Magic Jack Plus

BangkokImages

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know where you might buy a Magic Jack Plus in Bangkok?

This website lists a bunch of locations for MagicJack...maybe they are also now selling the Plus model. Link

In the link it says available at all 26 Office Depot locations in Bangkok. Well I went to the Office Depot in Bang Yai, Bangkok today (part of the Big C Extra mall) and they don't carry MagicJack. I looked around their store...didn't see any...I then asked two customer service reps (one spoke good English) and they said they don't have any...they didn't act like the store ever carried it. I also didn't see it listed on the Office Depot Thailand website either. So, above link may be way out of date, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by Pib

Does anyone know where you might buy a Magic Jack Plus in Bangkok?

This website lists a bunch of locations for MagicJack...maybe they are also now selling the Plus model. Link

There is no answer at either the phone number or fax number shown for Wolfcom Enterprises at the bottom of that link. I guess it could be that they don't work on Saturday though. I'll try again Monday.

I was kind of afraid of that... either that the info there might be obsolete or at least not up-to-date.

I'm pretty sure I've seen other posts here saying they'd seen MJ units in shops at Pantip Plaza...

Or, another possibility, that same website listed a couple different shops at FortuneTown IT at the Rama IX MRT station. Could make a visit there and stop by the different shops listed on the website, if they're still around. (Been a lot of remodeling and relocating going on lately at FortuneTown IT).

Or, if someone has access to a mail forwarding service, use that to have MJ ship the unit to the U.S. and then have it forwarded on to Thailand. As mentioned above, they send out the units in a relatively small padded-type envelope (not some big box) so the shipping would be relatively minimal.

This is an older thread but there have been many mentions of people being able to buy a MJ- here in the past...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/290974-where-can-i-buy-magicjack-in-thailand/page__p__3173913__hl__magicjack__fromsearch__1#entry3173913

My vaguest recollection is that a significantly high percentage of Thailand-based MJ users posting here on TV have a positive to very positive experience using MJ. I've been using it for 4+ years and am very satisfied, having worked in the VoIP area (both hardware and service provider) I understand the limitations. I can't justify a 'real' VoIP service provider, which would be ~ 10/12x the annual cost of MJ. Call quality is at least equal to mobile originated calls, which for most calls to the U.S. are using DTAC 004, (LD transport over over VoIP). Having a U.S. number, matching up with my 'virtual' address, in my hometown, is a plus, as is getting voicemails via email.

In the U.S. I've seen MJs in Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Radio Shack. I keep meaning to pick another one up, just to have as a back-up. I like the original MJ so plan to get another one on a trip back next month. Maybe eBay where they are ~ $30 Buy it Now with free shipping (and no sales tax).

Ebay has plenty of the original MJ and MJ+ as I've been looking over the last few days. But on Ebay for the MJ+ , it's approx $65 (free shipping to a U.S. address) is about the cheapest. I've asked my sister to take a look for the MJ+ on her next visit to Walmart...I expect it's running right around the $69 retail price.

Ebay has plenty of the original MJ and MJ+ as I've been looking over the last few days. But on Ebay for the MJ+ , it's approx $65 (free shipping to a U.S. address) is about the cheapest. I've asked my sister to take a look for the MJ+ on her next visit to Walmart...I expect it's running right around the $69 retail price.

I decided to checkout Walmart.com website to see if they had any MJ+'s and they didn't. But they are selling a competing product called NetTalkDuo for $49.95 which includes 1 yr free calls. Looks and works like a MagicJackPlus. Here's the NetTalkDuo website: Link

I need to research this NetTalkDuo some more...they even got support you talk to on a phone.

Pib, I posted on NetTalk Duo earlier in this thread... It does indeed look very similar to MJ and, after a Christmas time price cut, is selling for just about an identical price.

One difference, though, is I've seen and can recall almost no mention of anyone here using the service, for whatever reason. I do believe it's a newer-comer to the field compared to MJ, so that may be part of the explanation.

