Aussie Teen Latest Jet-ski Casualty

george

Aussie teen latest jet-ski casualty

PATONG: -- An Australian teenager was critically injured on Wednesday afternoon when his rented jet-ski was in collision with another jet-ski operated by a friend.

Both men were rushed to Patong Hospital after the crash, which happened at the south end of the beach at about 4 pm.

Pol Maj Sophon Borrirak of Kathu Police said 19-year-old Antonio Scognamigli, was rushed unconscious to the Patong Hospital. His heart stopped, but doctors managed to revive him. He was later transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket, where he is still undergoing treatment.

The operator of the other jet-ski, 20-year-old William Forest, also of Australia, told police he had come to Phuket on holiday with Mr Scognamigli. Police said he admitted to being responsible for the crash, explaining that he was just “horsing around” with his friend when he approached with his jet-ski at high speed.

It was not revealed whether either man had been drinking.

After his release from Patong Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, Forest was arrested and charged with negligence causing grievous bodily harm. If found guilty, he could face imprisonment of up to three years or a fine of up to 6,000 baht, or both. He was later released on bail.

Meanwhile, Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukbal said that, with the high-season now here, Patong Municipality is in the process of organizing zones along the beach restricting where jet-skis will be allowed to operate.

The municipality will also issue orders to control jet-ski rental outfits whose activities have long been a leading source of complaint among tourists to Patong.

The jet-ski operators have long ignored regulations limiting their activities to the southern end of the beach, and previous attempts to crack down on them all fizzled out.

In the 2003-2004 high season two tourists died in jet-ski accidents. One was a 13-year-old German boy, whose mother begged authorities to protect children and juveniles by enforcing jet-ski safety regulations.

Despite a provincial plan to phase out jet-skis over a seven-year period, Patong will host an international jet-ski ski race December 10 and 11.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-11-26

Why the crack-down on jet-ski operations always fail:-

Patong is administratively classified as a city.

The mayor of this city wields a lot of power.

The mayor is voted in by residents of Patong.

There are relatively few eligible voters.

The jet-ski operators are powerful Patong families and thus eligible voters.

Can't legislate against hormones and stupidity.

10-1 booze involved.

They should ban Australians from using Jet Ski,s The same type of accident happened yesterday on the gold coast here in Queensland , 1 dead 1 badly injured, we have problems with them here all year round, there were accidents in the shipping channel of Moreton island in may 2 dead , not tourists by the way but local residents, a favourite jetski sport here is buzzing prawn trawlers, still where there are no law enforcers there are no crimes. Nignoy :o

Good thing the Governor took such thoughtful and decisive action BEFORE the latest accident and stated that the jet skis will be banned.

Just have to wait until 2012 for that to happen.... hopefully there won't be too many more accidents as the calendar pages get slowly torn off... one by one by one by one by one.....

Australian facing jail after jetski mishap

PHUKET: -- AN AUSTRALIAN man faces the possibility of jail in Thailand after his jet ski crashed into one of his mates.

William Forest, 20, was riding his jet ski at the popular tourist resort of Patong Beach in southern Thailand when he crashed into his friend, 19-year-old Antonio Scognamiglio.

Police said Mr Scognamiglio's heart stopped beating after the accident but doctors at Patong hospital revived him.

He was rushed to Bangkok hospital in Phuket for further treatment.

Mr Forest was arrested after being treated for minor injuries and was later charged with negligence causing grievous bodily harm. If found guilty, he could face three years in jail or a fine of up to $300, or both. He has been released on bail.

Police said Mr Forest had told them: "We were just horsing around in the water when the accident happened."

The accident happened on Wednesday.

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said the Australian embassy in Bangkok was providing support for the victim and his family.

In the 2003-04 high season, two tourists died in jet ski accidents near the scene of the latest incident.

One was a 13-year-old German boy whose mother later begged authorities to protect children and juveniles by enforcing jet ski safety regulations.

After the accident, police said municipal authorities in Patong - a beach resort popular with Australian and New Zealand tourists - would now introduce restrictions on jet ski operators at the resort.

On Saturday, a 20-year-old woman was killed in a jet ski accident off Coochiemudlo Island in Moreton Bay, east of Brisbane.

It is believed she fell off the jet ski about 11am and was struck by another jet ski.

The rider of the second jet ski was not injured.

Brisbane water police are investigating.

