Saudi man who raped daughter sentenced to 2,080 lashes

News_Editor

Saudi man who raped daughter sentenced to 2,080 lashes

2011-12-11 06:20:55 GMT+7 (ICT)

RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA (BNO NEWS) -- A Saudi man who repeatedly raped his daughter over a seven year period has been sentenced to 13 years in prison and more than 2,000 lashes, a local newspaper reported on Saturday.

The General Court in Mecca, the capital of Makkah province in the country's west, found the defendant whose name has not been released guilty of repeatedly raping his teenage daughter over a seven year period while under the influence of drugs, the Okaz newspaper reported.

The authorities became first aware of the case when a relative of the victim's mother told police that the girl was being sexually assaulted by her father. Investigators, which included officers from the religious police, later arrived at the man's house while he was abusing his daughter.

The judge of the court sentenced the father to 13 years imprisonment and 2,080 lashes which he will receive over the course of his prison term. Rape, pedophilia and other forms of sexual misconduct can be punished in Saudi Arabia by lashes, imprisonment and in some cases the death penalty.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-11

seems the court missed the opportunity to send him off to chop chop square. No doubt a brother or Uncle will now commit an honour killing on the girl for bringing shame on the family. 160 lashes a year. 13 a month should keep him on his toes. I imagine the psychological torture of knowing the lashes are coming each month will be just as bad as the torture his daughter went through every time she heard her father come back in the house.

Edited by GentlemanJim

I hope the victim fares better than the lady in Afghanistan that was raped and then sentenced to prison for adultery.

There are two-sides to every story pal...

Would you care to elaborate on what you mean ...pal!

No ambiguity in what he means, certainly crying rape has never been used as a defense of ones virtue before, has it? Especially in a society where the punishment is so likely to be harsh for doing so, maybe even death..

JFYI not defending anyone here just explaining his meaning that escaped you.

As for the OP it does seem to be a worthwhile sentence on the Saudi's part though as another poster mentioned my concern now is for the young woman's safety in regards to a possible honor killing. I hope that was somehow addressed in the ruling and strict cautions expressed.

I hope the victim fares better than the lady in Afghanistan that was raped and then sentenced to prison for adultery.

My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering now what the punishment will be for the daughter who had the audacity to tempt him all these years? whistling.gif

Good someone did the maths... But 13 lashes a month ONLY???? They should make it about a hundred lashes first, and then whittle it down toward the end of the term. And perhaps, somewhere in the middle, "accidentally" lose count of how many lashes were delivered, prompting a restart...

Edited by theanimaster

My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering now what the punishment will be for the daughter who had the audacity to tempt him all these years? whistling.gif

Aside from the real possibility of the daughter bringing 'shame' on the family there is another reason convictions for rape are rare, namely under Sharia law a man's testimony is equal to that of two women so witnesses are an issue, except in this case where the police caught him with his trousers down.

now waiting patiently for Amnesty International (perhaps invoking Green Peace too?) to bemoan the inhuman excesses of practised Wahhabi Sharia Law :whistling:

Now waiting patiently for the court to decide on the proper punishment for the teenage daughter.....

There are two-sides to every story pal...

Would you care to elaborate on what you mean ...pal!

No ambiguity in what he means, certainly crying rape has never been used as a defense of ones virtue before, has it? Especially in a society where the punishment is so likely to be harsh for doing so, maybe even death..

JFYI not defending anyone here just explaining his meaning that escaped you.

As for the OP it does seem to be a worthwhile sentence on the Saudi's part though as another poster mentioned my concern now is for the young woman's safety in regards to a possible honor killing. I hope that was somehow addressed in the ruling and strict cautions expressed.

I understand that, but the case quoted above was quite clear. The man concerned admitted it and was jailed for 7 years (he was also a family member), and the woman was then jailed for two years for "Adultery by force) !!!!!, on appeal the woman had her sentence increased to 12 yrs and told she could only be released if she married her attacker !!!!, then final appeal 3 years without need for marriage. As a result of the rape she gave birth in prison to a daughter. Because of massive international process she has now been pardoned and released. Yep there is two sides to every story.

