Looking For Good Neighborhood To Live In.

bottledwater

Hi,

I've searched the forum but not come up with any threads that really match what I want to ask. I have lived in Thailand a few years, mostly in BKK. I've only been in CM twice each for a couple of days but I would like to move up there for a few months and see how i like it. BKK is just too much city sometimes and I would like something a bit more quiet and I thought my 30K a month would go farther up in CM.

I don't have a car or a scooter but I walk a few miles a day for exercise so walking a bit is no issue. I speak a little Thai but can't read it. I also like to go out for a pint once or twice a week and maybe buy a nice girl a drink, purely for educational purposes mind you . . . . . For apartment buildings I'd like to save money in that area or at least get more for my money compared to BKK. (I have a small studio with Fridge TV and internet for about 7K a month).

So in my mind i would like a place on a quiet leafy soi where I could still take a longish walk to "town" and by "town" i mean wherever the old folks hang out for a beer. Too close and I end up getting into trouble . . . . . . . I also like shops serving a good cup of coffee and having a Big C or a Tesco around is also a plus. Might also join a gym and try to work off those pints.

Thanks for any pointers anyone cares to share, or even if moving to CM is cheaper than BKK at all?

Thanks in advance

BW

I also like to go out for a pint once or twice a week and maybe buy a nice girl a drink, purely for educational purposes mind you . . . . .

Yes, in much the same way as some countries go whaling for research purposes. smile.png

For apartment buildings I'd like to save money in that area or at least get more for my money compared to BKK. (I have a small studio with Fridge TV and internet for about 7K a month).

So in my mind i would like a place on a quiet leafy soi where I could still take a longish walk to "town" and by "town" i mean wherever the old folks hang out for a beer. Too close and I end up getting into trouble . . . . . . .

Understood.. In that case, I think I would probably get an appartment downtown, in the Old City. The best for walks, relatively quiet as most the traffic is around the moat on the outside and beyond, and there are plenty affordable apartment buildings. Pick something a bit more to the West to get some distance to the Thapae bar area.

A good second option I think would be in a soi off Suthep road near Chiang Mai university, though that's a much more substantial walk to Thapae.

Less leafy, but very vibrant is the Santitham area. But also a substantial walk to Thapae.

You get more options if you buy as much as a bicycle. (Or motorbike of course)

Thanks for any pointers anyone cares to share, or even if moving to CM is cheaper than BKK at all?

***MUCH*** cheaper at the level you describe. At the rock-bottom low end there's less in it, and also at the very high end, (the end where people get all important stuff for everything in their house and in and on their body) the difference is also less. But in that mid range sweet spot, it's a night and day difference. In my opinion. I know how shocked I am every time I go to Bangkok.

Do note however that you will of course take a couple weeks/months to really save money; I bet you know how to spend less in Bangkok now than a new arrival does, too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

East of the river, around Gymkana Club. There are plenty of leafy sois, and the further from the river you go the closer you get to the two Big C's on the superhighway. 2-5 km from ThaPae gate depending on how far towards Big C you go. Houses approx 5k/month.

Otherwise some of the sois behind Lanna Hospital should have houses in your budget. About 3-4km to ThaPae gate, again about 5k/month for a small house. This is close to Tesco Lotus.

You might want to try Riverside apartments. What is good about them is that they are right near a nice market and accessible to most red truck routes. Nothing beats the big trees on the side of the road for leafy environs.

It is not on some sidestreet but it is ok.

I have lived in the country near Lamphun for 6 years, in a quiet village, lovely people and very secure.

1.5 Klicks to Big C & Makro.

Just 200 metres from a couple of bars, 500 metres from the market.

Ground floor bungalows unfurnished 3K a month.

thaileader

You might want to try Riverside apartments. What is good about them is that they are right near a nice market and accessible to most red truck routes. Nothing beats the big trees on the side of the road for leafy environs.

It is not on some sidestreet but it is ok.

Apartments at Riverside for less than 7k a month including internet are thin on the ground to say the least.

I have someone you should talk to. She's a very straight-up Thai businesswoman with many properties around Chiang Mai. Prices for the sort of accommodation you're accustomed to having run 3500-6000, and you can be very much in town. I've used her for three properties now, and she's been aces at finding me what I want. Feel free to message me, and I'll be happy to pass along details, including telephone number.

