Are Road Surfaces Getting More Slippery

smedly

I've noticed of late that on certain roads I've been travelling for years seem to be offering less and less traction, my rear wheel spins right through to 4th gear now under hard acceleration - quite unsettling especially going hard into corners when considering the lack of traction, rear tyre may play a roll in this though as it's a dual compound tyre BS BT23, they are a harder compound in the center area

Edited by smedly

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that if the road service has a "polished" look, it is more than likely to be slick.

Constant vehicle traffic, the hot sun beating down on the black surface, will cause the oil in the asphalt to rise to the surface, where passing traffic will polish it smooth.

The Canal Road here in CNX is a good example. One of the LH S-turns causes my bike front tire to 'wash-out' if I try and carry any speed thru the corner.

Yes, absolutely!

I am not sure why it's happening just now, but some roads have gotten a lot more slippery. Looks like oil/Diesel residue to me.

I live on Canal road and can confirm it's definitely much worse than usual there, but I've also noticed it on other roads. I had the ABS kick in while going not very fast on brand new Diablo Rosso 2s around the moat in CM.

Come to think of it: The only thing that changed in the last week is that it got cold. So my guess is there is some connection - cold = slippery?!

Edited by nikster

yeh it's getting a bit unnerving to say the least, I'm finding myself to be more road surface grip concious than I would have been in the past, when I said 4th gear you should feel it in 1st 2nd and 3rd, 1st gear requires some very tentative power delivery on some roads lol but I guess just something everyone should consider when riding here, and the white lines and various marking I won't even go there

Funny, only talking about this yesterday, where I am, it has now been 7 weeks without a drop of rain, I think it's the build up of crap on the road, watch out when it rains again, going to be like ice scatting.

In the last couple of weeks, noticed how much noise a D-max or Hilux makes when doing a you turn? The tires are screeching.

Yeah - the invisible sand !!! Was coming down from Doi Tung, was some sand blown across the road. Such a small amount that it was invisible.

Had two fingers applying the front brake thru a RH turn - washed out. Stabbed my RH leg down on the road surface, and the shock travelled straight up thru my body to my head.

But was enuf to halt the force of gravity, and I made it around the immediate LH turn. Sure glad no one was coming up, as I used every inch of the road.

Woke me right up. Coffee - no need thanks !!!

I have found many mountain road in the North got chewed up pretty bad during the last rainy season so whether in the city or out in the countryside it might be advisable to exercise a little caution. One never knows what is waiting just over that rise or around that bend, so I figure it is better safe than sorry. That said the weather is great today so I’m off on the Ninja.

Hmmm... and I thought my rear suspension just needed adjusting... It seems everyone has problems with slipping...

What bike do you have Red21?

If the back end is under-dampened then the rear wheel could be getting to light (shifting the bikes weight to the front) when riding over bumps and undulations in the road.

I had this happen when i had my VFR400 here in Thailand, the rear shock seal blew out and i had no dampening at all, i didn't notice until i hit the first bump after the seal popped / split...... unfortunately i noticed mid corner and the back end nearly came round in front of me.

Edited by karlos

Hmmm... and I thought my rear suspension just needed adjusting... It seems everyone has problems with slipping...

What bike do you have Red21?

If the back end is under-dampened then the rear wheel could be getting to light (shifting the bikes weight to the front) when riding over bumps and undulations in the road.

I had this happen when i had my VFR400 here in Thailand, the rear shock seal blew out and i had no dampening at all, i didn't notice until i hit the first bump after the seal popped / split...... unfortunately i noticed mid corner and the back end nearly came round in front of me.

I have a fi CBR150. I actually had everything adjusted (clutch, brake, suspension) to my comfort before I took it from the shop last year. I've lost a considerable amount of weight since last year too.

I did check out the suspensions' seals for signs of leaks just to make sure, because a friend with the same bike as mine had a simllar problem as you did . A good thing we noticed it before any accident happened.

That's one scary situation there man, and to think Thai kids are driving these bikes without a fullface helmet...

Edited by RED21

Funny, only talking about this yesterday, where I am, it has now been 7 weeks without a drop of rain, I think it's the build up of crap on the road, watch out when it rains again, going to be like ice scatting.

In the last couple of weeks, noticed how much noise a D-max or Hilux makes when doing a you turn? The tires are screeching.

Bingo !

Happens every year and be aware of the first drops of rain. It is like ice then. Seen myself cars, vans and trucks slide out of the road on not so deep hill when the first drops of rain are coming down.

Bingo !

Happens every year and be aware of the first drops of rain. It is like ice then. Seen myself cars, vans and trucks slide out of the road on not so deep hill when the first drops of rain are coming down.

Yeh, it hasn't rained in Pattaya for ages now and there is a certain 'shimmer' on most roads.

The Pratumnak road/hill must be the most dangerous road in the world!!!

Accidents everyday without fail.

This could be due to lots of tourists of many nationalities riding bikes for the first time with their girlfriends on the back.

