Chonburi (Jomtien) Retirement Extension

Someone wrote awhile ago that Choburi Immigrations Office was now requiring 2 handwritten copies of the application, 2 photos and 2 photocopies of the main passport page.

When I went in on 1st December I used one copy of the TM.7 with all the information filled in on the computer and printed out, one photo and one each of the various photocopies. Aside from my signature, nothing needed to be handwritten and one of everything was all that was required.

Also, after going to the retirement desk and getting everything checked and organized, I went on to the lady who does the final checks. She stamped the extension in my passport and returned it to me immediately, good until the end of January 2014. No need to come back the next day, as was the procedure in the past.

All very efficient and quick. Nothing "bizarre" as reported a few months ago.

Edited by Suradit69

Yes. they've changed the process again -- below is my experience last week.

This past Tuesday, I did both my 90-day report and retirement extension at the Pattaya/Chonburi office. I was lucky that I arrived very early- I didn't know that the day before was one of the many unannounced holidays where Immigration was not open -- the crowd on Tuesday was large and agitated.

I arrived at 8:10am - the office officially opens at 8:30. The lobby was filled with an unruly mob, all trying to get a queue number. A lot of pushing and bickering about who's before who. I managed to get a 90-day ticket in about 5 minutes. I waited about 10 minutes until the crowd started to disperse and went back for an "Extension" ticket. In the past, they wouldn't let me hold more than one ticket at the same time, so I went to a different agent and was able to get a 2nd ticket.

I was 5th in line for the 90-day and the process took only about 3 minutes, after a 15 minute wait. I had all four currently required documents, but from what I could see, he didn't even look at anything other than the application.

One minute after the 90-day process was completed, my number for the Extension came up. I had to make one extra copy of a passport page that took about 5 minutes. There were 3 desks involved. They "forgot" to give me 100 Baht change from the 2000 Baht I gave them - I had to ask for it.

When I got to the 3rd desk, she asked if I had already paid, even though she had both receipts marked "paid" in her hand. She applied the stamps and scribbling and I was out the door at 8:50.

As I made my way out, the place was jammed-- there must have been at least 200 people waiting in the lobby and seats. I've never seen so many people there at the same time. In the past, it has always been necessary to return either in the afternoon or the next day to pick up your passport - but, that inconvenience has (at least temporarily) been eliminated.

Given the milling throng chomping at the bit at 8:50am, I was very happy that I got there as early as I did or otherwise I might have spent the entire morning there.

This was the most streamlined the process has ever been in my 7 years of Visa renewals. It's nice to see them finally making an effort to make an unpleasant process a bit easier. I hope it stays that way.

I arrived at 8:10am - the office officially opens at 8:30. The lobby was filled with an unruly mob, all trying to get a queue number. A lot of pushing and bickering about who's before who. I managed to get a 90-day ticket in about 5 minutes. I waited about 10 minutes until the crowd started to disperse and went back for an "Extension" ticket. .................

As I made my way out, the place was jammed-- there must have been at least 200 people waiting in the lobby and seats. I've never seen so many people there at the same time. In the past, it has always been necessary to return either in the afternoon or the next day to pick up your passport - but, that inconvenience has (at least temporarily) been eliminated.

Given the milling throng chomping at the bit at 8:50am, I was very happy that I got there as early as I did or otherwise I might have spent the entire morning there.

This sounds like the Chiang Mai office on a good day.

Fortunately, they've instituted an on-line reservation system to avoid the queue for visa extensions. But they have a very limited number of appointments each day and are booked solid for about 8 weeks in advance. Last time I did a 12-month retirement extension before the appointment system, I arrived at 6 am and was number 4 in the informal "pre-queue" that one of the earlier arrivers had started. Then when the doors opened, some idiot insisted he'd been waiting in his car since 4 am, said the informal pre-queue process wasn't "official" and proceeded to physically push and shove his way to the front of the line. One old guy was knocked down.

Yes. they've changed the process again -- below is my experience last week.

I was 5th in line for the 90-day and the process took only about 3 minutes, after a 15 minute wait. I had all four currently required documents, but from what I could see, he didn't even look at anything other than the application.

Could you fill me in on what the 4 current required documents at Jomtien are, for a 90 days address report.

This is from the website of the Pattaya City Expats Club - they keep up to date on all the vagaries and varying requirements at Chonburi/Pattaya Immigration.

