Yingluck To Be Star Guest In India

webfact

Yingluck to be star guest in India

Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

New Delhi

30172796-01_big.jpg

PM invited for Republic Day; to sign trade, tech pacts

Prime Minister Yingluck Shina-watra has been invited as the chief guest at India's Republic Day celebrations during her visit from January 24-26.

The Thailand-India Joint Commission (JC), which wrapped up its sixth meeting here yesterday, discussed preparations for Yingluck's high-profile visit and the agreements to be signed during the visit, said Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

Republic Day commemorates India's constitution going into force on January 26, 1948.

Only one head of state or government of a foreign country is selected as the chief guest for the celebration each year.

The JC, co-chaired by the foreign ministers of the two countries, is a platform to discuss mutual cooperation and relations. Its last meeting was held in Thailand in 2007.

Officials discussed ways to strengthen ties and boost cooperation for mutual benefit as well as connectivity of Asean and India via Thailand, Surapong said.

Both sides agreed to set up a joint working group to carry on the linkage of transportation by sea and land between Thailand and India via Burma, he said.

Yingluck is scheduled to arrive in India on January 24 to boost ties and cooperation before joining the celebration of Republic Day on January 26.

The pacts being prepared for signing during Yingluck's visit include a protocol for framework agreement on free trade, action programmes for cooperation on science and technology and culture as well as a memorandum of understanding on security cooperation.

On the free trade scheme, the two countries would increase the number of items from 82 to 83 for "early harvest" by adding refrigerators.

The Thai-Indian free trade agreement has not yet been concluded and Surapong said his government tried to make it by the middle of next year.

On science and technology, the two countries would cooperate on satellites, in which India has expertise.

On security cooperation, both sides would cooperate on non-war security matters, including intelligence sharing and training.

The JC meeting also addressed other issues such as aviation rights, visa arrangements to facilitate visits of Buddhism monks, Thai pilgrims, businessmen and ordinary tourists to India as well as support for the restoration of Nalanda University, which is the ancient centre of higher education in Bihar, and the cerebration of the 2,600th anniversary of Lord Buddha's enlightenment, he said.

In an informal meeting with his India counterpart SM Krishna, Surapong said both sides agreed to restore the strategic partnership initiated by Thaksin Shinawatra's government.

The strategic relationship would be announced when Yingluck visits India, he said.

India wants to develop good ties with Thailand as it regards the country as a regional hub, he said, adding that both countries have compatible policies as India is looking East while Thailand is now looking West.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-28

What an absolutely fantastic honour for the fledgling thai PM, and of course her coalition government,,smile.png

And can only be interpreted as International admiration and recognition for the performance of the first woman PM of thailand

I really hope she will be able to attend this meaningful event..

Well done PM Yingluk, excellent news

Edited by VoterPower

It has been a lot of good news lately on the international front. Not a day without a report on how Thailand relation with its neighbours has improved. Long gone (6 month is a long time, isn't it ? smile.png ) are the days when the government were picking fights with everybody abroad and almost starting a war with Cambodia for short term political gain.

Of course, the yellow brigades and their sexpats friends prefer to have fun with silly nick names. But the world is recognizing the new government as a force of progress for Thailand. That's what really matter for anybody with a brain.

Edited by JurgenG

It has been a lot of good news lately on the international front. Not a day without a report on how Thailand relation with its neighbours has improved. Long gone (6 month is a long time, isn't it ? smile.png ) are the days when the government were picking fights with everybody abroad and almost starting a war with Cambodia for short term political gain.

Of course, the yellow brigades and their sexpats friends prefer to have fun with silly nick names. But the world is recognizing the new government has a force of progress for Thailand. That's what really matter for anybody with a brain.

Besides Cambodia, who were the Democrats picking fights with?

In an informal meeting with his India counterpart SM Krishna, Surapong said both sides agreed to restore the strategic partnership initiated by Thaksin Shinawatra's government.

The strategic relationship would be announced when Yingluck visits India, he said.

