My Electricity And Water Prices Are Far Too Much Is It Legal

hello i need some advise i have owned a house on koh tao since 2006.i work in the uk in the building industry.but like to spend winters at my house in thailand.i brought the house from a local thai with a small piece of land.the house was advertised as having government electricity which was 3bht a unit but there was also a private electricity supplier for when the government generator could not cope with supply.so i agreed to pay 9 baht a unit and 100 baht a unit for water.i pay the landowner.i paid 2.6 million baht which was a very good price high but i liked the house so paid it.about a month later the thai guy knocked on the door and demanded 20000 baht as he was fitting a stabilizer and doing some improvements to the power supply.i refused as i had just given him a large sum of cash for the house.the next day he put my electricity up to 20 baht a unit and water to 150bht.then a year later the electricity went up to 25 bht a unit and water to 200.now the electricity is 30 baht and water 250.i regularly pay between 7000 and 9000 a month for water and electricity.i complained to the local police but they couldn't help.my neighbours whos house is just of the guys land pay a fraction of this.no one on the island seems to be paying more than 10 baht for electricity.i like the house but feel i have to sell up and move.is there anything i can do.do i have any rights.is he breaking the law.my thai wife has spoken to the guy but he says he can charge what he wants.has anyone got any advice..thanks

Why dont you just get the electricity supply connected directly to your own house?

As long as you are doing anything that involves a third party they will be overcharging you; they always do, be they Thai or farang.

I'm in a rented condo in Pattaya and I pay 4B directly. If I was paying the owner or an agent it would probably cost me much more.

Edited by Darrel

OUCH! Sadly as a private supplier I don't think you can do a thing about it other than try and source government power.

We're currently paying about 30 Baht a unit, but that's from a small gasoline generator whilst our mains is off due to flood damage. So I suppose privately sourced power could actually be costing something approaching that.

Up here out in the countryside we have mains water and electricity.

We pay 2 baht per cubic meter (unit) for water and I think between 3 and 4 baht per unit of electricity.

At 30 baht per unit of electricity you would be cheaper to buy a big diesel generator and generate your own and I am sure that somebody in the Amphur or Tessaban will deliver water in tanker loads for much cheaper than he charges.

i have owned a house on koh tao since 2006.

Doesn't sound to me like you own the house, sounds like you signed a 30 year lease

there was also a private electricity supplier for when the government generator could not cope with supply.

So are you paying this exorbitant price for electricity and water FROM this "private electricity supplier " or are you paying these outrageous prices to the person from whom you "bought" this house ?

i like the house but feel i have to sell up and move.is there anything i can do.do i have any rights.

Good luck with that, since no one in their right minds is going to get involved in a house where the utilities are higher than RENT would be