--news.com.au/AAP

Jet-ski man still unconscious

By Ian Black in Bangkok

November 28, 2005

THE parents of an Australian tourist in a coma five days after a jet-ski accident in Thailand are keeping a bedside vigil at a Bangkok hospital.

Antonio Scognamigli, 19, of Sydney, remained unconscious today despite a brain operation by Thai surgeons on the weekend at Bumrungrad Hospital.

Parents Pasquale and Bettina Scognamigli, of Wollongong, flew to Bangkok several days ago and they can now only pray for his recovery in the hospital's intensive care unit.

"The doctors tell us he is stable. But we have not been able to speak to our son," Pasquale Scognamigli said.

Scognamigli had been on holiday with his friend William Forest, 20, at Patong Beach on the island of Phuket.

Tragedy struck on Wednesday when the two were riding jet-skis and collided.

Forest was slightly hurt in the accident. After treatment he was arrested and police charged him with negligence and causing grievous bodily harm.

If convicted he could face three years in a Thai prison or a fine of up to $300 – or both.

Mr Forest was released on bail last week and is now in Bangkok, where he was also joined by his parents.

A spokesman for the Australian embassy said the families of both men had been offered consular assistance.

Immediately after the accident Mr Scognamigli was rescued from the water and taken to a local hospital.

He was transferred to a bigger hospital on Phuket and later flown by air ambulance to Bumrungrad Hospital.

Police said mr Forest told investigators the pair had been "horsing around in the water" when the accident happened.

Last year two foreign tourists died in jet-ski accidents in the same area.

Police said last night the municipality of Patong – a beach resort popular with Australian and New Zealand tourists – will now introduce restrictions on jet-ski operators on the coastline.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

Setback for jet-ski coma victim

By Ian Black in Bangkok

November 29, 2005

AN Australian tourist who has been in a coma since a jet-ski accident in Thailand last

week has developed a fever possibly linked to the brain damage he has suffered.

Antonio Scognamigli, 19, has been on a ventilator since the accident, which occurred when he and his best friend William Forest were riding jet skis and collided off a resort on Phuket island on November 23.

Doctors conducted brain surgery over the weekend and today were considering whether to operate again to ease cranial pressure.

They said they were concerned about a sudden rise in the patient's temperature.

The injured man's father and mother, Paquale and Bettina Scognamigli, have flown to Bangkok from their Wollongong home to be at their son's bedside.

Paquale Scognamigli said: "I'm sorry to say that there has been no change in my boy's condition."

Police said that immediately after the accident, the young Australian's heart had stopped beating.

He was taken to two local hospitals on Phuket before being evacuated by air ambulance to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok.

Mr Forest was slightly injured in the accident, and police have since charged him with negligence and causing grievous bodily harm.

If convicted, Forest could face three years in a Thai prison or a fine of up to $300 – or both.

Immediately after the mishap, Mr Forest told police the pair has been "just horsing around in the water" when the jet skis collided.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

Aussie jet ski accident victim improves

PHUKET: -- Australian tourist Antonio Scognamiglio has opened his eyes for the first time since he was critically injured in a jet-ski accident in Thailand last week.

Doctors at Bangkok's Bumrungrad Hospital said the 19-year-old from Wollongong has also been able to move both his hands.

A fever that had worried doctors has eased, a hospital spokeswoman said.

However, he remains on a ventilator and has not yet been able to communicate with medical staff or his father and mother, Pasquale and Bettina Scognamiglio.

Both have been keeping a bedside vigil since they flew into Bangkok last week.

"Tony is still on medication, and cannot speak to us yet," the spokeswoman said.

"But his temperature is down and his blood pressure has settled, although he is still on a ventilator."

The accident, which left him with serious brain damage, happened last Wednesday in front of horrified crowds on Patong Beach, Phuket, as Scognamiglio and his best friend William Forest, were riding jet skis that collided.

The injured man was flown to Bangkok by air ambulance after emergency treatment at two Phuket hospitals.

Forest was later arrested on charges of negligence and causing grievous bodily harm.

He has been released on bail, but if convicted could face three years in a Thai jail or a fine of up to A$300, or both.

--seven.com.au 2005-12-01

Update:

Jetski rider recovering after operation

BANGKOK: -- Australian teenager Antonio Scognamiglio, seriously injured when hit by a jetski in Thailand, is recovering from a two-hour operation to clear his windpipe.

