Police And Law Enforcement

pauljones

A Thai lady friend was relating her experiences with the police.

She is from a very poor family and was selling DVD copies on the street.

Busted.

The penalty?

30,000THB or 5,000THB and sex.

The lovely young lady has now resorted to selling her body in a beer bar to survive.

O yea. The bar pays the police a fee & has been busted by the music police too.

Just outside the bar there are thugs running jet skis, robbing people, assaulting and now taking hostages.

The police don't seem to notice.....

^^^^ Of course they notice, they probably get a kick back from those scams as well.

When the police get such low pay and high ranking police officers in positions of power this sortt of thing will continue.

When I first came to Thailand I was advised, by a long term ex-pat, that if I ever had a problem don't bother going to the police as they are behind most crimes and scams. Nothing I have seen over the years causes me to doubt this advice.

I see big signs outside Micky D's all around Pattaya looking for staff. Why doesn't your friend stop selling illegal merchandise, get off the game, and try a legitimate job for a living instead...too lazy?

I tend to agree here. She was doing something illegal, got busted. The offer from the police 30k or 5k plus sex is certainly despicable but since Thais are aware of how things go in Thailand she took the risk when entering the business. And yes, there are low-level jobs around. Low pay, hard work but 100% legal.

I don't doubt your friends story but she is an admitted sex worker and can now justify her actions by blaming others. I am not saying it didn't happen thay way but most girls have an excuse for getting in the business and many have little choice due to their situation or poverty. Others seem to like the lifestyle and don't like working in the fields for 12 hours a day for 200 baht. I say never judge a person until you've walked in their shoes.

This wouldn't be the first time us farangs heard a lie from a bargirl and we all know none of us farangs would tell a whopper to a bargirl! :whistling:

Police corruption at this point is part of the price of doing business in Thailand, I hope it changes. Corruption also runs deep in many areas including education, judical, real estate, gov't agencies, political etc. In our home countries it has not spread out to the common people and seems reserved only for CEOs and politicians!

Wifey was listening to Thai TV a few days ago. Seems one of the electronics manufacturers is moving up towards Lamphang from Ayutthaya. They are looking for 500 workers and lamenting at how hard it is to find them. Guess the ones working there now don't want to move.

My neighbor runs a factory near here...says they have big problems getting workers. You can make up to 10k/month or so with overtime.

So, other options are available.

So can you send your friends name and number to the OP to try and save this poor girls soul....

Wifey was listening to Thai TV a few days ago. Seems one of the electronics manufacturers is moving up towards Lamphang from Ayutthaya. They are looking for 500 workers and lamenting at how hard it is to find them. Guess the ones working there now don't want to move.

My neighbor runs a factory near here...says they have big problems getting workers. You can make up to 10k/month or so with overtime.

So can you send your friends name and number to the OP to try and save this poor girls soul....

She's already made her decision...alternatives abound here in Thailand if your willing to search them out.

I don't doubt your friends story but she is an admitted sex worker and can now justify her actions by blaming others. I am not saying it didn't happen thay way but most girls have an excuse for getting in the business and many have little choice due to their situation or poverty. Others seem to like the lifestyle and don't like working in the fields for 12 hours a day for 200 baht. I say never judge a person until you've walked in their shoes.

This wouldn't be the first time us farangs heard a lie from a bargirl and we all know none of us farangs would tell a whopper to a bargirl! :whistling:

Police corruption at this point is part of the price of doing business in Thailand, I hope it changes. Corruption also runs deep in many areas including education, judical, real estate, gov't agencies, political etc. In our home countries it has not spread out to the common people and seems reserved only for CEOs and politicians!

just to put some record straight: Even though prostitution is illegal in Thailand I do not have any disrespect to the girls in the trade. Rather the opposite.

It is also possible to do business in Thailand without bribing anyone. I have done that foe the past 15 years. Needless to say, I do not engage in any illegal or even fishy businesses.

just to put some record straight: Even though prostitution is illegal in Thailand I do not have any disrespect to the girls in the trade. Rather the opposite.

It is also possible to do business in Thailand without bribing anyone. I have done that foe the past 15 years. Needless to say, I do not engage in any illegal or even fishy businesses.

If you have never been asked for additional money after being in business for 15 years you are indeed fortunate or possibly run a low key business or home based business. Friends that have bars pay, hotels pay, renting business space USUALLY involves key money etc. Even I have had to make donations (tea money) occasionally to the BIB so I think I can say it is part of the culture here and I am not doing anything "fishy" here either.

I do agree with your comment on women in the business.

As a side note, it sometimes is harder then one thinks to get a normal job.

For example, both 7/11 and MickyD require a Mathayom 6 degree (what we would call high school, so school till 18 y old).

Lots of girls around not having that, and for them normal (legal) paid jobs can be very hard to find...

And as another side note, the biggest influence often is the family back home demanding monthly stipends.

Bit hard to send 5K Baht/month home on an 8K Baht "decent job" salary!

Happens less nowadays compared to when I moved here almost 19 years ago, but still much more then it should...

well if its one less pain in the ass tapping and pulling the shirt to sell illegal goods, no sympathy. gone from one illegal job to another. 100s of thousounds of young girls working around Pattaya in Rayong and Si Racha. 12 hour shifts on production lines repetative work who have morals and pride in themselves. the Americans are putting huge pressure on the illegal goods trade and threaten to with hold aid if its not sorted. her choice to go and sell her body.

I see big signs outside Micky D's all around Pattaya looking for staff. Why doesn't your friend stop selling illegal merchandise, get off the game, and try a legitimate job for a living instead...too lazy?