Pib, I posted on NetTalk Duo earlier in this thread... It does indeed look very similar to MJ and, after a Christmas time price cut, is selling for just about an identical price.

One difference, though, is I've seen and can recall almost no mention of anyone here using the service, for whatever reason. I do believe it's a newer-comer to the field compared to MJ, so that may be part of the explanation.

John, You sure did...post #18...good post...I either missed that post or forgot (more brain cells die off every day due to Chang beer). According to the Walmart site they are still selling the NetTalkDuo online and at stores for $49.99.

Here's another link that gives some more comparisons on MagicJackPlus and NetTalkDuo. Link

From looking at the NetTalk website I couldn't see anywhere that they identified what area codes/prefix codes they offer. I just may call them a little later (they even have live support on Saturdays) to see if anyone answers and can tell me if they have the area code 276 "and certain prefix codes" within that area code that would make calls to me free for family/friends in particular area of the country. But before I do that I'm going to the frig, get another Chang beer, and kill off a few more brain cells.

From the various reviews I read and posted on earlier, it seemed one of the major reasons why several of the major publications preferred NetTalk over MJ was the former's better approach to customer service. I personally have never contacted them, so I can't speak to that personally.

But from my perspective, I want the products I'm using to work well and work as intended and promised. If they do that, as MJ has done, I can put up with and forgive somewhat slipshod customer service. But I'd be a really unhappy camper if the product I bought didn't perform as expected, but the customer service folks were attentive and polite in explaining why...

In other words, I always tend to put performance first when it comes to gadgetry. From the various reviews I read, it seemed the reviewers were saying the NetTalk device performed and functioned just as well as the MJ... It just would be nice to see/hear some body of actual users who are backing that up, prior to deciding on a purchase.

And, how NetTalk deals with area code and exchange number assignments would be another important consideration, because we all want to end up with a phone number that's a local call for those back in the U.S. that we're trying to stay in touch with.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

MJ, for an annual fee of $29.95, (about $2.50 per month) gives the user unlimited calling to any U.S. or Canadian phone numbers from anywhere in the world. The user can make regular phone calls from any regular land-line-type phoneset plugged into a small USB box that plugs into an internet connected computer.

Google Voice allows free U.S. bound calls for U.S. accounts, but not from Thailand Google accounts, as best as I can tell. But to me it seems a bit more complicated involving having to initiate the call from your PC, and then the Google network calling you back on some designated number.

I'm not any expert on Google Voice. But more significantly, I believe you also can't use the Google Voice service with a U.S. account to forward incoming calls to Thailand mobile numbers or Thai landlines (house phones), which really limits how most people would receive such calls here (other than via computer and headset/mic)

Maybe the prior poster or others more familiar with using Google Voice in TH can elaborate.

I've been an original version Magic Jack Version user for 2 years, and I'm very satisfied with it. I used to live in the US, and use it to keep in touch with friends and spend long hours on hold while waiting to talk to banks, etc, which would curl your toes if you were paying for international rates on a normal phone. Plus the international rates to other countries are very cheap so I use it to phone the UK too.

I don't care that it needs to be plugged into my computer to use, as my computer's on all day and this doesn't seem any more inconvenient than plugging it into a router for me. I'm very happy with cost and call quality.

The only thing I wanted to correct was the statement you made about 'unlimited calls'. I think the website does actually say this, but it isn't true, one reason why they have a slightly sleazy reputation.

In fact, if you use it more than a certain amount, your usage is terminated permanently by a script built into the software, and short of buying a new one, there is no means of restoring the service. The thing is that the number of calls that you can make before this happens is not defined, as I think it is dependent on an algorithm like "more than 40 times the average number of calls made by Magic Jack users that month" (I'm making this up because I can't remember the exact details, but it's something similar.)