Scognamiglio, from Wollongong, has been in a coma for two weeks after suffering severe brain damage when he hit by a jet-ski off Patong Beach in Phuket in southern Island.

Surgeons at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok performed a tracheotomy to ease his breathing, although hospital sources say Antonio, who has been kept alive on a ventilator, has not regained consciousness since the accident on November 23.

Hospital sources said the operation had gone well and that he had come through the trauma of the procedure, but was not out of danger.

His parents Pasquale and Bettina Scognamiglio, were at his bedside.

They flew from their NSW south coast home soon after their son was critically injured when a jet ski driven by his best friend, William Forest, hit him at speed in the water off Patong Beach.

Forest, also of NSW, was later arrested on charges of negligence and causing grievous bodily harm. He has been released on bail, but if convicted could face a three-year jail sentence or a fine of up to $A300 - or both.

--theage.com.au 2005-12-08

As I understand it the kid that was arrested was in court all last week. That is a real travesty as there should not be jetskis there in the first place and there is a real lack of training & safety measures.

Sir Burr's post is enlightening to why these things continue.

10-1 booze involved.

In relation to the recent jet-ski accident in Phuket I would like share a few thoughts. The two young men were not drinking alcohol, it wasn't because of male hormones or stupidity.

I am the mother of the young man that was arrested and the other young man has been my sons best friend and a family friend for years. I can assure you that they were not "horsing around" on this tragic day. I can imagine that if they were and at a high speed that both boys would have lost their lives. The boys were trying to experience everything that Thailand had to offer.

They are two highly intelligent young men who have achieved a high standard at both school and university.

This has severely affected the families of these two young men and we just pray every day that they can both come home to the families that love them both so dearly.

kosullivan:

I wish the young man in the hospital a total recovery, and hope that your son does not have to dawdle too long in the Thai legal system. Just remember, there is usually a simple solution when it comes to justice in Thailand.

Good luck.

10-1 booze involved.

I can assure you that they were not "horsing around" on this tragic day. I can imagine that if they were and at a high speed that both boys would have lost their lives. The boys were trying to experience everything that Thailand had to offer.

Not horsing around? Come off it - how did they collide then - obviously too bloody close and not traveling at a safe distance.

10-1 booze involved.

I can assure you that they were not "horsing around" on this tragic day. I can imagine that if they were and at a high speed that both boys would have lost their lives. The boys were trying to experience everything that Thailand had to offer.

Not horsing around? Come off it - how did they collide then - obviously too bloody close and not traveling at a safe distance.

As I stated previously my concern is for the two boys and not I will be putting everthing I have into them and trying not to listen to people who were not even there.

10-1 booze involved.

In relation to the recent jet-ski accident in Phuket I would like share a few thoughts. The two young men were not drinking alcohol, it wasn't because of male hormones or stupidity.

I am the mother of the young man that was arrested and the other young man has been my sons best friend and a family friend for years. I can assure you that they were not "horsing around" on this tragic day. I can imagine that if they were and at a high speed that both boys would have lost their lives. The boys were trying to experience everything that Thailand had to offer.

They are two highly intelligent young men who have achieved a high standard at both school and university.

This has severely affected the families of these two young men and we just pray every day that they can both come home to the families that love them both so dearly.

You must be going through h`ell at the moment. I truly hope that Antonio progresses well and that both your son and Antonio will be able to put this behind them and continue their friendship.

So burning needlessly petroleum as a sport is sick.

I dont pitty anyone who has problems dong this. Real men and woman for that matter get off the ass and move their own bodies to make sport and not have to pollute the world to have some fun.

Jet skies are one of the worse polluting crimes ever devised!

The noise pollution is horrible too!

I hate them just next to cigerets

I wish all people would figure it out that its better to change our sick sports ideas then to destory the Earth making them. :o

Ever heard of swimming? Or isnt that cool any more?

Wake up folks before its to late!

Edited by ayakiawe

I dont pitty anyone who has problems dong this. Real men and woman for that matter get off the ass and move their own bodies to make sport and not have to pollute the world to have some fun.

I wish all people would figure it out that its better to change our sick sports ideas then to destory the Earth making them.  :o

I don`t suppose that you even drive a car or a motor cycle or ever take a taxi or a bus anywhere.....only do things the organic way.

We are talking about a terrible accident here and you have to use it as an excuse tp preach your whiter than white style of living.....pretty pathetic

I wish all people would figure it out that its better to change our sick sports ideas then to destory the Earth making them.  :o

:D

is all im saying as to not get a warning or a ban.......

