Dual Pricing

samran

And the entrance fee(visa fee) alone for the UK national park is over baht 3,500(equivalent the amount of more than 15 times entrance fee to Thai national parks!!!)

Yes but if you Thai wife gets ill during her stay in the 'UK National Park' she will be treated by the National Health without question.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and Erawan Waterfall in Kanchanaburi will not let a farang looking person in for the Thai price regardless of documentation...

I visited Erawan last year, and paid Thai price by presenting my Work Permit.

That's fine JD, but what about the people that have retired here.They are not always wealthy and have no work permit. :o

Someone may be able to correct me if I am wrong (eg Sunbelt), but I am pretty sure you can get a Tax ID card without a work permit, as there are many sources of taxable income that don't involve work (eg investments, rental property). If you can get you hands on one of those then things may be a bit easier.

but then, what about the dozens of parks that DON'T accept tax cards, driver's licenses, work permits, or any other form of identification except a Thai national ID Card??

It's the inconsistent and uneven nature of this beast that aggrevates the situation above and beyond their not-so-subtle pricing on the entrance gates.

When I first came to Thailand four years ago, my Thai was very basic and I was just starting to read. I still hadn't grasped the numbers and for that reason, ended up paying the 'entrance fee 30 baht' for a few of the temples in Ayutthaya instead of the ค่าเข้า ๕ บาท. It was these entrance fee signs, which motivated and coerced me to memorize the numbers, as it made it practicle.

I thought you were half Thai - don't you have a Thai passport?

In other words, any Joe, John, or Bob can come to Thailand on an automatic 30 day visa by simply buying an air ticket. But if Chai, Chang, or Champ want to go to go to the west, they got to provide a ridiculous bank statement that perhaps Joe John, or Bob wouldn't even be able to provide, as our embassies hold an automatic standard (discriminate) that a Thai applying for a visa is either A. working in the sex trade or B. Planning to migrate eternally (unless he/she can prove otherwise with a bank statement, etc.) Then again, someone English or Australlian is almost garunteed a visa to the states on first application without the same standards and requirements.
If Chai, Chang and Champ don't have to show a bank statement, half of my province would be going to the west and many of them would overstay. They would have the chance to earn 20 times more money than they do in Thailand.

If Thailand paid the average westerner 20 times what they got paid, do you think the government would have the same policy of no bank statement required?

For example - Somchai gets paid 5,000 baht per month for his work in Thailand. He goes to the UK and marries a local lass. He gets a job there paying the minimum wage. He is getting 5,000 baht a week now!

Hamish gets paid the equivalent of 200,000 baht in the UK. He sacrifices this to get a job in Thailand, where his wife comes from, for a fraction of this. He lives on 20,000 baht a month and yet has to show that he spends 40,000 just to get a visa.

Thais think that they are cleverer than the farang. it is almost like a national pastime - scam the farang. The standards of living are SO different, most Thai people can't understand.

On channel 3 this morning there was a woman going on about how Thai people are clever compared to the farang. Secretly she would love to marry one, but she might get looked on as a whore. She was the typical Thai entertainer who is resenful at 'stupid' farang. They come here and they throw their money around, leaving a tip of 20 baht for a taxi-driver! Crazy! That is equivalent to a Thai going to London and leaving a tip of 20 pounds. Think of it this way and you might realise why Thais think that we are all loaded or stupid or both.

I know many Thais who have studied and/or worked in England. None of them come back here skint. They are all made for life with the savings they got there in an average of 10 years. If people could come to Thailand and work for 10 years then retire to their home country, without ever having to work again, but they had to speak Thai, what price would it be for Thai lessons?

our embassies hold an automatic standard (discriminate) that a Thai applying for a visa is either A. working in the sex trade or B. Planning to migrate eternally (unless he/she can prove otherwise with a bank statement, etc.)

This is usually the case if someone hasn't got the funds in the bank!

For a Thai to be able to go to the Uk for a 2 week holiday, they must be ridiculously rich, so no problem for all the guys I know who go there. For a Westerner to come to thailand for a 2 week holiday, they don't have to be rich. This is a simple fact - accept it, unlike many Thai people.

The average Thai person is good, but when you give him lots of rich people who don't know the value of the money, they are bound to get a bit greedy.

Really interesting what the local Isaan people say about young girls who go to Pattaya to sell their bodies - "it's normal, they are winning a jackpot".

QUOTE(robitusson @ 2005-11-28 11:51:01)

QUOTE(GuestHouse @ 2005-11-28 02:34:51)

When you find it, report it FairPrice-Thailand.org

There's people where I work in Bangkok who get 4 times the amount that locals get for the same job. Oh...hang on, I'm one of them. Better not correct that unfair pricing.

You are a teacher, right?

A native speaker is not doing the same job as a local.

I can't think of any job in Thailand where the farang gets paid more than the local for doing the same thing.

Christ, I want a job as a taxi driver, but I can't do it - why not?

I want to work in my wife's restaurant, but I can't do it - why not?

There are lots of things about Thailand that I could moan about, but in the end the advantages outweigh them by far.

The dual pricing is not too important, but the subsequent thoughts of the Thai population are. I was in a car crash last week and they were trying to put the blame on me, even the police.

Thai people are always the winners whether they go to farangland, or farang come to Thailand. The moaners are the ones who can't partake or get a pice of the pie.

I have met a few guys who complain about the dual pricing while leaving ridiculous tips at restaurant, in taxis etc. Please if you are coming to Thailand read about the culture regarding tips, you make us easy targets.

excellent points...

:o

For example - Somchai gets paid 5,000 baht per month for his work in Thailand. He goes to the UK and marries a local lass. He gets a job there paying the minimum wage. He is getting 5,000 baht a week now!

Hamish gets paid the equivalent of 200,000 baht in the UK. He sacrifices this to get a job in Thailand, where his wife comes from, for a fraction of this. He lives on 20,000 baht a month and yet has to show that he spends 40,000 just to get a visa.

You forgot about the cost of living. Even though the standard of living would be higher, the cost of living is also much higher. You think a Thai or anyone on that matter can survive alone (atleast in the states) on minimum wage? In Colorado the minimum wage is like six bucks (250 baht) So if Somchai was making 250 baht a day in Thailand which would work out to 4-5000 baht a month, he could still survive on his own with the basic necessities i.e. 2000 baht room, food, transportation. If he went to work in Colorado for 250-300 baht an hour, full time, he'd only pull in 1000-1500 bucks a month tops. The average non-subsidized apartment in Colorado is 7-800 bucks, and that's for one room studio, which is quite rare. Food and transportation is another story.

Really the only way to make good money in the states is if you already own your own house/car, or share with 3 or 4 roomates. Not to mention, making atleast four times the minimum wage to compensate for the high cost of living.

I did forget about the standard of living - good point, but most Thai guys would be sharing an apartment and be making more than the minimum wage, probably doing two or three jobs. If I were getting 20 times more in Thailand than I did in UK, I would be working all the hours God sends!

But, many don't come to Thailand for the money - nearly all Thais go to the West just for the money.

My English friend who is married to a Phillipino girl here in Thailand, whom have a one year old son together (with UK passport) just got denied a visitors visa to the UK for his wife. They were simply wanting to visit his parents/family for Christmas. Both work in Thailand. Aparently there UK and Thai bank statements didn't meet the requirement for a two weeks holiday or so was the reason for denial. Altogether, he had nearly 20,000 pounds to account for in UK and Thai accounts. How much do you really need for two weeks holiday? He obviously has a family there so they wouldn't be needing to rent out Bukhimham Palace.

There must be something that he isn't telling you.

We are visiting my parents for xmas, and got a visa for my wife, no problem.

I had about 1000 pounds in the bank.

My daughter has a British passport, maybe that helped.

