Grammy Terminates Sek Loso's Contract

webfact

Grammy terminates Sek Loso's contract

Kitchana Lersakvanitchakul,

Veena Thoopkrajae

The Nation

30172341-01_big.jpg

Just a day after Sek Loso broke his silence about his damaging drug scandal, he learned that his contract with the GMM Grammy music label had been terminated.

The company's senior executive vice president Krij Thomas officially told the press yesterday that GMM Grammy had terminated its contract with Seksai "Sek" Sukpimai. The termination of the contract, which still had three years to go, marks the end of a 16-year relationship between the musician and the music label.

GMM Grammy held an urgent press conference yesterday after Sek admitted in an interview on Monday that he had indeed used drugs.

Krij said his company had strict regulations in terms of drug abuse. "From now on, he is no longer a Grammy member, and after this, it is between him and the Office of Narcotics Control Board."

The executive, who was a former musician and songwriter in the 1980s, said that Grammy had told all its artists about the company's drug-free policy.

Seksan has been with Grammy since his band Loso's first album, "Lo Society", debuted in 1996. The band broke up in 2003 and the musician came up with two solo albums: "7 August" in 2003 and "Black & White" in 2006.

However, now that his contract with Grammy has been terminated, the company will not be promoting his latest single "Sek Love Song", though he will still continue earning from his music copyright, which covers songwriting, producing, singing and arrangement.

In the interview at home on Monday night, Sek also said that Grammy owed him an apology, though he did not elaborate. He also told reporters about instances of him being stalked and his phone being tapped.

Krij dismissed Sek's claims, saying: "We aren't that kind of the company. He might have imagined it himself." When reporters asked the Grammy executive if the firm would at least apologise, he said Sek should speak to the firm directly.

The "Sek scandal" started about two weeks ago in what looked like dirty laundry being washed in public when his ex-wife posted a picture of him using drugs on her Facebook page. The image then started getting widely circulated on social media, though neither Grammy nor the artist reacted to the news.

The music company had said earlier that it had tried contacting the artist. But that didn't happen, and Sek agreed to an interview, which sparked another round of controversies. Apparently both parties have yet to meet face to face.

In his interview, Sek admitted that he did use drugs and confirmed that the photograph posted by his former wife was him, though he was not aware that she had taken photographs of him while they were on holiday in Prague.

"As an artist, I must use [drugs] but I strongly believe I can manage it," he said, though he was quick to advise young people and his fans to pick his better qualities and not use drugs.

"I am strong and that is why I can handle it," Sek said, as he tried justifying his drug use by naming some foreign artists who are also allegedly drug users.

Though he would not be tied down to promising that he would go for rehabilitation, Sek did vaguely mention that he would handle the problem himself. He also said he would never lead an anti-drugs campaign, as it would not be suitable.

The artist also admitted that his former wife's claim of domestic violence was true and said he never wanted to divorce the mother of three until she pleaded for the third time. "I believe I can handle my family problems and from now on I will take good care of my family."

Despite his damaging scandal, some fans are still providing support on Sek's Facebook page, yet many are also slamming him for his behaviour.

Young artists, in particular, are worried that Sek's comments linking the music industry with drug abuse might damage their reputations.

Such a blanket notion is not good as people might assume we [the artists] depend on drugs to produce works," Thai violinist Paye Srinarong tweeted.

Singer/dermatologist Smith Arayaskul also tweeted: "Drugs are never needed by anybody and there is no such thing as 'we can use drugs and control it'."

Singer Yong Armchair said a genuine artist can get a high without using drugs.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-21

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it most of the best songs of the past 40 plus years were written by folks who were more than likely ripped to the tits at the time. Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Brian Wilson etc.

Today what have we got? Justin Bleedin' Bieber.

To paraphrase comedian Denis Leary " The Beatles must have been high. They even let Ringo sing on a couple of songs."

( This post is a bit tongue in cheek )

Let's face it most of the best songs of the past 40 plus years were written by folks who were more than likely ripped to the tits at the time. Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Brian Wilson etc.

To paraphrase comedian Denis Leary " The Beatles must have been high. They even let Ringo sing on a couple of songs."

Only the last bit.

Only the last bit.

Yeah I know W/B I'm just covering my arse so it doesn't become a "So you advocate drug use" multi-page slagfest. :D

I salute Khun Sek, speaking truth to power.

Couldnt agree more.

Stick it to the man.......thats where the great music of our time came from, sticking it to the man.

The only problem for Sek now is Thai style business where an independent label cannot distribute product, remembering that a big % of this country is still using physical product rather than online distribution. Watch Sek's music disappear from stores as Grammy plays the heavy and extracts its revenge.

Sek said today he is moving back to his house in England for a while.

I have seen him play twice, once was outdoors in Hua Hin earlier this year, he came on at 5:30am after waiting for 10 shit bands to finish. I wish him all the best and believe everything will work out. It might actually be a blessing what has happened, what is next for Grammy to drug test their musicians ? Screw Bird and that stuck up crap label anyway.

