Honda Crv 12 Yrs Old

bankruatsteve

Just wondering if any thoughts as to what I might be able to do myself to correct a rough idle on my 12 yr old CRV? I recently replaced the plugs, air filter, and fuel filter thinking one of those might be the culprit. (and they needed anyway) BUT, still have a rough idle (about 6-800 rpm). At speed it runs great. I'm old school with cars: back then I could do it all but now I have no clue and probably not the tools. So, also wondering: if I can figure out how to get to the carb - is there going to be a screw for idle adjust? Or, do I need to just bite the bullet and do the computer checking?

I will assume a car that old is carburated? No computer checking to be/can't be done. The carburetor is located direct under the airfilter and there will be an idle screw on it.

You can try buy a carburetor cleaner liquid and ad in the fuel tank, it quite efficient used it sometimes for a Harley w/carb. I once had.

Edited by guzzi850m2

If you can get some 95 octane Caltex that does not have ethanol get a tankful of that, if not then find a container of fuel system cleaner (tank additive for petrol) maybe Tesco or Big C. Give it about 10km of riding around normal to let it percolate through the system and then make the engine work hard. I do not meen high revs, but high load. If is manual go 1st to 3rd and floor it, what this is trying to do is get a high fuel flow through the carby. If you can do make it work up a hill even better. If auto give it a few full throttle starts. This should clean out any gunk in the carby and make it run better. If it works remember to make the engine work hard occaisionally and that should stop it happening again.

Cheers

Typo's

Edited by Litlos

its injected and controlled by ecu, so first thing is to connect to diagnosis to detect faults. 6-800rpm sounds to slow anyway if its run gasohol, there could be several damaged parts in the fuelsystem, start with taking a look at rubber gasket on filler cap

if its run gasohol at any point, forget about the 95 caltex petrol advice. ethanol keeps fuel system and combustion chamber clean, but no petrol can repair the damages ethanol has caused to non ethanol tolerant parts

its injected and controlled by ecu, so first thing is to connect to diagnosis to detect faults. 6-800rpm sounds to slow anyway if its run gasohol, there could be several damaged parts in the fuelsystem, start with taking a look at rubber gasket on filler cap

if its run gasohol at any point, forget about the 95 caltex petrol advice. ethanol keeps fuel system and combustion chamber clean, but no petrol can repair the damages ethanol has caused to non ethanol tolerant parts

Yeah - when I look, I don't see anything that looks like a carburetor. So - aagh. I'm back to no clue. When Thailand started going to the gasohol, I asked Honda if OK and they said it was (well, actually the gf checked). The filler cap looks good. And, I'm thinking there shouldn't be anything in injector that would have problem with gasohol.

So, how does the idle get adjusted in these type of systems? If it's anything mechanical, I could give it a go. If it's something in a "computer", I could probably give that a go too, but - how to do?

Try the cleaning of the fuel system as I mentioned above, it works on injected system as well as carburettor. Is also relatively cheap and easy compared to digging into injection/ECU systems. The idea of the 95 octane is that it has more detergent than 91, I was put onto this by a mechanic and have found using the 95 as a cleaner remarkably effective. The Caltex fuel is also supposed to have extra cleaners in it as well. Not sure on the extra cleaner claim, however I have found by experimentation that Caltex is the better fuel to use for system cleanup.

If you have a problem with ethanol in the fuel system that is not designed for it you will generally know pretty quickly as the engine will probably not run or be very lacking in power. The ethanol causes swelling and flaking of non metallic fuel system components and the flaking bits should end up in the filter, blocking it. Hence the advice by KBB to look at the gasket on the filler. The best example I have seen of this was a truck that lasted 3km after getting the ethanol mix fill up, yes it was a petrol engine. Fuel filter completely blocked.

Cheers

Yeah - when I look, I don't see anything that looks like a carburetor. So - aagh. I'm back to no clue. When Thailand started going to the gasohol, I asked Honda if OK and they said it was (well, actually the gf checked). The filler cap looks good. And, I'm thinking there shouldn't be anything in injector that would have problem with gasohol.

So, how does the idle get adjusted in these type of systems? If it's anything mechanical, I could give it a go. If it's something in a "computer", I could probably give that a go too, but - how to do?

Visit Honda garage, and connect diagnosis. If faults detected, get a price to replace parts. If you want to try cleaning fuelsystem, do it properly with a fuelsystem cleaner available at Tesco or wherever.

Taking out the sparkplugs, gasohol damages can often be detected. Sparkplugs covered in a black shiny glazed tar, melted plastic and rubber.

Still need diagnosis, to detect which parts need replacing.

Yeah - when I look, I don't see anything that looks like a carburetor. So - aagh. I'm back to no clue. When Thailand started going to the gasohol, I asked Honda if OK and they said it was (well, actually the gf checked).

On the AUS Honda website they state 2003+ for the CRV to be using E10.

http://www.honda.com.au/cars_for-owners_ethanol.aspx

1. So, how does the idle get adjusted in these type of systems?

2. If it's anything mechanical, I could give it a go.

3. If it's something in a "computer", I could probably give that a go too, but - how to do?

1. Fuel gets adjusted by sensors controlled by the ECU the brain of the car.

2. Maybe you could but you still need a computer diagnosis and Honda have the codes.rolleyes.gif

3. No you couldn't unless you are a trained Technician and have specialized equipment.biggrin.png

Kbb best advice, could be sensors but rare, your injectors may need cleaning or need new 'O' rings, only a diagnosis will be able to tell you.

Edited by Kwasaki

Yeah - when I look, I don't see anything that looks like a carburetor. So - aagh. I'm back to no clue. When Thailand started going to the gasohol, I asked Honda if OK and they said it was (well, actually the gf checked).

On the AUS Honda website they state 2003+ for the CRV to be using E10.

http://www.honda.com...rs_ethanol.aspx

I think the OP's car is 12 years old, making it a 2000 model, so the previous generation to the 2003-05 generation (that has the k20 engine). So his car may or may not be compatible with gasohol. The honda garage should be able to advise on that for his car.

Thanks again for all the input. FWI: I've been running the gasohol for over 6 years now and everything runs great (except the idle). When I did the plug replace, the old ones just looked burned - as in ready to replace. So, given the catch 22 for the diagnosis, I may just not worry about it. Apparantly, the ECU thing is smart enough to keep the idle (ie: doesn't die) so maybe not to worry. Cheers.

1. So, how does the idle get adjusted in these type of systems?

2. If it's anything mechanical, I could give it a go.

3. If it's something in a "computer", I could probably give that a go too, but - how to do?

1. Fuel gets adjusted by sensors controlled by the ECU the brain of the car.

2. Maybe you could but you still need a computer diagnosis and Honda have the codes.rolleyes.gif

3. No you couldn't unless you are a trained Technician and have specialized equipment.biggrin.png

Kbb best advice, could be sensors but rare, your injectors may need cleaning or need new 'O' rings, only a diagnosis will be able to tell you.

+1

Thanks again for all the input. FWI: I've been running the gasohol for over 6 years now and everything runs great (except the idle). When I did the plug replace, the old ones just looked burned - as in ready to replace. So, given the catch 22 for the diagnosis, I may just not worry about it. Apparantly, the ECU thing is smart enough to keep the idle (ie: doesn't die) so maybe not to worry. Cheers.

A very slight vacuum leak can cause a rough idle but run smooth at higher revs, check all the vacuum pipes for any cracks or pin-holes, also

listen for any hissing noise when idling, i had this same problem with a 1998 BMW and it had a slightly perished vacuum pipe hidden under the plenum chamber, once replaced the idle was back to perfect.