Magic Jack Plus

BangkokImages

...does Facebook and everything else via her Samsung Galaxy SII phone and its 4+ in screen -- while she's laying in bed.

John,

Gosh, this is getting kinda kinky...maybe you should take her smartphone away from her. wink.png

Pib

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely you know already Pib... never try to separate a Thai woman from her mobile phone...and these days...smartphone. It's impossible. tongue.png

Ahh...I forgot to mention, with the right phones... front and rear facing video cameras recording in HD at 30 fps. Even group video conferencing if you really want to get kinky...cheesy.gif

GrooveIP Lite is another free Android app I've been using that connects to one's Google Voice account, and allows you to make free calls from your Android mobile on a Wifi connection to any phone in the U.S. and Canada. There's a free Lite version and then a paid app version as well. The paid version supposedly adds support for use with mobile data networks, not just Wifi.

https://play.google....y5ncm9vdmVpcCJd

GrooVe IP + Google Voice is brilliant. Not sure why I need my MagicJack anymore? ( I got a Google Voice number, again in my old area code and local exchange, years ago. It is close to my MJ number.)

(To enable incoming calls I had to log in to Google Voice and forward all calls to Google Chat.)

I am going to get the paid version of GrooVe IP.

Re GrooveIP Lite, I've used it and tested it some here with my Android smartphone, and it worked fine for the handful of outbound test calls I made to the U.S. I was making those from home using my home Wifi for the internet connection on my mobile phone.

I haven't even looked as yet as to whether it also handles incoming calls or in what fashion... since I've long used my MJ and associated phone number for that...

Call me old-fashioned, but when I'm calling to the U.S. for business stuff from home, I like to be able to cradle a traditional phone on my shoulder while talking and keep both of my hands free...instead of trying to juggle my small mobile phone or having to put it on speakerphone setting.

I'm still holding out for a MJ Android app... But until then, it's nice to have alternatives.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

lamatopo & John,

That GrooveIP and Google Voice combo sounds like a good approach as a backup to a MagicJack-type device approach....I only say "good" since John said he had some calling issues with the GrooveIP/GoogleVoice approach and lamatopo says it's brilliant...so, I guess for now that averages out to only good in my initial opinion/until I get more info.

I agree with John in terms being able to just grab a traditional phone in the house and for anyone to easily make or receive a call with close to 100% assurance of completing the call (as long as the internet is up) is hard to beat, especially if the service only costs around $2.50/B75 per month. Of course if you could get an equally reliable capability via smartphone that would be just as good, maybe better since the smartphone can easily follow you around anywhere in your pocket where a traditional phone can't follow you to far out of your house.

lamatopo, I sure would like to hear some more about why you rate the service "brilliant?" I mean do outbound and inbound States-side calls to/from landlines or cell numbers occur pretty much problem free?

John and lamtopo, Regarding the use of these VOIP-type apps on your smartphones, do you pretty much have to have 3G/Wifi speed to get them to work since 2G/Edge speeds are only in the 100Kb-200Kb ballpark with high ping times. It's my understanding a person needs around 128Kb of upload/download speed with low to medium ping times (say under 400ms) to make a VOIP connection work worth a durn. Since 3G coverage is still limited pretty much to the major cities in Thailand, a Smartphone VOIP approach probably wouldn't work very good for anyone living outside of a 3G coverage area. Heck, I live in western Bangkok real close to the #9 Outer Ring Rd/Kanchanaphisek Rd and all the 3G covarage maps I've seen by AIS/DTAC/True/etc., show the 3G coverage supposedly barely reaches/goes just a little beyond the OuterRing Rd on the western side of Bangkok. And when I was using a AIS 3G/Edge Aircard and had one month unlimited 3G/Edge plan to go along with the Aircard I never could pickup a 3G signal but picked up the Edge signal no problem. I guess what I'm saying when you live on the edge of supposedly 3G coverage area the signal actually may not be there or just too weak regardless of the coverage maps used for advertisement purposes. Guess I can ask some of my Thai neighbors who I think may have 3G plans, but I hardly ever see them because they are always seem to be working.