Edited by Scott
formatting

seems the court missed the opportunity to send him off to chop chop square. No doubt a brother or Uncle will now commit an honour killing on the girl for bringing shame on the family. 160 lashes a year. 13 a month should keep him on his toes. I imagine the psychological torture of knowing the lashes are coming each month will be just as bad as the torture his daughter went through every time she heard her father come back in the house.

"chop-chop square" are you suggesting a beheading? :shock1:

In my honest opinion there is no punishement anywhere near severe enough for any parents who betray the trust of their children like that. Unfortunately, even where laws exist there is rarely true justice in this world. Taking his head off would be too good for this one.

In my honest opinion there is no punishement anywhere near severe enough for any parents who betray the trust of their children like that. Unfortunately, even where laws exist there is rarely true justice in this world. Taking his head off would be too good for this one.

I didn't specify large or small ;):(

And dear old Britain, many years ago, insisted that the IoM ban corporal punishment because . . . it was demeaning to the criminal on the receiving end. The fact that the victim had undoubtedly suffered degradation, that the recipient of the caning would suffer some pain and humiliation, but would otherwise be unharmed, the fact that he/she would without doubt remember such a punishment, making it much more effective than prison for many crimes, sailed straight over the top of the collective heads of the British government of the time.

And they still join any number of other, so say civilised countries, in criticising the likes of Singapore and Saudi Arabia for continuing with the use of lashing - in Singapore's case, caning. Until these civilised countries can prove, beyond all reasonable doubt, that their tried and tested judicial methods are at least as effective as corporal punishment - little chance of that happening, simply because they are not - I will continue to support this purportedly barbaric practice.

Such a pity we in the west are so civilised . . .

Edited by JohnAllan

And dear old Britain, many years ago, insisted that the IoM ban corporal punishment because . . . it was demeaning to the criminal on the receiving end. The fact that the victim had undoubtedly suffered degradation, that the recipient of the caning would suffer some pain and humiliation, but would otherwise be unharmed, the fact that he/she would without doubt remember such a punishment, making it much more effective than prison for many crimes, sailed straight over the top of the collective heads of the British government of the time.

And they still join any number of other, so say civilised countries, in criticising the likes of Singapore and Saudi Arabia for continuing with the use of lashing - in Singapore's case, caning. Until these civilised countries can prove, beyond all reasonable doubt, that their tried and tested judicial methods are at least as effective as corporal punishment - little chance of that happening, simply because they are not - I will continue to support this purportedly barbaric practice.

Such a pity we in the west are so civilised . . .

Hear, hear!:thumbsup:

They chop all sorts of bits off there, perhaps he needs to see how life is as a woman in Saudi. Chop chop!

They chop all sorts of bits off there, perhaps he needs to see how life is as a woman in Saudi. Chop chop!

Hands and heads only. The other 'bits' do not get the knife.

Hands and heads only. The other 'bits' do not get the knife.

I know, it was wishful thinking dry.gif

now waiting patiently for Amnesty International (perhaps invoking Green Peace too?) to bemoan the inhuman excesses of practised Wahhabi Sharia Law :whistling:

Your snide mention on Green Peace is unwarranted, and you know it. Green Peace has no dealings whatsoever on this type of case.

AI is consistent on its positions. It is opposed to excessive physical punishment. In this case, as abhorent as the crime is, the punishment is excessive. The lashings are the equivalent of state sanctioned torture and AI is very clear in its opposition to such activity.

And btw, I am not a supporter of AI, but I do recognize that the organization serves an important role in the world, a role that keeps people with your views in check..

Your snide mention on Green Peace is unwarranted, and you know it. Green Peace has no dealings whatsoever on this type of case.

AI is consistent on its positions. It is opposed to excessive physical punishment. In this case, as abhorent as the crime is, the punishment is excessive. The lashings are the equivalent of state sanctioned torture and AI is very clear in its opposition to such activity.

And btw, I am not a supporter of AI, but I do recognize that the organization serves an important role in the world, a role that keeps people with your views in check..

I thought in the past you were in agreement with waterboarding and Gitmo?