Chewing With Open Mouth

Forethat

One thing I've noticed is that Thailand is filled with people who chew with their mouths open. It is more or less disgusting, but I'll leave that bit.

BUT, why are people doing this? During this years Christmas piss-up a friend and I wondered if it might have something to do with the fact that this country offers a lot of seriously spicy food, and that some people consume the type of food that is so spicy that muscles in the mouth begin to contract as a reflex.

Could this be the case?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've noticed is that Thailand is filled with people who chew with their mouths open. It is more or less disgusting, but I'll leave that bit.

BUT, why are people doing this? During this years Christmas piss-up a friend and I wondered if it might have something to do with the fact that this country offers a lot of seriously spicy food, and that some people consume the type of food that is so spicy that muscles in the mouth begin to contract as a reflex.

Could this be the case?

The funny thing is they then cover their mouths to use a toothpick!!!!!

I've wondered the same and asked, so here's the answer: Thai people are actually taught to eat with their mouths shut, however, some food is easier to chew when the mouth is slightly open. I've tried it myself and I have to agree. As long as you don't make it look like pig, you're good.

Funny....my wife told me that its considered rude to eat with your mouth open but I see everyone up here in Isaan doing it. Everything they tell foreigners not to do, I see everyone doing sitting with your feet pointed at someone, raising your voice, never showing your anger, etc etc.

I find it so off-putting that I refuse to eat with certain people who I know have this bad habit, both family friends and members of the wife's family. I always make a reasonable excuse and say that I will get something to eat later, but after a number of years they must have twigged that I do not like being at the same table with them at meal times.

There is no physical reason for this behaviour though. I can't even put it down to bad manners. For the latter you have to know what is right and what is wrong. I sincerely believe the vast majority of offenders have never been taught, copied their own parents, etc. and as such do not even know they are doing something that others find distasteful.

I can see where this thread is headed towards...a problem for us mods.

Per forum rules:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Topic moved to The Farang Pub.

No, i don't think so, the few educated thaipeeps i know don't do it, but the vast majority does.

So i think it is a value thing.

Still i think the majority here think I have a poor table manner, since i dont chew at all, i just shuffle in through a vacuum technique and swallow hole, it is highly efficient, i never saw anyone out-eat me

(except ba-mikeao soup, or any other soup with chili powder, vacuum principle simply dont work here)

Edited by poanoi

In allot of Asian cultures to chew loudly and with gusto and noise including mouth open is a sign or compliment to the cook that the food is good. Its not the favoured etiquette in western countries but we arent in a western country are we. My gf occasionally chews in a loud manner which is fine.. if my western grown children do it i tell them to close their mouth... horses for courses.. respect different cultures and their idiosyncrasies.......

Much rather have Thia's chewing loudly in my ear than a bunch of chinese expectorating and then spitting all over the place... as they do.

In allot of Asian cultures to chew loudly and with gusto and noise including mouth open is a sign or compliment to the cook that the food is good. Its not the favoured etiquette in western countries but we arent in a western country are we. My gf occasionally chews in a loud manner which is fine.. if my western grown children do it i tell them to close their mouth... horses for courses.. respect different cultures and their idiosyncrasies.......

Much rather have Thia's chewing loudly in my ear than a bunch of chinese expectorating and then spitting all over the place... as they do.

True, quite a few people in most countries on this continent do this, including burping, slurping, and the very annoying sound (smacking the lips???) when chewing.

Remember a female friend of my wife (from her home province) visited us when we lived in BKK. She worked in one of the factories near Lat Krabang.

She had the entire repertoire of these sounds and techniques while eating and drinking.

In her defense, she had no idea I did not approve of it, so I left the room instead of making a fuzz over it.

I told my wife later that we would NOT eat together again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny....my wife told me that its considered rude to eat with your mouth open but I see everyone up here in Isaan doing it. Everything they tell foreigners not to do, I see everyone doing sitting with your feet pointed at someone, raising your voice, never showing your anger, etc etc.

These activities belong to the category: Alright for me, but not for you.

I see everyone doing sitting with your feet pointed at someone,

The custom with regards feet pointing isn't that when you sit, you have to make sure your feet point away from people, it is that you should not use your feet to direct someone.

I had one Thai chick suggest that I had bad eating habits because I was just using a spoon instead of a fork and spoon to consume lunch once. I just rolled my eyes and kept eating.

When i first came to Thailand i couldn't bring myself to use the spoon as i had been taught that to do so was akin shovelling food - well at least for everything besides desserts. Seems daft now.

I told my wife later that we would NOT eat together again in the future.

That was harsh. No more candle-lit dinners for her then. What did she say? That you would NOT have sex together again in the future? biggrin.png

Good one.

Cherry picking quotes.

coffee1.gif

Could this be the case?

The funny thing is they then cover their mouths to use a toothpick!!!!!

Yep!!!! I was just going to post the same thing as if you can't just keep your lips tightly closed while doing so..

Since meeting my missus I've taken issue with this habit of lip smacking while eating. We don't accept it with our boys and yet she is away at work most of the week and when she comes home on her days off she's back at it like she never knew any better and I have to remind her all over again. It happened again just tonight and it rubs me wrong as it seems she is only patronizing me when she's around us but slips back into the 'bush' mentality when she is in her work circle and it's become quite an irritation..

Slightly off topic:

When my parents first visited I explained about the subtle cultural and dining nuances.

I informed my mother of the dining technique favored by Thai ladies when eating with a spoon and fork.

“The trick is to push the food onto the spoon with the fork, bring the fork to the lips then delicately use the fork to flick the food into ones mouth, it is considered poor form for a lady to permit eating implements to enter the mouth”

The first dinner was highly entertaining !

How about the Cantonese crowd who not only eat loudly , with their mouths open ,but also enjoy raucous conversation whilst holding little stores of food in their cheeks . Pure class that is and no easy feet .

How about the Cantonese crowd who not only eat loudly , with their mouths open ,but also enjoy raucous conversation whilst holding little stores of food in their cheeks . Pure class that is and no easy feet .

This southern circle are also known [and accepted] to fart whilst dining - company or not.

Chinese etiquette.