Edited by Neeranam

Has anybody visited the newly opened establishment up on the 6th floor of Emporium called TCDC (Thailand Creative and Design Center), on the same floor where FSX movie theater is located? They opened an art library with multiple iMacs for free internet use, a multimedia room and a gallery for unlimited access to its members, which looked to me caters more to high-so Thais than the artists. I was interested in signing up for a membership, as it looked to me like a nice place to kill some time while waiting for a movie to start at the theater next to it, or while my wife is busy doing grocery shopping downstairs, rather than sipping latte at Starbucks in the Emporium suite lobby where it's often overcrowded these days.

So I did ask a lady at the counter who appeared to me like a curator of the library, who has produced a brochure that explains what the privileges are with each of the membership and what the fees are. And on this brochure written both in Thai and English, I found triple pricing policy based on 1) Student, Government Officials and Senior Citizen (600 Baht/yr), 2) Resident (1,200 Baht/yr) and 3) Non-Resident (3,600 Baht/yr.). I told her as soon as I came upon seeing the double (triple?) pricing on the brochure, that the dual pricing policy based merely on nationality or immigration status will more likely discourage a foreigner willing to sign up for a membership than encourage, but only to be brushed aside by "it's OK". She didn't care to finish listening the rest of what I had to say. Needless to say, I refused to sign up in a humble protest though like GuestHouse, I too have a Thai ID card and can sign up as a "resident" (because there was a time I was stupid to think I lost my Thai citizenship thinking Thailand does not allow dual citizenships and so I think I know how most foreigners feel about double pricing).

And like Sriracha John has pointed out, she said only Thai ID card is accepted as a proof of "resident".

Edited by Nordlys

And the entrance fee(visa fee) alone for the UK national park is over baht 3,500(equivalent the amount of more than 15 times entrance fee to Thai national parks!!!)

Yes but if you Thai wife gets ill during her stay in the 'UK National Park' she will be treated by the National Health without question.

Thanks for the hospitality.

Just to mention, if in chinese culture, to suggest that one is going to get ill over a stay means you have a very black heart. But since you are a farang, I take that you are not aware of it. But you mentioned that you are very aware of Thai culture? Somehow I doubt?

What about all my questions? You guys seem to not notice them whenever I bring them up! :o

Do people here who moan about this trivial dual-pricing ever wondered if yourselves deserve that much for what you are earning for a salary?

How much have you paid for the pair of jeans you are wearing?  Your pair of Nike shoes?  Who are the people behind them?  How much do you think they earn?  How much have YOU contributed?  You want EQUALITY? 

Go fight for it against the rich, the powerful!  No, but you won't.  You are enjoying this bloody system!! But you want more.  It's of course easier to squeeze the poor, right?

Why aren't people answering my questions? This topic has been discussed to ......!!!

But whenever I ask these questions, nobody answers!!!

Anyone brave enough to claim that they deserve whatever they received in Thailand???

State why! How the fxxx do you make your money???

People argue about dual pricing, why not start argue about dual income?

How much does a London black-cab driver earn comparing to a Bangkok driver??

Think about the difference!!!! Bloody ,,,,,a;f;alkfdkjl!!!

Sorry, just can't help. Especially with a little bit of booze!

QUOTE(meemiathai @ 2005-11-29 11:49:54)

Do people here who moan about this trivial dual-pricing ever wondered if yourselves deserve that much for what you are earning for a salary?

How much have you paid for the pair of jeans you are wearing?  Your pair of Nike shoes?  Who are the people behind them?  How much do you think they earn?  How much have YOU contributed?  You want EQUALITY?

Go fight for it against the rich, the powerful!  No, but you won't.  You are enjoying this bloody system!! But you want more.  It's of course easier to squeeze the poor, right?

I am not moaning about any dual pirices, but to answer your questions -

Many Thai people get a higher salary than me.

I paid 199 baht for a pair of jeans from the OTOP fair in Khon Kaen.

I bought a pair of trainers in Oz for 600 baht - defects from the factory, I think the people from Wallabararatta or something made them.