Cheers,

Pib

lamatopo & John,

That GrooveIP and Google Voice combo sounds like a good approach as a backup to a MagicJack-type device approach....I only say "good" since John said he had some calling issues with the GrooveIP/GoogleVoice approach and lamatopo says it's brilliant...so, I guess for now that averages out to only good in my initial opinion/until I get more info.

Pib... have you been drinking too much of that nasty Chang stuff again??? sick.gif

AFAIK re GrooveIP, I didn't say I'd had any calling issues at all with it. It had worked just fine for me with outbound calls to the U.S.

I only noted that I hadn't really tried or explored or even learned what it's capabilities are for inbound calls. That's not me having any problems with the app... Just saying I hadn't tried or used that other aspect of that app as yet.

I had previously said here that I'd tried the NetTalk Android app and could never get it to make a single successful call to the U.S. via my Android phone after trying repeatedly for a couple weeks.. So I ended up uninstalling the NetTalk app.

Then, as for your other question about wifi vs. 3G or GPRS...

All of my calling to the U.S. via various Android apps on my mobile phone has been using my house wifi.. I haven't tried any U.S. calls on 3G or GPRS/Edge.

However, my wife and I have had voice calls via our two mobile phones here in BKK using Skype and Viber and a couple other Android apps -- she using AIS EDGE (not 3G) and me using my home Wifi...

In that configuration, we could make decent but not great voice calls together via the data networks instead of using our GSM calling minutes. The voice calls might well have been better, but the wife works in a hospital and we sometimes have reception issues there because of the thick and reinforced walls in the building.

We actually also could make a video call connection too in that mode, though in that mode I pretty much couldn't hear her voice at all and only saw a still video image instead of anything moving -- not unexpected since GPRS/EDGE isn't going to support video calls in any good kind of way.

Pib,

Thanks for your response.

I like Google Voice. Calling, and receiving calls, works well on my desktop and netbook. Using VPN initially. Accessing the "Call Phone" icon from my open Gmail account. And, Google Voice set to Chat. I've spent time with the different Google Voice settings (speakers, USB attached phone,etc). As, you did with perfecting the correct settings for your calls.

So, going forward, the Obihai device would seem to be a good fit for me.

But, to frame some of my concerns about VOIP and SIP setups, I spent several hours with a friend's Google Voice problem in the US. He had allowed his cell phone provider to port his Google Voice number. But, his Google Voice number never worked again. Long story. And, eventually, Google reclaimed the number.

So, as you can guess, I want to be a bit careful about losing a long-time phone number while setting up a Obihai device.

It appears that the Obihai devices are available on Amazon and Fry's. Although, I've not seen them on eBay.

So, time for me to read more technical information and feedback about these devices. I'm also curious as to why only Obihai has offered the Google Voice setup option.

Cheers

lamatopo, I sure would like to hear some more about why you rate the service "brilliant?" I mean do outbound and inbound States-side calls to/from landlines or cell numbers occur pretty much problem free?

Yes. Google Voice has a lot of advantages and features - some actually better than MJ like speech to text VM, and in-bound SMS (used for OTPs for example) - but until now I've only really used it when I was back in the U.S. Now with this Android front-end I can use it everywhere. I have a Google Voice telephone number with my old area code and local exchange so I may transition my contacts from MJ to GV. The portability is obviously key; who wants to be glued to a traditional telephone set on a 45 minute CS call? I paid for the GrooVe IP app, $4.99 so that I can use it over 3G. No bandwidth problems for me on 3G ;) As mentioned, you need to set forward all calls, in Google Voice, to Google Chat to enable in-bound calls.

post-9615-0-71655000-1335247776_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-44317500-1335247788_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-34845700-1335248024_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I installed GrooVe IP on my Samsung Tab 10.1 (Wifi only model) and can confirm that it works brilliantly. It is way cool to be able to make and receive free calls with the U.S. on a tablet. Obviously not something I can do with my MJ.

post-9615-0-59246100-1335252600_thumb.jp

I will check this GrooVe IP add out. Free is Free and if the quality is acceptable or greater, then it's not so bad. I assume that the caller ID will show up as unknown number?

