Windows 7 - System Updates

crabstix

I am using genuine windows starter on my netbook. There seem to be windows updates available every single day which takes time to install. However, everytime I download and install them, the computer creates a restore point. To me, the purpose of a restore point is in case something goes wrong with your computer e.g if the updates cause your system to crash. This implies that the updates themselves which are supposed to help fix errors, can in fact cause the errors! Would I be right in saying this? So my question is , how do I decide which updates to install? Do restore points take up a lot of space? I imagine that if I install updates on a daily basis, these restore points would quickly take up tons of space on my hard drive. What advice do you have?

I can't exactly say what happens with Windows 7 starter as it is a stripped down version of Windows 7. But I assume it's the same as all the other versions of Windows 7.

You should only receive updates about once a month (usually around the 12th of the month). You shouldn't be receiving updates daily.

Yes, by default a restore point is made to help recover from a crash upon the restart after the update, but that does not mean the update is a bad fix. There are other things that can contribute to the failure.

Some updates depend on other updates being installed, so you should install all the important updates. Of course the optional updates are up to you. Sometimes I have seen problems with some (such as a defective driver).

The amount of space consumed by restore points can be controlled on a drive by drive basis. If the space is exceeded, previous restore points are deleted to make room for the new restore point. Or if the restore is turned off for the drive, no space is consumed. You can control this from the System Properties window>System Protection tab.

Edited by BB1950

"Patch Tuesday", the second of the month, is the usual day for Windows updates though they also get pushed out on other days.

Either way, you should always do all of them.

The restore points are just in case the update goes wrong, and new restore points replace old ones to save space.

One of the updates that is distributed daily is the signature update for MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and then it's only flagged as optional and only available if you have that program installed.

Updates are classified as Important, Recommended, Optional, and Featured. Here's what they mean:
  • Important updates offer significant benefits, such as improved security, privacy, and reliability. They should be installed as they become available, and can be installed automatically with Windows Update.
  • Recommended updates address non-critical problems or help enhance your computing experience. While these updates do not address fundamental issues with your computer or Windows software, they can offer meaningful improvements. These can be installed automatically.
  • Optional updates can include updates, drivers, or new software from Microsoft to enhance your computing experience. You can only install these manually.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Updates-frequently-asked-questions