Fish & Chips...

Michaelaway

There's always so much fascinating F & C dialogue going-on on TV. I've been thinking about something to ask. First off, let me admit that I am an American guy who's had fish & chips a total of one time (here, at one of the popular chippy's in Pattaya), so I'm definitely no expert. But, ever since that day, I've been thinking about what could have made my F & C meal even better, like, really outstanding.

My fish tasted ok. It was big, thick & batter-crusted heavily; not very moist inside. The chips weren't many, but they were thick wedge types. This was a thick and starchy plate full. Seems to me, I should have ordered some curry sauce for dipping of the F (to use along with the tartar sauce). And, some gravy for dipping of the C (along with ketchup). Also, although I haven't tried mushy peas yet, those would have added something good, I'll bet. My chippy's menu had those 3 things as side orders. But, I'm thinking maybe some cool & creamy cole slaw might have gone down well. Maybe even a nice side salad with Italian dressing. But, they don't sell that stuff at my chippy. And, not to stretch the envelope to far- but what about a little ranch dressing, some horseradish or garlic sauce, tzatziki, a small bowl of salsa, cucumber salad?

But... is this... blasphemy?

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is just the American in me talking (and it's getting late). Really, I don't mean any offense if real veterans don't eat slaw or salad, tzatziki or salsa with their F & C meals. And, that's what I'm asking:

What's the traditional way, the most-favored way, the best way, the most far out way... to eat Fish & Chips? And, which ways are just not done/verboten? Cheers!

B)

post-72929-0-36041700-1324395964_thumb.j

the english feed the fish to their cats and make sandwiches out of the chips which are called 'chip butties'...:D

brown sauce mingling with the malt vinegar and salt...

a lot of the time when the pubs close and you ain't got the dosh for a curry folks just get a bag of chips and that's what you see regurgitated on the sidewalk on Monday morning along with the broken shop front windows on your way into work...

in Glasgow, chips are used as weapons in street fights...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

assuming the fish in the pic is what you were served..... it is fresh from a box and sounds freezer burnt (ie there are much better species available in thailand and elsewhere to have in your fish and chips). they will be sweeter and moist

PS> Blue Cod in bredcrumbs - fied in butter, for tea tonight :whistling: caught at 6pm.... eaten 30 mins later :D

I'm an oddity in that I refuse to put vinegar on mine, but will put lemon. If you want a strong taste, picked onions are popular.

I also like tartare on the fish and mayonaise on the chips. I like to put loads of salt on mine, necessitating a beer to wash it down.

I'm an oddity in that I refuse to put vinegar on mine, but will put lemon. If you want a strong taste, picked onions are popular.

I also like tartare on the fish and mayonaise on the chips. I like to put loads of salt on mine, necessitating a beer to wash it down.

:thumbsup: Good quality, crunchy, pickled onions! There is a thread over on the Isaan forum on how to make them using Thai shallots.

Also pickled gherkins and sweet cucumbers. Breaded fried mushrooms with garlic dipping sauce...

Mayonnaise on chips?:blink: You're not part-Belgian are you?

Good quality sea-salt is preferable to common table salt. brings out more flavour and you need less of it.

Edited by SimonD

Wrapped in newspaper walking home from the pub on a cold and windy evening slathered in salt and vinegar. Brown sauce optional.

brown sauce is for the chip butties...

I never use the stuff although i'm fond of Lea and Perrins on chips at home..if they are of the proper kind.

:thumbsup: Good quality, crunchy, pickled onions! There is a thread over on the Isaan forum on how to make them using Thai shallots.

Also pickled gherkins and sweet cucumbers. Breaded fried mushrooms with garlic dipping sauce...

Mayonnaise on chips?:blink: You're not part-Belgian are you?

Good quality sea-salt is preferable to common table salt. brings out more flavour and you need less of it.

I can see the case for all of this but if the fish is fresh and properly cooked and the chips are nice and crispy then you don't need anything more than common salt and vinegar, a few beers in your belly and a strong following wind...

vinegar on fish and chips are a vital condiment and folks say that if there is no malt vinegar then the barbarians have run away with the show...

Balsamic makes a decent substitute. But yeah malt...mmm...the clear stuff is a no no.

Also not been mentioned is the queue at the chippie. If there aint one then its a bad start...as is lots of precooked fish in the heater...nononononono!

How to make perfect Fish & Chips

A few large potatoes, peeled and cut into chips.

Cod is king but a worthy substitute is the Vietnamese Catfish fillets ( Basa or River Cobbler)

Make the Batter Put cup plain flour in mixing bowl, add pinch of salt, 2 shakes of vinegar, a dash of milk and enough soda water to blend to consistancy of double cream.

set aside.

Blanche the chips, without colouring them, in veg oil at low heat for 10 mins, take out and drain.

Turn up the heat and fry the battered fillets of fish until golden brown, remove, drain and keep warm.

Dip a few onion rings in the batter and fry until golden.

Return the chips to the pan and crisp.

Plate up and enjoy.

Cheats mushy peas. If you can get tinned marrowfat peas just add half teaspoon of bi-carb, bring to the boil and they will turn into mushy peas before your very eyes.

Edited by grimleybob

Blanche the chips, without colouring them, in veg oil at low heat for 10 mins, take out and drain.

I was of the belief that blanching meant to boil them in water for a few minutes..

