Thai Baht To Devalue To £1 : 85 Thb

The OP has been a member of ThaiVisa for 3 weeks. That makes him an expert in everything doesn't it?

If he could just tell me where to get a great burger in Chiang Mai, I'd gladly wait to pay $2.00 for it.

You mean like, everyone has to belong to this forum in order to be an expert on anything? :D

Edited by Gonsalviz

The OP has been a member of ThaiVisa for 3 weeks. That makes him an expert in everything doesn't it?

If he could just tell me where to get a great burger in Chiang Mai, I'd gladly wait to pay $2.00 for it.

You mean like, everyone has to belong to this forum in order to be an expert on anything? :D

Since joining this forum ,i have become an expert on everything

Since joining this forum ,i have become an expert on everything

dream on

Before I joined this forum I was an expert on everything.

Now I am the same sort of expert as everybody else here.

You are so right, did you get your crytsal ball from the 20 bht stall as well!:rolleyes:

You big city bots are so rich and so easy to be ripped off.

Its 10 baht in the makets up here.

I can promise you that the UK government will do a few more rounds of quantitative easing in 2012 diluting the pound further. The same goes for the US and US dollar - same for the Euro. The trouble is that these currencies are getting weaker. I don't know how much Thailand exports to these parts of the world, but if it's a significant proportion, then they may have to weaken the baht to ensure no loss in export sales because they're becoming too expensive. As for tourism, it could be another reason to weaken the baht. I know people go on about tourism only being 7% of the economy, but after the floods and drop in growth (and predicted growth), tourism might become that much more important again. Also consider foreign investment - another reason to weaken the baht.

Your promises are worth about as much as the paper they are printed on .... and about as credible as the OP.

It isn't just the spelling that the Stella's are affecting.

Perhaps there should be a 'time capsule' forum where threads with predictions such as this can be reopened on the appropriate date with a good laugh to be had by all then.

some months ago i counted 14 threads which, over several years, all dealt with the "fact" that the Thai economy is about to fall into the abyss dragging the Thai Baht along :whistling:

One thread has been running about five years now about this, and the dollar both are still plugging along.

Before I joined this forum I was an expert on everything.

Now I am the same sort of expert as everybody else here.

You are so right, did you get your crytsal ball from the 20 bht stall as well!:rolleyes:

You big city bots are so rich and so easy to be ripped off.

Its 10 baht in the makets up here.

I have found I get enhanced results at the side of the road clutching a bottle of Leo :) Its amazing what you can see in a bottle of Leo, I will try Chang tomorrow but wiil try and avoid falling in the road with this one.

Am sure it will hit 75 but cannot see 85 at the moment......

Wishful thinking to go that high...

I'm sure you know as little about it as the OP.

Jesus-it was tongue in cheek........

The last time (sad to say) the baht was at 75 to the GBP was in April 2005.

Bring back (some of) the good old days says I.

Am sure it will hit 75 but cannot see 85 at the moment......

Wishful thinking to go that high...

I'm sure you know as little about it as the OP.

Jesus-it was tongue in cheek........

The last time (sad to say) the baht was at 75 to the GBP was in April 2005.

Bring back (some of) the good old days says I.

I can see a scenario where the baht may drop against the dollar and sterling.

If the Euro does go under, there may be a flight to safety into these two currencies, especially the dollar. The demand will increase their exchange rate against all other currencies, but, I don't think by as much as the OP states.

Edited by KarenBravo

I think that eventually the Pound Sterling will creep up by about 10% against the Thai Baht and, unless something drastic happens in either country, this will be as good as it gets for many years to come.

As long as interest rates are so low in the UK, then the £ remains unattractive to speculators. Returns on bonds are limited.

The BofE has indicated that it has no intention of raising these during the next year (2012,) although a rise of 0.5-0.75% is feasable if inflationary pressures remain.

The loan ratings for the UK (ala ratings agencies) are amongst the highest in the World because of the current coalition governement's stringent resolve to reduce the debt. This means that the interest rate on the current debt is relatively low at about 2%+, compared with say Italy's, which is approaching an unstustainable 7%. Greece's is through the ceiling.

