Step By Step

Could anyone who knows or has ever applied for a non-immigrant O or B visa please go through what you do and how long it takes from applying to recieving?

Thanks

It might sound stupid to ask this question but I for one don't know where to apply, should I go to the embassey or should I go to a consulate, whats the difference?

Which out of the two is cheaper and quicker?

Cheers guys!

embassey or should I go to a consulate, whats the difference?

The Consulate is some cases are faster and more liberal. The price for the government fees are the same.

Couple questions to be able to help you better.

What country do you live?

Are you married to a Thai?

What is your purpose to be in Thailand?

Do you have a job offer?

www.lawyer.th.com

Hi Sunbelt, thanks for the response and help.

I live in England now, I am married to a Thai woman and have a child also (2 months) My purpose to be in Thailand will be to live and work. When I arrive I will be doing a teaching course.

A job will come soon after this I hope :o

So would you recomend going to a consulate? How long would it take to receive the visa? I have booked my flight tonight too, so the time is ticking!!

Hope you can help sunbelt

Thanks!

Gi to one of these Thai Consulates with your marriage certificate.

BIRMINGHAM

Royal Thai Consulate

Exchange Buildings

Stephenson Place

Tel +44 (0) 121 643 9481

HULL

Royal Thai Consulate

James Bell House

Connaught Road

Hull

Tel: +44 1482 581668

LIVERPOOL

Royal Thai Consulate

Boodles House

35 Lord Street

Tel 0151 255 0504

CARDIFF

Royal Thai Consulate

Empire House

Mount Stuart Square

CF1 6DP

Tel 029 2046 5777

I doubt that the Embassy can help in such a short time but try if you are in London.

Royal Thai Embassy

29-30 Queens Gate

London

Tel: 020 7589 2944

Best of luck.

www.lawyer.th.com

Hi Westy.

Apply for a non-immigrant 'O' (multi-entry) by post to Hull, they will want your marriage cert. The Hull website has the forms and costs online. Alternatively visit a more local consulate, AVOID the embassy in London. Copies of bank statements, wifes passport etc are not strictly necessary but can't hurt.

Took mine 5 days door to door :o

The reason I suggest a multi entry is that with correct timing you can get up to 15 months in the Kingdom before having to worry about 400k in the bank for a marriage based visa extension.

Don't forget the visa's validity starts when it is issued, NOT when you first enter Thailand, so don't apply too early.

Hull website here:- http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Edited by Crossy

Thank you Crossy :o

I will go for the O type then, correct?

B and O are just, I can't get my head around them both :D

But you think I should go for the O type?

Ok multiple and single? If I go for multiple, which is 90 pound, then I can stay for 90 days, go to the boarder get my stamp for another 90 days right? How long will this visa last me for, is there a certain amount of time or entrys thats I can make.

Or

Should I go for single entry for 40 pound, go to the boarder and get it renewed, or can you, if its only single entry?

Im confussed please help!

Edited by westybrook

You are married to a Thai, correct?

Go for the O, the B is for 'Business' and is really supposed to be linked to a job offer. You can get a work permit with an O so no problem if you get a job here (and you don't lose the right to stay if the job ends).

A multi is valid for as many entries as you like during its validity (12 months from date of issue). Each entry is valid for 90 days, then you need to do a border run. If you time your last entry correctly (day before expiry) you can get up to 15 months in the kingdom on the one visa.

As you are married and if you meet certain financial requirements (currently 400k in a Thai bank) you can extend your 'O' for a full year and then not need to do border runs. This extension needs to be done during the last 30 days of your entry stamp and can take some time to process during which you get 30 day 'under consideration' stamps, leaving the country during this validation period could cause the whole process to stall.

Personally, I got a multi-O to give me 12+ months thinking and earning time before having to make the commitment of 400k in my local bank. As it happens I won't be in Thailand when my visa expires (so no possibilty of getting an extension), so I will have to get another multi-O (probably in Penang).

Should I go for single entry for 40 pound, go to the boarder and get it renewed, or can you, if its only single entry?

No.............you would need to visit a Embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country it can't be done at the border itself.

Do what Crossy says the multiple is the way to go if you want to put off bringing in 400k baht for a year or so.............disadvantage to this way is you/ll have to do "border runs" every 90 days.

Go for a single entry O visa if you want to bring the 400k in towards the end of the first 90 days stay and apply for a 1 year extension of stay...............advantage this way is no "border runs" ever again so long as you meet the support of Thai wife requirements.

As you are married and if you meet certain financial requirements (currently 400k in a Thai bank) you can extend your 'O' for a full year and then not need to do border runs. This extension needs to be done during the last 30 days of your entry stamp and can take some time to process during which you get 30 day 'under consideration' stamps, leaving the country during this validation period could cause the whole process to stall.

OK, so you just go back to the same office where you applied for the full year, and they grant "under consideration" stamps if the application is not approved yet?

When does the full year run from...time of entry, time of application, or time of granting the application???

As above; good information guys, thanks!!!!!!!