New Year'S Eve Pub Closing Times

pete66

Since this is my first New Year's Eve in Chiang Mai .....

What normally happens on New Year's Eve regards closing times? Is there any kind of "open till the morning for one night only" on offer from the police or are pub closing hours as normal?

Also, I've got a (Thai) friend coming over and she's is only 19 not 20, so ..... any chance of pubs / police being slightly more "relaxed about minimum age" just for the night? Doesn't sound very likely to me but worth a try asking ;-)

As you are named a senior member with many posts I would like at add my congrats on your Thai GF at 19 - Way to go - will you need to stay out after 1AM, or in a hurry to relocate to a softer environment ?

Just kidding - sort of ! !

But no doubt many of us would like to know the new rules re opening hours, but will there be any info that will stand up or is it business as usual with all parameters decided on the night depending on who is paying etc ! MY GUESS IS IT WILL BE A LUCKY DIP EXCEPT FOR THE MAJOR HOTEL VENUES, they are a bit too hard to bully luckily.

Forget about spending your time stuck in a watering hole, you can do that any night of the year......it's NYE for crying out loud.....get out with all the people and take her to Thapae Gate......get involved in all what's going on there - it's great fun, she'll love it and there will be loads of booze selling places all around that area if you need it.

Edited by uptheos

As you are named a senior member with many posts I would like at add my congrats on your Thai GF at 19 - Way to go - will you need to stay out after 1AM, or in a hurry to relocate to a softer environment ?

But no doubt many of us would like to know the new rules re opening hours, but will there be any info that will stand up or is it business as usual with all parameters decided on the night depending on who is paying etc ! MY GUESS IS IT WILL BE A LUCKY DIP EXCEPT FOR THE MAJOR HOTEL VENUES, they are a bit too hard to bully luckily.

I left the word "girl" out of girlfriend for a reason ;-)

Hoping so at the end of the night however ...

Forget about spending your time stuck in a watering hole, you can do that any night of the year......it's NYE for crying out loud.....get out with all the people and take her to Thapae Gate......get involved in all what's going on there - it's great fun, she'll love it and there will be loads of booze selling places all around that area if you need it.

Sure, I was thinking more of the 1am to 5am timezone, and I should have specified "disco" rather than "pub". Certainly don't expect to be sitting on my arse drinking beer on NYE, especially with a 19-year old in tow licklips.gif

how long do people stay there? if it's like most countdowns most people will probably head off somewhere else after 12

As enjoyable as it is to listen to some posters on this forum always applauding the police 'for doing their job and enforcing the law', (let's wait for this brigade to jump in) the fact of the matter is that little that the police does has anything to do with enforcing the law in a consistent manner. Sometimes it's closing hours, sometimes it's something else. And one thing it's currently NOT (in Chiang Mai) is checking for the age of visitors to bars, pubs and clubs.

The calendar this year went like this: - crackdown on illegal music MP3 playing - crackdown on smoking inside establishments - crackdown on parking motorbikes in bar areas - crackdown on closing times, but only in a very small part of town.

In between these seasons there's often a minor sprinkling of enforcements that seem to be 'trending' in police circles, that's when some brown shirt says 'Hey, let's round up all the ladyboys again, we haven't done that in a while!'. Cheers all around, then they set off doing that for a week or so, until they get bored and move back to checking that school girls are wearing helmets when riding their motorbikes.

Anyway I digress: It's not 'checking for age-season' yet, but no doubt that one will come along again, perhaps next year. (And there's some overlap with the smoking crackdown, which is still in effect)

So no need to be concerned about her age.

As for bars closing on New Years Eve: YMMV, but chances are that more than enough bars and pubs will remain open long enough. And even if they don't, that won't stop the party. And if one area is closed, another will become extra hopping, so it's almost a good thing; it concentrates determined partyers in a smaller area. These days that area seems to be the Reggae area where Zoe in Yellow, Heaven Beach and Roots Rock Reggae are located (Boon Yu). I'm expecting that place to be epic, so well worth walking over there after the count-down at Thapae Gate.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I left the word "girl" out of girlfriend for a reason ;-)

Ehm... She's a woman of the Second Category?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

We have been led to understand that, as usual, opening hours will be relaxed on NYE. Many people go out for a bite to eat and a few beers around mid evening and then find either a friendly watering hole or brave the hordes at Thapae Gate for the Big Moment. It's unlikely that your Thai friend will have any problems. Plod, in any event is likely to be be out partying and won't be remotely interested in upholding the law.

It will be interesting to see how the council's 'alcohol free New Year' campaign fares!!! There may not be much booze on sale around the moat. Let's see!

It will be interesting to see how the council's 'alcohol free New Year' campaign fares!!! There may not be much booze on sale around the moat. Let's see!

I supose some miseries won't be happy until we have full prohibition of everything enjoyable......

post-7614-0-49391000-1325315426_thumb.jp

All the 'crackdowns' seem to be aimed at areas with blatant prostitution.

Once you move to more salubrious surroundings, the problems go away.

Avoid Loy Kroh, Moonmuang soy 1/2 and the immediate area, and you can drink and dance all night, every night.

Edited by ludditeman

Avoid Loy Kroh, Moonmuang soy 1/2 and the immediate area, and you can drink and dance all night, every night.

you obviously haven't read the thread: the major 'crackdown' seems to have been at Thapae Gate - not noted as a hotbed of 'blatant prostitution'

Loi Kroh rd, is an area of fun loving bar girls - there to beat you at pool, ponce drinks and lunge at you as you walk past. If you think that makes it a 'hotbed of blatant prostitution' you must know more than the rest of us!

you obviously haven't read the thread: the major 'crackdown' seems to have been at Thapae Gate - not noted as a hotbed of 'blatant prostitution'

Loi Kroh rd, is an area of fun loving bar girls - there to beat you at pool, ponce drinks and lunge at you as you walk past. If you think that makes it a 'hotbed of blatant prostitution' you must know more than the rest of us!

You can't be serious!! Get yer head out your till, open your eyes and see the real world around Thapae and Loy Kroy after midnight ++! There's none more blind etc, etc

JL