Do You Like When The Beach Road Footpath Becomes A Market?

James3113

Some of us that live in Pattaya and have to drive here so we can't just stay away. Beach Road is a major traffic artery here in Pattaya and unless they do something about the vendors also using the road to store their goods, double parking, motorcycle parking, and cart parking we can't get from one side of Pattaya to the other

I live here with my family and drive both car and MC's as well. When we go out in the car we decide if going to beach road or not, we normal do to take in the scenery but in the weekend we stay away unless we want to take a stroll on the promenade. If not we take 3rd road and goes to Jomtien or one of the big shopping centers thus avoiding Beach road.

Its next to impossible to park your car (for free) on/near Beach road even in the low season, sometimes we use Central for parking but a bit of a pain because of my sons push cart.

I always take the bike when going out alone due to easy getting around & parking.

No, I don't like it.

Unfortunately, every pavement in a high-density pedestrian area in Thailand eventually becomes yet another pavement-blocking series of stalls forcing people to walk at 0.5 miles per hour in a sweaty crowd or walk in the road.

The temptation to rent out the pavement is too great for the powers that be to resist. TIT

Try Silom, Ramkhamhaeng, Victory Monument (not in Pattaya, I know) and you will see the future for the Beach Road.

done to death, every week some event ot another fouling up the traffic, one side of the road belongs to the motor bike taxis, and bike rentals and the other to stall holders what ever the event. Greed wins every time. the tourist industry here just dont seem to get when it comes to providing waht the type of tourist they claim to want requires. just maybe a nice promenade with ocean views would be better than that crowded filth.

When they have these markets on Beach Rd they should make the entire area pedestrian. Then it would be quite pleasant. In fact I wish they would permanently ban all private cars anywhere west of 3rd Rd.

Many years ago they did that. The traffic had to go up Soi Post Office, leaving Beach Road to Walking St for pedestrians. Probably too much traffic to do that now.

The present situation has only existed since the current mayor started, and we know why, don't we!

If we were talking about the rest of thailand I might agree with you, but this is Pattaya, probably the largest tourist area in Thailand. It may be their country, but unless they make it an attractive place for tourists they will not gain the full potential. Pattaya being what it is there will always be "tourists" here but I understand they want to move into different markets.

Since when did the Pattaya authorities give a dam_n about anything except short term gain? No money is spent to maintain anything since the last walkway upgrade, and it's all falling into decrepitude.

I think city officials would be happy/content to just level off the Beach Road promenade, cut the trees...level it off and pave it in order to rent out more space for more junk night market stalls and to keep it up permanently. It seems that the city government (those who collect and pocket the stall rent) have no concern about the flowers, shrubs being stepped on, the garbage and oil dropped on the walking area, and the ugliness of it. I know the mayor and some of his government assistants travel to other countries, you would think they would realize what a classy beach promenade would look like and want to protect it.