Farang Liars And Wierdos

maiphedmaiaroi

Is that a straight question? I was in the SAS 1967 to 69. 21st regiment (artists rifles).Was active as an observer in Eastern Europe in 1968. The Prague uprising.

21 SAS is a TA unit (part time reservists if you're not British). Very surprised to hear that they deployed to Prague in 1968!

My Bullshit meter is in the red!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a straight question? I was in the SAS 1967 to 69. 21st regiment (artists rifles).Was active as an observer in Eastern Europe in 1968. The Prague uprising.

21 SAS is a TA unit (part time reservists if you're not British). Very surprised to hear that they deployed to Prague in 1968!

I was also active as an observer in amsterdam 1996 - currently awaiting my next briefing ;)

It appears abundantly transparent to me after living here for some time that those who tend to tell relentless porky pies are the overweight insurer folk.

Bullshi#ing makes them feel better about themselves temporally, once the effect wares off they need to bullsh* some more and so the cycle continues...cream cake, no one loves me so bullshi*

Not so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service

Before a genuine member of the SAS is insulted let's be sure of our facts.

Edited by chiang mai

Not so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service

I'm sure there are genuine members of such Elite forces on this forum- heck my Dad serves as a Roral Marine for 17 years.

But I am also reasonably sure that they would not feel the need to

a) State their level of involvement in the armed forces.

B ) Back this up with details

c) Say that their Dad was in the Royal Marines.... :unsure:

Edited by chonabot

Just an observation. If you're the kinda guy who's lived a fairly boring life, and coming to Thailand, doing the scene, is considered adventurous and a bit out of the norm, then a lot may sound like lies to you. Sometimes the perspective is the problem.

I met a bloke in Khon Kaen once who claimed to have paperwork that showed he actually owned Australia and New Zealand and had taken the Queen to court ( with George Bush as a witness for some reason) to stake his claim.

I guess I'll have to readjust my pespectice as I foolishly wrote him off as a mad <deleted>. :D

Met the same guy I am certain, claimed the Queen (Commonwealth version) was realted to John Howard & Hitler etc a real nutter mostly everyone listened to his stories once or twice except for a fairly boisterous American chappy who told him in no uncertain words to F### Off - The American chappy was trying to enjoy breakfast the Bloke was only half way through his dit but hit the trail.

Yes, a long time!!!!

I concur, many ex SAS, Paras, US Special forces in Thailand, I take it that they just want to 'get away'!!!

I have also met many EX Brtitish Airways pilots who are retired in their 40's. Wish I had joined BA and became a pilot to retire very early!!What a geat job that must have been, seeing the world, pretty cabin crew, good salary and obviously a great pension scheme! I know what I will tell me kids to be!!!!!

The thing that I find funny is that they think others believe them!!! Maybe some do but me??? nah.

BA ... pretty cabin crew? Been a while since you have flown BA eh?

Far more than any BS artists claiming to be Special Forces here in Thailand….There seems to be a far greater number of experts who can spot this. Though I agree… there is an element of saddos out there needing to convince everyone there Special Opps and in the main, they are not too hard to spot.

But I would take a guess that a fair few posting on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a NAAFI manager from Oakhampton, an NCO from a 'Bath and shower unit', a member of the regiment or a solider of God from the Salvation Army. Civvies, what you like! So…….How can you be so sure it's BS. OK, if it walks like a duck and quacks….Fair enough, don't be too quick guys. That 65 year old guy, with a few drinks on board maybe lonely, but he could also be telling the truth. Don't be too quick to judge others by your own experiences, and you know, very few SF soldiers if they make 65 look like one of the cast from the film 'Predator' nor did they back in the day either. Funny thing is SF, ex, or serving look just like you or me.

I've only had one guy try to impress me, why, God onlyk nows! He trained with the SAS, he said….Not in, just trained….Nice one!

Here's an indicate for you to try next time your story teller is half way through storming a fortified dug-out with no more than an oatmeal biscuit and a P45…(compo tin opener)……Ask him his Service number, if he can't respond in a heartbeat, he was never even in the service, not even a 'Brownie.

Edited by Tonto21

Far more than any BS artists claiming to be Special Forces here in Thailand….There seems to be a far greater number of experts who can spot this. Though I agree… there is an element of saddos out there needing to convince everyone there Special Opps and in the main, they are not too hard to spot.

But I would take a guess that a fair few posting on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a NAAFI manager from Oakhampton, an NCO from a 'Bath and shower unit', a member of the regiment or a solider of God from the Salvation Army. Civvies, what you like! So…….How can you be so sure it's BS. OK, if it walks like a duck and quacks….Fair enough, don't be too quick guys. That 65 year old guy, with a few drinks on board maybe lonely, but he could also be telling the truth. Don't be too quick to judge others by your own experiences, and you know, very few SF soldiers if they make 65 look like one of the cast from the film 'Predator' nor did they back in the day either. Funny thing is SF, ex, or serving look just like you or me.

