Teachers License - Slight Dilemma

chonabot

I have a quick question and hoped that some of you could lend some expertise to this issue please?

My wife and I visited our local Primary school today and discussed the possibility of me working there next year.

It's a Government school about 40 kms south of Kalasin.

The headteacher seemed very keen and asked to see my credentials.

I have a BA, Diploma in Eng Language studies, a TEFL and a few other certificates.

He seemed impressed and is definitely interested :)

He then asked about any more training/credentials - I told him about the TEFL course I will be taking in Bangkok next month.

He asked whether the course would provide me with a teachers license?

I said no.

Another member of staff mentioned that they are going to Bangkok next week to apply for a license - they asked if I would like to do the same?

I have done some reading about the license and it's not too clear.

Would I need one of these as a TEFL teacher?

I believe I need one if I do not hold a BA in education / or 3 years teaching experience.

Also I heard that I would need to sit a Thai culture test ( please correct me if this is wrong )

I'm thinking the teacher doesn't really know the implications of this license for a non-thai teacher.

So the trip would be useful if I successfully applied for a license- albeit inconvenient right now - but I'm thinking it will be a waste of time and money if I fail to obtain one.

But I do not wish to seem ungrateful - nor do I want to put any noses out of joint.

Out of interest - would I need to go to Bangkok should I ever need to apply for a teachers license?

Looking forward to your response.

Out of interest - would I need to go to Bangkok should I ever need to apply for a teachers license?

Mine was applied for and received entirely by the school. I did nothing. There was a comment from the member of staff who sorted it all out that they would have preferred me to do it. I have QTS in the UK.

A colleague of mine was declined and was asked to go in person. He's not yet been, so not sure if it will make a difference. His qualifications are different to mine.

Other points - to teach in Thailand, you need a licence. You need one even if you have a BA in education, though obtaining one with suitable qualifications is quite easily possible. You can get a two year waiver, which is extendable, which would allow you to teach legally for as long as they keep issuing waivers. The school can obtain a waiver on your behalf. N.B. There may be new rules coming in for government schools. I know of someone who is, as far as I know, yet to be told his job is being advertised as he no longer fulfills the criteria......

Thai culture test - I sat one in March. I think this was the last one before they changed the regulations. Not sure if they have yet decided on the new regulations.

Hope 've been of help. This being Thailand, I expect people to contradict me with their experience!

Edited by naboo

Mine was applied for and received entirely by the school. I did nothing. There was a comment from the member of staff who sorted it all out that they would have preferred me to do it. I have QTS in the UK.

A colleague of mine was declined and was asked to go in person. He's not yet been, so not sure if it will make a difference. His qualifications are different to mine.

Other points - to teach in Thailand, you need a licence. You need one even if you have a BA in education, though obtaining one with suitable qualifications is quite easily possible. You can get a two year waiver, which is extendable, which would allow you to teach legally for as long as they keep issuing waivers. The school can obtain a waiver on your behalf. N.B. There may be new rules coming in for government schools. I know of someone who is, as far as I know, yet to be told his job is being advertised as he no longer fulfills the criteria......

Thai culture test - I sat one in March. I think this was the last one before they changed the regulations. Not sure if they have yet decided on the new regulations.

Hope 've been of help. This being Thailand, I expect people to contradict me with their experience!

Yes you have - Thanks :)

As you say 'this is Thailand' - I'm not sure if I should go, just to keep them sweet and hope for the best ?

Also - I am currently on a Tourist Visa - planning to get Non - Imm based on Marriage/ or based on Job offer ( when recieved ) can I get a Teachers license on the Tourista Visa status?

Edited by chonabot

Yes you have - Thanks :)

As you say 'this is Thailand' - I'm not sure if I should go, just to keep them sweet and hope for the best ?

Also - I am currently on a Tourist Visa - planning to get Non - Imm based on Marriage/ or based on Job offer ( when recieved ) can I get a Teachers license on the Tourista Visa status?

If its a tourist visa (applied for at an embassy or consulate) rather than a 30 day entry it will be ok. the visa can be changed for ext of stay. the 30 day entry can not.

The school can write a letter and get a 2 year waiver as mentioned (especially if they really want you) at least they could before (that may have changed)

I'm a qualified teacher and should get a licence automatically. My school applied on my behalf - back in 2007. Still waiting.... none of the teachers at my school, Thai or farang, have received a licence so far. With new teachers who are only staying a year, the school doesn't even bother applying, they seem to be able to get non-B extensions and work permits easily for the first year without any supporting documents like the culture course or a licence waiver.

However - from what I read here at the forum, this seems to vary significantly across the provinces. What works in Chiang Mai may be completely out of the question in Kalasin.

A total joke the differing and changing requirements presented by those in charge.

An yet these things appear: http://www.bangkokpo...aking-year-2012

The Education Ministry will launch an "English Speaking Year 2012" programme to promote English speaking by Thai students

The admittedly few professional teachers I know, who have lived and worked in thailand would NEVER go back!

Edited by kaorop

• 1 month later...

I am trying to get to apply to the Professional knowledge test to be able to get my teachers license.

I am teaching here in Thailand since 2 ½ years. I already have my “Thai culture and professional ethics course” and would like to register for the “ Professional knowledge test. On the webpage of the Teachers’ Council of Thailand., there is a nice .pdf document explaining how to proceed and register. Problem is the topic “ Application for Testing of teaching profession Knowledge…” is nowhere to be found. phone calls and mails to TCt where never answered.

Has anybody registered and could help me find this form?