It's worth a google if you doubt me--I just remember while researching online before purchase coming across a thread about someone who bought one to do a phone selling business, and so used it to make calls all day. His service was terminated automatically and he was told that it could not be restored. I idly followed this up by surfing and there were similar reports by many others too.

I'm not saying this is a serious disadvantage, as the call number to trigger termination must be extremely high, and I am, as I said, a happy customer.

But it is worth being aware of this, as I expect 95% of Magic Jack customers are not.....

Edit to add link: http://tracfoneclub....-50-call-limit/

Seems like they have defined "too many calls" in the Terms of Service now as 50/day--this is not the original thread I was referring to-which was earlier, but it's a start.

Edit again to add previous Terms of Service call limitation: (found it!): whether a violation of the Agreement has occurred or (B) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request. If magicJack sees excessive use, including but not limited to, a customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicJack's customers usage, or systematic or intentional misuse, it reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your use of the magicJack device and/or Software immediately, and you will not be entitled to get a refund of any licensing fee or any other fee you may have paid to us.

Edited by partington

Well...firstly, since you never told us, I had to go to Wikipedia to find out <deleted> a MJ actually did !

Looks like is a handy gadget if you call North America a LOT.

I do call Canada frequently but not enough to justify MJ VOIP and it's attendant difficulties.

One Two Call 00500 prefix is relatively inexpensive and far more convenient.

...done a lot googling and thought I would post this link ...read the live chat with customer service....like a bloody Monte Python sketchcoffee1.gif

http://www.voipreview.org/review/magicjack

The only thing I wanted to correct was the statement you made about 'unlimited calls'. I think the website does actually say this, but it isn't true, one reason why they have a slightly sleazy reputation.

In fact, if you use it more than a certain amount, your usage is terminated permanently by a script built into the software, and short of buying a new one, there is no means of restoring the service. The thing is that the number of calls that you can make before this happens is not defined, as I think it is dependent on an algorithm like "more than 40 times the average number of calls made by Magic Jack users that month" (I'm making this up because I can't remember the exact details, but it's something similar.)

It's worth a google if you doubt me--I just remember while researching online before purchase coming across a thread about someone who bought one to do a phone selling business, and so used it to make calls all day. His service was terminated automatically and he was told that it could not be restored. I idly followed this up by surfing and there were similar reports by many others too.

I'm not saying this is a serious disadvantage, as the call number to trigger termination must be extremely high, and I am, as I said, a happy customer.

But it is worth being aware of this, as I expect 95% of Magic Jack customers are not.....

I think you'll find that all VoIP service providers have a "Reasonable Use Policy" covering "Inconsistent Use" in their Terms of Use for any/all unlimited service offerings. Now whether MJ's daily or monthly call volume limits (no. of calls, aggregate minutes) is unreasonably low I cannot say. I suspect that unless you are operating some sort of telemarketing business here that an MJ will be acceptable. I've never heard of this being an issue for anyone posting here on TV.

Ya...ditto on that from Loma above...

I can certainly see, and don't find it unreasonable, that any "economy" calling service is going to have some kind of terms of reasonable use limitation.... But I'll also agree, this is the first time I've ever heard or seen any mention of the specific one described above for MJ... So it's good to know no matter what.

I think the bottom line is, if you're a normal residential phone user, it's likely to never be a problem. If you're operating a telemarketing or similar business and trying to do it via MJs, then I can see it would be a problem. And frankly, for the sake of all the regular users who'd expect normal use out of their network, it probably ought to be.

it seems that the very similar NetTalk Duo device and service I mentioned above does already have

mobile apps for Android, IPhone/IPad and Windows Phone...

BTW, to close the loop on this, I did install and try using the NetTalk mobile app on both my Sony Gingerbread phone and my wife's Samsung Galaxy SII Gingerbread phone... I tried mine in regular mode and then using a PPTP VPN connection from the U.S. I tried my wife's phone in just regular local mode -- both over a series of days...

