Its That Time Of The Year Again - Time Load The Pickup

GuestHouse

Its That Time of the Year Again - Time once again for Thais to load up their pick-up and take their Motocy', Fridge, Stantion Fan, TV and anything else that's. not bolted down on holiday.

Haul it all up country and then haul it all back again.

Its That Time of the Year Again - Time once again for Thais to load up their pick-up and take their Motocy', Fridge, Stantion Fan, TV and anything else that's. not bolted down on holiday.

Why on earth would they do that?

No Thais i know, or have ever known do this.

Many leave Bangkok and other industrial cities to visit their families upcountry and might have a pick up truck. They might buy presents like a tv or fridge but certainly wouldn't take it on holiday.

Many leave Bangkok and other industrial cities to visit their families upcountry and might have a pick up truck. They might buy presents like a tv or fridge but certainly wouldn't take it on holiday.

I'm not suggesting these are the Thai people you know, but right now we're just passing Nakhon Sawan on our way up north. The youngsters in the backare counting the various combinations of Fridge, Fan, MotoCy and TV in the back of Pick-ups. In various combinations they've counted 38 examples since Ayutthaya.

It will be interesting to compair the count on rhe way back .... If these are indeed Gifts or being taken on tour.

You forgot.......

Blind drunk killing and maiming as they go......mai bpen raiwai.gif

Nothing odd or strange about this, I am sure lots do this I know 2 families that do this every year, they do there duty every year and visit there folks in the north, often the elderly parents up north [or anywhere really] only have 1x fan and small fridge and TV, the family going to Visit take the extra fan or fans, there own bigger fridge and TV, may even be the only way that the kids [grand children] would even go to some remote village.

3 houses down from me in the Village we both left in the floods together, after 6km and over an hour we go out of the water, they have 2 teenagers we stopped and we were going south, they decided to go north to stay with the parents,.......

On returning 4 days after us, they had 2 fans, TV and fridge they had to buy up there so they could live for 4 weeks, the parents did not want them, so they put the new items on the pickup and brought them back...

That's bound to happen when the majority opt to buy toys instead of land.

smile.png

Their not as wise as you Chinese Thais. Or maybe they have a freedom that you don't. I haven't decide who are the ignorant ones.

Which freedom is that? The freedom to choose which bank or money lender they are in debt to? Seriously though, just a little more discipline and planning would do wonders for the 'all assets in the bed of their pickup' crowd.

:)

I'm not suggesting these are the Thai people you know, but right now we're just passing Nakhon Sawan on our way up north. The youngsters in the backare counting the various combinations of Fridge, Fan, MotoCy and TV in the back of Pick-ups. In various combinations they've counted 38 examples since Ayutthaya.

It will be interesting to compair the count on rhe way back .... If these are indeed Gifts or being taken on tour.

Will you be hauling your junk back or leaving it upcountry?

Edited by rgs2001uk

Whatever happens don't get caught up in the traffic on New Years Eve, many many years ago I tried to take a limo from the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza on Silom to Don Muang in order to catch my flight back to London and spend New Years Eve with my family. Four hours and about three kilometers later we were forced to abandon the journey and return to the hotel, the then Mrs CM in the UK was unimpressed to learn that she would spend New Years alone whilst I would spend mine near Patpong!

Whatever happens don't get caught up in the traffic on New Years Eve, many many years ago I tried to take a limo from the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza on Silom to Don Muang in order to catch my flight back to London and spend New Years Eve with my family. Four hours and about three kilometers later we were forced to abandon the journey and return to the hotel, the then Mrs CM in the UK was unimpressed to learn that she would spend New Years alone whilst I would spend mine near Patpong!

I was intending to leave BKK at 6.00am on Friday and drive to Chiang Mai, am I looking at a nightmare journey? would I be better to leave Thursday?

I was intending to leave BKK at 6.00am on Friday and drive to Chiang Mai, am I looking at a nightmare journey? would I be better to leave Thursday?

My tale above relates to me attempting to travel a relatively northbound short distance in Bangkok on the evening of 30 December.

I doubt that much has changed from my experience of fifteen years ago, most Thai's still want to go home at that time of year and road travel is their cheapest option. That being the case expect to see traffic jams the like of which you could never imagine in your wildest nightmares, all manner of vehicles loaded to the gills with everything from household appliances to furnitiure and live stock - imagine a refugee exodus from a major city comprising several million people and you'll get the picture. Good luck.

Edited by chiang mai

I could be wrong but I would have thought that leaving at 6 am should be quite ok. Officially Friday is still a working day though I would expect that most companies would knock off around midday. Having said that, if you could leave at around 4 am, that would probably be even better. Have a good trip. I will be doing the same myself, except NE instead of N.

Not sure I find it odd that people are carrying tvs refrigerators and fans to areas that have been hit hard by flooding, ever consider maybe these are replacements for people who have lost most everything?

If it's around Ayutthaya, these folks might just bring back to their home stuffs that they were able to save from the floods.

Same daily "cargo" traffic for the last ten days here, around Nonthaburi.

I'll be interested to find out how you fared with your journey, when did you travel and how bad was the traffic?