Thai Driving In The Uk

cricketer

Under the various conventions, signed and ratified by Great Britain and Thailand, the holder of a valid driving license can drive in the other country for 45 days.

However, the driving license must also be in the English language, or accompanied by an International Driving Permit with the language of the country to be visited.

In short, if the Thai driving license is the new model which is in Thai and English she can drive in England for 45 days.

To be certain, get an IDP.

Who would even know, never ever had my license checked in the UK. Just be aware of any insurance implications if there is a problem. IDP is easy to get.

If she drive's like any other Thai she wouldn't get 2 km/mile's without either having an accident or the police pulling her over and giving her a very large fine, 200 bt doesn't work in England. Question does she know what an indicator is for, or even how to use one. I ask because I don't know ONE Thai who does.

Who would even know, never ever had my license checked in the UK. Just be aware of any insurance implications if there is a problem. IDP is easy to get.

If she drive's like any other Thai she wouldn't get 2 km/mile's without either having an accident or the police pulling her over and giving her a very large fine, 200 bt doesn't work in England. Question does she know what an indicator is for, or even how to use one. I ask because I don't know ONE Thai who does.

So, you live in Thailand, you drive in Thailand and you do not know ONE Thai person who uses indicators, you must be blind and therefore should never be allowed to drive a car yourself .

Will you take a drive with me and give me 1000 Baht for every Thai driver that we see who uses indicators ?

Didn't think so. :)

So, you live in Thailand, you drive in Thailand and you do not know ONE Thai person who uses indicators, you must be blind and therefore should never be allowed to drive a car yourself .

Will you take a drive with me and give me 1000 Baht for every Thai driver that we see who uses indicators ?

Guess your right but they use the indicator to turn left but in fact turn right :unsure:, think that's the posters point. :D

In LOS the indicator is a thingy, know one here knows what it's for, just to let folk know they are going to do something, what, we don't know till it happens. :lol:

She can drive in the UK on any foreign license for one year, providing you have insurance etc. An IDP is not needed.

She can also drive on a UK provisional license without L plates or supervisor for a year. After the year is up however, she would either have to pass the UK test (if she hadn't done it during the year), or drive with L plates and supervisor until she passes. The Thai license is not exchangeable for a UK one.

Edited by madjbs

She can drive in the UK on any foreign license for one year, providing you have insurance etc. An IDP is not needed.

She can also drive on a UK provisional license without L plates or supervisor for a year. After the year is up however, she would either have to pass the UK test (if she hadn't done it during the year), or drive with L plates and supervisor until she passes. The Thai license is not exchangeable for a UK one.

Spot on I wonder where some of the other comments and beliefs come from.

Personally I wouldn't let my Mrs drive in English cities without having some English driving lessons, but as they say " It's up to you " :D

Guess your right but they use the indicator to turn left but in fact turn right :unsure:, think that's the posters point. :D

In LOS the indicator is a thingy, know one here knows what it's for, just to let folk know they are going to do something, what, we don't know till it happens. :lol:

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek but they Thai's don't use the indicator's if at all as the Brit's do, I love the way that they turn the hazard warning light's to tell you they are going strait on. I only hope that she know's that to flash some one with your head light's mean's I'm coming through here. Try that in Blighty and the car you flashed will come out in front of you. I don't have to tell you what will happen then. Speed camera's, cutting corner's, under taking, turning left/right at traffic light's when there red, ect As another poster said you should get her to have some lesson's first. Or as I said she wouldn't get 2 km Edited by fredob43

spot on link here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022561

And never forget to use your hazard lights to indicate that you intend to go strait on. :annoyed:

And never forget to use your hazard lights to indicate that you intend to go strait on. :annoyed:

And you can indicate LEFT and keep right so to let them know they can undertake.:blink: