Silom Complex Closing For Renovation

TallGuyJohninBKK

Was out and about today and popped by the Silom Complex shopping center on Silom Road near the Saladaeng BTS station. All the stores and even restaurants there had big signs up inside talking about sales, which I presumed to be a holiday season thing.

But in talking with one of the merchants there, he advised that the entire mall is going to be closed for renovation shortly after the New Year, with the work expected to take at least six months, before reopening again.

old hat-those ''sales'' are going on since at least early nov. As it is Central-and about their most grizzly store now, it needs a total spruce-up and more icycold AC to attract the masses the other Centrals are getting in. Re that new flagship store at Ram IX-just a few MRTstops away from Silom.

Most worrisome for most are the numerous moneyboys hanging around in this centre-all types of social activists are busy getting them new ''homes'' to carry on their trade.

Wrong asanee. Silom Complex is closing down at the end of the year for renovations. It will be closed for about a year. Genuine closing down/ dump stock sales there at the moment.

Yes, that's right... And it wasn't just the Central Department store there that was offering discounts, but pretty much every shop in the place...

Now, Thai "sales" are a well-known fake... Jack up the normal price, then reduce it via a supposed sale. But in this case, if I were doing year-end shopping, I'd at least pop by there to see what's on offer and at what prices.

All the merchants there are going to have to get out, shortly. So, presumably they have at least some interest in reducing their current inventories and converting those to solid cash...

Indeed, when I was wandering around the Silom Complex, I stopped in for lunch at the A&W restaurant there, which is located in the basement just as you enter from Silom Road by doing down the exterior stairs before heading inside.

I happened to be there around noontime, so went to try a A&W burger, which I'd never tried in Thailand before. I ordered what looked to be their top of the line double Mozza beef burger w/ cheese set (with curly fries and a mug of root beer) for 125 baht.

The root beer was fine.... The curly fries were so-so...not bad, but not especially good or flavorful either. But the burger definitely was ho-hum... nothing that's going to draw me back there for another meal..

That, and, at noon time, what was quite a large sized restaurant with lots of table seating was almost empty.... And when the counter girl asked me to wait 5 minutes for my burger, I was hoping that might mean they'd be cooking it fresh....Alas, that wasn't the case.

The burger patties they served up were pretty dry and tasteless...and seemed like they had been sitting around a good long while since being cooked. The bun was nothing more than the grocery store bought variety. But at least they served the burger with some fresh lceberg lettuce and tomato and pickle slices.

In retrospect, the photo of the burger actually makes it look pretty good. But the taste just wasn't there.

Who knows whether the A&W shop will return there when the mall reopens later in the year. They certainly weren't doing much business at lunchtime yesterday.

post-58284-0-06023700-1324731115_thumb.j

post-58284-0-66290000-1324731294_thumb.j