Diet Cola

Gonzo the Face

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this problem is over since Diet Coke is cropping back up all over the place now. However, I just got back from Sukhothai where Diet Coke, Coke Zero or Pepsi Max were all very nearly impossible to find!! Just a warning guys if you are travelling to other provinces, it might be worth taking a supply.

Cheers

Dee

Not everyone likes Diet Coke....

It's what the whole thread is about, isn't it?!?

Makro Hang Dong yesterday had plenty of choice for Diet/zero coke etc.

The latest casualty is Tonic Water, can't find it anywhere (including the Mom and Pop stores in Santitham) sad.png

Makro, Hang Dong Rd has had a delivery of Schweppes Tonic. I bought 3 cases. there seemed to be plenty left.

• Like 1

Makro Hang Dong yesterday had plenty of choice for Diet/zero coke etc.

The latest casualty is Tonic Water, can't find it anywhere (including the Mom and Pop stores in Santitham) sad.png

Makro, Hang Dong Rd has had a delivery of Schweppes Tonic. I bought 3 cases. there seemed to be plenty left.

wai.gif

I thought this problem is over since Diet Coke is cropping back up all over the place now. However, I just got back from Sukhothai where Diet Coke, Coke Zero or Pepsi Max were all very nearly impossible to find!! Just a warning guys if you are travelling to other provinces, it might be worth taking a supply.

Cheers

Dee

Not everyone likes Diet Coke....

It's what the whole thread is about, isn't it?!?

No, in this thread we have talked about Coke Zero and Pepsi Max as well as Diet Coke.

Diet Coke is undrinkable to me. Coke Zero I can tolerate if I have no other alternative. Pepsi Max I really like. Do you understand now???

No, in this thread we have talked about Coke Zero and Pepsi Max as well as Diet Coke.

Diet Coke is undrinkable to me. Coke Zero I can tolerate if I have no other alternative. Pepsi Max I really like. Do you understand now???

Yes, and if you read my posts I talked about Coke Zero and Pepsi Max too! Although I personally prefere Diet Coke any of the three brands do me fine. I reported about all of them!

There is no need for your rudeness. We are all just trying to help each other out with threads like these, as I was trying to. Do not condescend me.

It comes to something when people can even get the hump over a thread about diet colas!!

On a point of grammar the phrase 'do not condescend me' surely should read 'don't be condescending toward me' If that's not being condescending.

Ha ha, yes that does sound better doesn't it, thanks for the correction!

Yes, and if you read my posts I talked about Coke Zero and Pepsi Max too! Although I personally prefere Diet Coke any of the three brands do me fine. I reported about all of them!

There is no need for your rudeness. We are all just trying to help each other out with threads like these, as I was trying to. Do not condescend me.

I have read all your posts - and you said earlier that the crisis is now over because Diet Coke is available. And that pissed me off because at that time Pepsi Max was not available other than in cans in small numbers in one part of CM.

It's only today, a week or more after your "crisis over" statement, that Pepsi Max is widely available. If you find that condescending then that's your problem.

Where I live in Santhitam near Chang Phueak, I can report that:

Coke Zero - can be found almost anywhere, including 7-Elevens and Tesco Express, Tops, etc - in cans, multi-packs of cans and bottles.

Pepsi Max - as above, although I haven't seen multi-packs of cans.

Diet Coke - a little harder, but single cans can be found at Mom and Pop shops and Thanin Market. Might be worth going to the big stores like Makro for multi-packs.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Still no Pepsi Max

I've seen loads of Pepsi Max around... usually in bottles though. Tops in Santhitam I think was the last place I saw it.

That was about Pepsi Max.

PepsiMax in cans, "bottled" on February 15, 2012 and recommended consumption before June 30, 2012, is currently warehoused in Pepsi Distribution Centers in certain unnamed provinces in the North. Serm Suk Company is the exclusive bottler and distributor of Pepsi Max, and is in a pissing match with Pepsi headquarters (Purchase, NY, USA) regarding contracts. It appears that Serm Suk is deliberately sitting on its stock, showing Pepsi that it has the upper hand. Unfortunate. Too bad Pepsi spokesmen won't step up and explain the political situation to its loyal customers.

Still no Pepsi Max

I've seen loads of Pepsi Max around... usually in bottles though. Tops in Santhitam I think was the last place I saw it.

That was about Pepsi Max.

