Car Window Tinting

stefan2519

I know this has been stated on other threads but they all seem to turn into rants and a little hard to follow for informative purposes.jap.gif

It seems the basic consensus that any tint on the windscreen is reckless and dangerous, some state that 20% to 25% doesn't impair vision at night.

The Thai law used to state 40% is legal. Now the question, did the law state that 40% around the whole car is legal?

The Malaysian law states 30% is legal if I'm right, does that state 30% around the whole car is legal?

Who are the leaders in window tint suppliers and is there any pros or cons from supplier to supplier?

- 3M (I've seen the 3M name around for years on safety equipment, I think they're from Germany maybe the US)

- Lamina (From what I can find on-line they're from Germany)

- V-Kool (From what I can find on-line from the US as well)

- H-Kool (I can't seem to find anything on them, maybe a generic version of V-Kool?)

What are the pros & cons of reflective or even coloured films?

Rants beginrolleyes.gif

I have rented cars with the dark tint which looks reflective when viewed from the outside. Works great in the direct sun. At night you can not see anything but lights of other vehicles.

Pedestrians, motorsai without headlights are invisible.

Beware.

Took delivery of a Mazda2 yesterday with Meridium film. 60% on all windows, and 40% windshield.

any film on windshield reduces night time visibility, screen gets a glare. But for a local Phuket car, dont see me doing any 2000km trips in this one, I also have to consider the huge windshield and how long to cool down car after start up.

I wanted 20% for windshield, but no have

I have reflective tint's all round except the W/screen that only has the same tint 30cm from the top the set up work's fantastic. I can see everything. My thought's anyone that has above 20% is just asking for trouble. And yes I've tried 40/60% tint's rented car's, at night I had to drive in town with the window's open as I couldn't see a thing. I would like to ask why do peep's have dark tint's, it has little or no advantage's just disadvantage's. And on a W/screen any tint is in a word crazy. There is only one excuse for any high tint that I can see and that's on the rear door window's and that's if you have a baby chair, but to get round that you can have one of those clip on thing's Other than that none. Just think on this as we all know driving here at night is difficult at the best of time's what with M/C Car's going in all direction's lot's with no light's on and you wan't to impair your vision even more. Maybe there all film star's or think they are.

I have heard that Thai law specify 20% on the windshield, I don't know what is specified for other windows

Can someone confirm the legal limit please, I am not sure on the 20% limit and for which windows it applies to

As Katabeachbum says - Clearly, any tint on windshield reduce night time visibilty

I can't see that Thai nights are less dark than westerns nights and maximum legal tint in most western countries, decided based on security concerns, is 20% tint

• Like 1

I have heard that Thai law specify 20% on the windshield, I don't know what is specified for other windows

Can someone confirm the legal limit please, I am not sure on the 20% limit and for which windows it applies to

As Katabeachbum says - Clearly, any tint on windshield reduce night time visibilty

I can't see that Thai nights are less dark than westerns nights and maximum legal tint in most western countries, decided based on security concerns, is 20% tint

I nice piece of information there, so at least we know it's legal to put 20% on the windows in other countries. Thanks Mikey!

Do you know if that includes the front screen?

Edited by stefan2519

I have been stopped by cops in USA and they checked my t tinted windows with a tool. Told me I m OK because tint must be light in front.

What is dangerous in Thailand from my bike I can not see if driver has see me . For this I can simply not trust a car driver because he may look somewhere else

I hope you understand

sent from tapatalk :-)

Johnson , ive just been informed do a Clear Tint Heat Deflecting Film. Cant see the Movie Stars here rushing to buy it. Apart from Daytime use its all dangerous. coffee1.giflicklips.gif

Agree. :)

That's the stuff I've got I'm not sure but it's no more than 5% if that, had/have it on both car's, does it work you bet. I have also got xenon light's 6 of the bugger's the two together are the bizz. With regard to the W/screen my tint is 30cm from the top but that's because it's just above my eye line, on different car's it could be more or less.

Matt Damon

Edited by fredob43

All my cars have 60% on the sides and back, anything less and you're sure going to know it in the Thai sun...

Also, all have 40% on the front, so you feel it bit during the day - but I always upgrade headlights to around 6-12x OEM brightness with 4x high-power HID Xenon projectors:

xenonfoglight5.jpg

xenonfoglight6.jpg

xenonfoglight7.jpg

Would not suggest 40% front without very good headlamps though, or if your vision ain't what it used to be...

Have tried all brands, now buy only 3M (reflective)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

most countries do not accept even 20% on windshield and front sidewindows. eyecontact with driver and photobox identifying drivers are two reasons.

order privacy glass from any maker, you wont get it on windshield and side front windows. neither DOT or E approved

for some reason Thailand dropped every tint rule in 2006 as I recall, and it is now a free country, on window tinting :)

Would not suggest 40% front without very good headlamps though, or if your vision ain't what it used to be...

None of us have nightvision what it used to be. A 40 yo has 50% of the nightvision of a 18 yo. Also need longer time to regain nightvision after beeing blinded.