Be lucky.

yeh it's getting a bit unnerving to say the least, I'm finding myself to be more road surface grip concious than I would have been in the past, when I said 4th gear you should feel it in 1st 2nd and 3rd, 1st gear requires some very tentative power delivery on some roads lol but I guess just something everyone should consider when riding here, and the white lines and various marking I won't even go there

I wouldn't say unnerving so much as sensing the feed back of your bike and tyres is essential, getting to know all the different surfaces is great experiance for anyone riding a bike.

Front grip is much more important than the back IMO.

Tyre pressure correct or a psi 1 or 2 less better for me.

Adjustable suspension if you have it, trying different settings is good to muck about with until it feels right for you.

Sounds like you need a nice wide soft sticky tyre.biggrin.png you haven't got one of those bicycle thin tyres on, like the kids have on there mopeds & scoots do you.laugh.png

I ride the most powerful fastest production bike Honda has ever produced, the equipment I use is all standard, start messing with tyre width and your handling goes up in smoke, reality is that putting 165hp through a thin strip of tyre rubber is not easy anyway, and as for tyre pressure - all standard at 43psi, the roads are simply slippy and require some extra vigilance, straight line wheel spin is not an issue for me I was simply pointing out there has been a lot of it recently on some roads I frequent often, remember I'm doing over 220kmph in 4th 2 gears to go :)

Nice to hear that others have noticed this too

Edited by smedly

I wouldn't say unnerving so much as sensing the feed back of your bike and tyres is essential, getting to know all the different surfaces is great experiance for anyone riding a bike.

Front grip is much more important than the back IMO.

Spot on :)

I ride the most powerful fastest production bike Honda has ever produced, the equipment I use is all standard, start messing with tyre width and your handling goes up in smoke, reality is that putting 165hp through a thin strip of tyre rubber is not easy anyway, and as for tyre pressure - all standard at 43psi, the roads are simply slippy and require some extra vigilance, straight line wheel spin is not an issue for me I was simply pointing out there has been a lot of it recently on some roads I frequent often, remember I'm doing over 220kmph in 4th 2 gears to go smile.png

Nice to hear that others have noticed this too

43 psi cold?! blink.png No wonder you're sliding all over the place! rolleyes.gif

well I'm not sure what you're riding but when you have an engine the size of a small car on 2x wheels then that is a lot of heavy stuff going on there, if Honda says 43 psi then that is what I run at - actually anything less and I can feel it dragging and the front end I'd need power steering lol, been riding here for 7 years and my tyres are fine ............... the roads are not lol

anyway be safe guys and keep on the black stuff.

well I'm not sure what you're riding but when you have an engine the size of a small car on 2x wheels then that is a lot of heavy stuff going on there, if Honda says 43 psi then that is what I run at - actually anything less and I can feel it dragging and the front end I'd need power steering lol, been riding here for 7 years and my tyres are fine ............... the roads are not lol

Okay bro- if you think 43psi cold is appropriate for slippery Thai roads, enjoy your slippery ride and don't be surprised when my friends and I blast past you :)

What's the point of having a superbike if you run pressures so high your tires won't stick?

Why don't you visit a superbike forum and find out what pressures people are running. You'll find that you're definitely at the top of the range.

Okay bro- if you think 43psi cold is appropriate for slippery Thai roads, enjoy your slippery ride and don't be surprised when my friends and I blast past you smile.png

What's the point of having a superbike if you run pressures so high your tires won't stick?

Why don't you visit a superbike forum and find out what pressures people are running. You'll find that you're definitely at the top of the range.

32 front 36 rear for me :)

Back in my racing days, we went for the 10% rule.

Tire pressure should increase by that amount when going from cold to hot.

If less than 10% - tires have too much pressure when cold. If more than 10% - tires have not enuf.

Tell you what, I'm not going to take this thread down the usual rathole that happens on TV

I have raced for years in competition and I'm not going to get into a debate about "my" tyre pressure or anyone elses as

they all differ depending on what you ride, and as a side note I never mentioned once anything about "cold tyre pressure" all I

said was I run the recommended pressure for my bike wieght which is and always will be 43psi - as for using the road as a race track - have fun with that mate here in LOS - you won't last very long and if you do it is pure luck, I've been riding here for 7 years and only once did I feel uncomfortable when riding with a few guys from BKK who are simply an accident waiting to happen (never seen such careless dangerous riding in my life, I'd rather ride on my own than put myself at huge risk trying to (race) keep up up with idiots.

there we go, how easy is it for threads to deteriorate on here, so basically it's my fault and anyone one elses that is finding the same as me, you can mess around with pressures if you feel that way inclined mate I will never advise anyone about their bike setup especially something as critical as tyre pressure - but back on topic - the roads are still offering less grip than normal. Not sure som num na is constructive at all :)

Around Chiang Rai there is a lot of moving earth from one point to another at this time of year. The trucks leave vast quantities of dust and loose dirt on the road surfaces. Sometimes an attempt is made to reduce to clouds of dust, and water is sprayed over the road. Either way, wet or dry, it doesn’t lend itself to fancy maneuvering on the roads and the bike needs a good cleaning by the time I get home as well.