And I never was able to complete a single call to the U.S. using their Android app on either of our phones. Every single call and U.S. number I tried was met with a recording saying something like, "the number you're calling is currently unavailable..."

Hope someone else can have better luck with this than me.... since it's supposed to be absolutely free calling to the U.S.

BTW, when I was calling with their Android app, the dialing format I used for the U.S. numbers I tried was 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx -- just the same as if I was calling from inside the U.S.

From looking at the NetTalk website I couldn't see anywhere that they identified what area codes/prefix codes they offer. I just may call them a little later (they even have live support on Saturdays) to see if anyone answers and can tell me if they have the area code 276 "and certain prefix codes" within that area code that would make calls to me free for family/friends in particular area of the country. But before I do that I'm going to the frig, get another Chang beer, and kill off a few more brain cells.

I did call NetTalk Customer service last night...called right at their Saturday morning opening time of 10am U.S. Eastern Time (10pm Bangkok time), was on hold for exactly 10 minutes (don't know if calling them right at opening time is a good or bad time), when the customer service rep came online I said I was thinking about buying a NetTalkDuo but needed to know if the had area code 276 and what prefix codes they had within that area code which would make calls to me by family/friends in that area free. The rep understood, she looked up the info, and about 15 seconds later came back and identified an available prefix code that would be local.

I then asked her about exactly how is a number picked because I was a little confused from looking at their site/some googling. Some research implied a number comes already assigned (unknown to the customer until activating the NetTalkDue) to the User ID/Password in the NetTalkDuo package and other areas implied you would pick your number based on available area codes and prefix codes during the activation. The customer service rep said the later is correct...you get to pick from the available area and prefix codes but you have no choice over the last 4 numbers assigned which is no problem for me. The two VOIP services I've been with did offer a small choice (like around 5 choices) of the last 4 digits, but those 5 choices were randomly generated. Only being able to pick area and prefix codes is important to me.

Nice to know NetTalk has some customer service you can talk to on the phone; MagicJack don't. And like some have commented already, if having some problem with your MagicJack service trying to reach/deal with their online customer service can be a real pain. I need to research the NetTalkDuo some more as it may be a better choice cost-,service-, and voice quality-wise compared to the MagicJackPlus...Or, my research my prove otherwise. MagicJack was the first to offer this type of device, but other companies like NetTalkDuo who are now selling competing devices may or may not be a better choice. Yeap, more research for me....I'm in no big hurry to buy one one of these devices, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy one of these devices over the coming weeks. I also find it interesting that the largest retail big box store operation in the world, Walmart, does not sell the MajicJack devices but the NetTalk devices--that should help expand NetTalk's customer base fast.

John, You sure did...post #18...good post...I either missed that post or forgot (more brain cells die off every day due to Chang beer). According to the Walmart site they are still selling the NetTalkDuo online and at stores for $49.99.

Here's another link that gives some more comparisons on MagicJackPlus and NetTalkDuo. Link

From looking at this NetTalk mid Dec 11 press release it appears the NetTalkDuo price reduction from $69.95 to $49.95 is the new retail price...that's probably why Walmart is still selling it for $49.99 (guess Walmart upped the price by 4 cents)...maybe this price reduction and NetTalk's customer support via phone call will drive MagicJackPlus to lower their retail price from $69.95 and start some customer support via phone call....competition should be a good thing here.

And for those folks wanting to call Thailand phone numbers the NetTalk and MagicJack rates per minute are 5.5 cents and 10 cents, respectively. These rates to Thailand may be a consideration when deciding between the MJ and NT devices. Just FYI.

Ya, the SipGate solution another member posted earlier in this thread had Thailand rates of about 3 cents per minute, or about 1 baht...

At those rate, if they service wasn't unavailable at present for new subscribers, it would be just about as economical as most Thai mobile service plans.

I'd like to use MJ for Thailand calling as well...but 10 cents (3+ baht) a minute ain't a good deal.