►90 Day Address Reporting: All foreigners staying in Thailand over 90 days, must report their address to Thai Immigration.

REQUIRED SINCE AUGUST 1 - Barry Kenyon announced at the August 1 meeting that Immigration Headquarters has instructed their Offices to require additional documentation to be submitted with the TM 47 - 90 day address report. We have received reports that these requirements are in effect – if you don't have the additional documents, you will be asked to provide them to complete the address reporting process – the documents are:

► Copy of passport Face Page

► Copy of latest Immigration Permission to Stay Stamp

► Copy of TM Departure Card (this is the white card that should be stapled in your passport)

► Copy of a document verifying your address (lease, utility bill, telephone bill, cable bill, etc.)

• 7 months later...

This is from the website of the Pattaya City Expats Club - they keep up to date on all the vagaries and varying requirements at Chonburi/Pattaya Immigration.

►90 Day Address Reporting: All foreigners staying in Thailand over 90 days, must report their address to Thai Immigration.

REQUIRED SINCE AUGUST 1 - Barry Kenyon announced at the August 1 meeting that Immigration Headquarters has instructed their Offices to require additional documentation to be submitted with the TM 47 - 90 day address report. We have received reports that these requirements are in effect – if you don't have the additional documents, you will be asked to provide them to complete the address reporting process – the documents are:

► Copy of TM Departure Card (this is the white card that should be stapled in your passport)

► Copy of a document verifying your address (lease, utility bill, telephone bill, cable bill, etc.)

Has anyone actually been asked (not given to them but been asked) by any immigration office in Thailand when making a 90 day address report in person?

The official Immigration requirement per website is: http://www.immigration.go.th/

Notification by registered mail

Photocopy of passport pages with following pages

- front page showing name / surname / Passport No., ect.

- current visa

- last entry stamp of immigration

- last extension of visa

Photocopy of departure card TM.6 click to view Example TM.6 card

Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any) click to view Example document

Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47 click to view Example document (Don't forget to sign name.)

Envelope with 10 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.

The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 15 days to Immigration office

Notice :

- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.

- Your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old receipt.

- Please keep your receipt of your registered mail in case of lost mail.

- Your document can not be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. ( You must come to the nearest immigration office or Immigration Division 1 in person to pay fine 2,000 Baht)

- Waiting for reply mail over 1 month, please contact Immigration Office with your registered mail receipt.

That's what I thought. I have done about 90 address reporting visits and no one has ever asked me for the information below as suggested by the poster and Barry Kenyon. It says in the post that they have received reports that the requirements are in effect! From who? By mail sure but that is not what the post below is about.

Note that the "REQUIRED SINCE AUGUST 1" notice has been in circulation since at least 2011-12-19 when SurfRider posted it.

And, even though "Immigration Headquarters has instructed their Offices to require additional documentation," it appears to not have become actual working policy. Or, maybe it DID become policy but reverted back to no additional documentation other than the TM.47 form?

That's what I thought. I have done about 90 address reporting visits and no one has ever asked me for the information below as suggested by the poster and Barry Kenyon. It says in the post that they have received reports that the requirements are in effect! From who? By mail sure but that is not what the post below is about.

REQUIRED SINCE AUGUST 1 - Barry Kenyon announced at the August 1 meeting that Immigration Headquarters has instructed their Offices to require additional documentation to be submitted with the TM 47 - 90 day address report. We have received reports that these requirements are in effect if you don't have the additional documents, you will be asked to provide them to complete the address reporting process the documents are:

Did my 90 day report on the 19th July. Was informed by the officer there that the above would be required as of the 1st Aug. There was also a memo in english stating the same in full view taped to the officers desk.

Did my 90 day report on the 19th July. Was informed by the officer there that the above would be required as of the 1st Aug. There was also a memo in english stating the same in full view taped to the officers desk.

I assume you mean July 19 2012 and if you don't mind where did you do the report? And my question still has anyone doing the 90 day report actually been asked for the information?

My most recent 90-day report was 16-July-2012 in Hua Hin, and no photocopies of anything were required. Only the TM.47 form.

Ditto with mine at Maptaput on 17 July in tandem with my latest retirement extension. Jomtien are clearly a law unto themselves on immigration matters in general, but at least they now seem to be processing retirement extensions with the same efficiency as Maptaput on the basis of my and the OP's latest experiences!