I have been following this thread with interest. I am at present living and working in Bangkok and plan to retire to Chiangmai some time next year (when the UK Pensions Office have sorted out my claim). My income will then be in the region of 30K baht per month. It has been good to see that no-one has yet queried the possibility of a quiet but comfortable existence in Chiangmai on such an amount. I will probably rent a condo for a few months before finding a suitable single-storey house. I am looking forward to becoming part of the Chiang Mai community.

I have been following this thread with interest. I am at present living and working in Bangkok and plan to retire to Chiangmai some time next year (when the UK Pensions Office have sorted out my claim). My income will then be in the region of 30K baht per month. It has been good to see that no-one has yet queried the possibility of a quiet but comfortable existence in Chiangmai on such an amount. I will probably rent a condo for a few months before finding a suitable single-storey house. I am looking forward to becoming part of the Chiang Mai community.

Some people don't seem to have discovered this thread yet. Can't be long before someone starts carping about 'cheap charlie's' coming to live here on less than 150,000 a month. Fact is there are many I know living quite happily on 30,000 and in some cases, even less. Fairly easily achieved with sensible thinking and very sensible drinking.

Some people don't seem to have discovered this thread yet. Can't be long before someone starts carping about 'cheap charlie's' coming to live here on less than 150,000 a month.

This is the third or fourth such reference and yet it is not happening. wink.png

Maybe I can kick things off; of course not by jumping right in and living up to the stereotype loud mouth big spender, but by making a sensible comment that still slightly sets this topic on the course you all seem to wish for.

So my sensible comment would be that there is a difference with an average 30K monthly budget for regular cost of living, and having this 30K be all you got in the world. In case of the former, so as a budget, it's just fine. Spartan in places perhaps, but essentially fine. In case of the latter, i.e. for people on an income (often exchange-rate dependent income) of 30K a month, these folks will sooner or later get into trouble when there are major unexpected costs, especially healthcare related costs. And then there is the retirement visa requirement, meaning you need either an amount of money in a Thai bank, or a regular income of at least 65K per month. (Not sure if it's 60 or 65) If you're not on a retirement visa then you would need to do frequent visa runs, typically flying out and back in, and that's hard on 30K.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thank you Winnie -- I was thinking the same thing. Yes, someone can live comfortably on 30,000 baht per month in CM without expensive hobbies. But, if their total monthly income is 30,000 baht per month and they don't have at least a couple hundred thousand baht stashed away for emergencies, then they can really have a problem when the inevitable health care crisis hits.

The private Thai hospitals (like Ram, Sripat, Rajavej, Lanna) have no obligation to provide health care -- they will send you off to Suan Dok, the public government hospital, where you will be "stabilized" until you can come up with funds to pay for care or until your friends and consulate can figure out how to get you to your home country. I've seen what happens to expats who try to live month-to-month on 30,000 baht income, with no savings, once they're hit by a motorcycle or have a heart attack. It's really nasty, ugly and inhumane, especially if they've burned their bridges to their adult children in their home country.

Please, please, please rethink remaining here if your only income is 30,000 baht per month and you have no savings or willing relatives in your home country to help if you're in distress.

All of the English speaking countries have programs to help indigent people, especially those over age 65. Sure, it may not be as fun as living in CM, but at least they won't let you die in a hospital emergency room.

Please, please, please rethink remaining here if your only income is 30,000 baht per month and you have no savings or willing relatives in your home country to help if you're in distress.

All of the English speaking countries have programs to help indigent people, especially those over age 65. Sure, it may not be as fun as living in CM, but at least they won't let you die in a hospital emergency room.

Very good advice as usual.thumbsup.gif

I have taken careful note of NancyL's advice. My plan is to retire to Chiangmai and live on something in the region of 30,000 baht per month - with substantially more than a few hundred thousand baht in the bank. If and when my savings fall below a certain amount I shall reluctantly return to the country of my birth, and (for the previous poster) will then be able to visit Brisbane Road again.

Edited by freebornjohn

I have taken careful note of NancyL's advice. My plan is to retire to Chiangmai and live on something in the region of 30,000 baht per month - with substantially more than a few hundred thousand baht in the bank. If and when my savings fall below a certain amount I shall reluctantly return to the country of my birth, and (for the previous poster) will then be able to visit Brisbane Road again.

Why did you have to mention Brisbane Road? crying.gif

Actually, I'm impressed. thumbsup.gif