Do You Bring Your Tray To The Garbage Stand?

Travel2003

Never have and never will, in any country. Not my job.

I wipe my arse, even though I'm not paid for it. When I go for a picnic, I pick up my litter, even though I'm not paid for it. When I ran my own company, I emptied the bins, because they needed emptied. How difficult is it, to show a bit of courtesy to the next people to sit at that table? Obviously, too difficult for you, but do you have a measure, a quantification, of how little you care about the next customer?

SC

Never have and never will, in any country. Not my job.

I wipe my arse, even though I'm not paid for it. When I go for a picnic, I pick up my litter, even though I'm not paid for it. When I ran my own company, I emptied the bins, because they needed emptied. How difficult is it, to show a bit of courtesy to the next people to sit at that table? Obviously, too difficult for you, but do you have a measure, a quantification, of how little you care about the next customer?

SCy

The staff in fast food places are paid to serve and clean up. Why should anyone expect the customer to do it for them? Would you do it in a regular restaurant? Of course not.

I do it if there busy, I'm thinking of the next guy who needs a table, not too worried about the cash flow of the owner or the employment issues of Thailand in general.

Same here.

Have been told by a Thai (in England at the time) not to do it for the reasons already stated, but In Burger King MBK the other week the tables were covered in trays while the person employed to clear them was just standing at the counter talking to their mates the whole time. I'm not going to do it if they person paid to do it can't be bothered.

I used to, all the time, when I came here.

A year or two after, me and a colleague and his (local) gf went to a BK.

He stood up with the tray, and she went crazy.

She lectured him about taking away the job from the people already receiving money to do this.

Furthermore, I have a feeling it also had to do with social levels. She was a customer, and should not clean up after herself.

I agree with her.

We learned from home to be polite, but it was of course just a cheap and sneaky way from McD and BK to cut their costs.

I guess visiting the homeland 10 years from now, the McD and BK customers are flipping their own burgers as well?

My wife is the opposite. She always takes the tray and rubbish to the bin, and I always say to leave it. I think it's because she used to work in places like that.

I'm with the posters that say it gives employment to a local.

Take my tray back? Less and less now, (I don’t have a work permit) I frigging hate Mickey D’s and all the farang fast food outlets. I feel so guilty as I do use them, I find myself in Tesco’s, Big C’s or where ever and get this over whelming urge to eat something without having to use a spoon, I like a vampire in a blood bank.

McDonald's it is set up to be self serve. You place your own order, you return your own tray. You leave no tip. The same as self sevice gas stations. That keeps the price low. In other restaurants where you are served and leave a tip it is totally different. Of course in McDonald's you get the occasional person that thinks they should get cleaned up after for the whole 100 baht they paid for their meal. Thai's would think different with the class system but I would never take lessons in etiquette from a Thai anyway. My Thai wife has more class than 99% of Thai people and would never dream of leaving her trash for others to clean in a fast food restaurant. Have some class and clean up after yourself.

Edited by JoeInSurin

I don't eat that crap, so my vote doesn't count here.

Which is exactly why my first post started with:

For all the members using Mc Donald's, Burger King, etc here in Thailand.

Now, go back to your green restaurant.

;-)

The type of folk that take their tray over to the garbage stand are the type that would hold a door open for you, take their coffee cup out to the kitchen when finished at a friends house, takes their shoes off before entering a house, etc etc see its just every day manners. Some folk have been bought up like this from a very early age and they don't know any different and so they shouldn't. smile.png