India wants to develop good ties with Thailand as it regards the country as a regional hub, he said, adding that both countries have compatible policies as India is looking East while Thailand is now looking West.

The years from the coup to the return to democracy in July have really been a low for international relation for Thailand.

Both the military and the democrats have an idea of an isolated Thailand that doesn't fit in our century. I can safely say that everybody who is involved in international business is happy with the return of a government that understand their needs

_

Edited by JurgenG

Of course, the yellow brigades and their sexpats friends prefer to have fun with silly nick names. But the world is recognizing the new government has a force of progress for Thailand. That's what really matter for anybody with a brain.

Apart from that Mrs Lincoln how did you enjoy the performance?

Actually relations have improved across the board - both with ASEAN neigbours and internationally.Three main reasons.Firstly this is a government, unlike its predecessor, with clear legitimacy.Secondly it does not have an incompetent munchkin (with a terrorist background) as Foreign Minister.Thirdly the character of the PM is attractive and polite, which has eased diplomatic relations.

None of this fits in with the usual suspects narrative, so I understand their frustration.

Actually relations have improved across the board - both with ASEAN neigbours and internationally.Three main reasons.Firstly this is a government, unlike its predecessor, with clear legitimacy.Secondly it does not have an incompetent munchkin (with a terrorist background) as Foreign Minister.Thirdly the character of the PM is attractive and polite, which has eased diplomatic relations.

None of this fits in with the usual suspects narrative, so I understand their frustration.

So who else were the Democrats picking fights with?

You should address that question to the person who made the proposition.

I merely explained why diplomatic performance of the current government is so markedly superior to that of its predecessor.

I didn't single out the democrats, I was talking about the various governments from the coup until the July election. Just after the coup, the then government started a diplomatic row with Singapore. And just at the end before the election in July, it was Germany. And in the middle with almost everybody who couldn't understand that a military coup and a government installed by a junta wasn't legitimate forms of democracy.

Edited by JurgenG

Their own fellow citizens?

I merely explained why diplomatic performance of the current government is so markedly superior to that of its predecessor.

I did and you responded with out actually answering it. But from your response I see that there aren't any other countries that the Democrats picked a fight with.

Their own fellow citizens?

Yes. ("on the international front") Thaksin.

It was not so much as picking fights with people, but rather picking on people. I draw your attention to the following;

1. Since the removal of the military dictatorship and its successor allies, the Democrats, there are fewer issues in respect to the treatment of refugees. Although the situation is not perfect, there are far fewer international interventions on behalf of the refugees. The Rohingyas mistreatment is not as common as it once was.

2. In respect to international public health efforts, the situation has calmed. relations were downright hostile during the military junta rule and although to be fair, the Abhisit regime inherited that problem, Mr. Abhisit's government didn't do much to reinstate confidence, particularly since health funding was sidelined in favour of a bigger military budget.

3. In terms of the Democrats picking fights with other nations, they really were not in a position to pick a fight. As you may recall, Mr. Abhisit was not particularly well regarded in other countries because of the manner in which he came to power. You may dismiss that opinion if you wish, but the fact is that every country ignored the warrant for Mr. Thaksin and Mr. Abhisit's regime did not conclude or further any major trade deals. I direct your attention to the slow but steady progress Thailand has been making with its neighbors in respect to addressing the development of energy sources in its seas.

It is unfortunate that you are so filled with hatred for the PM that ou are unable to see that she has made a difference in how foreign governments perceive Thailand. We now have a genuine elected government.

I did and you responded with out actually answering it. But from your response I see that there aren't any other countries that the Democrats picked a fight with.

Huh? Am I to answer points I didn't raise? I don't even believe the the Democrats were picking fights.The problem was just sheer incompetence.

I appreciate it's irritating for you and the other usual suspects that this government's performance in foreign affairs is so superior. Just suck it in and remember it's actually good for Thailand, and on that all should be able to agree.

