Something To Be Proud Of...

StreetCowboy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16310815.stm

Arrests at matches fell by 9% last season, with a total of 3,089 people detained, a drop of 302.

...equates to an average of one arrest per match

The number of those attending regulated matches in England and Wales reached 37m last year, meaning those arrested represent less than 0.01% of that season's spectators"

SC

Got to agree mate.

Do you think that they're any worse than they ever were? We expect them to be much more professional now, and the spotlight on them is much sharper and brighter - they also have much more money and opportunity to embarrass themselves. Though what do I know? I get my news from the BBC sports web page, and normally I flick straight on to the rugby pages anyway.

Perhaps it would do a lot of footballers good to see the respect that Chris Patterson has been held in, as he retires from international rugby...

SC

Had the exact same conversation yesterday regarding Rugby vs Football. The abuse that the footballers give the referee's is unbelievable and they get away with it. They could learn a lot by watching these 'huge' ruby players excepting the referees decision with dignity. As usual money is the root of all evil, especially for the 'playboy' footballers that no longer give a shit about anything, including the club and the fans.

I am certainly leaning towards rugby more and more these days.

Had the exact same conversation yesterday regarding Rugby vs Football. The abuse that the footballers give the referee's is unbelievable and they get away with it. They could learn a lot by watching these 'huge' ruby players excepting the referees decision with dignity. As usual money is the root of all evil, especially for the 'playboy' footballers that no longer give a shit about anything, including the club and the fans.

But its the authorities that allow it. If the players were suspended for dissent whenever they behaved in a way that would not be acceptable on a rugby field, they would soon learn; or there would be a lot of new footballers on the field.

I also prefer the "ten minutes in the bin" for a yellow card as well. I think it offers a more evenly graduated escalation of punishment for foul play.

The last game of soccer I watched was Liverpool v Malaysia at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil - a good-natured and entertaining game, made all the better because most people were supporting both teams.

SC

I can't fault what you say, the rules are not rigorously applied and the ref's walk alone. The bin is a good deterrent and in my opinion should be applied to football.

Friendlies should be just that and I guess the one you saw in Malaysia was. Great atmosphere.

I am really glad the FA have shown their teeth by acting very strongly against racism and long may it continue.

IMO, The Premier League, or The Greed Is Good League as another poster calls it has ruined football.

I would rather watch the Championship or Bundesliga, and more often than not do.

I am also lucky that I am well served by rugby, what a joy the recent world cup was to watch.

Working mans game my ass, sorry have better things to do with my money these days than contribute to the likes of Cashley Coles retirement fund and all the other cash grabbing prima donnas that now are to be found in the Premier League, are you reading this TEVEZ, <deleted> OFF.

I can't fault what you say, the rules are not rigorously applied and the ref's walk alone. The bin is a good deterrent and in my opinion should be applied to football.

Friendlies should be just that and I guess the one you saw in Malaysia was. Great atmosphere.

I am really glad the FA have shown their teeth by acting very strongly against racism and long may it continue.

Actually, the FA, in the manner they have conducted themselves over the racism issue, in the Suarez/Evra case, have made themselves look like a bunch of imbeciles.

Carmine explain why?

To be honest mate you'd be better to take a look at the last four or five pages of the Liverpool thread. You'll get a very clear view of mine and everyone else opinion.

Interestingly, a poll was done on skysports,com on whether he should appeal his ban and 63% said yes. So that tells me that whilst joe public is against racism the majority think the FA got this one wrong.

Only imbeciles would convict a man on the basis of the only evidence coming from his accuser. They have so far offered no other concrete evidence and have nonetheless destroyed a mans reputation.

Carmine 8 games and 40 grand leans me towards they have got good evidence,doesn't it you?

They have a QC on the hearing now preparing the documents to be released who also knows the appeal process as do the FA,I would imagine they have evidence to give him a 8 game ban.

Contrary to what you say i think the Fa have been strong under massive pressure this time and have delivered the correct verdict.

Liverpool's players wearing Suarez shirts is so shameful and just shows their lack of class.embarressing

Carmine 8 games and 40 grand leans me towards they have got good evidence,doesn't it you?

They have a QC on the hearing now preparing the documents to be released who also knows the appeal process as do the FA,I would imagine they have evidence to give him a 8 game ban.

Contrary to what you say i think the Fa have been strong under massive pressure this time and have delivered the correct verdict.

Liverpool's players wearing Suarez shirts is so shameful and just shows their lack of class.embarressing

You have a right to your opininion. Its just that the majority of the English public don't seem to agree with you.

You have a right to your opininion. Its just that the majority of the English public don't seem to agree with you.

What is the reason behind the public opinion? Personal? Most likely.

We all know that the majority is tired of seeing Man Utd win stuff again and again (understandably), thus want the club to lose out in all aspects.

Even a non-English person knows that.

;-)

63% of sky sports viewers who could be arsed to vote......basically mostly Liverpool fans.....come on i thought you was more intelligent than that?

I don't care MrRed....you're still getting a pie in the i....COYS!

What you talkin about Willis?

63% of sky sports viewers who could be arsed to vote......basically mostly Liverpool fans.....come on i thought you was more intelligent than that?

I don't care MrRed....you're still getting a pie in the i....COYS!

What you talkin about Willis?

Scousers can't afford Sky....its Jeremy and a mug full of char like...

• 2 weeks later...

This is good news. When I was a lad biggrin.png having darts thrown at you wasn't very pleasant at all. Going to Old Trafford (for instance) for a derby game was a very risky day out. It feels much safer nowadays and that can only be good for all.

The backstreets and alleys around the Moss weren't much fun either.......Eastlands is like most other new grounds now positioned on reclaimed land in the middle of nowhere normally an industrial estate,come to think of it we started that trend too all those years ago in Old Trafford.Stadiums like Anfield and Goodison will eventually become a thing of the past due to safety issues and parking which is a lot better in industrial areas and also they are easier to police.

• 4 weeks later...