An Amusing Incident

chonabot

When I met my husband he ironed, cooked, cleaned & generally looked after himself. I now do all the ironing & cleaning but he still cooks & when we had our son he was quite able to change nappies, bathe & do all the bottle cleaning & feeding without my supervision. Called being a grown up isn't it?

Boo very well put-it's not a yours and mine life but whatever suits the situation-we share but never ever discuss who should do what "we don't need to" and it works well for us.

Called as you say "growing up" or in my mind "maturing with wisdom" and with hindsight how sweet life could have been had I been born with the inbuilt maturity I know posses. :jap:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

men ironing? it's against nature

I'll go with that.

But I will put clothes in the W/M + hang them out to dry and bring them in when dry. We normally do the food shopping together, then I do the cooking. Because she's at work. As for the cleaning, about 50/50, then I do love her long time. :lol:

jb1

I remember years ago when I first stayed at my wife to be's house a small crowd of the neighbouring ladies gathered at the door to watch me ironing my own shirts. They were gobsmacked!

Snap - maybe that's why I have been relocated to the back of the house today :(

Yep, your wife is losing face.. Silly I know, but TiT..

When I'm in Thailand I always busy myself around the house, picking up litter, sweeping the driveway etc.

On at least two occasions, mothers have passed by the house with their small (male) children in tow, they stopped, smiled at me and made sure their boys had a good look at a man taking care of his house.

When my wife lived at her sister's house, she did the whole family's washing every day. Her two nephews are 19 and 21. I asked them why they didn't do their own washing (I've done mine since I was about 12 years old).

Oh how they laughed!

After two days of their washing being left in their rooms, it turns out that it wasn't so funny!

I've always looked after myself, it's something that I regard as normal. Why should family members be treated like servants?

When my wife visited me here in London, we shared all the jobs around the house, why would it be any different? Why play the 'gender role game' ?

I have a male friend here who struggles to use a microwave! If his girlfriend isn't around, he eats out. I couldn't live with that level of dependency on another person just for the basics in life, it seems weird to me.

When I lived in a village in Korat. It was quite normal to see girls, men + young men do their own washing and by hand.

jb1

I am also ex military (Royal Air Force).

I do the laundry for my wife, son and me. No Problem, just bung it in the automatic washing machine and hang it up to dry when it's ready.

I only iron my sons school clothes as out here in the sticks I don't need freshly ironed clothes every day.

I make my own breakfast, fresh sliced melon and a banana plus toast, generally make my own lunch but my wife cooks dinner because we generally eat at different times.

I also make my own bread and bacon and next year I want to more of ghat stuff.

My wife goes to the market 3 times a week but I generally go once a month to BigC and Makro for the bulk items.

I try to maintain the outside of the house and land while she does the inside.

It has been something we have been doing for years an our son is being slowly trained the same way. That way to look after he will be able to look after himself should anything happen to us or if he works away in the future.

I looked after myself in while working offshore and have no doubt I will be doing it until I am unable to do so any more.

I think this is perfectly normal behavior and I find it a little strange that men still expect to be looked after and coddled in the 21st century.

Alternatively, the locals here are always horrified when I (as a female) do any heavy lifting work (bags of soil etc.).

They're also amused when they see me digging in the garden.

To look on the bright side, I've found that they also show me more respect once they realise I'm happy to 'get my hands dirty' and 'get stuck in'!

men ironing? it's against nature

I'll go with that.

But I will put clothes in the W/M + hang them out to dry and bring them in when dry. We normally do the food shopping together, then I do the cooking. Because she's at work. As for the cleaning, about 50/50, then I do love her long time. :lol:

jb1

Second to all the above, will wash for sex but I draw the line at ironing :D . I will say though, all my missus friends envy her for all the things I do and can do around the house be it cleaning, repairs, painting, car repairs, appliance repairs the list is really endless and she loves it so makes me happy too :) .. Cleaning done right is not as easy as some would think, proper chems to use to get the right result more quickly and easily without damage to the item being cleaned etc..

Cleaning the house after the floods we have wall paper and 2 different textures and one you can scrub but the other which is a pattern you can't. I scrubbed the water stain off the durable paper using Simple Green (the absolute best) and just sprayed a bleach solution on both to fade the water stain and now there's no sign of any water stain. I had to gradually increase the mixture content beginning with a more watered down solution but eventually it's all back to normal (no stains) while everyone else is repainting.

Recently the floods have actually garnered me even more respect from the locals then I had before as I was in and out through high water and toughed it out beside my neighbors, walking, rowing, trucking, and boating just as they did instead of simply evacuating for the duration. I was in cleaning as soon as the water began to recede and the house floor appeared & that made the job soooo much easier and more effective as the stains and debris never had time to dry & set in, now those who returned from evacuating wondered why we haven't been cleaning like they have to.

Overall it was/is a community effort to help each other out and as an upside the community has come together more as a result and as the clean up continues there is a lot of new paint and cleaned houses then before, soon to include ours too..