Fortunately it can partly be compensated by experience and darkdriving techniques B)

Where to focus and what to look for is what its all about

None of us have nightvision what it used to be. A 40 yo has 50% of the nightvision of a 18 yo. Also need longer time to regain nightvision after beeing blinded.

Fortunately it can partly be compensated by experience and darkdriving techniques B)

Where to focus and what to look for is what its all about

Well, not yet 40 - will tell how I go when I get there though ;)

And yes, experience, an ability to read the road in the dark, and headlamps like frikken lasers all help :)

All my cars have 60% on the sides and back, anything less and you're sure going to know it in the Thai sun...

Also, all have 40% on the front, so you feel it bit during the day - but I always upgrade headlights to around 6-12x OEM brightness with 4x high-power HID Xenon projectors:

xenonfoglight5.jpg

xenonfoglight6.jpg

xenonfoglight7.jpg

Have tried all brands, now buy only 3M (reflective)

As I have said I have reflective even in bright hot sun put your hand on the inside of the glass and it's cool so why do you need 40/60% tint.

most countries do not accept even 20% on windshield and front sidewindows. eyecontact with driver and photobox identifying drivers are two reasons.

order privacy glass from any maker, you wont get it on windshield and side front windows. neither DOT or E approved

for some reason Thailand dropped every tint rule in 2006 as I recall, and it is now a free country, on window tinting :)

Good day time but not safe night time, I am happy I have 20% on my windscreen

I can tell you guys; You won't believe how your night vision gets reduced between 40 and 50 before you experience it. You reach 40 and notice no difference, then at 50 you get disappointed with your own body

Bad news in my eyes :)

As I have said I have reflective even in bright hot sun put your hand on the inside of the glass and it's cool so why do you need 40/60% tint.

Ar you sure you're in the same country as us? LOL! :D

I've done side by side comparisons (same model car, same sun exposure, different tint) and the difference is night and day -there's just no if''s or but's about it.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I can tell you guys; You won't believe how your night vision gets reduced between 40 and 50 before you experience it. You reach 40 and notice no difference, then at 50 you get disappointed with your own body

Sounds like something to look forward to - thanks Mikey! :annoyed:

Good thing I don't keep cars very long - so I guess I'll just reduce tint levels over the next 12 years - 10% per car and I'll be tint-free (but well cooked) by the time I'm 50 ;)

Either that or I find a way to make even brighter headlamps ;)

Past five years I have noticed the hotshots in fancy cars prefere clear film. Still reflects heat and UV, but they can bee seen in their silly priced cars.

Anyone have experience with it?

Yep, tried it on the Cayenne, for a cool 18K Baht.

Now replaced with 3M (half the price) because it doesnt' work anything near the same.

Good thing I don't keep cars very long - so I guess I'll just reduce tint levels over the next 12 years - 10% per car and I'll be tint-free (but well cooked) by the time I'm 50 ;)

BUT, brighter head lamps point ahead, do not help with side vision when pulling out of a side road. :huh:

BUT, brighter head lamps point ahead, do not help with side vision when pulling out of a side road. :huh:

My projectors have a 160 degree spread :)

Past five years I have noticed the hotshots in fancy cars prefere clear film. Still reflects heat and UV, but they can bee seen in their silly priced cars.

Anyone have experience with it?

Yep, tried it on the Cayenne, for a cool 18K Baht.

Now replaced with 3M (half the price) because it doesnt' work anything near the same.

thanks, you just supported my choice of 40% windscreen for a mostly low speed Phuket car :)

and Cayenne Hybrid is a fancy car not carrying silly price in TH due to its lack of excicetax :D

had a tuna with 40% black sidewindows, and couldnt see a shit in the exterior mirrors when dark and raining, so its not only the %, it is also the quality of film B)

When it Hot, i sit on the Beach or Swim. Must get some tints so i can sit in the Car all Day. Naahh just an excuse to look flashy 80% of the time. Seen em in the Shop looking through the Colours like me Old Gran picking Wallpaper for the Lounge. cheesy.gif

Not al of us are retirees with nothing to do all day 'star :(

Some of us work all day, and drive 600-1000KM/day doing so ;)

When it Hot, i sit on the Beach or Swim. Must get some tints so i can sit in the Car all Day. Naahh just an excuse to look flashy 80% of the time. Seen em in the Shop looking through the Colours like me Old Gran picking Wallpaper for the Lounge. cheesy.gif

Not al of us are retirees with nothing to do all day 'star :(

Some of us work all day, and drive 600-1000KM/day doing so ;)

Cheeky Sod , so do i , thats why my ride aint got no Tints, just Air and Ray Ban Copies. I want to get to retirement.biggrin.gif.

The first car I bought here had 'star-cool' or 'hi-cool' film on the windows (none on the front), after about 1 year it started to warp and bubble - honestly it was like being on acid or looking in some kind of circus type mirror. The missus looked ok through it mind you and I saved money on beer goggles :)

I currently have Lamina 60/40% and it seemed dark at first but i'm used to it now. Totally agree about upgrading the headlights too. One thing that got on my nerves at first though was that it had the brand stamped everywhere on it (middle of windshield etc).