Do You Bring Your Tray To The Garbage Stand?

Travel2003

For all the members using Mc Donald's, Burger King, etc here in Thailand.

Do you, after finished, bring the tray over to the garbage stand, and empty it before putting on the top?

Did you when you lived back in the old land?

I do it more and more rarely.

I have stopped. Considering that the food is over priced compared to local full service restaurants, the fast food chains can pick up my tray. Besides, my leaving the tray makes sure that some unskilled kid has a job. This business of getting the customer to clean up is the biggest joke. It's not as if the cost savings are passed on to the consumers. The cost of the crud in the chains would be the same whether or not consumers did the tray return.

I used to, all the time, when I came here.

A year or two after, me and a colleague and his (local) gf went to a BK.

He stood up with the tray, and she went crazy.

She lectured him about taking away the job from the people already receiving money to do this.

Furthermore, I have a feeling it also had to do with social levels. She was a customer, and should not clean up after herself.

I agree with her.

We learned from home to be polite, but it was of course just a cheap and sneaky way from McD and BK to cut their costs.

I guess visiting the homeland 10 years from now, the McD and BK customers are flipping their own burgers as well?

Whenever I can.

I even wipe the table before I leave. It's so annoying to walk into a fast food restaurant where a good number of the tables have trays and crap left on them. I'm an oldie and it was the way I was brought up - always leave a place clean and tidy for the next person.

You can't rely on the staff to do it. They're often too busy having a group giggle in the back room (not naming A&W Level 6 of Central Festival).

Next time one of you guys go into Maccers and finds a nice clean table, it might just be my doing. And if you go into the toilet and find a nice clean toilet seat and wash basin, I could have been there too.wacko.png

Whenever I can.

I even wipe the table before I leave. It's so annoying to walk into a fast food restaurant where a good number of the tables have trays and crap left on them. I'm an oldie and it was the way I was brought up - always leave a place clean and tidy for the next person.

You can't rely on the staff to do it. They're often too busy having a group giggle in the back room (not naming A&W Level 6 of Central Festival).

Next time one of you guys go into Maccers and finds a nice clean table, it might just be my doing. And if you go into the toilet and find a nice clean toilet seat and wash basin, I could have been there too.wacko.png

cheesy.gif

I was sat in a bar once with my GF and reading the newspaper. When We'd finished and were about to leave I made to return the paper to the rack.

My GF exploded.

"Why you do that? You work here now?".

"What if it blows away?" I feebly replied.

"None of your business. Have people work here take care of that."

Not what I'd do back home, but then again, we're not back home are we?

Whenever I can.

if i have to sit down and the table has stuff on it..i give a staff person the nod..or if that fails i just put it on the floor or another table.. The floor option is very rare.

Doing the job for the staff is just enabling them to do nothing. 'the ol timer farang will come in and clean up the tables for us!'

I have paid for my food, which includes the seating and removal of refuse etcetera. They have bins to put your tray into so they can save some money on staffing... It isn't like they reduce the cost of food to you if u clean up... Another way to look at it is,everytime u clean the table, u are helping put someone out of a job.

Not for years...anywhere...

Exactly. Why should you? Nobody takes the the bed sheets to the cleaners before checking out . smile.png

There may be a few who take towels home to be washed!! tongue.png

I vary, mostly if the staff are busy I will empty the food tray, but if there are a few standing around I don't worry if I leave it

Edited by 473geo

If I were to eat anymore at one of these places I would not bring my tray to the garbage stand. By doing so I would be "working" and without the necessary work permit I do not want to break the law.

Edited by R123

I have stopped. Considering that the food is over priced compared to local full service restaurants, the fast food chains can pick up my tray. Besides, my leaving the tray makes sure that some unskilled kid has a job. This business of getting the customer to clean up is the biggest joke. It's not as if the cost savings are passed on to the consumers. The cost of the crud in the chains would be the same whether or not consumers did the tray return.

No, obviously the cost to the business is higher if your tray needs to be picked up and moved. This is rather common sense, no?It might only be a fraction of a satang but of course there is a cost.

Edited by farang000999

At my local Golf course's restroom are signs in English to please return used towels and the locker key to the counter... no signs in Korean, Thai, Japanese etc...

First I did return - until realizing the sign was only in English; maybe in a few years I am able to throw my dirty shoes on the counter with the same nonchalance like our Asian friends to get them cleaned by the staff.

if the place is busy and I'm alone I'll dump the tray refuse in the bin before I leave...grab tray-dump in bin-place tray on top...don't cost me nothin'...plus I leave a mess as I dump the fries and the ketchup on the tray itself and don't like anyone cleanin' up after me...

last summer when I was in the UK I was in McDs in Church St in Brighton and in the Kensington High Road and both were busy and both places were a tip...I wanted to put on an apron and a paper hat and go to work clearing the tables...just a reflex from working at McDs in the 60s, I suppose but they never had no indoor seating back then...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I'd never realised good manners were introduced by the fast food chains to save costs, though I have posted previously the (possibly untrue) impact of McDonalds on improving queuing habits in Hong Kong.

Personally, if I don't take the tray back to the refuse stand, I'll tidy everything on to the tray, wipe the table with a paper napkin if there's a clean one left, and stack the cups / boxes for ease of handling. It doesn't take long, and makes it easier for the next person.

What I do get annoyed by is people occupying tables in busy fast food restaurants when they're not eating. Typically one person occupying a table while their friends queue. I'm normally on my own, and I'm fairly sure I could wolf down whatever I've got before they're served. If I had intended to enjoy my meal, I'd have not gone to McDonalds...

SC

Furthermore, I have a feeling it also had to do with social levels. She was a customer, and should not clean up after herself.

I agree with her.

You guys sound like very down to earth people; do you have a maid to wipe your bum for you as well?

They will do that for you?? Mine only uses the bum-gun...

I agree with her.

You guys sound like very down to earth people; do you have a maid to wipe your bum for you as well?

They will do that for you?? Mine only uses the bum-gun...

Mine licks my stamps for me at the post office.

(Hands up all the people who thought they knew where that was going).

Always did it, always do it.

I see no harm in it, don't expect the "service", make it easier for the next customer...and I doubt, I am robbing a poor kid of an underpaid job.

...I also leave the restroom on a plane clean, as a courtesy for the next visitor.

I am such a nice guy!

I agree with her.

Don't think you got my point.

Let me try to explain.

;-)

With the word "she", I meant my friend's girlfriend, which is a local female.

We that have been here a while learn that there are actually social levels in the society.

Depending on the level, you do certain things (provide certain services).

;-)

When paying for a service, one expect the paid person to do it.

;-)