Swedish Man Dumps His Wife, Any Rights?

palusa

I have a freind who is a Thai lady who has just been dumped by her Swedish husband ( marriage registered in Thailand only). He has decided he wanted something a bit younger and has left his wife with nothing and bought a condo for his self and new girlfreind. My question is does this poor lady have any rights concerning property or posessions as they are still married but he just refuses to talk or communicate in any way with his ex wife. This lady was a good girl and it has to be said its the other way to the norm that is usually brought up on Thaivisa.

Regards

Palusa

I am dating a Thai lady who this also happened to and she has a child.

From the sidelines , I'm watching how she is handling herself and my answer to

you is she probably has no rights. The Thai government seems to care less about

womans rights.

The woman I am dating did manage to get a divorce with child support, but he

pays whenever and whatever he wants. Pattaya lawyers want 100,000 baht from her to sue him!

He already has a new 21yo wife that he's making his new barbie.

It seems Thai women have no skills beside sex and what little tourist type work to support themselves.

If she gets dumped after living well with a farang husband/bf, she is screwed.

A friend told me once his girls ex flew back to Thailand with her and just walked away after

they picked up the luggage, never to be seen again.

There is always two sides to a story. Is your friend a pain in the ass? After a year, I am now

seeing how freaking immature and stupid my woman is and I know I would not marry her, and

I dont see us lasting much longer. So there are reasons for this besides just getting a younger model.

I have a freind who is a Thai lady who has just been dumped by her Swedish husband ( marriage registered in Thailand only). He has decided he wanted something a bit younger and has left his wife with nothing and bought a condo for his self and new girlfreind. My question is does this poor lady have any rights concerning property or posessions as they are still married but he just refuses to talk or communicate in any way with his ex wife. This lady was a good girl and it has to be said its the other way to the norm that is usually brought up on Thaivisa.

Regards

Palusa

The marriage is recognised in Sweden as well. I am sure that anything gained within the marriage has to be shared equally, a divorce can be got in around 10 minutes if both are willing to have one, but make sure she sorts out money with him first.

Anything they have in Thailand except land is split 50/50. She keeps any land and probably anything built on it. Seems he had his screwed on as had he bought a house she would have it all.

Not really as he just bought a condo according to the OP, unless he put it in his new GFs name!!!!

Anything they have in Thailand except land is split 50/50. She keeps any land and probably anything built on it. Seems he had his screwed on as had he bought a house she would have it all.

Not really as he just bought a condo according to the OP, unless he put it in his new GFs name!!!!

This is true. However if he put it in his own name the 50/50 should stand. All very sad. Splitting up anywhere in the world appears to be the same.

The only recourse she has is from things / property they jointly own in their marriage. There is no alimony as we know it in the west.

I hope she is able to get what she can and move on, Try and find some else.

She does have grounds for divorce since he is lving with his new gf without getting divorced first, I believe in these kinds of cases she might have recourse to 75% of his assets since he abandoned her for another woman. Tell her to go to Family Court and sue for divorce.

She has about as much chance as a snowball in Bkk in getting anything from him unless she has a million baht to chase him with

Not if they are both in Thailand, then she has a very good chance of getting 50% of all assets that were gained during the marriage. If she can prove he bought the condo with that money during the marriage, then half of that too if its in the gf name.

She has about as much chance as a snowball in Bkk in getting anything from him unless she has a million baht to chase him with

Not if they are both in Thailand, then she has a very good chance of getting 50% of all assets that were gained during the marriage. If she can prove he bought the condo with that money during the marriage, then half of that too if its in the gf name.

Has the woman filed for divorce?

My main question is about the condo. If the funds used came from the family account here in Thailand, then I could easily understand her claiming 1/2 of the condo. But what if the money came from another source, maybe he got it from the girlfriend or maybe it came from his personal assets he had in his own country. Then, I don't think she will have much of a chance on collecting on the condo.

This is true. However if he put it in his own name the 50/50 should stand. All very sad. Splitting up anywhere in the world appears to be the same.

The only recourse she has is from things / property they jointly own in their marriage. There is no alimony as we know it in the west.

I hope she is able to get what she can and move on, Try and find some else.

Don't be so fast with the alimony statement, I legally divorced my favorite ex-wife in 1984, we agreed to B500 (about $25 back then) a month alimony written in the divorce decree, being in the Military, I travelled a lot so would send money every 6 months or so, worked fine for a few years, then lost contact. In 1998 - I came back to LOS on one of my normal visits to Pattaya and there she was, older & wiser - she went to the Amphur and I had to pay 14 years back alimony - she wanted $200 a month at the 1998 baht rate (B52 per $) the Amphur disagreed, - I paid the agreed $25 a month x 168 months (using the 1998 baht rate of 52 = about B9000) I gave her the money, got a receipt and gave the Amphur a B1000 for being honest. clap2.gifclap2.gif without him, it could have really had me in a bind - but the moral of this story is - There IS an Alimony in Thailand, and NO statue of limitations - maybe if both parties want to hire lawyers it would work out differently........just not in my case.

Edited by 7by7
Reply moved out of quote box

No, there is no alimoney in Thailand, only child support. In your case you came to a divorce settlement in which you agreed to pay alimoney out of your free will. You made a contract to pay alimoney out of you free wil and are bound to pay because of the contract.But there is no legal requirement to pay alimoney under Thai divorce law.