I've only had one guy try to impress me, why, God onlyk nows! He trained with the SAS, he said….Not in, just trained….Nice one!

Here's an indicate for you to try next time your story teller is half way through storming a fortified dug-out with no more than an oatmeal biscuit and a P45…(compo tin opener)……Ask him his Service number, if he can't respond in a heartbeat, he was never even in the service, not even a 'Brownie.

Totally agree, as I said earlier it's eight digits long, not nine or ten or eleven and no soldier ever forgets it, ever.

Totally agree, as I said earlier it's eight digits long, not nine or ten or eleven and no soldier ever forgets it, ever.

12345678 ,12345678 , 12345678 ,12345678 ...........Just trying to have it engraved into my memory in case someone asks me .:D

12345678 ,12345678 , 12345678 ,12345678 ...........Just trying to have it engraved into my memory in case someone asks me .:D

Hells bells, if that was your number, you must have joined when Centurion was a rank and not a tank! :D

A good deal of US Army infantry, and even a number of Marine units, have trained with Special Forces. They often took the part of local forces that the Green Berets "trained." And of course, transport helo units and Air Force transport planes have taken the Special Forces soldiers on drops and lifts. For the SEALs, subs, aircraft, and surface ships have all trained and done actual ops with them. I have no idea on the figures, but I would imagine that a significant portion of the military have trained with the various elite ops units.

As far as the service number, if you asked me that, I would hesitate. In the US armed forces, they changed the service number to the social security number, I think right about the time I entered the service. I can spout out my Naval Academy number at the drop of a hat, but asking for my service number would give me pause while I figured out what you meant.

never been in the military, but i have been involved with training different forces civilian and otherwise in CQC.

I have found the SF to be hard to spot as they are really chosen more for there brains over brawn.

obviously when you are training them you know, but if i was not told i would never pick em.

classic grey men, some even looked like fit nerds.

now everyone can get on with calling me a liar i expect, seems to be the norm here.

although a man did tell me yesterday he once shot 1500 rabbits in one night, earned 13000 oz dollars a week, and won lotto 4 times, please make it at least believable.

Edited by mataus101

This experience doesn't involve a liar or a weirdo but an annoying European guy.

It was at a cafe in Kao San about 4 years ago. A couple of guys in their early-to-mid twenties were drinking beer at a table and I sat myself at the adjoining table. They started talking to me...they were brothers, as far as I can remember. One of the guys was really drunk and loud. I was with them for only 10 minutes or so (the loud guy was the reason I left that place sooner than I had planned) but that loud and annoying guy kept talking about Thai women and he was saying things like how easy it was to get the women to bed in Thailand and other demeaning things about women. It was annoying and embarrassing experience so I finished my drink quickly and took off.

The very next day, again in Kao San, these two guys walked past me on a sidewalk, without recognising me. I noticed that the loud and annoying guy could barely walk and his face was full of bruises. Apparently, he got a beating the previous night, possibly from some local guys whom he must have annoyed (of course I don't rule out the possibility that maybe he was innocent in the fight that happened but from the way he acted when I saw him the first time, I say this is little possibility).

Jem

Hells bells, if that was your number, you must have joined when Centurion was a rank and not a tank! :D

Maybe Boudicca batman :D

Eight or so years ago I was sat at a restaurant in Koh Samui with Mrs CM having breakfast, at the next table a middle aged American wanted to talk and started to prattle on about this that and the other. Not wishing to appear rude we listened quietly and ate faster whilst he explained that he had arrived in Thailand a week ago to look for a wife.

On his first evening he found Nana and soon thereafter his wife to be dancing at go-go this or that, he paid her bar fine and went back to the hotel and next morning he proposed - she accepted and was duly dispatched to her village with a wad of cash to prepare for the wedding ceremony and he to initiate her US visa. Somewhere along the way he decided that a real holiday was in order hence his arrival in Koh Samui where he was now wondering if he had done the right thing since there are so many alternatives to his first choice, what did we think he asked. What can you sensibly tell people like that whilst still retaining some degree of civility, not much I'm afraid.

Your bullshit meter is full of shit thenlaugh.gif They (plural) did not deploy, I (solo) visited Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary as well as Prague. My brief was simply to assess how these Warsaw Pact countries were reacting to the situation, and naturally I was a civilian tourist. Have you never wondered why the 21st and 23rd are civilian outfits?

Now if you are such an expert, perhaps you can tell me what happened in Rhinefallen and Baumholder the previous year?

