Romanian Tourist Arrested For ATM Hacking: Bangkok

webfact

Growing up my family employed a number of Roma people over the years for odd jobs. The price was fair, they did the work, and they didn't steal. Those stories never make the news.

I have been robbed twice in my life. Once by a Portuguese and once by a Brazilian. Should I label all Portuguese speakers as criminals now?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Growing up my family employed a number of Roma people over the years for odd jobs. The price was fair, they did the work, and they didn't steal. Those stories never make the news.

I have been robbed twice in my life. Once by a Portuguese and once by a Brazilian. Should I label all Portuguese speakers as criminals now?

I don't know. Should you? You just said that Romanians are the European Nigerians :whistling:

Edited by alexth

I don't know. Should you? You just said that Romanians are the European Nigerians :whistling:

Sorry to need to correct you, but I said no such thing. Someone else may have. I did not. Take care. I accept your apology for your error.

Edited by Jingthing

Indeed, I apologize, it wasn't you. Anyway, facts are facts, I lived there and I know them and know what they're capable of. I befriended with a few of them, and the ones I'm talking about were quite well off, regardless, after inviting them to my 18th birthday party, they took off with the cds we played that night...this is just a simple example and I could come up with hundreds, but unfortunately, crime is in their blood, they would never feel themselves without tricking or stealing from somebody. The moment you give them a chance, you're jolly well f****d and sh*t out of luck

Indeed, I apologize, it wasn't you. Anyway, facts are facts, I lived there and I know them and know what they're capable of. I befriended with a few of them, and the ones I'm talking about were quite well off, regardless, after inviting them to my 18th birthday party, they took off with the cds we played that night...this is just a simple example and I could come up with hundreds, but unfortunately, crime is in their blood, they would never feel themselves without tricking or stealing from somebody. The moment you give them a chance, you're jolly well f****d and sh*t out of luck

Crime is not in their blood. Do you realize what you just said? Not saying there isn't crime. It's the blood thing that's creepy.

50,000,000 / 20,000 per withdrawal = 2500 withdrawals.

He must have been working his arse off, running up and down Sukhumvit trying to stay one step ahead of the cameras and the cops.

What are you talking about? 20,000 is a limit for single withdrawal and you can withdraw upto 50,000 in a day and it does not apply to foreign cards. :bah:

If you go to an ATM at 11:50pm and withdraw 50,000 and after 10 minutes you can withdraw another 50,000 so it makes 100,000 in just 15 minutes. Common sense... or maybe not so common... :jap:

These Romanina crooks are highly organized and operating in a number of countries. Excellent Panorama documentary recently on their illegal operations, including using children to beg, in the UK. Hundreds of thousands of pounds being sent back to the'gypsy bosses' in a Romanian village.

Is the documentary available on-line for download?

Yeah the Romanians are the worlds biggest hackers and scammers. When I was in Romania I went to an Internet cafe to pay my credit cards, transfer funds, etc. I made sure to clear the cache, delete history and so forth when I left. Sure enough, the next time I checked my email there were fraud alerts from Citibank, eBay, and every other company whose website I visited, notifying me that my accounts had been compromised. It was a real pain, having to call the USA from Romania in order to access my account by ATM and get cash since they locked me out of my accounts. They made transfers to Western Union for one. I wasn't liable but it was a real pain.

The guy sure looks a lot older than 22!

But to be fair I sure did meet a lot of very nice people in Romania, the girls were drop-dead gorgeous and most people spoke excellent English and usually a few other languages as well. <_<

Edited by elektrified

I'm hearing some racial talk here against the Roma people of Romania and it's not nice considering the horrible way the majority Romanians have treated this minority over the years. For the most part, they are born into an underclass and most never even have the opportunity to receive the anything resembling the same level of education as the so called "white" Romanians. They are tracked for lives of poverty from day one.

Also that video was a lot of puff. Father of cybernetics indeed. If you sent a CV with that level of distortion, you'd be in trouble.

Racism in Romania is mostly directed against the Roma people, the country's second-largest minority, who are routinely discriminated against by the state, local authorities and private enterprises, in matters of housing, employment and education. Belonging to the lowest social classes, the Roma are caught in a vicious circle of poverty reinforced by segregation.[1] Prejudice against Roma people is common among the Romanians, who characterize the Roma as being thieves, dirty and lazy.

http://en.wikipedia....cism_in_Romania

Go live in Romania (you don't even have to be close to a Gypsy neighborhood) and when your kids come back home beaten (by the same guy you tried to help out by offering him a decent amount of money to do your garden or whatever choirs and he ended up disappearing with the tools) and without their wallets, phones or whatever. I could go on and on and on and on, but please don't give us lessons about it, just as we don't give you lessons about your issues...we're just not there to see the facts, therefore we shut the &lt;deleted&gt; up

Could be Vampireshuh.gif

These Romanina crooks are highly organized and operating in a number of countries. Excellent Panorama documentary recently on their illegal operations, including using children to beg, in the UK. Hundreds of thousands of pounds being sent back to the'gypsy bosses' in a Romanian village.

Indeed. My daughter got her phone stolen in Oxford St a few months ago. We had the sim blocked within the hour but I remarked at the time that when we got the bill there would no doubt be calls to Romania on it. And so it proved. They are the European Nigerians.

So, the European Nigerians tricked some money from the Caucasian vampires? som nam na and 555. Good luck to them.

And I have been waiting for a long time for the excellent Panorama documentary about the illegal operations of the British while bombing Iraqi, Afghgani and Libyan children and forcing them to beg on the streets of Baghdad, Tripoli and Kandahar to support their mutilated lives while the British enjoy their christmas shopping on Oxford Street.

It has always seemed strange to me...The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.

- John Steinbeck, Cannery Row

• 5 weeks later...

50,000,000 / 20,000 per withdrawal = 2500 withdrawals.

He must have been working his arse off, running up and down Sukhumvit trying to stay one step ahead of the cameras and the cops.

What are you talking about? 20,000 is a limit for single withdrawal and you can withdraw upto 50,000 in a day and it does not apply to foreign cards. :bah:

If you go to an ATM at 11:50pm and withdraw 50,000 and after 10 minutes you can withdraw another 50,000 so it makes 100,000 in just 15 minutes. Common sense... or maybe not so common... :jap:

So, I am correct. 2500 withdrawals. Thank you. jap.gif

Unfortunately, absolutely no info in the article of HOW these guys were getting access to victims' accounts...

Using an ATM card reader illegally attached to local ATMs? Using some business, perhaps catering to Europeans, to skim the cards?

And why only, as the article put it, European customers bank accounts... They're not the only ones using ATMs... Unless it was some other method. Makes you wonder, just how these guys were doing their business.

And, as someone above posted, how were they transferring those kinds of amounts and volumes out of Thailand... Going thru the banking system in that manner most surely would attract attention.

Yeah there is. Donloaded encrypted files then transfer to cards via magnetic transfer and card is good to go.

Only trouble i have with this and it was referenced in a previous post is these guys must have been working day and night to make 2500 cards 2500 withdrawals etc etc in time period.

I think he's not hididng but sleeping

Love the peekaboo and songteaw driver comment as well.. that was specail

Thailand seriously needs chip and pin. Too easy to get money from ATMs.

Those expensive fees you pay for using your card in foreign ATMs; now you know what that money is used for: to pay for the fraud.

Edited by MaiChai

50 million baht in one month. In a fairly small city. That is a fair amount of cash to transfer out. The local Western Union wire office must have been busy? How did he "send" the money out?

In a box?

By a security officer in brown??? jap.gif