Ebay Import Duties

Finlaco

Beware, I have purchased 6 items from e Bay USA, 1 each from the UK & Australia - all electronic items, Yes costly and all have evaporated - been lost - not shown up or in plain speak - been Stolen ! I started a thread on the subject - a number of replies were posted with the same results, this suggests caution. I now only buy items visitors can bring in person.

Beware, I have purchased 6 items from e Bay USA, 1 each from the UK & Australia - all electronic items, Yes costly and all have evaporated - been lost - not shown up or in plain speak - been Stolen ! I started a thread on the subject - a number of replies were posted with the same results, this suggests caution. I now only buy items visitors can bring in person.

My experience is different. Ebay items have always arrived ,usually within a week to 10 days . They have been sent registered/EMS, mostly from the UK and China. Some Ebay sellers will mark things as 'gifts' and reduce the declared price. This may reduce the chance of theft or it might be that where I live i'm just lucky. Normally duty is just a few baht. ( the most was about 300 Baht on an item costing £450 but declared much less by the Ebay seller, it came as a pleasant surprise)

Using UPS from the States is also reliable and fast and of course can be tracked.( photo equipment) but the duty on those was around about 13%

On the other hand birthday/Christmas cards sometimes fail to appear, I suspect someone thinks there is cash inside.

Although most small low value items I have received without problem and without tax (shipped by mail service) a recent order for electronic item point out an issue as it was taxed (3k baht price from China shipper) drew 800 baht tax plus about 200 baht fee, trip to Post Office, and received broken. So do you pack, make another Post Office trip, pay return, only to pay another 1k tax and risk another broken unit (no packing other than display box for LCD item) or take the loss and buy locally)?

In my experience anything sent using a courier like DHL or UPS has always been hit hard with duty, anything sent standard registered mail (signed for) passes without any duty but just takes a little longer to arrive.