I still say having a paid VOIP of some kind on standby is important. The free varieties can go down at anytime. You can have callcentric for free, and just pay as you go for each call, as as long as the internet is decent, the call quality is excellent.

lamatopo, John, and TwentyBaht, Thanks for the clarifications and additional info....made me a little smarter and I need all the smarts I can get. I will also study it more over a Chang beer. Cheers, Pib

Edited by Pib

Following up on my use of GrooVe IP and Google Voice: I find myself using my magicJack a lot less these days, and my Android phone with GrooVe IP/Google Voice for most of my calls to the U.S. The call completion rate is 100%, call quality is good, no delay, no far-end echo. The flexibility and portability (I purchased the paid version of GrooVe IP for $4.99 which enables calling over 3G.) are huge advantages; I can make calls from anywhere without the need to be at home tied to a PC/internet connection. And the additional features (origination of SMSes, reception of SMSes; brilliant for OTPs for example, speech to text voice-mail) of Google Voice make this a much more comprehensive solution for my application requirements.

lamatopo,

That's good to hear. Seems the MagicJack-type devices have some real competition now if using a Smartphone. I'm still living in the world of a using a non-smartphone (i.e., the 2G world)...but maybe the wife and I will get buy some smartphones for our Christmas gifts. tongue.png

^ This app. works fine on WiFi, in case that got lost, and I assume you have access to WiFi, but based on my vague understanding of your location, you probably have 3G available now from DTAC, AIS, TrueMove H, CAT, TOT, et al.?

I live in western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan) pretty close to the Outer Ring/#9/Kanchanaphisek Rd. Personally, I don't have any 3G device like a smartphone. Well, I'll take that back...I do have an AIS 3G/Edge Aircard which I used for one month during the flooding and was on a monthly unlimited Edge & 3G plan. I could not get any 3G connection/signal at by Bangkok home but I could get a AIS Edge signal/connection...and I'm in the AIS 3G coverage area for Bangkok as identified by AIS...see this Link. These coverage area maps I take with a big grain of salt expecially if you live on the border area of the coverage map.

But I could get the 3G connection/signal in Nakhon Pathom (a city due west of Bangkok about 35Km) where we were staying most of the time during the peak of the flooding. Mabye the AIS 3G equipment providing coverage in my Bankgok area was flooded out....I don't know. Even after the flood waters had went down the AIS Aircard still didn't reflect a AIS 3G signal in my area (it did show a Edge signal) but my SIM card for the Aircard had expired after the flood water had went away so maybe that had something to do with it.

I expect there is 3G coverage in my Bangkok outskirts area by various service providers, it's just the AIS 3G coverage in my specific area just wasn't working during the flooding late last year.

Edited by Pib

• 2 months later...

I just came across this OBi VoIP ATA which works with Google Voice. As far as I know this is the only ATA which works with GV. So no PC required, and the OBi110 bridges calls between the landline and VoIP and it works with both GV and standard SIP services. So no annual subscription fees like with Magicjack. Time to retire MJ.

http://obihai.com/googlevoice.html

Edited by lomatopo

Good info...Sounds like the OBi VOIP ATA might be something to check into, especially if the service actually maintained a full time connection/interface with GoogleVoice. However, I'm now a little leary of those services that interface with GoogleVoice because of my ongoing experience with the GrooVeIP App....another service which relies on the GoogleVoice service/servers to work. A few weeks ago I finally jumped into the smartphone era when the wife and I bought some Samsung Galaxy Ace II's...Android 2.3.6 based smartphones. We just love them.

One of the first Apps I installed was the GrooVeIP Lite (free version)....the GrooVeIP full version costs approx $5 and basically just adds proximity sensor support, removes ads and activates a few other settngs. Preaching to the choir I know since you use the full GV version. I'll just refer to GrooVeIP as GV from here on out as the icon that appears on your phone screen when running is a solid green circle with GV in the middle.

