Visiting Myanmar

rak sa_ngop

It has been nearly 2 years since I last visited Myanmar, but am now thinking of a return visit at short notice..

I have heard reports from friends that the number of visitors has now increased dramatically, flights are hard to get and hotels are full.

Can all this be true?

Obviously I dont't want to get a visa without a flight and hotel fixed up, and then again I don't want to book a flight and hotel if there are delays in getting a visa. Also I believe that a visa-on-entry is only available when pre-arranged with a tour operator.

Any recent experiences?

Thanks

I was there two weeks ago. Yes my subjective impression is that the number of tourists is way up oover say five years ago. I didn't have any trouble finding a room, however. Also I took the bus rather than fly domestically, as you can always get a bus seat just turning up at the station.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

I was there two weeks ago. Yes my subjective impression is that the number of tourists is way up oover say five years ago. I didn't have any trouble finding a room, however. Also I took the bus rather than fly domestically, as you can always get a bus seat just turning up at the station.

I have been checking hotels on the web and could not find anything available for the first week of January. However the friendly Burmese travel agent on Pan road said he could probably get me a room for 40 USD a night.

The Myanmar visa section looked like a zoo when I went to pick up a visa application form today.

I am begining to think that I might put off my Yangon trip and head to Phnom Penh instead.

I have been checking hotels on the web and could not find anything available for the first week of January. However the friendly Burmese travel agent on Pan road said he could probably get me a room for 40 USD a night.

The Myanmar visa section looked like a zoo when I went to pick up a visa application form today.

I am begining to think that I might put off my Yangon trip and head to Phnom Penh instead.

Checking Hotels on the web for Myanmar is nonsense, because - if they are actually listed on a hotel broker's website - the prices are easily DOUBLE the rate that you would get from a local agent in Yangon. Most of AGODA's rates for Myanmar for example, particularly for upscale-properties, are 50-100% more than the local going rate).

Just search online for LOCAL Yangon-based AGENT's websites. In many cases, they even list their prices on their websites (yes many DO have websites).

I am in touch with a VERY VERY good, reliable and inexpensive smaller agent in Yangon with decades of experience in the tourism business over there, but I can not post his companies' details here as it would be considered self-promotion or something. I have been using him on several occasions in the past few years.

If you want to know his contacts (email or phone) , then send me a PM.

he saved me HUNDREDS of Dollars just recently in August 2011, compared with international hotel-booking websites

Edited by siam2007
  • Like 1

Checking Hotels on the web for Myanmar is nonsense, because - if they are actually listed on a hotel broker's website - the prices are easily DOUBLE the rate that you would get from a local agent in Yangon. Most of AGODA's rates for Myanmar for example, particularly for upscale-properties, are 50-100% more than the local going rate).

Just search online for LOCAL Yangon-based AGENT's websites. In many cases, they even list their prices on their websites (yes many DO have websites).

I am in touch with a VERY VERY good, reliable and inexpensive smaller agent in Yangon with decades of experience in the tourism business over there, but I can not post his companies' details here as it would be considered self-promotion or something. I have been using him on several occasions in the past few years.

he saved me HUNDREDS of Dollars just recently in August 2011, compared with international hotel-booking websites

Thanks for the info. I was only checking the net to see if the hotels were really booked up, and this according to my Burmese travel agent on Pan Road does seem to be the case.

The two mid priced hotels I know, Thamada and Panorama (Thamada price 25 USD a night 2 years ago) are both booked up, although he did suggest another near the Panorama at 40 USD a night might be available.

I think I will wait until the Xmas holiday season is well over before planning my next trip.

• 3 months later...

Nothing in the rules against posting travel agents you have used. Give the name of the company and if he is as good as you say we can all google it.

Might give a little incentive to visit Yangon or other parts of Burma.

• Like 1