PepsiMax in cans, "bottled" on February 15, 2012 and recommended consumption before June 30, 2012, is currently warehoused in Pepsi Distribution Centers in certain unnamed provinces in the North. Serm Suk Company is the exclusive bottler and distributor of Pepsi Max, and is in a pissing match with Pepsi headquarters (Purchase, NY, USA) regarding contracts. It appears that Serm Suk is deliberately sitting on its stock, showing Pepsi that it has the upper hand. Unfortunate. Too bad Pepsi spokesmen won't step up and explain the political situation to its loyal customers.

AHaa Knew there was more than meets the eye..... Typical BS stories about no cans, no syrup etc.

Was at Mackro on the super highway over the weekend. They had a pallet of Coke Light (Diet) and Coke Zero. Now that the floods are gone, maybe Singha will start producing the Pepsi products.

Edited by retiredaamt

• 1 month later...

Went to Makro on the Super twice in the past week and both trips no Diet Coke and no Coke Zero.....

Any one else experiencing similar in other locations...... Hope this was just a blip in the channel and not the start of another problem season.

Look forward to seeing your replies.

gonzo

Still no pepsi max in the 7-11's, just cans of Coke zero.

I have seen cases of Pepsi Max at the Rimping on the river.

Also Tops has had the bigger bottles.

I have noted that none of the usual suppliers have it in the amounts they had before the floods. For instance Tops was out of Coke Zero in the bottles the other day. All they had was loose cans. And 7 11s hardly ever have Pepsi Max.

Here in Santhitam, Diet Coke, Coke Zero and Pepsi Max can all be found pretty easily. Coke Zero is the easiest. I haven't seen Diet Coke in 7-11s, but they usually have it in Tops and Tesco Express and the markets and local shops. I've seen multi-packs of 6 in Tops.

When I have travelled to Mueang Nan or Uttaradit during the past 3-4 months (PepsiMax drought season in Chiang Mai), I have purchased 5-6 cases of PepsiMax cans each trip, no problem. 1 case is 24 cans. It's fresh stuff too!

What the hell is going on?

With so many folks participating in this thread it reminds me of something I read recently on the "Fooducate" blog.

Three Reasons to Rethink that Diet Coke You’re About to Drink

Long term effects unclear – while there have been many studies on artificial sweeteners and disease such cancer, very few focused on long term weight gain. A seven year study, (San Antonio Heart Study), showed a relationship between diet drink consumption and obesity, but the causation is not clear.

Consumption of artificial sweeteners is growing yearly. According to Ludwig,

If trends in consumption continue, the nation will, in effect, have embarked on a massive, uncontrolled, and inadvertent public health experiment. Although many synthetic chemicals have been added to the food supply in recent years, artificial sweeteners in beverages stand out in their ability to interact with evolutionarily ancient sensorineural pathways at remarkably high affinity.

• Like 1

I far and away prefer Pepsi Max.

I admit that I had some concerns about it as I had heard many RUMORS about the swetner in it. So I decided to have a look at what was in it.

I have no idea of what Coke has in it for a sweetener. But I can remember rumors 60 years ago that Coke could be used to dissolve nails. And yet it is still with us and to the best of my knowledge they still use the same formula. In a pinch I have no problem using Coke Zero and if things are really bad Diet Coke.

I wonder if they have any long term experiments on the continued use of sugar as compared to a substitute?

Here is the article from Wikipedia on Sucralose the sweetener in Pepsi Max.

"Sucralose can be found in more than 4,500 food and beverage products. It is used because it is a no-calorie sweetener, and does not promote dental cavities,[11] is safe for consumption by diabetics,[12][13][14] and does not affect insulin levels.[15] Sucralose is used as a replacement for, or in combination with, other artificial or natural sweeteners, such as aspartame, acesulfame potassium or high-fructose corn syrup. Sucralose is used in products such as candy, breakfast bars and soft drinks. It is also used in canned fruits wherein water and sucralose take the place of much higher calorie corn syrup-based additives. Sucralose mixed with maltodextrin or dextrose (both made from corn) as bulking agents is sold internationally by McNeil Nutritionals under the Splenda brand name. In the United States and Canada, this blend is increasingly found in restaurants, including McDonald's, Tim Hortons and Starbucks, in yellow packets, in contrast to the blue packets commonly used by aspartame and the pink packets used by those containing saccharin sweeteners; in Canada, though, yellow packets are also associated with the SugarTwin brand of cyclamate sweetener."

In conclusion stick around there will always be studies to disprove every thing.