Just my 2 cents. I got my MJ a few years ago in the US along with another 5 years of subscription for $69.95. I think in November last year they emailed me to get the new one ($49.95, I think), with another 5 years added for $69.95 and they gave me 4 days to consider it. I hate their customer support but after the live chat and said what about the almost 3 years left on my old MJ, I do not need both? They said sorry, but the old subscription will not apply to the new one but would stay with the old one. So I would kinda lose those other 3 years not needing the old MJ. Declined the new MJ offer and will use the old one until Nov 2014 and thought it was poor support for a long term customer.

And for those folks wanting to call Thailand phone numbers the NetTalk and MagicJack rates per minute are 5.5 cents and 10 cents, respectively. These rates to Thailand may be a consideration when deciding between the MJ and NT devices. Just FYI.

Maybe I'm missing something but when I am in the U.S. I use a calling card to call back to Thailand. I pay $0.026/minute (2.6 U.S. Cents per minute). I can use MJ for the free 8xx call for the calling card access, or my mobile phone. I pay $2/day for unlimited voice, text and 2G data with pre-paid T-Mobile.

Ya...ditto on that from Loma above...

I can certainly see, and don't find it unreasonable, that any "economy" calling service is going to have some kind of terms of reasonable use limitation.... But I'll also agree, this is the first time I've ever heard or seen any mention of the specific one described above for MJ... So it's good to know no matter what.

I think the bottom line is, if you're a normal residential phone user, it's likely to never be a problem. If you're operating a telemarketing or similar business and trying to do it via MJs, then I can see it would be a problem. And frankly, for the sake of all the regular users who'd expect normal use out of their network, it probably ought to be.

No absolutely true and I actually said in my post that it wasn't a serious disadvantage. As I've said, I like MagicJack and will continue to use it.

My problem with this, and with other companies too, is the principle that it seems to be completely acceptable nowadays to advertise a service (internet , phone service and so on) as "unlimited", and then find that it is not unlimited at all.

I don't find this acceptable marketing. I'm not questioning, you understand, the need or the desirability to limit the service, because I accept that in most cases. I am questioning the policy that allows limited services to be called 'unlimited' on advertising without fear of prosecution.

I don't really feel that arguments like you can't expect unlimited usage 'at that sort of price' or with the 'oversubscription of internet connections' and so on, however true, excuse this behaviour. You shouldn't have to work out that a claim by a company is actually untrue: they shouldn't be allowed to make it.

'Nearly unlimited' would be truthful and alert potential customers to actually look up the limitations before buying.

I suppose I'm complaining/asking: why are they (and companies like them) allowed to lie?

Maybe I'm missing something but when I am in the U.S. I use a calling card to call back to Thailand. I pay $0.026/minute (2.6 U.S. Cents per minute). I can use MJ for the free 8xx call for the calling card access, or my mobile phone. I pay $2/day for unlimited voice, text and 2G data with pre-paid T-Mobile.

Sure there are other cheap calling services/methods to Thailand...but if a person is going to buy one of these MagicJack or TalkNet devices and only use that device for his long distance calling versus using calling cards, smart phones, monthly fee VOIP services, etc.,, the TalkNet device Thailand rates are pretty good and around half of MJ's rates. Guess it all depends on what telecommunications services an individual wants to juggle. Cheers.

My problem with this, and with other companies too, is the principle that it seems to be completely acceptable nowadays to advertise a service (internet , phone service and so on) as "unlimited", and then find that it is not unlimited at all.

I don't find this acceptable marketing.

Where does Magicjack say that the service includes unlimited calling or usage? I'm not saying they may not be making this claim somewhere, but I couldn't find it in a cursory review of their website.

Maybe this is something you mistakenly inferred only to later be so incensed?