Edited by OJAS

REQUIRED SINCE AUGUST 1 - Barry Kenyon announced at the August 1 meeting that Immigration Headquarters has instructed their Offices to require additional documentation to be submitted with the TM 47 - 90 day address report. We have received reports that these requirements are in effect if you don't have the additional documents, you will be asked to provide them to complete the address reporting process the documents are:

I assume you mean July 19 2012 and if you don't mind where did you do the report? And my question still has anyone doing the 90 day report actually been asked for the information?

Yes I did mean 19th July 2012. I did my report at the Chonburi office in Jomtien, there are 2 officers sitting at the first desk on the left hand side as you enter the front door. I noticed the officer telling all persons in front of me, whilst I was waiting, that the 4 points stated above would be required on the 1st August 1012 and he also pointed to the document for them to read as to what was required.

Yes I did mean 19th July 2012. I did my report at the Chonburi office in Jomtien, there are 2 officers sitting at the first desk on the left hand side as you enter the front door. I noticed the officer telling all persons in front of me, whilst I was waiting, that the 4 points stated above would be required on the 1st August 1012 and he also pointed to the document for them to read as to what was required.

Thanks Ozemade, so my only question remains has anyone reporting 90 day adress in Thailand anywhere including Jomtien, actually been asked for the above documents?

In answer to chiangmaikelly.

Yes I renewed my Retirement yesterday and took notice of the officer telling the 90 day reporters to have the original of their verification of address photocopied. He said he was keeping them on file.

In answer to chiangmaikelly.

Yes I renewed my Retirement yesterday and took notice of the officer telling the 90 day reporters to have the original of their verification of address photocopied. He said he was keeping them on file.

Went to Chonburi Immigration today to get my Re-Entry Permit.

Saw the officer in charge of 90 day reporting at desk 3. I asked him for a copy of the reporting rules, he informed me that he hands out a small piece of paper with the reporting rules on it now.

NOTICE

NOTIFICATION OF 90 DAYS:

1. FILL FORM TM.47

2. COPY OF PASSPORT, VISA AND DEPARTURE CARD.

3. COPY HOUSE PAPER OR RENT CONTRACT OR BILL

Any of point 3. must have your name and address on it.

I wonder, what do they mean with "HOUSE PAPER"?
I'd venture to guess the Thabian Baan, yellow one in case you don't have permanent residency. Search this forum for details.

Thanks. I wish the immigration office would specify this in their requirements, ie say "yellow house registration book TR.13" and perhaps even add the Thai name ท.ร.13 สำเนาทะเบียนบ้าน. This might help with getting the yellow book from an amphoe that is otherwise reluctant to deal with this matter.

i always take the original house book and a copy of it

i show the book , then give them the copy with my signature

they are happy with that

You do this when you report your 90 day adress at Pattaya/Chonburi immigration?

PS I am still waiting for someone to report that he has been asked for anything besides the 90 day address form (TM-47). I appreciate Oz's statement that they are going to do it but I can't believe that they actually are doing it.

they are happy with that

PS I am still waiting for someone to report that he has been asked for anything besides the 90 day address form (TM-47). I appreciate Oz's statement that they are going to do it but I can't believe that they actually are doing it.

that would be me you are waiting for then

i have been doing it for over a year now i think

i was asked to bring proof next time when they first started it but let me off that time

they are happy with that

i was asked to bring proof next time when they first started it but let me off that time

If I read the thread correctly it started in August of 2011 ► Copy of passport Face Page

So have you been reporting every 90 days and not giving them the above information since last year?

Sorry you lost me a bit. When were you asked to bring the above for your 90 day address reporting and what proof do you mean? So are you saying it started in 2012 and not 2011 like the thread says?

they are happy with that

If I read the thread correctly it started in August of 2011 ► Copy of passport Face Page

So have you been reporting every 90 days and not giving them the above information since last year?

Sorry you lost me a bit. When were you asked to bring the above for your 90 day address reporting and what proof do you mean? So are you saying it started in 2012 and not 2011 like the thread says?

i did not bring proof of address when it was very first implemented in 2011

i did not know of the requirement at the time

he told me to bring proof of address the next time i reported

i did that and brought a house book for their inspection and a signed copy for their records

that was acceptable

i took the other documents as well as is normally required and had been taking for years

i do not know the exact date the requirement started

thankfully my life does not revolve around attendance dates at immigration.......