Edited by rio666uk

I don`t suppose that you even drive a car or a motor cycle or ever take a taxi or a bus anywhere.....only do things the organic way.

We are talking about a terrible accident here and you have to use it as an excuse tp preach your whiter than white style of living.....pretty pathetic

PFox - I agree ayakiawe is way out of line and over the top with his comments. :D

Jetski(s) are completely harmless if operated in a safe/proper manner. Unfortunately lot of people act as if they are toys, and clearly from the many deaths/injuries this is far from the case. Jetski(s) aren't the problem, but the people who use them in a wreckless fashion.

Have you ever heard of an accident? Perhaps you should look it up. It may surprise you to know that accidents happen everyday, all over the world. :blink:

You do not know the men involved and you do not know the circumstances AT ALL of what happened. They were NOT horsing around, or speeding. The way you spoke about those young men and your reply to the mother was disgusting. Everyone has opinions, but most people realise when to keep their opinions to themselves. These boys and their families are going through the worst experience of their lives. Give them a break!

On a brighter note. Kat and Pattaya fox obviously do know the impact some kind, supportive words can make in a situation such as this horrible accident. Its these posts that inspire!!!!!! :D

10-1 booze involved.

If you read the bloody article perhaps you might learn a few things....nuff said! :o

The operator of the other jet-ski, 20-year-old William Forest, also of Australia, told police he had come to Phuket on holiday with Mr Scognamigli. Police said he admitted to being responsible for the crash, explaining that he was just “horsing around” with his friend when he approached with his jet-ski at high speed.

I will have you KNOW (not that you know MUCH AT ALL) I happen to know these people and I KNOW exactly what happened. AND I HAVE read every article on the accident and not ONE of them is correct - NOT ONE!!!!. And the little quote you took time to add is WRONG sorry to tell you. Yes there was an accident, but NO, that is NOT how it happened.

Quit the crap language too by the way, you don't have much of a vocubulary do you!!. Anyone who says things like you have, whilst people suffer tremendously is a fool. Whilst you bore people with your lectures, on issues you know nothing of, other people have gone into action and tried to make a difference to these two beautiful human beings and their beautiful families, which is a wonderful thing. Thanks to these caring people these families have been able to discover how big people hearts are and witness their endless generosity. We certainly have some wonderful people in this world.

Thank goodness you are not in the Judicial and hospital systems. (Bossy Boots)

Bye the way: This case was cleared and found to be a pure accident. We don't have courts for nothing you know!!!! They know better than you - it might be hard for you to imagine, but believe me - IT'S TRUE!!!!

If you read the bloody article perhaps you might learn a few things....nuff said!  :o

Britmaveric you are a complete fool. I would bet my money that you are a Journalist because no other human being other than a Journalist would say the things that you have. A person that believes everything they read is a sad and pityful sight indeed. Just as well I don't have to look at you. I thank god that we have a legal system to work on the truth from lies and I also thank god that you are not part of the legal system because if you were everyone of us would hang even if we were innocent. Go away you are an idiot.

Britmaveric you are a complete fool.  I would bet my money that you are a Journalist because no other human being other than a Journalist would say the things that you have.  A person that believes everything they read is a sad and pityful sight indeed.  Just as well I don't have to look at you.  I thank god that we have a legal system to work on the truth from lies and I also thank god that you are not part of the legal system because if you were everyone of us would hang even if we were innocent.  Go away you are an idiot.

I'll ignore your insults which are unwarranted. If I were in your shoes I'd do my best for my son, and that is your duty as parents everywhere in the world. However has the thought crossed your mind perhaps you are wrong?

A better question for you is....what exactly do you think happened? Accidents do happen but if I hit someone I'm legally responsible and this is the law. (plain/simple)

As I understand it the kid that was arrested was in court all last week. That is a real travesty as there should not be jetskis there in the first place and there is a real lack of training & safety measures.

what a load of nonsense....these were two adults ( albeit from down under ) i'm sure they have ridden them before and these accidents can happen, even tho' they shouldn't!

what a load of nonsense....these were two adults ( albeit from down under ) i'm sure they have ridden them before and these accidents can happen, even tho' they shouldn't!

The history of Jetski's on Patong Beach is well known. A 13 year old boy was killed in 2003, good evidence of a lack of safety procedures. The Jetskis should not be on a swimming beach.