Sek you rock, and anyone that has seen him live will agree, his fans love him because he is real, not some poser like half of the dorks in the business now...

Sek said today he is moving back to his house in England for a while.

I have seen him play twice, once was outdoors in Hua Hin earlier this year, he came on at 5:30am after waiting for 10 shit bands to finish. I wish him all the best and believe everything will work out. It might actually be a blessing what has happened, what is next for Grammy to drug test their musicians ? Screw Bird and that stuck up crap label anyway.

Sek you rock, and anyone that has seen him live will agree, his fans love him because he is real, not some poser like half of the dorks in the business now...

thumbsup.gif

This guy is stupid. All he had to do was just go on air and say he has a problem and look apologetic. Shed a few crocodiles tears and blame the wife beatings on the drugs and then say he'll go into rehab or something. I mean this works for American celebs and politicians. Here, the Thai people will just eat it up and forgive him, no questions asked. Instead, he says he is strong and can control the drugs and disses his own label. Stupidity can't be forgiven.

Sek Loso is a wife beater and a yaabaa user.

I lose respect for people when learning facts like these, especially for men that beat women in front of kids.

The moment we base our judgements on the 'he said / she said',

public pronouncements of a nasty divorce, we lose credibility also.

I've seen the nicest and calmest of men attacked by enraged wives,

in front of the kids, who then tripped, fell down, injured themselves and blamed him, longly and loudly, because they had a bruise to show and were mad as a wet hen. Thai women can fly off the handle as easily as western women.

Even though witnesses said this is not how it happened, domestic disputes rarely

ever show the truth to the outside world. So we rarely can base accurate judgments on them.

I've met him a few times, and for a rock n rol icon he's pretty dam_n mellow.

Edited by animatic

This guy is stupid. All he had to do was just go on air and say he has a problem and look apologetic. Shed a few crocodiles tears and blame the wife beatings on the drugs and then say he'll go into rehab or something. I mean this works for American celebs and politicians. Here, the Thai people will just eat it up and forgive him, no questions asked. Instead, he says he is strong and can control the drugs and disses his own label. Stupidity can't be forgiven.

Apparently it was a picture taken in Prague showing him using drugs that did him in.

With drug use being decriminalized in the Czech Republic he didn’t do anything wrong so he could have downplayed things a bit from that perspective.

Going by the comments he made later he's doing a good job of shooting himself in the feet.

Sek Loso is a wife beater and a yaabaa user.

I lose respect for people when learning facts like these, especially for men that beat women in front of kids.

The moment we base our judgements on the 'he said / she said',

public pronouncements of a nasty divorce, we lose credibility also.

I've seen the nicest and calmest of men attacked by enraged wives,

in front of the kids, who then tripped, fell down, injured themselves and blamed him, longly and loudly, because they had a bruise to show and were mad as a wet hen. Thai women can fly off the handle as easily as western women.

Even though witnesses said this is not how it happened, domestic disputes rarely

ever show the truth to the outside world. So we rarely can base accurate judgments on them.

I've met him a few times, and for a rock n rol icon he's pretty dam_n mellow.

There's photos of him smoking methamphetamine all over the internet.

He's an acknowledged wife beater and drug user.

End of story.

Apparently it was a picture taken in Prague showing him using drugs that did him in.

With drug use being decriminalized in the Czech Republic he didn't do anything wrong so he could have downplayed things a bit from that perspective.

Going by the comments he made later he's doing a good job of shooting himself in the feet.

He was photographed smoking a meth pipe.

I don't give a shit if he's a junkie, it's the beating his wife in front of kids that I find unpalatable.

Good role model for the Thai youth right enough, what with the massive methamphetamine problem the region faces.

With drug use being decriminalized in the Czech Republic he didn't do anything wrong so he could have downplayed things a bit from that perspective.

I don't give a shit if he's a junkie, it's the beating his wife in front of kids that I find unpalatable.

I agree.

Drugs and Music?

Rolling Stones

Beatles

David Bowie

Elvis Presley

Elton John

etc etc etc

And if they didn't die first they are all better sober than messed up on drugs. Other not straight bands like Rush and Areosmith know about being straight as well. You don't have to get high or drunk to write good/great music.

What an ODD story and saga...

The guy must have a death wish for his music career... because everything he's done post the photo emerging has been pretty much wrong.

He may know music, but he sure doesn't know how to handle his affairs. What did he think was going to happen after making such a public proclamation in Thailand?

Drugs and Music?

Rolling Stones

Beatles

David Bowie

Elvis Presley

Elton John

etc etc etc

And if they didn't die first they are all better sober than messed up on drugs. Other not straight bands like Rush and Areosmith know about being straight as well. You don't have to get high or drunk to write good/great music.

Rush and Areosmith? No wonder why I dislike their music. Lack of imagination.

Whether you dislike what he says, does or his music, apparently he is telling the truth. For me his honesty on this issue is a refreshing change from the usual lies that fill the tabloids in Thailand and other countries. I don't agree with spouse abuse, but he is a great musician in my opinion.