For the last several weeks GV has worked great for outbound calls here in Bangkok to the U.S....absolutely no problems...no charges....free is good, very good. I've called myself from my GoogleVoice number using the GV frontend to my NetTalkDuo number (a U.S. number) many, many times and to family/friends on the U.S. east coast many times...no problem on outbound calls. Call quality is good...basically cell phone quality. And when I ask my family/friends to immediately call me back as a test the call comes through.

And by the way and to interject something here, the NetTalkDuo service/device (i.e., competitor to MagicJackPlus) I've talked about in this thread is still working fne...no problem with outbound or inbound calls...call quality is good...basically cell phone quality. I have cancelled my other VOIP service which I had for many years...now, if I stick with NetTalkDuo it will cost me an annual renewal cost of $30 for basically unlimited calling to/from U.S. numbers....can't complain about an average $2.50 per month call plan for basially unlimited calling to/from U.S. numbers.

Now back to the GV (GrooVeIP) App regarding inbound calls, the problem I have experienced after trying every phone, Wifi router, and GV setting under the sun, following all the recommendations on the GV support web site, even trying VPN connections, and having about a half-dozen back-and-forth emails with the GV Tech support folks who are very responsive, I just can not get the GV App to consistently respond/ring for inbound calls. What happens is after 5-15minutes, the GV won't respond to inbound calls...sometimes it will continue to respond up to 30 minutes, it made it to 7 hours one time on a non-VPN conneciton, and one time it made it to 22 hours while on a VPN connection....but in the great, great, great majority of cases it stops responding shortly after 5 minutes. I'm convinced it's not a phone power saving issue due to the various times GV worked beyond the 5 minute point...and my power savings have been set to keep the wifi and cpu alive...and when using the GV settings to keep the wifi and/or CPU alive and to even automatically reconnect to GooogleVoice servers every 5 minutes (or less), it doesn't make a difference.

A person can be mislead GV still working proplery because the GV icon is green indicating a connection to GoogleVoice servers, where a red GV icon means it has lost the connection with the GoogleVoice servers...my connection is always green except for those 5 seconds or so when GV initially logs onto my GoogleVoice account or when I turn off the Wifi connection in testing GV...these are times when it should be red. I'm not using a mobile 3G data plan yet so home Wifi is the only way I've used/test GV...maybe it works better using a 3G connection. I'm on a True DOCSIS/cable 20Mb/2Mb internet plan which is very reliable and fast--at least for me--over the past 13 months of having it.

In last night's email from the GV Tech support people they can't figure out what my problem is either, other than to say the incoming notification data packet is apparently getting lost or something in the incoming route is lost/removed from the routing table. As mentioned, they have been very helpful and responsive...several times I got responses within minutes of my email and always no longer than 24 hours.

Over the years in using different VOIP services I had some short term problems like most everyone else...usually poor voice quality or one-way audio, but after calling tech support the problem got fixed within a few days...usually some fixed they did on their end. But I've never had a VOIP problem where my phone would not ring/respond to an inbound call. I expect it's a NAT transversal problem which I think is basially what the GV Tech Support is saying in that the incoming notification data packet is just getting lost.

Oh, well, I'll continue to play with GV Lite, and might even spend $5 on the full GV version just to get the proximity sensor support featue...and definitely use it for outbound calls....to me, having outbound call capability is more important than inbound calls. And I guess people to message me to give them a call. But for now, my the NetTalkDue VOIP service device will remain my main VOIP service.

And to lomatopo, thanks for our PMs back on forth in trying to get my GV Lite to consistently work, since you have been using GV for a while and I guess it has worked good for you to include inbound calls. Seems the great majority of GV users have given good rating to GV but I know the great, great majority of those users are probably in the U.S. on U.S. internet networks. Thanks again for you help---and all the great info you post on ThaiVisa. Cheers.

GrooVeIP continues to work flawlessly for me, first on an SGS1 and now on an SGS2 (both Android 4.3.x), and on my SGTab 10/1/WiFi (Android 3.1). It is an absolutely brilliant application and I now never use my MagicJack. The paid version of GrooVeIP adds 3G functionality which can be especially handy. I experience none of the issues plaguing Pib, and I have several relatives, friends and colleagues using it without any issues.

