Internet Explorer 9

Semper

I have two laptops one with IE9 and after experience one remains at IE8. Main problem is when I go to read an online document IE9 will not open the document and crashes/restarts explorer. Exactly the same site and no problems with Firefox or IE8. I have had a quick look at going back to IE8. IE9 will also on occasion just freeze, then start again. Had no problems before the upgrade with this.

So basically my experiences with IE9 are negative, so I would not update.

Cheers

IE9 renders very similar to other browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome etc..) so you are more likely to see websites they way they are supposed to look.

IE8 has some weird rending bugs, and CSS3 doesn't work much, so you may end up seeing a crap version websites.

Note that i wouldn't use either as my primary browser.

Edited by dave111223

I have a 5 year old laptop running Win7, and IE9 works just fine on it. Been using IE9 for several months with no problems. Upgrading from IE8 to IE9 was fast and smooth. Your results may vary.

Edited by Pib

Main problem is when I go to read an online document IE9 will not open the document and crashes/restarts explorer.

If by "online document" you mean a pdf file, the problem is probably down to Acrobat reader rather than IE9. Try uninstalling Acrobat and reinstalling the latest version.

If you happen to have 64 bit Windows and you use 64 bit IE9 it can cause some headaches. I believe the 64 bit Flashplayer was recently released which helped some things. MS Silverlight for 64 bit is still not available as far as I know.

I have been using IE 9 in both 32 and 64 bit versions for some time and I like it.

By the way, Windows 8 has a newer IE than version 9 available. The newer IE will only work if you have the Windows 8 Preview installed.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

You should make the change away from microSloth and change to FireFox. Many add-ons, much nicer.

You may want to look into IE and Chrome now, Firefox seems to be falling behind nowadays. Some websites may not appear the same on FF, as they would on Chrome and IE.

FF has been crashing alot for me lately when i have multiple tabs open, so i made the switch to Chrome.

<br />
<br />You should make the change away from microSloth and change to FireFox.  Many add-ons, much nicer.<br />
<br /><br />You may want to look into IE and Chrome now, Firefox seems to be falling behind nowadays. Some websites may not appear the same on FF, as they would on Chrome and IE.<br /><br />FF has been crashing alot for me lately when i have multiple tabs open, so i made the switch to Chrome.<br /><br /><br />

? How many tabs? I have 40 plus tabs open many times, no problem, 8gb ram FF v7 I have opened IE about 2-3 times a year for the rare site that has problems with FF. v8 is out and v9beta is out I usually wait a while before upgrading, till some add-on makers update as well.

Main problem is when I go to read an online document IE9 will not open the document and crashes/restarts explorer.

If by "online document" you mean a pdf file, the problem is probably down to Acrobat reader rather than IE9. Try uninstalling Acrobat and reinstalling the latest version.

Not PDF, the problem file is HTML, and every time it does it there is a error report file deposited on the desktop. I am using my work laptop now (IE8) and that has no problems either. So 2 x IE8 no problems, 1 x IE9 has problems with these files and freezing up. Before upgrade to IE9 no problems. Rest of the software on the IE9 laptop has no problems, so sort of points directly to IE9. As such would I upgrade again, no thanks.

Cheers

Not PDF, the problem file is HTML, and every time it does it there is a error report file deposited on the desktop.

You dont "read an online HTML document" in a browser: you display a page.

There is probably something dodgy about the code of the file in question, or maybe you have some dodgy add-ins installed?

Another viable browser option is Opera. I've used it for years with no problems.

In the past, the biggest complaint against it from Firefox users seemed to be the lack of extensions/plug-ins. But a few versions ago, Opera began offering them, as well.

Opera is touted as being a "fast" browser, and for sure, reloading previously viewed pages (from the current session) is almost instantaneous -- it must maintain large cache files.

I particularly like the easy ability to open new tabs either in the background or foreground, one thing Chrome sorely lacks. At least, the only way I can find to open a link in a new tab in Chrome is in the background.

You should make the change away from microSloth and change to FireFox. Many add-ons, much nicer.

You may want to look into IE and Chrome now, Firefox seems to be falling behind nowadays. Some websites may not appear the same on FF, as they would on Chrome and IE.

FF has been crashing alot for me lately when i have multiple tabs open, so i made the switch to Chrome.

This is drifting a bit off-topic, but if you are considering Chrome, I recommend that you have a look to SRware Iron first. It's a version of Chrome rebuilt from the public sources with all the Google stuff that is a privacy concern removed. I've been using it for ages now and I'm really happy with it.

SRware Iron download link