The UK's economic standing in the Western World is gradually rising. Seen as traditionally sound, other major countries (eg. US and France,) are weaker.

The contradiction at the moment is the reluctance of British businesses and the British public to borrow. Traditionally, the time to borrow and invest, whether it be in new plant or in domestic property, is when interest rates are low. This reluctance stifles growth at the moment, but is increasingly looking like a bubble waiting to burst. Less tardiness on the part of the Banks to lend money would help, but this is also imminent with the aid of government incentives and even legislation (ie. that regarding mortgages.)

The biggest question mark against UK recovery concerns events in Europe, and in the Eurozone in particular. These, however, could potentially upset the World's 'apple-cart.' The House of Cards has Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Spain etc. (the so-called "PIGS") at it's base.

The Thai baht has to devalue slightly (IMHO) to benefit exports. The recent flooding has exacerbated these pressures. An export led economy cannot withstand an inflated currency for too long, particularly with emerging rivals like Cambodia and Vietnam. Rivalling in everything from rice to tourism and boyed by cheaper labour costs.

The political situation remains an enigma, which could effect things drastically.

For these reasons, I stick to my initial statement.

Edited by Beechboy

dream on if it happens then GBP will be 1 to 1 for Sing $ and even against rubbish euro or us$ 30-40% less This has been predicted for years and years and unless theirs civil war which given politics is a possibility its more likely to be 25 to gbp

dream on if it happens then GBP will be 1 to 1 for Sing $ and even against rubbish euro or us$ 30-40% less This has been predicted for years and years and unless theirs civil war which given politics is a possibility its more likely to be 25 to gbp

Any particular reasoning behind your assertions?

I personally think that the £ will peak at around 52 maximum in the next two/three years, and unless something drastic happens in LoS, then that's all us Brits. can expect.

I also think that Thailand is at a watershed at the moment (but then it always seems to be that way) with the recent flooding only delaying the "Taksinisation" of Governent economic policies.

Edited by Beechboy

Any particular reasoning behind your assertions?

I personally think that the £ will peak at around 52 maximum in the next two/three years, and unless something drastic happens in LoS, then that's all us Brits. can expect.

I also think that Thailand is at a watershed at the moment (but then it always seems to be that way) with the recent flooding only delaying the "Taksinisation" of Governent economic policies.

the 3 ugly sisters as they are called the us$ euro and GBP are in a battle to devalue faster than other 2 to try and save their economies IMO Singapore is not known as Switzerland of Asia for nothing and like swiss franc is IMO one of safest currencies. Thailand has tried and succeeded in shooting itself in foot many times over last few years and as a previous post said despite droubt, sumanis, army coups, floods, burnings in BKK by red shirts the baht continues to get stronger. The only thing which will weaken it is massive civil unrest or civil war IMO and even then the army will hopefully take over. Thialand has prospered through what 30 army coups corruption and rest although like rest of Asia suffered in 1997 crash. The only way I see it going down against GBP without a civil war is if by some miracle UK sorts out its problems which is not going to happen for a long time. Its much more likely that GBP will collapse further against most asian currencies except hong kong $ while that is pegged to US$. I took most of our money out of UK many years ago when you got 74 or so to GBP and 3 sing $ to GBP and for that matter 15 Hong Kong $ to GBP and 3 Aussie $ to gbp look today Sing $ 2 to GBP hong Kong $ 12 to gbp Baht around 50 and likely to go to 40 in next 1-2 years IMO and Aus $ what nearly doubled against GBP. Anyone who is still leaving money in UK or for that matter euro or US$ is mad jap.gif but please feel free to continue to believe in fairies and that GBP is not just going to continue going downhill and if civil war comes thne it wont matter if its 1000 baht to GBP or 1 million. Without civil war ill continue putting my money in Sing $ Aussie $ and gold and silver Although we still own quite a lot of Thai stocks (now up what around 250% in last 3 years) but hold them via singapore so at first signs of civil war they will be liquidated immediately into sing $