Google Voice is also incredible. Note that with GV you can receive and reply to standard text messages, handy for OTPs, - obviously you cannot do that with MJ - and the speech to text voice-mail feature can be handy as well, another feature not supported with MJ.

I plan to get the OBi 110 on my next trip as I plan to transition away from MJ to GV. I was able to get a GV number with the same area code and local exchange as my previous home fixed line (last four digits were different but you can now port in to GV, perhaps handy for anyone moving to Thailand?), as I was for my MJ number.

Edited by lomatopo

Yea, me to on the GoogleVoice number...got a local number where the bulk of my family and high school friends still live....from them to me here in Bangkok it's just a local call for them...and of course a local call for me.

I got GoogleVoice setup to ring my NetTalkDuo service/number (also a local number) which my cordless phone is hooked to, and it also ring my GoogleChat. Now if I could just get GrooVeIP to consistently ring/respond to inbound calls. Even tried just having my GoogleVoice number to only ring to/forward to my GoogleChat in case GoogleVoice and/or GrooVeIP was getting confused in trying to forward a call to more than one location/number....didn't help. Gosh, I've tried a static IP, VPN, no STUN server setting in GrooVeIP, Port Forwarding in the router, deactivating the Firewall and Sip ALG in the router, and just on and on with all kinds of combinations........but too date I can't get GrooVeIP to consistently respond to inbound calls.

I'll continue to play with it and use it for outbound calls. If I had to make a $5 bet today as to what the problem is, I would have to say the incoming call notification data packet is just getting lost....and it could very well be getting lost when it hits my True DOCSIS internet network....long way between here and the U.S. east coast...pretty much exactly half way around the world...so many hops to get lost/make a wrong turn at.

Sure hope GoogleVoice don't decide to block Apps/services like GrooVeIP...because without GoogleVoice then GrooVeIP type Apps/services are dead in the water unless they have another VOIP service provider to tap into. Cheers.

Again, no problems using GrooVeIP on many, many wired networks here (5x True DSL, 1x True DOCSIS, 1 TOT DSL) and DTAC/Happy and TrueMove H 3G mobile broadband networks. Just installed the app. and it works whenever I am on a WiFi or 3G network. Easy peasy. Audio quality is as good as MJ and/or 001/004/009 for me.

Sure hope GoogleVoice don't decide to block Apps/services like GrooVeIP
Not sure what this means? Makes no sense to me? Why would Google do such a thing? Or even how could they do it? Oh well, perhaps it makes sense to someone? Edited by lomatopo

Sure hope GoogleVoice don't decide to block Apps/services like GrooVeIP
Not sure what this means? Makes no sense to me? Why would Google do such a thing? Or even how could they do it? Oh well, perhaps it makes sense to someone?

I sure hope GoogleVoice don't block such services either unless Google decides someday they should get a little money/commission for allowing Apps such as GrooVeIP to interface with GoogleVoice and make money through the sale of their Apps due to their interface/reliance on GoogleVoice. I have no doubt GoogleVoice could sense how it's being tapped into and block such a connection if desired. Heck, if GoogleVoice forced it's 2 step logon to all customers (customers can choose now), then GrooVeIP couldn't connect as stated on the GrooVeIP website. I'm just saying GrooVeIP relies on GoogleVoice to do all the middleman work and someday the middleman may want a cut. And maybe apps like GrooVeIP would just increase their purchase price to pay that bill and things would continue on as now. At least with a VOIP service like Vonage, MagicJack, Nettalk, etc., you are using their organic/contracted VOIP servers without them just being the front-end/user interface and relying on a third party server like GoogleVoice (GoogleTalk).

Long live GrooVeIP...let me say it again....long live GrooVeIP and hopefully similar Apps to hit the market...I just hope it starts working for me consistently for inbound calls...from User feedback on GrooVeIP I see I'm not alone. But after almost two weeks of trying tons of different settings/things and talking to their Tech Support I've been unsuccessful. I'll keep trying off and on if I can think of something different to try. Long live GrooVeIP. Cheers.

