UNESCO raises Palestinian flag at Paris headquarters

News_Editor

UNESCO raises Palestinian flag at Paris headquarters

2011-12-14 16:32:34 GMT+7 (ICT)

PARIS (BNO NEWS) -- The Paris headquarters of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) on Tuesday raised the Palestinian flag for the first time as the UN agency marked Palestine's admission as a full member.

Palestine was admitted during the agency's General Conference on October 31, becoming UNESCO's 195th member, and the membership took effect on November 23 when Palestinian officials signed and accepted the agency's constitution in London. UNESCO thus became the first UN agency to admit Palestine as a full member.

During Tuesday's ceremony, which was attended by Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and several senior UNESCO officials, UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova noted that membership "goes beyond raising the flag" and includes critical rights and responsibilities, as well as the sharing of universal values such as tolerance and respect for others.

"Membership allows a country to bring to the world that which it cherishes most - the wealth of its culture, the resonance of its dreams for mutual understanding," Bokova said, underlining that the Palestinian people, as all peoples, must be able to preserve their culture and heritage.

"They must benefit from quality education, education for peace," Bokova added. "A strong educational system teaches respect for human rights. A vibrant culture respects the culture of others. In this connected world, healthy societies flourish through ties with others. UNESCO stands for all of this."

Abbas, meanwhile, said the admission to UNESCO was "a tremendous source of pride to us. Palestinian writers, artists and researchers have played a vital role trying to preserve the culture and identity of our people." The Palestinian president also recognized that UNESCO has played a fundamental role - and has been "a loyal partner."

Bokova expressed that the ceremony marks an opportunity for all parties to join together around shared values and renewed ambitions for peace, stating that "multilateralism has never been so important."

The move to admit Palestine to UNESCO, which is part of a broader campaign by Palestine to get recognition as a state by the United Nations, sparked outrage in Israel and the United States. Both countries suspended funding to UNESCO in response to the admission.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-14

That flag will be flying over Jerusalem in the not too distant future. The world has finally decided that something needs to be done about the Israel problem, and the recent decision by UNESCO is just the first of many changes we will see.

:)

What do you mean exactly?

Newt was right. There has never been a country called Palestine or a Palestinian people or a Palestinian language. UNESCO's charade does not change the facts.

I agree. Newt is right (scary thought) but it is stupid for a potential president to say that, because people hear that and think he is against the Palestinians having their own state. Of course well all know the majority of Palestinians want to take over ALL of Israel, and I don't think that truth can be said often enough.

Edited by Jingthing

Newt has often said that he is for the two state solution, but telling the truth about the history of the conflict is to be encouraged and he gets points for that. :)

It inflames the rest of the world for no good reason. While academically correct, the current political reality is that there are millions of people globally who identify as Palestinians.

How did the colonial rulers in the past refer to the peoples there? Jews and Arabs. Not Israelis and Palestinians.

Edited by Jingthing

It also educates the world about the myth that has been promoted at the expense of the facts. Most people have bought the lie that these people were there originally when in fact most of them emigrated there at the same time as most of the Jews who founded Israel.

Edited by Ulysses G.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the honeymoon period is over for Palestine's UNESCO membership as within weeks they have cut funding to a Palestinian youth magazine for blatant anti-antisemitism. Actually maybe it's good in some ways that UNESCO recognize Palestine if it means they are held to some minimum standards of acceptable behaviour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/palestinianauthority/8975423/Unesco-cuts-funding-for-Palestinian-youth-magazine-over-Hitler-praise.html

"Membership allows a country to bring to the world that which it cherishes most - the wealth of its culture, the resonance of its dreams for mutual understanding," Bokova said, underlining that the Palestinian people, as all peoples, must be able to preserve their culture and heritage.

Unlike Mr. Bokova, I do not wish to see the culture of jihad and prejudice preserved, nor do I believe it is a heritage to be proud of. In respect to the resonance for mutual understanding, there is no resonance since there is no stated goal for mutual understanding: It is the arab way or no way.

If UNESCO was assisting in the development of great thinkers or artists or scientists, I could understand, but there do not appear to be any in the PLA territories. Sorry, if that is harsh, but if anyone can name a brilliant scientist that changed the world for the better to come out of that region, excluding the Israelis, in the past 100 years, please let me know.

Congratulations Palestine and UNESCO.

The usual suspects trashing anything Palestinian or Arab, and amounts to nothing more than rabid racial hatred.

Pretty mild compared to praising Hitler, I would say, wouldn't you agree?

Who is praising Hitler ????

No one, so why do you feel the need bring it up. ?

Why not take a festive break from the constant proslytising.

Happy new year.

