individuals that come on here just to be rude and put across their persona as the big I am will continue to provoke and take things personally, I find it difficult to be nasty even though I know it is totally anonymous, good luck to all the decent people on here..

In a previous post I said I love it but I also get very bored with posters that take it personally and it's this that is to much, it is not enjoyable full stop!!

I dont think there is anything wrong with the banter in forums but continuous whinging about Phuket does get a bit tiresome, especially when it has all been posted before.

It would be interesting to know how many people who moan about Phuket, Thai people, Scams etc actively try and learn Thai so they can integrate with Thai society better.

It would be interesting to know how many people who moan about Phuket, Thai people, Scams etc actively try and learn Thai so they can integrate with Thai society better.

Spot on. The fact that people who hate Phuket and Thai people find themselves on the Phuket section of a Thailand forum in the first place, is itself extremely demented and illogical. But the fact that the vast majority of them can't say more than a few words in Thai makes it that much worse.

How can you possible claim to understand a race of people and believe your opinion about their character is the correct one, whe you've never been able to say more than two words to them?

The thai haters that really make me laugh are the ones that say how rude all Thai people are and how they are always talking about you behind your back. The fact that they don't speak the languge and therefor can't understand a word they're saying seems to have escaped them.

Spot on. The fact that people who hate Phuket and Thai people find themselves on the Phuket section of a Thailand forum in the first place, is itself extremely demented and illogical. But the fact that the vast majority of them can't say more than a few words in Thai makes it that much worse.

How can you possible claim to understand a race of people and believe your opinion about their character is the correct one, whe you've never been able to say more than two words to them?

The thai haters that really make me laugh are the ones that say how rude all Thai people are and how they are always talking about you behind your back. The fact that they don't speak the languge and therefor can't understand a word they're saying seems to have escaped them.

that's a pretty broad assessment without fact.

Never have i read a post about westerners hating Thai people. ever. Some dislike phuket but they are quickly told to go home by the ones that don't.

not sure how you assitain that members can't speak,read or write Thai, have you done a survey on this forum? or are you assuming?

its human nature to complain and been going on for centuries.people have a bad day and need to vent,its a public forum so Let the forum judge if the complaint is valid and the thread will take its course.

i suggest you take your own advice and not click,post on a thread if you have nothing of value to add other than a misconstrued assessment of phuket expats that's way of the mark.

Edited by glenfaux

welcome back BTB, your usual preachy hypochritical dribble is so obvious its actually amusing. I start plenty of threads about various things around the island....Problem with my topics is they always get closed down and in a rather quick fashion. Im guessing because they are controversial, interesting or preople get too heated or a combination of all 3. Can you show me something of interest you have posted? And I dont mean disecting what other posters have written....also you still didnt answer my question about where you lived :lol: :lol: :lol:

welcome back BTB, your usual preachy hypochritical dribble is so obvious its actually amusing. I start plenty of threads about various things around the island....Problem with my topics is they always get closed down and in a rather quick fashion. Im guessing because they are controversial, interesting or preople get too heated or a combination of all 3. Can you show me something of interest you have posted? And I dont mean disecting what other posters have written....also you still didnt answer my question about where you lived :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snamos...i agree with you, i smelt him, but you have had the guts to name him im surprised none of the other posters have not recognised him..he always thinks hes right and always wants the last word.hes addicted to this forum,we are his toys,especially if we reply to him.......,hes clever,hes playing with us.

Never have i read a post about westerners hating Thai people. ever.

There are plenty of semi-racist sweeping statements about Thais on this forum. They cant drive, all Tuk Tuk drivers are thugs, they dont know how to cook, they all talk behind your back, they will scam you at every opportunity etc etc.

If they were comments about black people on an english forum I expect the website would be taken offline.

Never have i read a post about westerners hating Thai people. ever.

You're kidding me right??

Forums are a xenophobes favourite playground and this one is no exception. The hatred and serious chip on the shoulder some members have is clear to see almost daily, not to mention the over whelming sense of superiority. Granted the vast majority of them probably don't even live in Thailand and are just your run of the mill trolls but extremely prevelant they most certainly are.

As for their ability to speak Thai. If you've never even noticed xenophobes on this forum then how can you have an opinion on what languages they speak?

welcome back BTB, your usual preachy hypochritical dribble is so obvious its actually amusing. I start plenty of threads about various things around the island....Problem with my topics is they always get closed down and in a rather quick fashion. Im guessing because they are controversial, interesting or preople get too heated or a combination of all 3. Can you show me something of interest you have posted? And I dont mean disecting what other posters have written....also you still didnt answer my question about where you lived

You don't know me!

I can't comment on your threads because I don't remember any to be honest, but if they keep getting deleted then they can't be that beneficial to the forum.

I do however remember you making the bold statement to the world that you had made your last post for a while on the forum just a day or so ago. (I believe it's known as flouncing) I also noticed you were logged in and browsing the forum for several hours after that and posting again today!

Some people seem to think my posts are good and some seem to think they are very good judging by their reaction, so I guess this is one of those forums where a small handfull of regulars jump all over every post and poster, a bit like marking their territory by peeing all over the place.

P.S In my experience, flouncing is one of the surest signs someone is need of a bit of attention. In my opinion it is a sad day when people need to get that attention from a forum.