Wanted to mention app from T-Mobile USA called Bobsled Calling, I actually came across it by accident on ThaiVisa's iPhone app and opened the ad by accident. Basically it is a free app that allows unlimited free phone calls to any US phone number over wifi (not sure if you can use with 3G) from the iPhone or Andriod.

There is no monthly fee or per minute charges, only catch is if I remember correctly each call is limited to 60 minutes. I have used it a few times and voice quality is pretty good, of course it depends on the connection. Not sure if you can receive a call from the US as I have never tired it.

But another options for those of us who calls the US often.

Edited by arkom

As the person who (I think) first introduced the GrooveIP Android app here in this thread, I've been using the Lite version periodically on my Sony Android phone, previously running Gingerbread and lately running ICS.

I've had mixed results with it on outbound calls I've initiated from Thailand to the U.S. In my cases, all the times I've used GrooveIP have been when I've been away from home and using various hotels' Wifi networks for Internet access. At times, those calls have been fine with good quality on both ends. At other times, I've had problems with the U.S. end being unable to hear me clearly, though I could always hear them perfectly fine. I've never had any problems hearing the U.S. end of my GrooveIP calls.

Unlike Loma, I'm only using the Lite version and thus am relying on various Wifi networks for service, as opposed to Thailand's various 3G providers. But because of the quality of service issues I've encountered, I'm continuing to use (and plan to continue to use) my original MagicJack unit as my primary U.S. calling device when at home in BKK or when traveling to the U.S. Though I'll also use the GrooveIP App on my Android phone when I'm traveling locally in Thailand or elsewhere in Asia (where I typically don't want to be carrying the MJ device and its associated hardware telephone with me).

Re Pib's comments above, just reflecting on the world of the Internet and service apps, I'd be hesitant to rely on something like GrooveIP as my primary or sole means of calling the U.S. To some extent, these kinds of apps have some tendency to appear and disappear, or change significantly, or get bought out, or get blocked by related networks. A bit to easy for such things to go south for my tastes. Whereas with MagicJack, I've got a 5 year history of pretty stable/reliable phone service and consistent pricing, despite the company's well-documented customer service problems.

So for me, it's good to have a multitude of free and/or low-cost U.S. calling options available for me to use, depending on my location and circumstances -- MagicJack, GrooveIP Lite, Skype and Viber keep me pretty well covered. And I'd consider adding the NetTalk device if MagicJack ever were to take a serious wrong turn.

Wanted to mention app from T-Mobile USA called Bobsled Calling, I actually came across it by accident on ThaiVisa's iPhone app and opened the ad by accident. Basically it is a free app that allows unlimited free phone calls to any US phone number over wifi (not sure if you can use with 3G) from the iPhone or Andriod.

There is no monthly fee or per minute charges, only catch is if I remember correctly each call is limited to 60 minutes. I have used it a few times and voice quality is pretty good, of course it depends on the connection. Not sure if you can receive a call from the US as I have never tired it.

But another options for those of us who calls the US often.

In looking at this app on the Google Play Store, it appears to get a lot of positive ratings... It's also relatively large, at about 11 MB in size.

The description says the app works on Android phones both via Wifi and 3-4G, and that each call is limited to 75 minutes. The description also says free calls to any landline and mobile phones in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and to Facebook friends. For incoming calls, it only talks about receiving calls from the user's Facebook friends.

As FYI, NetTalk has very recently come out with NetTalkDuo II. From some googling, the only real difference between the new device and the NetTalkDuo like I have is instead of coming with 12 months of service as part of the purchase price, the NetTalkDuo II only comes with 3 months of service. NetTalkDuo II retail price is $34.95 where the NetTalkDuo retail price is $49.95.

I expect the Duo II package/pricing is geared to get the device purchase price low enough to entice more folks to try out a Netalk device/service. If a person likes the device/service, they would just renew for 12 additional months (they have discounted longer plans also) before the initial subscription period that came with the device expires. And they even have real, live Tech Support people you can call...and of course you can contact via email...they do respond quickly because I emailed them a few times with some general questions just to see if they would respond...they did respond quickly.