It once had a my job to transport dangerous criminals. They got into a conversation about Thailand and one had just returned from Thailand to do his sentence. He was a Pikey and said he wouldn't spent another minute in such a dangerous country.

I can understand though as if you have met a Pikey then you know you are backed up by the camp site, and think they own the place. Its a good job he was a cage fighter otherwise he wouldn't last ten minutes.

I met a man up north who had a restaurant that sold farrang food, in 2 years the place will be full he said and you can buy it off me for 1million. 4 years on and it's still up for sale at 200 thousand. This may not sound strange because we all hear these stories but you didn't meet the bloke :lock:

Not so:

http://en.wikipedia....ial_Air_Service

I'm sure there are genuine members of such Elite forces on this forum- heck my Dad serves as a Roral Marine for 17 years.

But I am also reasonably sure that they would not feel the need to

a) State their level of involvement in the armed forces.

B ) Back this up with details

c) Say that their Dad was in the Royal Marines.... :unsure:

My original mention of SAS was not to impress but simply to illustrate I have had a fairly eventful life and was now hoping, unsuccessfully, for a quiet one. I could have mentioned other events, such as growing up during the London blitz, or my National Service with 4th Independent Squadron in Brighton (that was a blastlaugh.gif)Or spending years wandering around Europe, or my time in Soho or Nottinghill Gate.

But I prefer to describe myself as a retired Physics teacher, as for insults, forget it, at the age of 75 I could not care less about some know it all disbelieving what I did in my 30's.

My original mention of SAS was not to impress but simply to illustrate I have had a fairly eventful life and was now hoping, unsuccessfully, for a quiet one. I could have mentioned other events, such as growing up during the London blitz, or my National Service with 4th Independent Squadron in Brighton (that was a blastlaugh.gif)Or spending years wandering around Europe, or my time in Soho or Nottinghill Gate.

But I prefer to describe myself as a retired Physics teacher, as for insults, forget it, at the age of 75 I could not care less about some know it all disbelieving what I did in my 30's.

FWIW ( and it's not worth much - my opinion that is ) I do believe you - somehow you do not come across as a braggard - so respect to you :)

never been in the military, but i have been involved with training different forces civilian and otherwise in CQC.

I have found the SF to be hard to spot as they are really chosen more for there brains over brawn.

obviously when you are training them you know, but if i was not told i would never pick em.

classic grey men, some even looked like fit nerds.

now everyone can get on with calling me a liar i expect, seems to be the norm here.

although a man did tell me yesterday he once shot 1500 rabbits in one night, earned 13000 oz dollars a week, and won lotto 4 times, please make it at least believable.

Marine Recon tend to be somewhat muscular, more fitting the stereotype, but Special Forces and SEALs tend to be more on the smaller side--very fit--but not so obviously cut, especially when wearing clothes which cover the full body. Tom Norris, one of the living SEAL Medal of Honor awardees, is quite a small, unassuming man. He is bonkers (in a good way), but he looks like a grammar school teacher. Senator Kerrey, another SEAL Medal of Honor Awardee, looks like a middle-level businessman. Only Mike Thornton, of the Vietnam SEAL Medal of Honor awardees. even came close to fitting the mold of the Hollywood version of a member of one of our elite forces.

One of my classmates, now a SEAL Vice Admiral, is the deputy commander of USCENTCOM. He has extensive combat experience and rumor has it that he is slated to be in charge of all special operations forces. He is a very low-keyed, somewhat small man, ready to smile at just about anything. If you met him, you would think he worked at Walmart or Home Depot.

So your point is well-taken. Most of the snake-eaters I have known do not fit the mold which would make people think they belonged to an elite unit. And I would have to assume that this would also be the case with elite units from other nations as well.

FWIW ( and it's not worth much - my opinion that is ) I do believe you - somehow you do not come across as a braggard - so respect to you :)

Thank you. As you get older you learn that the important thing is not what you did but that you enjoyed doing it. cool.gif

jesse venture was a seal, he certainly looked like you would expect one to.

the sas i'm told feel that to much bulk makes it impossible to do long runs.

I worked in the states, canada, holland, hong kong, Italy, Thailand, and Germany.

was a good experience, you not truly learning until your teaching.

I like the American boys attitudes and nature, very patriotic, however a little chatty and joke to much in training.

the Thai were dead serious and listen intently.

canadians seem to love fighting.

this all reminds me of when i was teaching rape prevention to a bunch of woman, first thing I told them was to seriously try and crap in there pants, it should put a man off.

thats enough of that im getting off coarse.

Edited by mataus101

Or one of the RSM's favourites - " When I joined up laddie, we didn't have service numbers, everyone knew each other"

ph34r.gif

:cheesy:

Or if a member of crab air, when Pontius was a Pilate.

ph34r.gif