Amnesty Not Applicable To Thaksin

webfact

Amnesty not applicable to Thaksin

The Nation

House committee for reconciliation on Tuesday convened a hearing on amnesty and denied speculation about helping fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to come home.

"The committee is not serving a particular individual or group but striving to advance the reconciliation process," MP and committee chair Sonthi Boonyaratglin said.

Sonthi voiced optimism that the reconciliation will restore peace and happiness after Thai people have been suffering from the political conflict for so long.

The Council of State representative gave a statement to the committee outlining past cases and legislative proceedings for granting political amnesty.

MP and committee spokesman Nakorn Machim said past political amnesty covered four categories - national security offence committed within the country, national security offence committed abroad, offence under the Anti Communism Act and Thammasat University student rallies in 1976.

Nakorn said he believed that the committee was gearing for recommending amnesty for those involved in the political disturbances following the 2006 coup.

The amnesty would apply to people indicted for terrorism, those charged for violating the emergency rule, those taken part in street protests to voice demands or air opinions as sanctioned by the Constitution, and party executives banned from office and the electoral process, he said.

Based on Nakorn's remarks, Thaksin might benefit from amnesty, if granted, in regard to terrorism involving the red shirts in connection with the last year's mayhem and bloodshed. He is a fugitive suspect in what is known as the torching of Bangkok case.

But his 2007 conviction and two-year jail term for abuse of power in connection with the Ratchadapisek land case would not be part of the amnesty package because the case had no linkage to the political disturbances.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-20

Note to self: Ignore all the "news" about Thaksin unless and until he steps off the plane on Thai territory. You've got better things to do with my time and mental energy.

Another note to self: Make sure you're not on that flight on the outside chance he flies commercial.

Edited by impulse

But his 2007 conviction and two-year jail term for abuse of power in connection with the Ratchadapisek land case would not be part of the amnesty package because the case had no linkage to the political disturbances.

If he can't get out of his jail sentence through an amnesty, what will the PTP use to make sure he can be free when he returns?

edit: I imagine the PTP's next step will be the removal of Article 309 from the constitution, which will make the investigation into Thaksin's affairs retroactively illegal.

Edited by whybother

And still it goes on. Give the Thai people a break.

Now I knowhow come the Thai people are so good in using rubber bands. it keep coming backno matter how the stretch it. Just like the Amnesty, it is not on, it is , oh noway it is not, on and on

Sonthi voiced optimism that the reconciliation will restore peace and happiness after Thai people have been suffering from the political conflict for so long.

... and who was at the origin of all this suffering? Look in the mirror, Sonthi! Surprise!

Taking about putting the fox in charge of the hen house...

... and who was at the origin of all this suffering? Look in the mirror, Sonthi! Surprise!

Yes he was at the origin that is why the amnesty is aimed at all the red shirts.

It will also cover Thaksin for his charges in connection with the terrorism.

Have charges been brought to bear regarding his funding of it?

But not his corruption charges. If all of those charges are brought to bear and he is found guilty he will in all likely hood die in prison.

Well it is the Christmas season and he reminds me of Bob Marley and Ebenezer Scrooge in a Christmas Carol.

A ponderous chain indeed.

I wonder if they will recommend no more investigation of who shot who or does there idea of reunification mean jail all Democrats and free all terrorists.

Edited by hellodolly

Actually, Thaksin was at the origin, with him changing the laws to sell his company and then calling an election 12 months after he won a landslide.

The Yingluck gov't is not doing much for the Thai people. 95% of its focus is fixated on kowtowing to big brother - and how to get him back in the PM's seat a.s.a.p.

As much to blame for the miserable state of Thai government - are the Thais who voted for PT (whether paid to or not).

Note to self: Ignore all the "news" about Thaksin unless and until he steps off the plane on Thai territory. You've got better things to do with my time and mental energy.

Another note to self: Make sure you're not on that flight on the outside chance he flies commercial.

You are right.....I really should avoid reading news from Thaksin

If he can't get out of his jail sentence through an amnesty, what will the PTP use to make sure he can be free when he returns?

edit: I imagine the PTP's next step will be the removal of Article 309 from the constitution, which will make the investigation into Thaksin's affairs retroactively illegal.

But that can't cancel his two year conviction for abuse of power which is a serious crime involving a law which has been on the Thai statute books for decades and has no connection to anything which some would see as 'political'.

The trouble with the proposed reconcillation is it contradicts the law. No matter what political persuasion you have, there is no excuse for burning down Bangkok, the city halls, terrorising or intimidating others? I don't see how it can work? The law is for the greater good of all? I don't want to be terrorised and then the law says its ok? I don't to be robbed and the law says its ok. I don't want some one to attack me physically, and the law say its ok?

Put them all in prison, Sonthi included. THAT'S reconcilliation. Though illegal I favored the coup. That doesn't mean that I think the "heroes" of that coup shouldn't be tried. On the contrary. Put all these <deleted> in prison. Thaksinistas and coup makers. Let's see if the next generation doesn't think that governing might be a better idea.

But that can't cancel his two year conviction for abuse of power which is a serious crime involving a law which has been on the Thai statute books for decades and has no connection to anything which some would see as 'political'.

What they're trying to do is to make the group formed to investigate his crimes illegal. If there is no investigation, then the crime didn't exist, so he can go free.

Put them all in prison, Sonthi included. THAT'S reconcilliation. Though illegal I favored the coup. That doesn't mean that I think the "heroes" of that coup shouldn't be tried. On the contrary. Put all these <deleted> in prison. Thaksinistas and coup makers. Let's see if the next generation doesn't think that governing might be a better idea.

I agree somewhat. There are laws and there is (supposedly) law enforcement in Thailand. A lot of resources goes in to trying to maintain lawfulness here. Because of one man, the Reds and PT party are twisting themselves in to pretzels trying to get him off - so he can sit back in the PM's chair. By wiping the slate clean for all the lawbreakers, including T, they're essentially saying the laws don't matter, and the 10,000's of hours of investigations and prosecutions are for nought. It's denigrating Thailand's justice system.

The message for Thailand's youth: Go ahead and erect barricades in downtown Bkk. Go ahead and storm hospitals and threaten doctors and nurses. Go ahead and shoot off grenades which kill people - this is Thailand, land of pantywaist justice. Mai pen rai, Somchai, you'll be let off.

The trouble with the proposed reconcillation is it contradicts the law. No matter what political persuasion you have, there is no excuse for burning down Bangkok, the city halls, terrorising or intimidating others? I don't see how it can work? The law is for the greater good of all? I don't want to be terrorised and then the law says its ok? I don't to be robbed and the law says its ok. I don't want some one to attack me physically, and the law say its ok?

Well said common sense.

How does a honest person reconcile with a person who believes it is OK to kill, try to burn Bangkok down, iligally occupy pubic domain and invade hospitals.

CAN'T BE DONE

and Thaksin sings,

I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love

Even more then I usually do

And although I know it's a long road back

I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas

You can count on me

Please have snow and mistletoe

And presents under the tree

Christmas Eve will find me

Where the love light beams