They also have a NetTalkDuo Wifi device for $64.95 which connects wirelessly to your Wifi router...no need for ethernet cable to hook to the NetTalkDuo Wifi device. You can buy NetTalk devices are various U.S./Canada oulets/stores like Walmart and online to include Ebay...I bought mine off Ebay. Here's their web page link. Link

About an hour ago I download the NetTalk App for Android and established a NetTalk mobile account. All easy and quick enough. I've made about a half dozen calls to Hawaii and the East Coast...all went right through and voice quality was good for both parties.

Now if you look at the App Install Guide on the NetTalk website (website listed in post #146 above) and then compare it to the actual installed application they are noticeably different. I think the install guide/manual is for an earlier version of the App compared to the latest version. Additionally, if you try to download the App from the NetTalk website which just links to the Google Play site you get an error (or at least I did). So I just went directly to Google Play, found the NetTalk App, and downloaded it. Here's the Google Play link. Then I setup my NetTalk mobile account per instructions. All easy enough. NetTalk has an App for Apple phones also.

So far, so good in about an hour's worth of testing and a half dozen outbound calls. People can not call into you. The Google Play link info says each call is limited to 30 minutes and 500 total minutes per month. Buy hey, those are free minutes.

For TallGuyJohninBKK: per your earlier posts the App didn't work worth a durn for you and you uninstalled it, if I remember right without rereading posts...you were unable to complete even one call. Maybe that was an older version; might want to download and try again if it is a newer version...reviewers talk about a new version. If it still won't work for you, this is just another example of how one VOIP-type service/App may work great for one person and not the other.

Edited by Pib

Thanks Pib... Your recollection of my total inability to use the NetTalk app on my Android phone, amid many attempts, is correct... But as you noted, that was some months back when I posted about it here in this thread.

I still have the same Android phone (a Sony), but it's now running ICS instead of Gingerbread. So given your comments above, I'll try reinstalling the app and see if I have any better luck with it this time... I'm always a big fan of FREE...assuming one can get the service to work.

Pib, fyi, I did re-install the NetTalk app (the "NEW" version of it) on my Android phone tonight, and successfully made a test call to my home MagicJack number. So at least the app is working now...

Downside is, the NetTalk app takes up about 20 MB of space on my phone's ROM, and the app cannot be moved to the SD card even within a non-rooted Ice Cream Sandwich OS. That makes it the largest single app in my phone's ROM memory, surpassing even the Amazon App Store app at almost 17 MB. It may be hard to justify keeping it on my Android mobile using that much ROM space.

BTW, I installed it on my phone using my phone's Google Play app, and the install itself went smoothly. Previously, the NetTalk install went fine also, but every attempted call was met with a "cannot connect" recording. Tonight, as mentioned, my first test call rang thru fine.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/magicjack-revenue-and-eps-estimates-are-375---385-mil-and-048---052-per-share-for-q2-2012-20120710-00199

Excellent financial news re: magicJack, note some new product news including the Android app. due next week...although I do not believe the Anroid app. is in anyway linked to your existing mJ device/account. ;(

CEO Dan Borislow added, "The Company has performed extremely well since Andrew's arrival earlier this year. magicJack PLUS™ sales continue to be very strong as are renewals. Our earnings to a large degree are driven by our high and increasing renewals sales, which also show the love for our products and services. We continue to evolve and advance our product and service offerings while constantly increasing the voice quality, ease of use and serving a larger demographic base. During the quarter, we launched a new invention for our magicJack apps on mobile devices using Apple's iOS and for Android introduction next week. The invention enables anyone who downloads a free app and makes a call without a phone number to leave behind a callback phone number. The invention is patent pending. As stated in our early June press release, other new products are on the way during Q3 and Q4 including the magicJack Wi-Fi with the best home phone voice quality I have ever heard. With these terrific product and service additions, we expect more customers to renew their licenses in the future and take advantage of buying into new customer benefits. In the meantime, it is rewarding to see our efforts over the last six years beginning from start-up mode to a business producing outstanding results on a consistent basis."