Some Thai people see some rich foreigners and think they are all the same.

Just to mention, if in chinese culture, to suggest that one is going to get ill over a stay means you have a very black heart. But since you are a farang, I take that you are not aware of it. But you mentioned that you are very aware of Thai culture? Somehow I doubt?

Are we discussing Thailand or China here? This being ThaiVisa, I assume we are discussing Thailand.

I'm quite certain we have enough nationalities on here to find someone who will have a cultural reason for not liking anything we say.

But to put your mind at rest. It can be demonstrated that saying something about the healthy travels of a total stranger has absolutely no bearing on their health... unless they worry too much about it that is.

Are we discussing Thailand or China here? This being ThaiVisa, I assume we are discussing Thailand.

I'm quite certain we have enough nationalities on here to find someone who will have a cultural reason for not liking anything we say.

But to put your mind at rest. It can be demonstrated that saying something about the healthy travels of a total stranger has absolutely no bearing on their health... unless they worry too much about it that is.

Artistic! Thanks!

To address your questions - Comments Inserted.

"Do people here who moan about this trivial dual-pricing

ever wondered if yourselves deserve that much for what you are earning for a salary?

How much have you paid for the pair of jeans you are wearing? [i'm not wearing jeans, but I take your point - I paid the market price for the trousers I am wearing- I bought them in Rome but they where made in China - I was not charged more because of my race, or imigration status]

Your pair of Nike shoes? [Again not Nike, but again, I paid the market price for my shoes and was not charged according to my race or imigration status]

Who are the people behind them? How much do you think they earn?

How much have YOU contributed? [Well I paid for them, if that's what you mean]

You want EQUALITY? [No - I want an end to discrimation on the grounds of race/imigration status]

Go fight for it against the rich, the powerful! [i'm fighting Thai Goverment Policy and the Copy Cat Policies of some major international hotel chains in Thailand - You do not get many people richer]

No, but you won't. [Yes but I have/am]

You are enjoying this bloody system!! [Eh? You mean like I enjoy the dentist - its good when it stops]

But you want more. [No, I just do not want to be discriminated against because of my race or imigration status]

It's of course easier to squeeze the poor, right? [Nearly right, but actually wrong - it is easier to squeeze any group of people once you identify them as being different and then present them as not deserving the same rights].

Next!

Edited by GuestHouse

And your other questions

Anyone brave enough to claim that they deserve whatever they received in Thailand???

[Yes I am, I was offered a contract to work in Thailand. I didn't have to sign it, my employer didn't have to sign it, but the contract met both my employer's needs and my expectations, so we signed.

When ten years later my employer offered me a new contract on less money, I left for Singapore where I got a deal I was happy with. I'm now in Italy, on another deal I'm happy with.]

State why!

[see above.]

How the fxxx do you make your money??? [Consulting to the PetroChemical Industry.]

People argue about dual pricing, why not start argue about dual income?

How much does a London black-cab driver earn comparing to a Bangkok driver??

Think about the difference!!!! Bloody ,,,,,a;f;alkfdkjl!!!

Sorry, just can't help. Especially with a little bit of booze!

[see - answers above regarding 'Paying the going rate'.]

"Do people here who moan about this trivial dual-pricing

ever wondered if yourselves deserve that much for what you are earning for a salary? which equates to the market value of my skills. If someone offers me more money/benefits I'll go work for them][/color]

Quality answers! I think I just have to respect the fact that different people have different thinking.

Hope you enjoy life.

Still nobody sincerely answering my questions! I thought farangs always boast about honesty and integrity? :o

Edited by meemiathai

Alright, let's make things straight! What are your skills? What money are you making? Do you deserve it, if you compare it to the whole population of the world?

How much is a farmer in Thailand making???? What are you giving and receiving in return???

Is David Beckham earning fair wages just because he is capable of playing a bloody ball within a few rais of land?

You talk about market? Whose bloody market is it?

