How To Choose Tiles

meyori

I am a wife. So I can not do what you suggest.

Do as I do, send the wife :)

555 Oops :)

Send Hubby then :)

Seriously find something you like the look of then look at the price, you are largely correct in that paying more does not necessarily mean better quality. Look at the finish consistency, if the shop will let you look in several boxes check for colour match.

Are you looking for floor or wall tiles?

You need to go to a store which has a large display area of tiles to view. Unfortunately places like Home Pro or Home Works only display a small number of the tiles that are available

If you have a Boonthavorn store near you, go there since they have numerous display rooms set up to show you tiles in natural settings

If not then go to their web site and use their interactive tools to view tiles

http://www.boonthavorn.com/index99.php#

BTW: Google translate will assist you in choosing categories

I like the store near payap university on the middle ring road, S ... something Sukapan?

Good selection of tiles.

Find the pattern you like but go for the higher grade of that tile. Lower grades do scratch more easily and are not much cheaper.

Big tiles in a reasonable sized room make it look more spacious, small tiles make it look 'bitty'.

The tiles with the squared off edges mean the tiles are laid touching and do not have the grout line that gets dirty. But make sure your expert lays them correctly.

I would also add to make sure you get a coarse finish for the bathrooms or anyplace which will get wet.

Highly polished tile is very slippery when water-covered.

very true...I had the wife do the finishing for our shop houses and she made the right selection...

I was away from home and had a health condition that caused me to collapse on the tile floor of my accommodation and my previously welcoming abode was transformed into a lethally menacing hell hole...

tiles can be deadly...:(

If you're clueless and can afford it, get an interior designer. Well worth it. Otherwise, if you have a lot of corners and not really large space, avoid the large tiles. It's really just a matter of taste and whether you want a design or not. Think about color - matching the wall paint, drapes, etc. And some tiles are slippery vs. a bit of texture. Things like that to think about.

Thank you for your reply. And from all comments, I guess other than slippery/non-slippery, color, design and size, there is not really quality difference then ?

I would also add to make sure you get a coarse finish for the bathrooms or anyplace which will get wet.

Depending on where the tiles are for, the OP may wish to consider non slip tiles.

Thank you for your reply. And from all comments, I guess other than slippery/non-slippery, color, design and size, there is not really quality difference then ?

Depending on where the tiles are for, the OP may wish to consider non slip tiles.

Not really. But, you will find that the ones you like cost more. :)

We found tile that we liked at a store on one of the ring roads until the salesperson told us that it is "C" grade and that the color would likely vary from tile-to-tile. Went to HomePro and were advised to buy the higher grade tiles AND to get them from the same lot so that they look the same. I think there are differences in the quality so you have to ask questions about the grade and consistency. Good luck! We are going through Tile Trauma as well.

We found tile that we liked at a store on one of the ring roads until the salesperson told us that it is "C" grade and that the color would likely vary from tile-to-tile. Went to HomePro and were advised to buy the higher grade tiles AND to get them from the same lot so that they look the same. I think there are differences in the quality so you have to ask questions about the grade and consistency. Good luck! We are going through Tile Trauma as well.

I too just found out recently that you can get different grades for the same tile :o

Edited by alfieconn

Photo taken the other day, these were not el-cheapo tiles, buyer beware.

post-39258-0-09275800-1324042664_thumb.j