Cockadoodledoo & The Nokia 3120

udon

Was considering buying the 3120 here in Aus but I really want that stupid rooster crowing on it as a ringtone.

I cannot find it as a polyphonic download.

Can anyone help?

cheers

udon

I have it on my Noka 6260 and if I can work out how to download it to my laptop I will send it to you with pleasure.

Billd

have a search here

Was considering buying the 3120 here in Aus but I really want that stupid rooster crowing on it as a ringtone.

I cannot find it as a polyphonic download.

Can anyone help?

cheers

udon

Slightly off topic but, you can get a cuckoo sound off a Sony Ericcson.....!

Would that do. :o

redrus

Polyphonic formats are often not the same between different manufacturers. Sometimes they differ even between different models within the same company.

You have to check your manual or google for 'my phone model' 'polyphonic' to find out what type of polyphonic files your phone uses.

Mp3 sounds and tunes can be moved between different platforms, as can MIDI sounds - however, mp3 can not be played on a phone that only supports MIDI, and MIDI is not immediately available on mp3 phones (you may be able to convert MIDI to mp3 though).

It's a bit of a jungle.

I have rooster in .wav format.ย  Not sure if you can use that on your phone or not.

I have attached 3 soundsย  if you wanted them, a sheep, cow and rooster.ย  let me know if they help.

Khun Aus.

Thanks Aus, that's given me something to work on.

I'm going into the CBD today and will try to find out more. :D

Bill. keep trying :o

udon, the 3120 uses midi ringtones EDIT: AND *.amr ringtones. MIDI is a compressed format that does music and digital sounds only. It can not do voice, and I doubt it'll be able to produce a convincing rooster sound.

The smoothest format to use in mp3 - that means your phone can play *any* sound as a ringtone. Some of them allow you to record sounds directly in the phone and use them as ringtones (I used to have a recording of my 4-year old nephew screaming 'Pick it UP!! Pick it Uuuuuup!' which drove everybody crazy, but also drew a few laughs).

EDIT: I did some further research, and found a way out:

There is one other possibility if you must use the Nokia 3120 and cannot buy a phone with mp3 ringtone capability.

Apart from the midi format, the 3120 also plays a file format known as AMR - .amr . There is a program available for free which can convert .wav and .mp3 files into .amr files on your computer. The process seems a little complicated, but it is by all means possible. This means that the rooster sound file that was posted above *can* be adapted to fit your phone - but the quality will not be as good.

You can read more about the conversion process at: http://www.miksoft.net/mobileAMRconverter.htm .

The attached file will work with your phone, but you need to change the file extension from .mp3 to .amr manually (the Thaivisa board software did not allow me to attach the file when it had the .amr extension, probably because it disallows all file types it does not recognize by default.

Now that the file has the file extension .mp3, it will not play.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART:

You need to download the file, save it and right click it, then choose "Rename". Change the file extension from .mp3 to .amr . Windows will warn you that you may not be able to use the file if you change the file extension. Click Yes anyway. You now have a rooster sound which you can upload to your phone. Cheers.

rooster1.mp3

Many thanks SwedishM.

I've saved yr post.

A bit of a prob with that mp3 file..... this what I get when I tried to dload it

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Any ideas..... again, thank you.

Hi Udon.

To play the file on the computer you can download Real Player and a small plugin - but it wont be necessary if you are only going to use it on your phone.

The rooster call sounds the same as it does in the .wav file that khunAu posted above. The main thing is that you will be able to play the file on your phone, right?

Don't forget that you need to rename the file by changing the file extension from *.mp3 to *.amr .

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks MS,

but,

my old Nokia finally shit itself and died this week so I needed a phone in a hurry.

Went to see the local Arab Phoneman and bought a 'slightly used' Frogfone, Sagem "my X-5m".

Low and behold, it has a Rooster on board, even better, it has a ships foghorn which scared the life out of me today when it rang.

It also has WAP GPRS & Infrared (what use that will be to me, I dunno.)

I just hope it's not a Lemon :o

1st time I've left the Nokia fold since 1996-7, & I still have an original Orange "brick" from that era........ no bargirl would steal it (mai suay)

Thanks to all who replied.