Solar Plan Lights Up Mae Hong Son Province

george

Solar plan lights up province

MAE HONG SON: -- Mae Hong Son province is in the process of initiating a Solar Home System project to provide solar-cell power to thousands of rural households in a mountainous region that would otherwise have no access to electricity.

The government project, under the responsibility of the Provincial Electricity Authority and the local administration organisation, will service various rural areas to provide constant electricity to residents and boost tourism in outlying areas with home-stay enterprises.

Officials said 15,700 households had requested the solar installation and 8,338 units had already been installed. Solartron Co Ltd, a private manufacturer of solar-cell plants, has been charged with installing and maintaining the service.

The Provincial Electricity Authority expects to provide the first batch of 153,000 households in the Northern region with plants before the new year and a further 50,000 plants in 2006.

Mae Hong Son, one of the nation’s poorest provinces, has the largest number of households in need of solar-cell plants.

--The Nation 2005-11-26

I wonder how much each unit is worth? I wonder if the householders know. I wonder how many will get flogged off....

I wonder who owns

Solartron Co Ltd, a private manufacturer of solar-cell plants, has been charged with installing and maintaining the service.
....I wonder what the price per installation is?

.....Mae Hong Son, one of the nation’s poorest provinces, has the largest number of households in need of solar-cell plants.

--The Nation 2005-11-26

I have spent considerable time in villages, many literally akin to villagers in Mae Hong Son, without electricity and later spent time in some of those same villages that later were reached by EGAT including my wife's village. I have not seen where the supplying of electricity has made any impact upon the economic situation of the locals. And in fact the building of all-season roads and the adjacent electric poles has often led to what I perceive as a sadder village with less laughter heard and less joy of life observed.

.....Mae Hong Son, one of the nation’s poorest provinces, has the largest number of households in need of solar-cell plants.

--The Nation 2005-11-26

I have spent considerable time in villages, many literally akin to villagers in Mae Hong Son, without electricity and later spent time in some of those same villages that later were reached by EGAT including my wife's village. I have not seen where the supplying of electricity has made any impact upon the economic situation of the locals. And in fact the building of all-season roads and the adjacent electric poles has often led to what I perceive as a sadder village with less laughter heard and less joy of life observed.

How do you connect good roads and electric poles to sad villages?

I'll never forget November, 1998, in a very remote autonomous Zapatista village in Chiapas, Mexico (the epicenter of poverty). Big International Red Cross hospital clinic truck had a small television in the cab, with a good antenna. There were some of the most unassimilated villagers in the New World, staring at mayhem, violence, sexual abuse and commercial ads for crap they could never afford, their eyes glued to that screen that wasn't even broadcasting in their native language.

When they pave paradise and put up a parking lot, you can kiss that place goodby.

The best and worst thing about Mae Hong Son is its remoteness.

You can't keep people in the dark forever. Especially if it's just for your benefit and well-being to know that a quiet, 'traditional' place still exists.

This is some of the only positive news I have seen on this forum. Solar power - top stuff - it's going to get mighty cheap with china bulk buying.

These people are going to get power sooner or later. I think it's great that it's going to be clean!!!!

You guys whinge about absolutely everything!