Christmas Diner

hellodolly

Christmas is only a few days away.

Been thinking of where to go this year. Normally I stay at home but thought this year I would try a Christmas dinner out.

Question is where and how munch. I know of two both with good reputations for good food.

1 La Meridian for 850 baht

2 Dukes for 1,200 baht not sure if that is both locations in the night bazaar and on the river. The river one for sure.

Edited by hellodolly

Many of the hotels are running Christmas eve dinners, Christmas day lunches and dinners, as well as many restaurants. There should be a list posted in City Life, although it is never complete.

At the lower end of the upscale hotels the Siripanna VIlla (if I remember correctly) is running a Christmas Dinner buffet for 599 baht. The Shangri-la has dinner, lunches at various prices depending on the date and time--but the buffet meal is relatively the same including international cuisine, Thai, and traditional turkey and festive goodies. I found that the Shangri-la's best value is the Christmas Day dinner at 599 plus tax and service.

It is so nice to know that there is a lot of choice in dining out on Christmas this year.

Best wishes for a peaceful and joyous Christmas and New Year.

Any of these Christmas buffets according to past years include smoked salmon and other seafood?

La Meridian

The Duke's and the Holiday Inn usually have these kind of goodies.

IMO, the best deal in town for those on a budget is Gecko Garden. Christmas dinner is only 50 baht more than their normal Sunday buffet, but with Turkey, stuffing and other holiday fare (350 for Xmas) The food is good and there is plenty of it. It is short on atmosphere, but for that price, who cares?

Edited by Ulysses G.

IMO, the best deal in town for those on a budget is Gecko Garden. Christmas dinner is only 50 baht more than their normal Sunday buffet, but with Turkey, stuffing and other holiday fare (350 for Xmas) The food is good and there is plenty of it. It is short on atmosphere, but for that price, who cares?

555 cheap charlie mak mak

Even cheaper this Charlie:

Christmas Buffet at Uno Due Tre DIY Pizza in Bor Sang. Costs 159 baht pp.

The Menu:

Zuppa di zucca - Pumpkin Soup

Tramezzini Salmone -Salmon Cocktail

Tramezzini Tonno e olive verdi - Tuna+Olive Cocktail

Tramezzini Formaggio fresco basilico e pomodorini

New Zeland Cozze alla crema

Spaghetti carbonara

Maccheroni salsiccia al sugo- Maccaroni

Lasagna

Scaloppine al vino bianco- Scaloppine with white wine

Pollo al forno - Baked Chicken

Patate al forno - Baked Potato

Insalata mista - Mixed Salad

Insalata tonno - Tuna Salad

Pizze - Pizza

Diy pizza

Tiramisu

Panettone

Punch

Caffe- Cafe

Frutta - Fruits

Need to book in advance. Tel.: 085 zero three285 six five

Next door they serve wine and (Belgium) beers.

Map: post-27646-0-92224800-1324436583_thumb.j

Whether the food is good, that depends on one's taste buds. Mine do like the food there.

I really like Le Meridien's Christmas Eve dinner.

This will be my 3rd straight year attending and I always look forward to it.

Very good spread, nice quality and a very impressive dessert section. Its also pretty festive with a Santa Claus and presents

Bring your own bottle of wine (or 2) if you go

Any of these Christmas buffets according to past years include smoked salmon and other seafood?

La Meridian

Le Méridien. It's masculine, so "Le". Either way that's not a diner. The original post asks for a diner, as per the topic title.

The Dukes I suppose could be considered a diner.

To me it seems not typical to find smoked salmon and seafood at a diner, but I will defer to folks more experienced than I.

Edited by CheGuava

i think he meant dinner not diner otherwise known as a greasy spoon.

Whats the scoop on the Holiday Inn buffet for Christmas day?

I phoned the Holiday Inn about the Xmas buffet, they were wanting 1,850 baht :o :o

I can not say for sure, but based on past years, The lunch time buffet. is much cheaper.

I phoned the Holiday Inn about the Xmas buffet, they were wanting 1,850 baht :o :o

I can not say for sure, but based on past years, The lunch time buffet. is much cheaper.

UG, As I said, I phoned the Holiday Inn and they quoted 1,850 or 1,480 baht if paid before Xmas...

If you want to avoid me, I'm going to Le Méridien this year.