I've always said the same thing about hurricanes back home, they have a necessary up side and that's to generate a sense of community to survive the disaster and then a clean up effort is motivated which sparks the economy, generates jobs and eventually beautifies the area to come back stronger & closer then previously. It's hard to see at the moment of tragedy but there up sides once you take the time to notice them..

Out of that effort though there are few if any who look and laugh or judge as the OP has mentioned all that has to be put aside, first to survive and now to recover..

Alternatively, the locals here are always horrified when I (as a female) do any heavy lifting work (bags of soil etc.).

They're also amused when they see me digging in the garden.

To look on the bright side, I've found that they also show me more respect once they realise I'm happy to 'get my hands dirty' and 'get stuck in'!

Yep, that's exactly my impression..

They're shocked and pleased to see a farang that's not coddled or afraid to get their hands dirty..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I was at the Wifes Uncles house last year , His Daughter had just had a baby, a girl . i picked the baby up, it was only a few days old, The Looks of amazement i got from the Thai Lady's, and Some of the men which where sat around in the garden, They seemed to think that a male should not and did not know how how to take care of young baby's,

JurgenG

Posted Today, 09:59

Boo, on Yesterday, 18:34 , said:

When I met my husband he ironed, cooked, cleaned & generally looked after himself. I now do all the ironing & cleaning but he still cooks & when we had our son he was quite able to change nappies, bathe & do all the bottle cleaning & feeding without my supervision. Called being a grown up isn't it?

Without supervision ? I really like these anonymous forum where people are allowed to brag without reserve .

Even if it's true (and I honestly really doubt it) never say that in front of his friends, it's a sure way to embarass him. My friends caught me one time ironing my shirt in my pyjama, they called me Mrs Doubtfire for more than a month. And the jokes ... Such an humiliating experience, never again !

Are you calling me a liar?

As neither of us had a child before, we both learned how to look after our son together. Thankfully I married a man, not some pathetic creature who was concerned more with his own ego rather than spend time bonding with his son or working alongside his wife to support his family.

And as for his mates taking the piss out of him, #1) his mates all take an active role in their children's lives, so don't think there is anything strange about taking care of family. #2) even if they did take the piss, he wouldn't give a shit, like I said, he's a man & knows what is important. ;)

As a single male, and happily so, such domestic pressures as ironing have to be contended with.

Who irons for the single Thai male? I'll bet he does.

Where do ladyboys come into this? Is it considered normal or not for them to do their own ironing?

The only problem I have is with shirts. My efforts are abysmal, despite years of trying.

If I wear a shirt under a jacket I am prone to just ironing the front bit that can be seen. Clever aye?

Sometimes, when on the booze, I resort to the Johny Cash tactic ("Sunday Morning Coming Round") and select "my cleanest dirty shirt" from the laundry basket.

P.S. I hoover as well (once a month.)

I worked with a bloke who wore a jumper over his work shirt even in summer so he would only have to iron the collar :) & I'll sometimes iron the front of a blouse only if I am wearing a jacket all day :D makes sense to me.

I worked with a bloke who wore a jumper over his work shirt even in summer so he would only have to iron the collar :) & I'll sometimes iron the front of a blouse only if I am wearing a jacket all day :D makes sense to me.

When I was young at an establishment where you were required to dress "Jacket & Tie" for evening meal it was fairly common practice for the senior intake "cock of the hoops" to wear a cut down shirt under the double breaster.

(cut down meant collar and front)which is what could be seen it made for easy washing & ironing and considered as a perk earned for senior year. :ermm:

Edited by mijan24

I do the laundry for my wife, son and me. No Problem, just bung it in the automatic washing machine and hang it up to dry when it's ready.

I only iron my sons school clothes as out here in the sticks I don't need freshly ironed clothes every day.

I make my own breakfast, fresh sliced melon and a banana plus toast, generally make my own lunch but my wife cooks dinner because we generally eat at different times.

I assume you are doing this because your wife is working and you are retired.

If not, I'd take a long hard look at why she lets you do this.

I haven't ironed or washed any clothes in 20 years of marriage. I still get my breakfast made and brought to me in bed.

I haven't ironed or washed any clothes in 20 years of marriage. I still get my breakfast made and brought to me in bed.

I've pmd you my mate's number for your wife - she needs an escape route :)

I remember years ago when I first stayed at my wife to be's house a small crowd of the neighbouring ladies gathered at the door to watch me ironing my own shirts. They were gobsmacked!

Could be two points here:

1) Seeing a farng actually ironing.

2) Realizing that the farang actually knew how to iron.

Could be two points here:

1) Seeing a farng actually ironing.

2) Realizing that the farang actually knew how to iron.