Edited by hellodolly

I admit that I had some concerns about it as I had heard many RUMORS about the swetner in it. So I decided to have a look at what was in it.

I have no idea of what Coke has in it for a sweetener. But I can remember rumors 60 years ago that Coke could be used to dissolve nails. And yet it is still with us and to the best of my knowledge they still use the same formula. In a pinch I have no problem using Coke Zero and if things are really bad Diet Coke.

I wonder if they have any long term experiments on the continued use of sugar as compared to a substitute?

"Sucralose can be found in more than 4,500 food and beverage products. It is used because it is a no-calorie sweetener, and does not promote dental cavities,[11] is safe for consumption by diabetics,[12][13][14] and does not affect insulin levels.[15] Sucralose is used as a replacement for, or in combination with, other artificial or natural sweeteners, such as aspartame, acesulfame potassium or high-fructose corn syrup. Sucralose is used in products such as candy, breakfast bars and soft drinks. It is also used in canned fruits wherein water and sucralose take the place of much higher calorie corn syrup-based additives. Sucralose mixed with maltodextrin or dextrose (both made from corn) as bulking agents is sold internationally by McNeil Nutritionals under the Splenda brand name. In the United States and Canada, this blend is increasingly found in restaurants, including McDonald's, Tim Hortons and Starbucks, in yellow packets, in contrast to the blue packets commonly used by aspartame and the pink packets used by those containing saccharin sweeteners; in Canada, though, yellow packets are also associated with the SugarTwin brand of cyclamate sweetener."

In conclusion stick around there will always be studies to disprove every thing.

Hellodolly,

Please read my post a while back (#15, same topic) - I list the ingredients in these Diet Cola drinks.

Cheers!

Hellodolly,

Please read my post a while back (#15, same topic) - I list the ingredients in these Diet Cola drinks.

Cheers!

You are rite about the shelf life but that is nothing all things have a shelf life. After it is reached the product starts too change one way or another. Never for the better.

I really am not a expert but I did enough research on Pepsi Max to know that they do change the formula in it. It is all depended on which country. As for the shelf life that is never a problem here in Chiang Mai. Even before the floods there was times when it took a little bit of looking around for it.

I tried to open up the link but all I got was the symbol for the two brands with some Thai underneath it. And as each brand has several different drinks it really meant nothing to me.

I can only speak for myself but if I drink Pepsi Max I don't snack and I loose weight, If I loose weight it makes it easier on my body joints and I am doing some thing I enjoy. And I do drink at least two liters of water a day so for me it is a win win situation. For Me. I can not speak for others.

With so many folks participating in this thread it reminds me of something I read recently on the "Fooducate" blog.

Long term effects unclear – while there have been many studies on artificial sweeteners and disease such cancer, very few focused on long term weight gain. A seven year study, (San Antonio Heart Study), showed a relationship between diet drink consumption and obesity, but the causation is not clear.

If trends in consumption continue, the nation will, in effect, have embarked on a massive, uncontrolled, and inadvertent public health experiment. Although many synthetic chemicals have been added to the food supply in recent years, artificial sweeteners in beverages stand out in their ability to interact with evolutionarily ancient sensorineural pathways at remarkably high affinity.

Um, thanks for your post and all, but as has been previously stated, I don't think us Diet Coke / Pepsi Max / Coke Zero drinkers are asking about what the drinks do, we just want to know where to get them! Thanks!

• Like 2

Um, thanks for your post and all, but as has been previously stated, I don't think us Diet Coke / Pepsi Max / Coke Zero drinkers are asking about what the drinks do, we just want to know where to get them! Thanks!

Got it! However, I couldn't help but notice that if you were to change "Diet Coke / Pepsi Max / Coke Zero" - to an illegal or controlled substance, your post makes you look eligible to join any number of 12 step programs on offer here in Thailand. Just saying :-)

• 2 weeks later...

There has got to be something fishy going on here.

for the fifth time in the past month there has not been any Diet Coke or Coke Lite in Makro on the super hwy. Asked the floor crew if there was any in the back , answer no, and haven't had for a while. Asked at the front info desk and they said they didn't have any and did not know when they would be getting any more.

Got my Coke delivery man on the phone and he said there was none in the warehouse.

I haven't had the chance to try Tops, Rimping or any of the other Makros, but anybody else running across out of stock stories at any of the other places??

Whats with the diet colas being short on supply all the time.????

G