Holiday Inn way too expensive this year.

D

Its only 30 quid each, you would pay double that in the UK for a cheap Christmas dinner. Its only once a year.

Le Meridien is only 17 quid each, and a pretty impressive buffet selection too :)

IF I were in the UK, I'd be cooking my own!

Happy holidays peoples :)

La Meridian

Depends on what kind of atmosphere you want of course ;-), but after reading the many favourable comments about the Gecko Garden

here, I too have been eating there on occasion the last few months, and can only concur; the value for money is good, and both

staff and owner seem pleasant.

As far as I remember, the serving was at 18:30 and they were taking reservations.

Many of the hotels are running Christmas eve dinners, Christmas day lunches and dinners, as well as many restaurants. There should be a list posted in City Life, although it is never complete.

At the lower end of the upscale hotels the Siripanna VIlla (if I remember correctly) is running a Christmas Dinner buffet for 599 baht. The Shangri-la has dinner, lunches at various prices depending on the date and time--but the buffet meal is relatively the same including international cuisine, Thai, and traditional turkey and festive goodies. I found that the Shangri-la's best value is the Christmas Day dinner at 599 plus tax and service.

It is so nice to know that there is a lot of choice in dining out on Christmas this year.

Best wishes for a peaceful and joyous Christmas and New Year.

I just phoned the Shangri-la, the Xmas buffet is 1,176 baht with tax.... :angry:

Le Méridien. It's masculine, so "Le". Either way that's not a diner. The original post asks for a diner, as per the topic title.

To me it seems not typical to find smoked salmon and seafood at a diner, but I will defer to folks more experienced than I.

Feel better about yourself now? jerk.gif

Even cheaper this Charlie:

Christmas Buffet at Uno Due Tre DIY Pizza in Bor Sang. Costs 159 baht pp.

The Menu:

Zuppa di zucca - Pumpkin Soup

Tramezzini Salmone -Salmon Cocktail

Tramezzini Tonno e olive verdi - Tuna+Olive Cocktail

Tramezzini Formaggio fresco basilico e pomodorini

New Zeland Cozze alla crema

Spaghetti carbonara

Maccheroni salsiccia al sugo- Maccaroni

Lasagna

Scaloppine al vino bianco- Scaloppine with white wine

Pollo al forno - Baked Chicken

Patate al forno - Baked Potato

Insalata mista - Mixed Salad

Insalata tonno - Tuna Salad

Pizze - Pizza

Diy pizza

Tiramisu

Panettone

Punch

Caffe- Cafe

Frutta - Fruits

Need to book in advance. Tel.: 085 zero three285 six five

Next door they serve wine and (Belgium) beers.

Map: post-27646-0-92224800-1324436583_thumb.j

Whether the food is good, that depends on one's taste buds. Mine do like the food there.

Sounds like a good buffet but I was more interested in Christmas dinner.:)

Feel better about yourself now? jerk.gif

He should see my spelling before a spell check. It would give him a week of enjoyment.:)

Actually I already knew that a friend of mine a English major education in collage was telling me about it as she was laughing.

i think he meant dinner not diner otherwise known as a greasy spoon.

Whats the scoop on the Holiday Inn buffet for Christmas day?

We went to the Holiday Inn for Thanksgiving...absolutely lousy! Nothing was hot. They had to reheat my turkey, stuffing (if you could call it that), gravy, etc. A poor selection of entrees and desserts...we will never go there again. The normal Sunday buffet was better

He should see my spelling before a spell check. It would give him a week of enjoyment. smile.gif

Actually I already knew that a friend of mine a English major education in collage was telling me about it as she was laughing.

A major in collage would be an Arts major, not an English major, would it not?

Don't forget: The Garden (across from Inter Inn)

December 25 2011 Roast Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, cranberry sauce, apple or pumpkin pie, etc.

395 baht,To reserve: 081 882 2840, 080 127 0922

It is not all you can eat, but decent portions and tasty food at a reasonable price.

Any other suggestions for a traditional UK Xmas dinner? Just phoned Meridian and no Xmas dinner tomorrow on Xmas day?! Just a 'Brunch', whatever that is!

Been a bit quiet for suggestions this year! Surprising for TV members!

Happy Xmas.

Actually just found this....http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2013

Edited by kjhbigv