The usual suspects trashing anything Palestinian or Arab, and amounts to nothing more than rabid racial hatred.

clap2.gif I see no evidence of trashing anything Palestinian or Arab. (BTW you are being redundant as Palestinians are Arab, they are one in the same.) The object of scorn was UNESCO's hypocritical stance and statement. There really isn't much to trash since UNESCO's done a right job of it. In respect to UNESCO's charter and stated goals, please show me where the Hamas ruled Gaza or Fatah PLA territory have respected the charter and stated goals. I really don't think you want to go there as the arabs are not compliant. giggle.gif

Happy new year.

Actually, if you ever bothered to read the link I posted (from a mainstream UK paper I might add) you would be aware that UNESCO cut the funding to a Palestinian youth magazine for a feature admiring Hitler. I guess you enablers need to be left as much in the dark as possible concerning your favoured group to stop your heads exploding.

Happy new year.

I believe the reference was in respect to a UNESCO and funded publication that featured the ode to Adolf.

Trust that answers your query. And a happy Christmas to you. I'm off in a bit to sing a Karaoke version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with some of the locals that took pity on me.

I think we will drop the discussion of the details of the magazine and the references to Hitler. Such a discussion is not likely to take us anywhere positive.

Have a nice Christmas, GK, and be sure and keep your vocal chords tuned up for those nice folks!

Unlike Mr. Bokova, I do not wish to see the culture of jihad and prejudice preserved, nor do I believe it is a heritage to be proud of. In respect to the resonance for mutual understanding, there is no resonance since there is no stated goal for mutual understanding: It is the arab way or no way.

If UNESCO was assisting in the development of great thinkers or artists or scientists, I could understand, but there do not appear to be any in the PLA territories. Sorry, if that is harsh, but if anyone can name a brilliant scientist that changed the world for the better to come out of that region, excluding the Israelis, in the past 100 years, please let me know.

Actually I'd seriously be interested in what Palestinian culture is being funded by UNESCO, I would assume Bethlehem would be a priority with it's famous church of the Nativity, though this shows considerable chutzpah considering Christians have been leaving in droves. In 1950 Bethlehem was 80% Christian, now it is less than 15% I think UNESCO should ask why, 'mutual understanding' indeed.

Edited by Steely Dan

Actually I'd seriously be interested in what Palestinian culture is being funded by UNESCO, I would assume Bethlehem would be a priority with it's famous church of the Nativity, though this shows considerable chutzpah considering Christians have been leaving in droves. In 1950 Bethlehem was 80% Christian, now it is less than 15% I think UNESCO should ask why, 'mutual understanding' indeed.

As always, there are two sides to every story, here's what the BBC has to say:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9667000/9667737.stm

There are still shepherds in Bethlehem 2000 years on from the nativity but as our West Bank correspondent Jon Donnison reports, Jewish settlement expansion there has made the life of the shepherd increasingly limited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16325524

Once predominantly Christian, two-thirds of Bethlehem's 50,000 residents are now Muslim.

Some say the economic restrictions imposed by Israel are the main reason behind the exodus of Christians from the West Bank; others cite persecution by militant Muslims.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is attending the celebrations.

He said: "I wish for the Palestinian people that next year will be the year of implementing peace in the occupied Palestinian lands."

Let’s hope his wish comes true.

He said: "I wish for the Palestinian people that next year will be the year of implementing peace in the occupied Palestinian lands."

If he signs a peace treaty and sticks to it, it will.

As always, there are two sides to every story, here's what the BBC has to say:

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9667737.stm

There are still shepherds in Bethlehem 2000 years on from the nativity but as our West Bank correspondent Jon Donnison reports, Jewish settlement expansion there has made the life of the shepherd increasingly limited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-16325524

Once predominantly Christian, two-thirds of Bethlehem's 50,000 residents are now Muslim.

Some say the economic restrictions imposed by Israel are the main reason behind the exodus of Christians from the West Bank; others cite persecution by militant Muslims.

Nice try, good old BBC, they of the independently commissioned Balen report to investigate their alledged anti-Israel bias; a report they then refused to make public and spent a heap of license payers money on court orders to keep it private.

The fact is that the Christian population of Israel increased 4 fold since 1948, whereas in every single Arab Country it decreased dramatically, and who can blame them with churches being burned, their women being kidnapped and every other aspect of Dhimmi status in Muslim lands making their lives hell.

http://www.jcrelations.net/Christians_in_the_Middle_East.608.0.html

We, the leaders of The Center for Jewish-Christian Understanding, are distressed over the decline of Christians throughout the Middle East. In the last 50 years, the Christian populations in the region have dropped significantly in every country except Israel. This trend has accelerated in the last 10 years.