Sure there are other cheap calling services/methods to Thailand...but if a person is going to buy one of these MagicJack or TalkNet devices and only use that device for his long distance calling versus using calling cards, smart phones, monthly fee VOIP services, etc.,, the TalkNet device Thailand rates are pretty good and around half of MJ's rates. Guess it all depends on what telecommunications services an individual wants to juggle. Cheers.

I already have a calling card; have used it for years. Managing yet another international calling arrangement with TalkNet or MJ seems much more difficult than managing a simple calling card? Obviously you can use a calling card from any phone, anywhere and not have to be tied down to your NT/MJ device with an internet connection. A HUGE value add in my experience.

Edited by lomatopo

Be interesting to see where you end up with your outcome and decision, Pib...

I'm sure you'll let us know here!!! biggrin.png

As it turns out I should be able to do that in a few weeks as I have a friend passing through Thailand in a couple of weeks and he's going to do a Walmart run and pickup a NetTalkDuo for me.

Where does Magicjack say that the service includes unlimited calling or usage? I'm not saying they may not be making this claim somewhere, but I couldn't find it in a cursory review of their website.

I actually sound a bit different when I'm incensed mellow.png , I'd prefer to call this tone "lofty disappointment".

It's true the website doesn't use the word "unlimited" currently, just says "make all the free calls you please". Maybe it was always like this, but I have a strong feeling it was on there once, without being able to prove it of course.

TallGuyJohninBKK was also under the same impression as me as he used the term 'unlmited' in several different posts to describe the MagicJack service.

Maybe this comes from the fact that nearly every online review of MagicJack, e.g. cnet.com, uses this term (admittedly MagicJack can't be held responsible for this) , and it seeps into your consciousness without being aware of it...

cheers

I actually sound a bit different when I'm incensed mellow.png , I'd prefer to call this tone "lofty disappointment".

It's true the website doesn't use the word "unlimited" currently, just says "make all the free calls you please". Maybe it was always like this, but I have a strong feeling it was on there once, without being able to prove it of course.

TallGuyJohninBKK was also under the same impression as me as he used the term 'unlmited' in several different posts to describe the MagicJack service.

Maybe this comes from the fact that nearly every online review of MagicJack, e.g. cnet.com, uses this term (admittedly MagicJack can't be held responsible for this) , and it seeps into your consciousness without being aware of it...

cheers

OK, so the fact of the matter is that you are mistaken in your understanding of MJ's claims of "unlimited usage", and your subsequent "lofty disappointment" is misplaced. Nice back-pedaling, use of mixed metaphors and the touch of the oxymoronic. Well played, sir. :rolleyes:

In their Q&A area where below image appears. They imply unlimited calling/usage with their free trial offer where they say, "Use our Phone Service for Free, Make all the free calls you please." The trial offer is that first 30 days of MagicJack use until they charge your credit card for the buy. But their TOS does identify limitations...hard for me to see how these limitations would be exceeded unless using the phone for many, many calls during the day or l....o.....n.....g calls. But I have seen numerous blogs posts regarding MagicJack where calls seem to cutoff at the 90 minute point...could be MagicJack terminating the call (their TOS does mention something about long/possibly abandoned connections), could just be a funky internet connection, could be some callers just talk too long, or could be posters just making-up a gripe.

post-55970-0-57331400-1331473529_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

• 4 weeks later...

Be interesting to see where you end up with your outcome and decision, Pib...

I'm sure you'll let us know here!!! biggrin.png

As it turns out I should be able to do that in a few weeks as I have a friend passing through Thailand in a couple of weeks and he's going to do a Walmart run and pickup a NetTalkDuo for me.

I got the NetTalkDuo today, activated it, and got a U.S. area & prefix code which makes it free for certain family/friends to call me. I'm happy with the number issued. You do not get choice in the last 4 digits of the phone number; only the area and prefix codes. I did this online before even hooking up the NetTalkDuo to my router, computer, or anything. There is a User ID and Password that comes in the box to activate the account...you logon, select a new User ID & Password, enter your information, select your number, and then you can hookup the NetTalkDuo to let it register with the NetTalk system.