WE ARE SIMPLY LIVING ON SOME OTHER PEOPLE'S BLOOD IF YOU DON'T REALIZE IT AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO APPRECIATE IT, FGS! GOOD LUCK!

Alright, let's make things straight!  What are your skills?  What money are you making?  Do you deserve it, if you compare it to the whole population of the world?

How much is a farmer in Thailand making????  What are you giving and receiving in return??? 

Is David Beckham earning fair wages just because he is capable of playing a bloody ball within a few rais of land?

You talk about market?  Whose bloody market is it? 

WE ARE SIMPLY LIVING ON SOME OTHER PEOPLE'S BLOOD IF YOU DON'T REALIZE IT AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO APPRECIATE IT, FGS!  GOOD LUCK!

have another drink and try again... :o

Alright, let's make things straight!  What are your skills?  What money are you making?  Do you deserve it, if you compare it to the whole population of the world?

How much is a farmer in Thailand making????   What are you giving and receiving in return??? 

You talk about market?  Whose bloody market is it? 

WE ARE SIMPLY LIVING ON SOME OTHER PEOPLE'S BLOOD IF YOU DON'T REALIZE IT AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO APPRECIATE IT, FGS!  GOOD LUCK!

have another drink and try again... :o

I am awake now. :D and don't feel like drinking anymore.

...to be sure, it doesn't stop me from exploring them. I’ve found that as a guest in at least 40 of them, thus far, covering all the geographic regions of Thailand, that they are far too splendidly beautiful, uniquely marvelous, and wondrously scenic to forego enjoying them based solely on their firmly entrenched policy of price discrimination.

IMHO, Thailand is the most desirable place to stay on this planet. Easily more often than not, I am held in awe of it’s magnificence. I do, however, wish to point out on occasion where it falls short of the mark. I do so because I care so much about what happens in this great land and that emanates out of the respect and admiration I have for Thailand.

Has anybody visited the newly opened establishment up on the 6th floor of Emporium called TCDC (Thailand Creative and Design Center), on the same floor where FSX movie theater is located?  They opened an art library with multiple iMacs for free internet use, a multimedia room and a gallery for unlimited access to its members, which looked to me caters more to high-so Thais than the artists.  I was interested in signing up for a membership, as it looked to me like a nice place to kill some time while waiting for a movie to start at the theater next to it, or while my wife is busy doing grocery shopping downstairs, rather than sipping latte at Starbucks in the Emporium suite lobby where it's often overcrowded these days. 

So I did ask a lady at the counter who appeared to me like a curator of the library, who has produced a brochure that explains what the privileges are with each of the membership and what the fees are.  And on this brochure written both in Thai and English, I found triple pricing policy based on 1) Student, Government Officials and Senior Citizen (600 Baht/yr),  2) Resident (1,200 Baht/yr)  and  3) Non-Resident (3,600 Baht/yr.).  I told her as soon as I came upon seeing the double (triple?) pricing on the brochure, that the dual pricing policy based merely on nationality or immigration status will more likely discourage a foreigner willing to sign up for a membership than encourage, but only to be brushed aside by "it's OK".  She didn't care to finish listening the rest of what I had to say.  Needless to say, I refused to sign up in a humble protest though like GuestHouse, I too have a Thai ID card and can sign up as a "resident" (because there was a time I was stupid to think I lost my Thai citizenship thinking Thailand does not allow dual citizenships and so I think I know how most foreigners feel about double pricing). 

And like Sriracha John has pointed out, she said only Thai ID card is accepted as a proof of "resident".

I just came across the advertisement of the above-mentioned TCDC in this morning's Bangkok Post. It says TCDC is a division of OKMD (Office of Knowledge Management and Development :o ), Office of the Prime Minister. Am I to understand the dual pricing policy is endorsed by the prime minister's office? :D

Guest House makes a point about discrimination based on race/immigration status. Regardless of official status---which obviously can easily be forged in the land of forgery, my holy oppinion is the Thais are in every right to accept 200 baht from the foreigner, Asian or western, unless in fact, he/she...

is able to

A. actually read the sign in Thai

B. communicate more fluently in Thai than the immigration officer can in English

Such criteria proves he/she has invested more time/understanding in the local culture than the average tourist who can give a flop less about this country beyond the go-go bars and full-moon parties.