"blanche" just means to cook without colouring. You would blanche vegetables in water.The original method of cooking "pomme frites" or french fries was the method I described according to Escoffier's "Ma Cuisine" Bob

yeah...I've seen folks 'blanching' fries before when I worked at MacDonalds in 1966 when they still made fries from scratch before the frozen ones came in...at the McD shop where I worked there was a big silent person that came in about 7am that hefted the 100lb sacks of potatoes from the basement storage area then washed and put them thru the peeling machine(a big rotating tub with hard edges inside) then one by one put them thru the hand cranked slicer and then to blanch briefly in the oil and then to set on the rack to await final deep frying...he usually got done right before the lunch time rush...he then changed clothes, lit up a Kool menthol unfiltered cigarette and disappeared...the phantom of the fries...I was fascinated by the industrial efficiency...

Chips need to be par cooked, taken from the oil which is allowed to heat up again and then re-immersed.

I've seen a couple of chef friends actually take one from the oil and give it a squeeze, if they squash a little they are ready to take out the first time. (the fingers must toughen up with practice unsure.gif )

This process makes a crisper chip.

Chips need to be par cooked, taken from the oil which is allowed to heat up again and then re-immersed.

I've seen a couple of chef friends actually take one from the oil and give it a squeeze, if they squash a little they are ready to take out the first time. (the fingers must toughen up with practice unsure.gif )

This process makes a crisper chip.

Yes it seems the fashion has started for thrice cooked chips. Although if you get it right using the double method I reckon this is surely a gimmick.

Yes twice cooked potatoes are the only way to have a perfect chip, which when added to thick beer battered fish is the perfect meal, the fish of choice is haddock or cod, but can be plaice, skate or rock salmon (eel) all cooked in lard. served with a wally ( gerkin) or a large pickled onion, plenty of salt and vinegar, malt or later non brewed condiment vinegar, and maybe even a buttered roll ( to make the chip butty) if you come from further north of Cambridgeshire also served with mushy peas, and more recently served all over the UK with a Chinese curry sauce.

My favorite sauce to put on top if eaten at home was "daddies" sauce not available over here.

But if an even better meal is required and you come from the east end of London, "pie and mash" was available everywhere, along with stewed eels and mash, or jellied eels and thick chunks of bread.

Now my mouth is watering i will have to have a full English.

Edited by steve187

yeah...I've seen folks 'blanching' fries before when I worked at MacDonalds in 1966 when they still made fries from scratch before the frozen ones came in...at the McD shop where I worked there was a big silent person that came in about 7am that hefted the 100lb sacks of potatoes from the basement storage area then washed and put them thru the peeling machine(a big rotating tub with hard edges inside) then one by one put them thru the hand cranked slicer and then to blanch briefly in the oil and then to set on the rack to await final deep frying...he usually got done right before the lunch time rush...he then changed clothes, lit up a Kool menthol unfiltered cigarette and disappeared...the phantom of the fries...I was fascinated by the industrial efficiency...

1966 that must of been Ronald himself licklips.gif

Is the fish at chippies in Thailand generally cooked in lard? I haven't noticed the taste of it in the fish here. (I don't like lard.)

No one cooks with lard any more...not even my grannie. She microwaves everything! giggle.gif

Edit: Just to add I love good sausages cooked in lard....but my heart says NO!

Edited by smokie36

Drooling at just the idea of a nice few slices of bread, home cooked fish, chips and mushy peas with a good sprinkling of salt and vinegar and a good amount of HP Brown Sauce.

Depending on how talented I would be feeling then it would all be on a butty (sandwich for anyone not from the north of England) and professionally or so I thought cut in half for double the enjoyment.

Farrangs of the world (THAILAND) unite.

Lets get a good old fashioned chip shop and make it into a chain.

They have kebap (no spelling mistake your kebab comes in a kind of role/bap??) in Hua Hin and many other foreign eateries but lets get a traditional English chippy.

Off raiding the fridge now

can't fergit the chip buttys...and there are also bacon buttys, etc...when I lived and worked in the east midlands in the UK there was a manager that declared that buttys were not to be kept anywhere near the engineering documents lest the grease or the brown sauce cause a mess...he was described as 'an old woman' by various colleagues...

can't fergit the chip buttys...and there are also bacon buttys, etc...when I lived and worked in the east midlands in the UK there was a manager that declared that buttys were not to be kept anywhere near the engineering documents lest the grease or the brown sauce cause a mess...he was described as 'an old woman' by various colleagues...

I bet the words were much more colourful...especially for a bloke. Fkin hell...! A herbal tea and muesli man if ever there was one....

Bacon butties... now you're talking!

since I've been at home the past few months I've made potato salad using a packet of thai bacon with a chopped onion cooked in the drippings...drop the whole mess into a bowl with the cooked tatties with just a leedle salt, lime juice and plenty of fresh ground pepper, mix well and refrigerate...reminiscent of a bacon butty for which a nice fresh bap is required...

Bacon butties... now you're talking!

since I've been at home the past few months I've made potato salad using a packet of thai bacon with a chopped onion cooked in the drippings...drop the whole mess into a bowl with the cooked tatties with just a leedle salt, lime juice and plenty of fresh ground pepper, mix well and refrigerate...reminiscent of a bacon butty for which a nice fresh bap is required...

Nice. Mind you could start baking your own bread of course....