Try living on 6,000THB a month and then let some cop stick his pecker up your as* when you decide to stop living in poverty and sell some copy CDs.

There are some real smug jerks around here.

Try living on 6,000THB a month and then let some cop stick his pecker up your as* when you decide to stop living in poverty and sell some copy CDs.

Yep.

As a major cultural influence once (allegedly) said..

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

If you have never been asked for additional money after being in business for 15 years you are indeed fortunate or possibly run a low key business or home based business. Friends that have bars pay, hotels pay, renting business space USUALLY involves key money etc. Even I have had to make donations (tea money) occasionally to the BIB so I think I can say it is part of the culture here and I am not doing anything "fishy" here either.

I am in the freight business. I admit, my customers occasionally bribe customs, however, we do advise against it. In most cases, something with the paperwork was not in order and the option is either a lengthy amendment/inspection process or a donation to the customs' widow and orphans charity.

Also not uncommon in our industry is giving kick-backs to the purchasing staff at your customer. We never did this, there are enough other companies around to do business with.

Traffic Cop: Never got a Baht out of me. Either a ticket or nothing. in 90% of the cases they were too lazy to issue a ticket.

...shall I continue?

Key money: Just walk away from it. I rent my office from a foreigner in a prime location for a reasonable price.

Yep.

You both, and others, can try to normalize prostitution all you want, and I have no moral opposition to sex work if it is legal and regulated for both the sellers and buyers, but just don't pretty it up in a country where it is illegal and then add that the people engaged in it have no other options. The fact of the matter is that Thailand suffers from a labor shortage in many industry sectors so there is plenty of work for people who want it. Sex work is also an option, like it is an any country, and it is usually much higher paying that other unskilled labour, but it comes with its own set of problems.

And just keep in mind that Pattaya is not Thailand and that 99% of the people in Thailand do not work in the sex industry.

I am in the freight business. I admit, my customers occasionally bribe customs, however, we do advise against it. In most cases, something with the paperwork was not in order and the option is either a lengthy amendment/inspection process or a donation to the customs' widow and orphans charity.

Also not uncommon in our industry is giving kick-backs to the purchasing staff at your customer. We never did this, there are enough other companies around to do business with.

Traffic Cop: Never got a Baht out of me. Either a ticket or nothing. in 90% of the cases they were too lazy to issue a ticket.

...shall I continue?

Key money: Just walk away from it. I rent my office from a foreigner in a prime location for a reasonable price.

If a traffic cop in Thailand never got a Baht out of you then you are either telling a porky or you do not drive here much.

Yep.

Thank you.

What's the penalty for selling bogus CDs I wonder?

6 months salary or a rape?

That's my point.

Edited by pauljones

...shall I continue?

If a traffic cop in Thailand never got a Baht out of you then you are either telling a porky or you do not drive here much.

If Raro says it's so, then I believe him. He's a very honest person...and drives EXTENSIVELY around the Kingdom. At great speeds from what I've been told. :whistling:

Yep.

Thank you.

What's the penalty for selling bogus CDs I wonder?

6 months salary or a rape?

That's my point.

unlesss you were there and heard it with you own ears then you do not know what the penalty was. She was offered according to her story options so the sex would have been with consent and therfore not rape. and yes many people here live on those salaries and dont turn to prostitution. she was knowingly committing a crime, pestering the hell out of all farnags as well. if you cant do the time dont do the crime.

...shall I continue?

This has not been my experience or any of my friends that drive around Thailand.

When I read the Bangkok Nation Newspaper I come across many stories about the cost of doing business in the trucking industry, there are many articles discussed on the THAI VISA News forum and they definitely indicate there is corruption in this area. 3000 - 4000 baht for sticker bribes in 30 percent of the cases investigated seems serious to me and this was a report from the agency representing the transport industry.

Are you sure these "additional costs" are not already factored into the pricing which you or your customer pay regardless?

Donation to the customs widow or orphan pension - that's a good one :whistling: .

Edited by gerry53

...shall I continue?

This has not been my experience or any of my friends that drive around Thailand.

When I read the Bangkok Nation Newspaper I come across many stories about the cost of doing business in the trucking industry, there are many articles discussed on the THAI VISA News forum and they definitely indicate there is corruption in this area. 3000 - 4000 baht for sticker bribes in 30 percent of the cases investigated seems serious to me and this was a report from the agency representing the transport industry.

Are you sure these "additional costs" are not already factored into the pricing which you or your customer pay regardless?

Donation to the customs widow or orphan pension - that's a good one :whistling: .

We are a freight forwarder, not a trucker. What the truckers do, is their business.

And yes, I clock about 30 to 40,000 km a year. And yes, I get stopped here and there. I just totally ignore all those attempts of asking for a bribe and keep asking for a ticket. In 90% of all cases they let you go.

We are a freight forwarder, not a trucker. What the truckers do, is their business.

And yes, I clock about 30 to 40,000 km a year. And yes, I get stopped here and there. I just totally ignore all those attempts of asking for a bribe and keep asking for a ticket. In 90% of all cases they let you go.

Such a hypocrite. Come on, 90% they let you go ... Yeah what about the other 10%?

Do not bother. you have already contradicted yourself.... You pay like everyone else.

I can well believe the cops asking your friend for 30,000 to make the problem go away, but a reduction of 25,000 in return for sex sounds a bit far fetched,it sounds quite likely that your friend might have exaggerated things a little but then again i wouldn't totally dismiss anything that i was told that the BiB had done such is their reputation