The USB style power adapter that comes with the NetTalkDuo is a 100-240V, 50-60Hz adapter....nothing special about the power adapter which has a USB output port which hooks to a separate cable which hooks up to the NetTalkDuo...if the power adapter ever died you could buy one almost anywhere for 50 to 100 baht....it's just a power adapter than provides an output of 5VDC via a USB port output just like a USB port on your computer.

After activating my account and getting my number issued, I hooked the NetTalkDuo to my True DOCSIS/cable Wifi router (I'm on a 20Mb/2Mb plan) here in Bangkok, my cordless phone, and the power adapter (all required cables included in the box). You only need a 128Kb of bandwidth to use the NetTalkDuo; just like all VOIP-type devices....but of course, it needs to be a steady, consistent flow 128Kb bandwidth. The instructions said it could take up to a minute for the registration process to complete and then a ring-back to your phone would occur to confirm the registration process is complete. After a few minutes it still had not registered, no dial tone, no ring-back, had a blinking green and orange light when it should have been a solid green. I looked in my router setup and it showed an IP address had been issued to the NetTalkDuo, and the NetTalkDuo seemed to be talking to the internet. So, I turned my router and NetTalkDuo off, rebooted both, the registration process started again, but after a few minutes still the blinking green and orange light and no ring back. Had to go downstairs for something, but about 5 minutes later I heard a ring-back. Picked up the cordless phone and I had a dial tone...and now there was a solid green light on the NetTalkDuo. I guess the initial registration process just took longer than advertised in the instructions...or just some squirrelly internet thing occurred. But since then, which has only been about 8 hours, the NetTalkDuo has been working fine.

Have made about a half dozen calls to different numbers in Hawaii and the U.S. East Coast....calls went through no problem and the calls were clear...just like the person was across the soi. A relative called me from the East Coast and the call was clear. Had the relative test the VoiceMail function by calling from her landline....she said she heard it ring 4 times before the VoiceMail picked up...I heard 6 rings on my end....she left the VoiceMail...and I immediately got an email with voice wav file attached. You can also logon onto your account where the VoiceMails can be replayed. Apparently you cannot dialup your VoiceMail or enter your own VoiceMail welcome message, which I think you can with MagicJackPlus.

I bought my new TalkTalkDuo off Ebay for $44 (free shipping to a U.S. address) although I had it delivered by a friend passing through Bangkok. The new regular retail price since approx Dec 2011 is $49.95, which comes with a 12 months subscription. If you google the NetTalkDuo for reviews you will probably see the old $69.95 retail price mentioned in the reviews. When it's time to renew you can renew for 1, 2 or 3 years...the longer you renew the cheaper it gets from $2.50/month for a 1 year subscription to $2.17/month for a 3 year subscription. Calls to Thailand (including mobile numbers) is 5.5 cents/minute and you can also subscribe to an International Plan which includes 63 countries (it includes Thailand) for $120/year which equates to $10/month. So, if a person was living in or outside the U.S. and needed to make a lot of calls to Thailand, signed up for the yearly subscription for the basic U.S. plan and International Add-on plan, he would have unlimited calls to Thailand for $12.50/month. Or, he can just add so many dollar credits to his NetTalkDuo account and pay the 5.5 cents/minute until the credit runs out. And I won't even get into the conversation of what unlimited minutes really turns out to be...it's whatever NetTalk considers normal residential use just like MagicJack. See thumbnails below for the subscription/renewal prices I mentioned above.

So far, so good...just wanted to give some quick feedback that I'm up and running with my NetTalkDuo here in Bangkok and calls to/from the U.S. go through fine and are clear. Will give some more feedback once I have used the NetTalkDuo some more…since it came with a year’s subscription I'll definitely be using it. Cheers.

post-55970-0-37695400-1333640448_thumb.j

post-55970-0-00728400-1333640463_thumb.j