Then again, that's just my oppinion.

Guesthouse, I veiwed your sight and find it interesting. However, there is one point I might suggest/inquire. Since you are protesting for equality and fairness to the Thais and their establishments/services, don't you think it's only fair to post the information in Thai as well. What about when you contact these establishments, do you write the letter onlyl in English? If so, I doubt it will have much effect with many establishments.

If I were the Thai owner of one of these establishments and recieved a letter only in English complaining and preaching fairness and equality, I would find it arrogant, granted I could even understand it all---that someone is demanding to be treated fairly, when that person won't/can't even speak/write my language in my country.

It depends who I'm writing to. When I wrote to the TAT and the Minsiter of Tourism I wrote in Thai.

When I wrote to the Sofitel I wrote in French and when I wrote to the Marriot, I wrote in English.

Interestingly, the TAT replied in both English and Thai.

You are barking up the wrong tree if you are questioning my Thai.

You are also still missing the point that it is not just about the price.

Meanwhile, let us know what you have done... for anyone other than yourself.

Hey, he's alledgedly spent time with Miss Thailand...

although that was totally discredited in another thread.

Guesthouse -

I admire your efforts to stand up for something you believe in. If you are interested in pushing your perspective further, I am happy to put you on a TV show I am involved with - PM me about it ok?

What have I done for someone other than myself? Well, let's see, raised 5m+ baht for registered charities over the last 15 months - I guess that would count for something. And no, this is not my job, this was voluntary.l

Sriracha John - it might pain you to know that I at one point I was actually very much part of the model scene (1/2 Thai and all that) so I know quite well several Miss Universes and Thailands. But the one in question, that was the Australian Miss Thailand World; yes did run into her right before she left; just when posting I do not take great care in getting all details correct. She would definitely be paying the foreigner price :D So not entirely discredited, although well done for raising that strawman argument at just the right time :D:D

It depends who I'm writing to. When I wrote to the TAT and the Minsiter of Tourism I wrote in Thai.

When I wrote to the Sofitel I wrote in French and when I wrote to the Marriot, I wrote in English.

Interestingly, the TAT replied in both English and Thai.

You are barking up the wrong tree if you are questioning my Thai.

You are also still missing the point that it is not just about the price.

No, I wasn't questioning your Thai, I was inquiring as the website seemed to be only in english from the quick browse I did.

As it is aparent that one of the main targets is these Thai establishments, I was suggesting that Thai language would be more user friendly for a majority of such establishments.

Perhaps I am underestimating the general Thai business English language skills.

Either way, with Thai (atleast a Thai version) your message would effectively reach a larger online audience, that may/may not be relevant. And for folks like me who easily assume and write-off ideas --it would make your point more credible as people could see that you're not just some moaning tourist with lots of time on his hands.

It's not just the price, it's about discriminaton. I get that. And in certain cases, I agree that it's unfair and racist---particularly when they generalize all foreigners as tourists. I think you'll find in the actual National Park regulations that students studying in Thailand, regardless of nationality, pay the cheaper student fare which is like 5 or 10 baht simply by showing their ID card. This is the same for student passes on BTS, for example

However, I still think actual tourists should pay the full price, not because of their race, but because of their purpose/status in the kingdom. It's an economical exchange. Many tourists, who are in fact on holiday, have the money to spend and even the full price is quite cheap compared to their home countries. Why should they reap the benefits of those of us working, paying taxes, studying here? It's only fair that long-term residents who have local income and pay taxes here should have the same rights as locals paying the subsidized fee. I wish this extended to other areas, i.e. medical, education, and real-estate, but it doesn't, atleast not yet.

Thanks to such efforts of some, maybe it will happen some day. There was a time when foreign nationals had important positions in government...oh back during King Narai. I digress.