What an absolutely fantastic honour for the fledgling thai PM, and of course her coalition government,,smile.png

And can only be interpreted as International admiration and recognition for the performance of the first woman PM of thailand

I really hope she will be able to attend this meaningful event..

Well done PM Yingluk, excellent news

Perhaps the Indians will be rather unhappy even shocked to receive a political leader from Thailand who is clearly only in power because of her dynastic connections.

On the other hand perhaps they wont be.Jawaharlal Nehru - Indira Ghandi - Rajiv Ghandhi - Sanjay Ghandhi - Sonia Ghandhi - Rahul Ghandhi - Priyanka Ghandhi.

Perhaps the Indians will be rather unhappy even shocked to receive a political leader from Thailand who is clearly only in power because of her dynastic connections.

On the other hand perhaps they wont be.Jawaharlal Nehru - Indira Ghandi - Rajiv Ghandhi - Sanjay Ghandhi - Sonia Ghandhi - Rahul Ghandhi - Priyanka Ghandhi.

I wonder how many political leaders, in the world, would be in power without 'dynastic connections' or their connections to lots and lots of money...

Well Yinluck I hope you think adding refrigerators to the list of free trade goods is worth a 3 day trip to India, and of course your out of the loop.

Back at home while the cats away the mice will play

Would it be so difficult for you to show some basic manners and respect for the duly elected Prime Minister of Thailand? You may refer to her as Madame Prime Minister, or PM Yingluck. At least spell her name correctly. Can you manage that?

it is part of the responsibilities and duties of a PM to represent the national interests of Thailand abroad. When the PM makes the short trip to Delhi, she brings with her important business leaders and her presence helps these business people undertake and conclude commercial and mercantile agreements. This is what happens when PMs make trade related visits. It's called helping the Thai economy. There are sufficiently capable ministers and a well respected deputy PM that will be on hand to ensure the smooth operation of government services during her absence.

Well Yinluck I hope you think adding refrigerators to the list of free trade goods is worth a 3 day trip to India, and of course your out of the loop.

Are you saying a woman's place is at home. Maybe you're out of the loop...

I wonder how many political leaders, in the world, would be in power without 'dynastic connections' or their connections to lots and lots of money...

Best to ask George Bush I, or George Bush II, or maybe Governor Jeb Bush. Maybe the Kennedys can assist? In Canada, the snotty offspring of the long dead former PM Trudeau thinks that he is the chosen one to become PM. and then there are the Korean and Japanese political and business dynasties. Mind you no one currently compares to the Great Leader -Dear Leader - Fatty Leader dynasty of asia's star, North Korea.

Would it be so difficult for you to show some basic manners and respect for the duly elected Prime Minister of Thailand? You may refer to her as Madame Prime Minister, or PM Yingluck. At least spell her name correctly. Can you manage that?

it is part of the responsibilities and duties of a PM to represent the national interests of Thailand abroad. When the PM makes the short trip to Delhi, she brings with her important business leaders and her presence helps these business people undertake and conclude commercial and mercantile agreements. This is what happens when PMs make trade related visits. It's called helping the Thai economy. There are sufficiently capable ministers and a well respected deputy PM that will be on hand to ensure the smooth operation of government services during her absence.

A well respected deputy PM.

Not hard to get your respect.

Time will tell on whether the deals were taking advantage of her naiivety, which is also a real possibility.

A well respected deputy PM.

Not hard to get your respect.

Odd, as I do not respect your views.

There are 5 deputy PMs in Thailand. You probably did not know that, yet you still managed to make a snide comment. Now try, and think clearly and follow the reasoning;

- Deputy PMs in Thailand are appointed for various reasons, mostly because they have clout or an ability to get things done. This equates to respect from others in the political world.

- They do not need the approval of foreigners.

- Respect does not mean they have to be loved.

- Two of the Deputy PMs of the current cabinet occupy their respective positions because of their close relationship and RESPECT that they have from the military and key power brokers in Thailand.