Pipe Jointing Compound

OK, we have two 2,400 Litre storage tanks which are intended for our house build but are currently providing temporary storage at our condo as we have no mains water due to flooding issues.

The outlet of these is a 2" BSP (I'm assuming BSP, it's whatever pipe threads are here) hole.

Got an iron (tank thread is brass) reducer to 1" from our local pipe man. Back home in the UK I would have splodged on loads of Boss White compound and cranked the reducer in, job done. The pipe man hasn't got / didn't understand what I meant by 'jointing compound' and insisted that the usual PTFE tape was the stuff to use.

Anyway, despite winding on most of a roll of PTFE one of the tanks seeps slightly at the outlet, it's not actually pissing out, just leaving a damp patch. Right now it's not an issue as this is not permanent, but when we re-locate the tanks to their final home I want to ensure they don't leak.

So I'd like to get some proper jointing compound, hence, does anyone know what it's called here or even have a photo of a pot of the stuff I can show my pipe chap?

Cheers chaps, good to know it's available (I never really doubted it, evidently a communication breakdown with the pipe man) and I now know what I'm looking for.

It's quite possible that it's just out of stock at our local outlets.

Cheers chaps, good to know it's available (I never really doubted it, evidently a communication breakdown with the pipe man) and I now know what I'm looking for.

It's quite possible that it's just out of stock at our local outlets.

But for the best results with the neatest outcome first put the Permatex over the threads and then follow up with the Teflon tape. Wrap by holding the fitting in the left hand while wrapping with your right hand and once you've wrapped 1.5 times and the tape has overlapped then gently pull the tape tighter to make sure the sealer is being evenly distributed through all the threads and the tape is tight. Then wrap several more times and this will give you a nice neat job that is certain to have a good seal by preventing the Permatex from 'rolling' out of the threads as it sometimes does especially if ANY moisture is involved..

So I'd like to get some proper jointing compound, hence, does anyone know what it's called here or even have a photo of a pot of the stuff I can show my pipe chap?

[/quote

PTFE , is ok for fine threads ,

2 in BSP , i suggest you unravel a rope or course cord ,

and smear one of the twines with a waterproof bath sealer from homepro ,

wrap the twine around the pipe thread ,

then get the 36inch stillsons , and a 8 ft scafold pole , on it

aint failed me yet , man n boy ,

frkng bak ache

closedeyes.gif

Edited by elliss

2 in BSP , i suggest you unravel a rope or course cord ,

I always used to keep a horse about me for these large threads - wrap a few horse hairs around the thread - the hair will expand when wet and complete the seal.

Failing that, a long-haired dog will do the trick ...

Simon

If the threads (Male and Female ) are both parallel ,then sealing can be difficult.

Ideally the female (i.e. the one with a hole) should be parallel, and the Male should be tapered.

The sealing compounds -tape etc. are not then required

I don't think I've ever seen a tapered thread here, at least not on domestic sizes. All the threads in question are parallel.

I attach an extract on this topic which I found on wiki.

They offer 2 options.

Number 2 option may be available.

Parallel with Parallel with a semi -liquid sealant is a flawed solution. Use of a semi-liquid sealant also presents health issues

post-43437-0-49152000-1324974593_thumb.j

Edited by Delight