Tell you what, I'm not going to take this thread down the usual rathole that happens on TV

I have raced for years in competition and I'm not going to get into a debate about "my" tyre pressure or anyone elses as

they all differ depending on what you ride, and as a side note I never mentioned once anything about "cold tyre pressure" all I

said was I run the recommended pressure for my bike wieght which is and always will be 43psi - as for using the road as a race track - have fun with that mate here in LOS - you won't last very long and if you do it is pure luck, I've been riding here for 7 years and only once did I feel uncomfortable when riding with a few guys from BKK who are simply an accident waiting to happen (never seen such careless dangerous riding in my life, I'd rather ride on my own than put myself at huge risk trying to (race) keep up up with idiots.

As an alleged former racer I'm a bit surprised you're so ignorant of the relationship between tire pressure and traction. Not sure why you think this thread is going down a "rathole" - you've been given useful advice, but you choose to ignore it. Don't blame the roads when you choose to run your tires at rock hard pressure. Seems to me it's the wingnut between the handlebars and saddle that needs adjustment ;)

you just demonstrated the TV rathole as you cannot make a constructive post without personal insults, I won't reduce myself to your level as it's enough to show eveyone here exactly what and who you are,

oh and anyone else reading this forum be careful about the advise being given here, lowering tyre pressure has many other serious effects on your rubber especially heat and stability is another one, you could actually destroy your tyres running them too soft, I've seen it tyres deformed because pressure too low and they got too hot, tyre pressure is matched to the weight of the bike, if someone had the same tyres as I have on a lighter machine they would not be at 42-43psi, my cold pressure is arround 36-37psi any lower than this I'd need power steering.

Just be carefull out there and set your tyres at the recommended pressures by the bike manufacturer - they are right

Edited by smedly

I posted about the same as the OP about 4years ago, was having problems spinning up on XJR1200 Yam, running 42psi in rear, now, solo, 32psi, no damage to tyre and it doesnt spin, 2up, 38psi, fine,, mind you, spinning and leaving darkies on the road was fun,and also dangerous if you needed grip and didnt have it.

The roads here have a very different make-up compared to western roads, pretty sure there is cement in the road surface mix, I have never seen melting tarmac here, and the surface is well polished after a few years, lowering the pressure will increase the contact patch and improve grip, same with the front tyre if you ride hard here,

Have a look at this site, halfway down the page shows what pressures they were using,

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/4924/Motorcycle-Article/2009-DOT-Race-Motorcycle-Tire-Shootout.aspx

Yes ok, track conditions ect, i also read,but cant find it that Moto Gp have 6psi in rear,,

yeh track/race tyres are very very different to road tyres and so are the bikes (very light) unfortunately you cannot apply the same principals, you may have gotten away with it and felt comfortable with running low pressure - as I said earlier I would never advise anyone how to adjust the equipment on their ride but it's just worth noting that there are many things to consider temperature being the primary one for road tyres hot country low pressure, stability is next, my bike is very heavy and would be reluctant to drop pressure here. On a track using track tyres the primary indicator for suspension - temperature- weight distribution - and general balance of the bike is tearing indicators on the tyres, it is the single most comprehensive check that competition riders use to indicate how their setup is working during race conditions, on racing tyres 2-3psi can make dramatic differences to lap times.

I believe you are spot on when you talk about road composition here, you can even feel it under your boot, shiney hard glazed surface that doesn't melt under exstremely hot conditions, it even feels slippy under foot. If someone want to run low pressures in their tyres I would never ever argue against it as it's a complicated subject and probably a very situational and dependent on the bike the tyre and riding style................everybody to their own but it is still worth commenting on the possible outcome on changing tyre pressure, I've seen a few people here on various forums show pictures of deformed rear tyres and they where pretty new, not saying that pressure was a contributer but it is possible.

you just demonstrated the TV rathole as you cannot make a constructive post without personal insults, I won't reduce myself to your level as it's enough to show eveyone here exactly what and who you are,

oh and anyone else reading this forum be careful about the advise being given here, lowering tyre pressure has many other serious effects on your rubber especially heat and stability is another one, you could actually destroy your tyres running them too soft, I've seen it tyres deformed because pressure too low and they got too hot, tyre pressure is matched to the weight of the bike, if someone had the same tyres as I have on a lighter machine they would not be at 42-43psi, my cold pressure is arround 36-37psi any lower than this I'd need power steering.

Just be carefull out there and set your tyres at the recommended pressures by the bike manufacturer - they are right

Exactly !! there recommended pressures, tyre pressure increase with heat.

Your so assertive and your attitude makes for ridicule.

990 RC211V5 is the most powerful Honda by the way.

To ride a bike that spins up 1st to 4th is ridiculous state of affairs and one of a irresponsible inexperiance rider.