Fish & Chips...

Michaelaway

english bacon, canadian bacon, american streaky bacon...c'mon guys, whatever works: we're in de thoid woild over here...

re: bread making at home I've tried with arabic bread but the mess to clean up later ain't worth the effort...maybe try one of those bread making machines? but you must have a bap for a butty...a bap is a round roll sorta like what they use for burgers but with firmer texture...nice Kingsmill thick sliced white bread is an acceptable substitute per your photo...

my beloved wife has become fond of the banana bread that they sell at tescos and I have swaggered and said: 'banana bread? why, anyone can make banana bread...' and I have a big stainless mixing bowl and bread tins and an oven and have no excuse for not making any...gotta watch my mouth, sometimes...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

"a nice fresh bap is required..."

What's a bap, please?

"Shame that's not "REAL" bacon though"

Is this better...?

Not bad but here's the proper bacon butty...

bacon-sandwich.jpg

Now I want you to imagine taking the first bite...and the butter running down your chin...

What's a bap, please?

Is this better...?

bacon-sandwich.jpg

Now I want you to imagine taking the first bite...and the butter running down your chin...

now...that is a nice butty, in a real bap...

What's a bap, please?

Is this better...?

bacon-sandwich.jpg

Whoa. That looks bap-licious! Now, where do I get one... in Pattaya?

All this talk of bacon butties has got me slobbering in the keyboard tongue.png

Many moons ago when I was doing field service in the UK there was a place on the A31 in the New Forest, a caravan in a lay-by (The Jock Stop IIRC). He did the most mind blowing 'Breakfast Bap', bacon, egg, sausage, beans and/or tomatoes all in a giant bap. All good for the heart (attack) but at 5AM on a snowy, dark and bleak English summer morn probably the single most welcome sight on the planet.

Jock (never knew if that was his real name) could also assemble one of these so it was guaranteed to squirt down the front of any young whippersnapper sales-rep who tried to bypass the queue of patiently waiting truckers (who of course knew what was coming and didn't object).

What's a bap, please?

Is this better...?

bacon-sandwich.jpg

I'm going to call it here and I think tutsi will understand that this is a Scottish Bacon Roll.....those south of the border have their inferior products.....

What's a bap, please?

Is this better...?

bacon-sandwich.jpg

I'm going to call it here and I think tutsi will understand that this is a Scottish Bacon Roll.....those south of the border have their inferior products.....

dunno...my MiL in Glasgeh never did buy no baps and I never did see none in Scotland,,,she useta get that nice square, scottish thick sliced white bread for her bacon sarnies (never call them buttys north of the border...) and I always had one for breakfast when we stopped up at their place in Sandy Hills...didn't need to eat for the rest of the day when down the bars in the Gallowgate with the FiL...then later a nice lamb shank stew for supper...they are irish but it was regional cuisine at its best...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

As an American, I find that fish and chips are good, but I don't see a lot of difference between this shop or that, haddock or cod, or about all the things that Brits seem to enjoy arguing. So in a way, I guess it is sort of like the Americans arguing over burgers and the other wondering why we seem to care so much.

I am glad I read the post about liking tartar sauce on it. I always felt guilty slathering on the stuff instead of just the vinegar.

Now this bacon butty thing...where can I get that?????? Some ThaiVisa members introduced me to cornish pasties, and those were good, but this bacon butty looks like it could beat a pasty hands down!

As an American, I find that fish and chips are good, but I don't see a lot of difference between this shop or that, haddock or cod, or about all the things that Brits seem to enjoy arguing. So in a way, I guess it is sort of like the Americans arguing over burgers and the other wondering why we seem to care so much.

I'm American and definitely can recognize that some fish and chips are much better than others. The best that I have had in Thailand is at Goose's in Pattaya and IMO they would be good pretty much anywhere in the world.

Thought you was going to wax lyrical about square sausage for a moment there....

yeah...there is always the square sausage...but the scottish square sausage doesn't seem to go into a sarnie with the scottish square loaf, somehow... need to serve the sausage with eggs and regular pork sausages, blood pudding and bacon together on a plate with fried tomatoes and add some potato scones for a little balance...man, what a breakfast...a cholesterol OD...

almost as good as: scrambled eggs cooked with fantastically greasy mexican chorizo sausage, rice and beans cooked in lard and a couple dozen fresh corn tortillas...

great way to start your day...but standing up from the table and moving away may be a problem...just siddown and have another 'Superior' mexican beer to aid the digestion... who wantsta go to work anyway...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I am glad I read the post about liking tartar sauce on it. I always felt guilty slathering on the stuff instead of just the vinegar.

Now this bacon butty thing...where can I get that?????? Some ThaiVisa members introduced me to cornish pasties, and those were good, but this bacon butty looks like it could beat a pasty hands down!

Being a Yorkie I should be a bacon butty man but to be honest I'de rather have a BLT any day. It's the Rolls Royce of bacon butties

Just read this in CNN:

Style: A real deal fish-and-chips shack from New Zealand

Claiming to be Bangkok's first New Zealand restaurant, Snapper is primarily a fish-and-chips shack that dishes out freshly caught seafood.

It’s no fuss, no muss menu makes it clear: if you go to Snapper, you’re going for fresh seafood imported from New Zealand...

For the full story, click here.

Just read this in CNN:

Style: A real deal fish-and-chips shack from New Zealand

Claiming to be Bangkok's first New Zealand restaurant, Snapper is primarily a fish-and-chips shack that dishes out freshly caught seafood.

It’s no fuss, no muss menu makes it clear: if you go to Snapper, you’re going for fresh seafood imported from New Zealand...

For the full story, click here.

yeah...in the Gulf area in the ME all fish and chips are made from the fresh locally caught snapper called hammour...a reasonable substitute for cod and quite tasty...

What's a bap, please?

Is this better...?

bacon-sandwich.jpg

Bacon roll it is while a slice of " breed" and butter...plain not pan wiz a piece...as in gona flingus wan oot o ra windae...maw...

Could be jeely,jam,banana or wi chips....Crivens help ma Boab.

yeah...and when you find snapper it's quite nice on it's own steamed in a wok with a mixture of soy sauce, mirin (jap cooking vinegar, secret ingredient) spring onions and fresh ginger...my wife useta love it when we could get all the ingredients in Abu Dhabi and I'd say: 'not bad for a white boy/falang?'...

Edited by tutsiwarrior