3) Having a break from their own ironing

reminds me of when my first kid was borm and I had an audience of women watch me clean his bum and change his nappy. They were amazed when my wife told them that YES she actually left me on my own with the baby and he hadn't died. Kids stuff I do , but ironing ? Come on mate, that is what women are for , and the cooking cleaning etc :whistling:

hey chon...welcome back!

yeah,...me too, I have no probs looking after the kids, changing nappies and cleaning up shit, feeding them, etc which my wife didn't realize until we moved for good to our place in Thailand after 3 years of marriage together in Abu Dhabi; she was pleasantly surprised...me easily handling infants that her brothers wouldn't go near...loadsa adulation from the thai wimminfolk

I'll iron a shirt if I haveta but anyone who chooses to wear clothing that requires ironing gets what they deserve...<_<

washed and folded is all that I request of the laundry lady :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

reminds me of when my first kid was borm and I had an audience of women watch me clean his bum and change his nappy. They were amazed when my wife told them that YES she actually left me on my own with the baby and he hadn't died. Kids stuff I do , but ironing ? Come on mate, that is what women are for , and the cooking cleaning etc :whistling:

yeah,...me too, I have no probs looking after the kids, changing nappies and cleaning up shit, feeding them, etc which my wife didn't realize until we moved for good to our place in Thailand after 3 years of marriage together in Abu Dhabi; she was pleasantly surprised...me easily handling infants that her brothers wouldn't go near...loadsa adulation from the thai wimminfolk

I'll iron a shirt if I haveta but anyone who chooses to wear clothing that requires ironing gets what they deserve...<_<

Yo Tutsi - Que passe hombre?

;)

I know lots of men who iron

And / or cook

Less common in Asia perhaps

But a normal thing in the west. No?

Yes.........but not every guy can do it.

In my experience women find it very attractive when they meet a man that can look after himself, that can cook, iron, clean etc. When they visit his home there is nothing more attractive ( or sometimes disconcerting ) for a lady than to find out that the new boyfriend not only has a tidy house, but also a beautifully decorated and tastefully furnished place.

Why disconcerting? Well a lot of ladies look at us men as poor wee souls that can't look after ourselves and they want to mother hen us........it's not so easy to do when the boyfriend is a better cook, equally or more domesticated and has an eye for furniture.

It drove several of my exes daft :D

However I'm paying for it now because my Thail girlfriend is the least domesticated woman I have ever dated, she actually pays her mother to do all the housework and cleaning for her. :o

;)

say, bro...I patched my greeting in to the previous post...I'm doin' OK fer an' old married man...you sound like you're in good form and again, WELCOME BACK...

;)

say, bro...I patched my greeting in to the previous post...I'm doin' OK fer an' old married man...you sound like you're in good form and again, WELCOME BACK...

Shit I missed it - Cheers ;)

Firstly, welcome back Chon, you've been missed.

I have had an unfortunate experience with my wife delegating ironing duties to the maid.

She forgot to tell her that football shirts have to be ironed inside out (but in reality they don't need to be ironed at all!! ...so most of the sponser's names on the front peeled off, (well half peeled off), so Reading now appear to we sponsored by "Wirse" instead of Waitrose and half of those remainingletters are missing or half peeled off , so I have a lot of shirts that are very useful for doing painting jobs around the house that cost 40 quid :D

But I'll give our maid her due...if I have occasion to wear a pair of socks, they get ironed alond with everything else

• Like 1

Firstly, welcome back Chon, you've been missed.

I have had an unfortunate experience with my wife delegating ironing duties to the maid.

She forgot to tell her that football shirts have to be ironed inside out (but in reality they don't need to be ironed at all!! ...so most of the sponser's names on the front peeled off, (well half peeled off), so Reading now appear to we sponsored by "Wirse" instead of Waitrose and half of those remainingletters are missing or half peeled off , so I have a lot of shirts that are very useful for doing painting jobs around the house that cost 40 quid :D

But I'll give our maid her due...if I have occasion to wear a pair of socks, they get ironed alond with everything else

Ouch mate :(

I have a few Led Zep Tour T shirts from the 70's - if one of those got the 'wirse' treatment..well you woulod hear about it on CNN :lol:

• 1 year later...

I've pmd you my mate's number for your wife - she needs an escape route

I really seem to have touched a nerve with the OP.

For your own good son, listen to advice from us who have lived here decades.

Just because the man sometimes does the ironing in the West is no justification for your wife having a laugh at you here.

Would you let your wife work on a building site.in the UK? Why not? They do in her village in Thailand.

What would you think of a farang husband who allowed this?

There is no difference to a country Thai girl allowing her farang husband to do the ironing.

This kind of relationship never lasts unless the farang husband cannot be let go for financial reasons ie the Thai woman is too old to fo what she did before or find another similar farang husband.

My mum taught me to iron my t-shirts when I was about 6 or 7. "A game" she said. "It'll be fun" she said . . .

My father taught me to iron shirt-shirts with military precision when I was about 11. This time it weren't no game.

My apprenticeship in ironing became a male-bonding thing where I actually derived a great deal of satisfaction in getting that crease just-so, at just the right moment, when the starch has had a little bit of time to dry to just the right level of dampness, all with the greatest economy of movement etc. I get a similar feeling when I tighten up screws and try to get them to match both in tightness and the way they face.

Now I can barely be arsed unless some special event or mood brings back that primal 'donning my armour / preparing for the hunt' type feeling.

Edited by Trembly

You have opened a two year old thread to settle a two year old score for a bloke who has to leave Thailand because of his aging family.

How do people dig up these old threads or even remember them?.